PDA

View Full Version : What would you do to complete this team?

Young
07-26-2007, 12:48 PM
It has been a slow summer. While we all thought some major moves would be made nothing has happened although something still could happen as August isn't even here yet.

But I was wondering what you guys would do with this team?

Many would trade Jermaine. I can't decide on this. I just wondering what really is avaliable. If it came down to it i'd take Bynum, Brown, Crittention (not Farmar), fillers (not Vladamir). I do this deal because I believe that Bynum will be a stud and JC has a chance to be a good player too. But I don't think that TPTB does a deal with Jermiane without getting a player like Lamar Odom in return so we can stay competitive.

One issue I have with this team right now is the logjam of small forwards. I'd trade Mike Dunleavy. He is the odd man out. We are keeping (we better atleast) Danny and Shawne and Marquis and Kareem are the shooting guards. I want to be able to play Kareem but can't do that much with Dunleavy on the team because him, Danny, and Marquis will take up the minutes at the 2-3 spots.

Not for sure who we can trade Dunleavy to. Maybe the Clippers but I don't know that I want Cuttino Mobley. Maybe the Heat but you people would be ****ed to get Antoine Walker, I wouldn't I actually like the idea of him on the team considering it would only be for a year or two. The Grizzles may have interest.

Doubt we move Dunleavy but i'd love to. It's not that I don't like what he brings to the table it's just that I want to able to see Kareem Rush play and use his 3 point shooting but we can't do that much with Dunleavy on the team. It's that simple.

I'd like to see us sign a big man. I don't really care who but sign one for depth. Scot Pollard, Josh Powell, Alan Henderson, Alexander Johnson, Dale Davis, Malik Allen, Brian Skinner, Marc Jackson are all bigs avaliable. All would probably sign for a one year deal or something. I'd like to have Scot back, I think he was a good influance in the locker room. Same with Dale. I also wouldn't mind Powell or Johnson though.

There is not really to much to do with this team. I don't know that I would keep Ownes and Graham. Maybe if we got rid of Dunleavy i'd keep Graham. I really feel that this team isn't yet complete and another made needs to be made but I don't know that one will.

pianoman
07-26-2007, 01:07 PM
I want scot too. Yet I see Dunleavy as our 3'rd scoring option under Granger and O'Neal.

Slick Pinkham
07-26-2007, 01:20 PM
Simply stated yet hard to execute:

Find a point guard worthy of being a STARTER,

a guy who is capable of defending somebody, who can also shoot reasonably well, and who can fit into O'Brien's offense and not dominate posession of the basketball.

Will Galen
07-26-2007, 01:23 PM
In any trades I made I would have to get picks for next years point guard laden draft.

GrangerRanger
07-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Well with our current situation, I can't see how we can really get anything. A three million dollar trade exception and barely any money salary cap wise makes it awfully hard. To tell you the truth. I just want to see how well the current team plays while healthy, then we can think about possible trades or signings next season. Theres no reason to pull the triger on a team that may be really good in itself.

For some reason I would like to see us pick up Damien Wilkins though. Maybe, just maybe he could become the human highlight film on our team. :dance:

Infinite MAN_force
07-26-2007, 03:16 PM
I pull the trigger on the JO trade.

Im not sure if Bynum is completily ready to step in and keep us competitive, though I think it could go either way, he made some strides last year. But if we struggle we can hope for a good draft pick at least (we also get LAs). I give him one more season before he really starts to break out and hopefully dominate the east.

Let things play out with Tinsley and hopefully replace him with crittendon by the time his contract is up. Critt is quicker and has the potential to be much better offensively... just needs to learn how to run an offense in the NBA, he has the tools, only time will tell.

If everything works out, you have gotten equal value for JO in Bynum and you have replaced Tinsley. You also had enough money to resign guys like granger, williams, diogu, etc...

