PDA

View Full Version : Pacers Digest - Where Do You Work?

bellisimo
07-25-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm happy to see such Pacers enthusiasts; however sometimes I wonder how people manage to find the time to post well thought out posts...so my question is - Where do you work?! :)

I'll kick things off...

I'm working as a Sales Manager/Assistant Casting Director/TV Editor for a company that produces interactive TV game shows.

What do you do? If you're going to school - feel free to chime in! :)

Robobtowncolt
07-25-2007, 09:28 AM
I'm unemployed in a week and couldn't be happier. Have a month off before law school starts that way. Going to Cancun and then Indy to see family. Maybe I'll swing by Spicoli's to drop something off.

Gyron
07-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Don't forget your own coat hanger.

Spicoli
07-25-2007, 10:12 AM
As Stryder suggested, I'm more than willing to provide complimentary plastic knives. But you might want to bring some oven mits............

Gyron
07-25-2007, 10:13 AM
I work at a consumer products company. I am the markeitng Product Manager and also do IT and sales for this division as well. We are a small division of a VERY large private consumer products company. So everyone here wears many hats.

Raskolnikov
07-25-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm doing a PhD about astronomy (cosmological simulations to be more precise) at the university of Gent.

Gyron
07-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Astronomy huh? So whats my horoscope this week?

(I kid, I kid!)

Robobtowncolt
07-25-2007, 10:39 AM
After law school, I plan on representing unemployed and constantly discriminated against big man coaches.

317Kim
07-25-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm happily unemployed, but will be a junior at Lawrence North HS this year.

Raskolnikov
07-25-2007, 11:57 AM

(I kid, I kid!)
A mysterious someone offers you a big man coach. This could be the chance you've been waiting for all along, but be careful to not take your loved ones for granted once you get ahold of his services.

JayRedd
07-25-2007, 12:20 PM
I work as a an editor at a small business trade magazine.

Trader Joe
07-25-2007, 01:27 PM
I work at the family Real Estate company during the summer. At night I masquerade as a super hero or Jamaal Tinsley's alter ego.

Gyron
07-25-2007, 01:30 PM
A mysterious someone offers you a big man coach. This could be