Naptown_Seth
07-26-2007, 04:10 PM
In any trades I made I would have to get picks for next years point guard laden draft.
Yeah, me too. I'm fully prepared to deal with the coming season and think that "fixes" need to be thought of in a 2 year window. If JOB is your guy then take the time to long-term plan the roster changes so that his year 3 roster can play the style of ball he wants.

I don't mean tank to do this. I simply mean don't FORCE deals just to do them (ahem, GS deal). I like that they have sat on the JO deal rather than let LA push them around. With next year's draft you might not really need JC in a Lakers deal this year, certainly not Farmar.

If you could get a lottery pick (besides the Pacers own) in a deal, like the Knicks or perhaps even another team by throwing in your own future 1st, you could potentiall leave with something like both Gordon AND Hibbert, or Mayo and Collinson.

jeffg-body
07-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Honestly I would not do a whole lot more with exception of getting Darrell Armstrong back in. I don't think we need to try to break the bank for a PG in a trade and besides, the draft next year will be pretty stout with PG's.

Maybe trading a Jeff Foster(as much as I would hate to see him go) or Hulk with a team such as Houston for Head would be ok as well. I wouldn't do any trade with LA for because they are plain psycho and JO deserves better to be dropped in a mess like that, no matter how good they think they are. If things don't go well, we can always do a trade right before the deadline with a team that thinks with a JO they can go all of the way.

I think we will be better than most people think and may have a good shot to be in the middle of the field when it comes to the playoffs next year behind Detroit, Chicago, Toronto, NJ, Orlando and maybe Boston. A good coach I once had told me, "It's never as good or as bad as it seems". :D

CableKC
07-27-2007, 01:08 AM
Not that the Lakers would....but I would do a JONeal for a Bynum+Kwame+Critt+2008 1st round+filler ( not named VladRad ) deal just to completely start the rebuilding process.

But since TPTB won't rebuild but reload......then I would package Tinsley+Granger+Foster for the best starting Guard ( PG - 1st choice, SG - 2nd choice ) and then a 2nd/3rd string backup Big Man ( that can play PF and C ) and a Guard ( that can play SG and SF ).

GrangerRanger
07-27-2007, 01:18 AM
You understand we would have to put in atleast 3 guys to even make the happen. Straight up for all those guys would make Kobe more mad.

SoupIsGood
07-27-2007, 01:37 AM
I would pull a San Antonio.

Tell JO to sit out a year. Improbably, win the lottery. Draft the next great HOFer, have him team up with JO et al., win a handful of championships.

Ideally, Peyton Manning wins the SB in every year that the Pacers don't win the Finals.

CableKC
07-27-2007, 02:17 AM
You understand we would have to put in atleast 3 guys to even make the happen. Straight up for all those guys would make Kobe more mad.
Trading Kwame, Bynum and Crittenton...all players that would not help out Kobe in his immediate playoff run while keeping Odom...would make him mad?

Jose Slaughter
07-27-2007, 03:43 AM
Pull the trigger on an O'Neal to LA deal, Bynum, Brown & Radmanovic

Have David Harrison kill Tinsley, 2 birds with one stone theory

Trade Armstrong to NY for Mardy Collins

Retire Walsh

Replace Bird

Re-sign Dale Davis

Hire LaSalle Thompson as our big man coach

bellisimo
07-27-2007, 07:24 AM
get a mini-me...
if it can complete Dr. Evil....

D-BONE
07-27-2007, 08:01 AM
1st prefernce: Trade JO to LA hopefully for some Bynum & Odom or Bynum + Kwame + Crit + #1 combo.

2nd pref (regardless if above occurs): Move any of Foster, Tinsley, MDJ, Williams to net a starting PG, another SG option, or another good big. That may be easier said than done (particularly the starting PG), but I'm ready to move on from the JO, Tins, Foster core group once and for all.

JB's Breakout Year
07-27-2007, 09:35 AM
1: If it's available, trade JO to NJ for Krstic and Jefferson + minimal filler (not Collins). Gives us a young post presence, an upgrade over Dunleavy, Jr., and some salary relief.

2: Move Foster for a veteran shooter.

3: Move Dunleavy, Jr. if possible for cap relief. Trade him for a big who can defend.

4: Be patient in finding our area of biggest need, shooting guard. Maybe next year's draft....

DgR
07-27-2007, 10:11 AM
I would not trade JO to the Nets. Jefferson is way overated and Krstic is not enough to compensate.
I would, however, trade JO to LA for Bynum, Critt, Brown, future 1st + filler. Nothing less. (by the way I dont predict Bynum to turn out to be better than JO- but it's worth the gamble).

I agree that we have to find a solution to the SF logjam. But we have to be smart about it. I say- since we're in no rush to win right now- that we shouldn't trade DG, SW or Dun this summer as I think under JOB they will improve tremendously and so will their trade value. Another bonus is that we'll know a bit better which 2 of the 3 we should keep ( none of us know exactly what SW is capable of yet and maybe Dun could show another side of himself- I actualy like Dun- he's a nice player that put up some good numbers last year)
I think this team as it is will surprise a lot of people next year (though we still need a real PG& C- I like Quis at SG and think he should deffinitely start ahead of Dun)

Infinite MAN_force
07-27-2007, 10:59 AM

The whole idea here is salary relief, we dont want this dude eating up 6 million a year for the next 4 years. I think the idea was for them to sign and trade aaron mckie and send cash, and we just waive the guy (I think hes retiring anyway). Then Browns contract comes off the book next year.

Infinite MAN_force
07-27-2007, 11:05 AM
I would not trade JO to the Nets. Jefferson is way overated and Krstic is not enough to compensate.
I would, however, trade JO to LA for Bynum, Critt, Brown, future 1st + filler. Nothing less. (by the way I dont predict Bynum to turn out to be better than JO- but it's worth the gamble).

I agree that we have to find a solution to the SF logjam. But we have to be smart about it. I say- since we're in no rush to win right now- that we shouldn't trade DG, SW or Dun this summer as I think under JOB they will improve tremendously and so will their trade value. Another bonus is that we'll know a bit better which 2 of the 3 we should keep ( none of us know exactly what SW is capable of yet and maybe Dun could show another side of himself- I actualy like Dun- he's a nice player that put up some good numbers last year)
I think this team as it is will surprise a lot of people next year (though we still need a real PG& C- I like Quis at SG and think he should deffinitely start ahead of Dun)

I agree with this, If we can get Shawne Williams developed he could be very good trade value for a position of need later on.

Although with JOB's system, its actually sort of a non-issue. Because the two forward positions are interchangeable. We may actually end up with a Granger/Williams starting frontcourt eventually. If shawne really pans out that is. JO (or Bynum :D) would be the center.

JB's Breakout Year
07-27-2007, 11:22 AM
I haven't seen a ton of Nets games, but Jefferson is underrated if anything. He's probably underused, too. He has to shared shots with Carter, and seems to have adjusted his game well.

He's young, can jump out of the gym, gets to the rim, defends the perimeter well, and shoots reasonably well.

Krstic went 16 and (nearly) 7 before he got hurt this year, he's 7 feet, and he just turned 24. Sounds pretty damn good to me.

D-BONE
07-27-2007, 11:56 AM
I haven't seen a ton of Nets games, but Jefferson is underrated if anything. He's probably underused, too. He has to shared shots with Carter, and seems to have adjusted his game well.

He's young, can jump out of the gym, gets to the rim, defends the perimeter well, and shoots reasonably well.

Krstic went 16 and (nearly) 7 before he got hurt this year, he's 7 feet, and he just turned 24. Sounds pretty damn good to me.

I haven't seen a ton of the Nets either. I have an acquaintance who has seen more than me and suggests Jefferson is a star in waiting b/c he has to abdicate to Carter so much. I don't know. That view and the Jefferson as slightly overrated (when the two other stars are taken away) both seem plausible to me. Again, don't think I feel confident enough to endorse either interpretation.

NashvilleKat
07-28-2007, 12:24 PM
My #1 Priority would be to hire the very best "big man" coach available to work exclusively with David Harrison. DH has some very strong assets, such as shooting touch, size, and desire. But he doesn't have a clue how to play the game...the fundamentals. Because of a lack of coaching in his background he gets frustrated and confused with what the refs and coaches expect of him. With proper big-man coaching, he could develop into a big time eastern conference center.

DgR
07-28-2007, 07:18 PM

I remember Krstic being a very good player- with a good shooting touch but he's a bit soft- we'll be the worst rebounding team in the league.
I think Kidd made Jefferson what he is today- without his fast break assists- Jefferson's efficiency and value would go down.

JB's Breakout Year
07-28-2007, 08:07 PM
I remember Krstic being a very good player- with a good shooting touch but he's a bit soft- we'll be the worst rebounding team in the league.
I think Kidd made Jefferson what he is today- without his fast break assists- Jefferson's efficiency and value would go down.
Kidd IS great and he makes everyone around him better, but there is more to Jefferson than just being a finisher. And while Krstic may not be nearly the defender or athlete JO is, JO isn't really a dominant rebounder anyway, so that probably wouldn't be a huge difference.

BlueNGold
07-28-2007, 08:35 PM
I would move JO because of his contract and injury history...and the fact most of our other talent is young....and I believe JO's trade value will not get higher than right now.

I would ONLY do the NJ trade if we could not swing a deal with LA to get Bynum. But I would do either one. RJ + a young Krstic is > JO...particularly since we need shooting and they are both very good shooters.

Back to Bynum.

Andrew is already a starting calibre NBA C at the age of 19-20. You add Critt, another pick and some salary relief, and I think that's the best deal we will get for JO. Bynum fills a position of great need on this team....a physical presence who will shoot for a nice percentage. Let him grow up with Granger or Williams, add some talent in the back court out of next year's draft and we might have a really good team in a few years.

rexnom
07-28-2007, 09:24 PM
I've written and erased things so many times. I'm just frustrated. This roster makes NO SENSE. I don't want to bring up the GS trade either so I'll just shush.

I think I'm firmly entrenched in the "keep JO" camp now. We are terrible. There is no way we can't get a decent SG prospect next year in the draft even if we have JO.

Anthem
07-29-2007, 12:16 AM
This isn't a team built for the postseason. It's not even built for the regular season. It's slapped together with Bond-O and packing tape, and covered with a nice new coat of paint.

I'm not really interested in moving JO unless we're also moving Murphy. If we do an LA trade, I'd hope to move Murphy to Miami for Twan Walker.

hoopsforlife
07-29-2007, 07:37 AM

Retire Walsh

Replace Bird

Re-sign Dale Davis

Jose: I really believe we should give Bird a chance to prove what he can do on his own for a year or two. Other than that I think you are spot on. :)

Mourning
07-29-2007, 07:47 AM

:ding: :amen:

That should indeed be a given.

DisplacedKnick
07-29-2007, 10:05 AM

Isiah's completely clueless about how to put a team together but I don't think he's mentally deranged.

As for your team - good luck. I'm trying to figure out why management seems determined to put together a team so completely lacking in players able to do what the coach wants.

Carlisle likes a half-court defensive oriented game so they bring in two poor defenders who are at their best in the open court.

Then, being a poor 3-pt shooting team, you bring in a coach who historically has run an offense tremendously dependent on 3-pt shooting - and who also likes tough, defensively minded players.

As for individual moves - at this point there are no individual moves. There's just a comprehensive, extensive rebuilding process - unless you're stasified with sneaking into the playoffs as a lower seed and being eliminated in the 1st rd (like Isiah/Dolan). The East sucks bad enough that 1-2 moves might be enough to get that done. But to be a contender? The only positions you're set at are PF and SF - and the PF is the one player you might be able to trade and get something back for. The guys lobbying for draft picks have it right.

Good luck.

NPFII
07-29-2007, 10:46 AM
get a mini-me...
if it can complete Dr. Evil....

Been there. Done that. Didnt work.

[...Check out my avatar]

BlueNGold
07-29-2007, 11:14 AM

Retire Walsh

Replace Bird

Re-sign Dale Davis

Just a few minor adjustments:

Replace Radman with Critt, Mckie resigned then cut + 3M cash

No need to trade Army. Not happening anyway.

And you have a great plan.

rexnom
07-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Can we add big-man coach to our list of overrated PD things like "Kurt Thomas: TD-stopper" and "Mike Bibby: still one of the league's premier pgs" among others?

We've got a decent head coach and a good defensive assistant coach. I'm happy.

Kegboy
07-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Can we add big-man coach to our list of overrated PD things like "Kurt Thomas: TD-stopper" and "Mike Bibby: still one of the league's premier pgs" among others?

That's fine, as long as we add Kevin Durant too. :tongue:

rexnom
07-29-2007, 05:43 PM
That's fine, as long as we add Kevin Durant too. :tongue:
Oh man, that's below the belt. Just below...although you are probably right...yikes!

DgR
07-29-2007, 06:41 PM
If we do the NJ trade we'll have a good shooting team but no low post presence and no rebounding. That's fixing one problem and creating another (and in my opinion a bigger problem as well) and dont you tell me there's nothing to worry about cause we'll get Collins too!:D

DgR
07-29-2007, 06:44 PM
We'll have our chance to get a good shooter in next year's draft but won't be able to get a good tough minded big man- and it'll probably be harder to get one in a trade too.

The LA trade is a completely different story...

Brian
07-29-2007, 07:08 PM
1)-I'd admit to myself and to the fans that we are in fact "rebuilding".
2)-I would find out where Jermaine stands,if I got the feeling that he was going to leave after his contract I would try to trade him ASAP.
3)-I would quit scouting in europe and focus on players in the USA.
4)-I would realize that I am going to have to trade either Murphy or Dunleavy to free up cap space (probably packaging them with something).And knowing that I wont come out on top with whatever deal it would be.
5)-Get a few lottery picks over the next few years and build off of that.
6)-Sign a couple GOOD vets

I could go on and on

OnlyPacersLeft
07-29-2007, 08:26 PM
we are going to suck so bad if we move JO to the nets...what a horrible deal.

BlueNGold
07-29-2007, 09:18 PM
If we do the NJ trade we'll have a good shooting team but no low post presence and no rebounding. That's fixing one problem and creating another (and in my opinion a bigger problem as well) and dont you tell me there's nothing to worry about cause we'll get Collins too!:D

If we do the NJ trade, rebounding will not be the issue. Foster is better and Murphy is about as good at rebounding as JO. MDJ is pretty good too. The hole will be on the interior defense and particularly shot blocking presence....boy we could use Baston about now. We will stank (pardon the pun) mightily on that. With our putrid perimeter D, it will be layup city baby! ...but we will be a much better shooting team. RJ and Krstic can fill it up.

DgR
07-30-2007, 08:26 AM
If we do the NJ trade, rebounding will not be the issue. Foster is better and Murphy is about as good at rebounding as JO. MDJ is pretty good too. The hole will be on the interior defense and particularly shot blocking presence....boy we could use Baston about now. We will stank (pardon the pun) mightily on that. With our putrid perimeter D, it will be layup city baby! ...but we will be a much better shooting team. RJ and Krstic can fill it up.

That team sounds a lot worse to me than what we currently have. I'd rather keep JO and look for another deal. If LA isn't interested- I'd simply keep JO

DisplacedKnick
07-30-2007, 08:52 AM
That team sounds a lot worse to me than what we currently have. I'd rather keep JO and look for another deal. If LA isn't interested- I'd simply keep JO

The way the team's put together right now you're going to be bad either way IMO. Just depends if you want to be 30-35 win bad with JO or 20-25 win bad without him - but with more pieces that can help you improve down the road.

If there was some way you could bring in another good player without moving JO I'd say go for it - but there isn't unless you deal Granger which I think would be foolish.

DgR
07-30-2007, 09:22 AM
The way the team's put together right now you're going to be bad either way IMO. Just depends if you want to be 30-35 win bad with JO or 20-25 win bad without him - but with more pieces that can help you improve down the road.

If there was some way you could bring in another good player without moving JO I'd say go for it - but there isn't unless you deal Granger which I think would be foolish.

Indeed we will. I think a player of JO's caliber has much more trade value than RJ and Krstic, and those two players aren't exactly going to turn things around for us anyway (exactly the opposite), so to me- there's no point doing the trade.

If a third team would somehow get involved and take Murphy off our hands it may be worth it- but that won't happen.

I'd much rather trying to build around JO than around RJ or Krstic.

Infinite MAN_force
07-31-2007, 12:59 AM
The NJ trade seems like such a lateral move to me, I really hope that or something similar does NOT happen. Id much rather just keep JO and see what happens.

Maybe I have a big gay mancrush on Bynum, but I just dont see any other scenario where we will get a true possible FRANCHISE player for JO. If we dont make this (LA) trade i have this nasty gut feeling it will really be regretted while we watch bynum develop and dominate --- seeing what could have been. :(

we also wont be bad enough to get a really good draft pick... :shrug:

BlueNGold
07-31-2007, 07:38 PM

I think we're still better with Krstic, RJ and Collins. Shooting is more important than shot blocking. Krstic is a dead eye and will need to be guarded. RJ is also an excellent offensive player. Those two will probably be worth 35ppg on a regular basis while JO is worth only 20. Sure, we may give up another 5-10 ppg without JO's defense, but we come out ahead IMO.

If Ike shows some improvement, it will make a HUGE difference at PF. He obviously has the post skills to score against most players...and for the others he has a nice midrange shot. I hope a product of any JO trade is the emergence of Ike.

As for the C position and protecting the paint, we can throw several bodies into the C position including Collins, Foster, Harrison and of course Krstic. A couple more legit C's would not hurt this team.

The real problem will be RJ's contract. It will cause problems down the road. However, we might still do this deal, then trade RJ later this year.

Anthem
07-31-2007, 10:48 PM
I hate the NJ trade. I don't think it helps us much.

At this point, I'd just focus on trying to move Murphy and Dunleavy.

able
08-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Some quick thoughts on this:

A trade will make one team better, for the other it is the beginning of more moves., after all why would you trade to improve the other team and why would they want to trade what they give you for your player if it was not for them thinking they would improve so in ergo you would get the lesser of the two.

We could start by thinking outside the box, after all that's what Boston did to get KG, why are we dead set to trade JO, our best player by far and far, whlist we have roster problems with for instance Murphy's contract.
There is no better PG on the market than what we have but we do need a good SG, we have multiple talents at SF/PF so why not trade those for a talent at SG to a team that has a glut at that position.

The object of a trade is to improve, you normally don't do that by giving away your best player, unless you are sure of the talent that comes back, we should know that talent alone don't mean that much, after our JB outings.

I would look to package Murphy with for instance Williams or even Ike to see what I can get in the market, Murphy is to expensive for what he brings and either Ike or Williams is redundant, we have to many at that position anyway.

If something was offered for DG that resembled a likewise talent at SG then we can also pull the trigger, having more then enough players in that position (MD, Quis, or even Williams)

There are so many other options that we are not even discussing because a few of you are to busy trading away our best player for a bag of peanuts that I sometimes wonder.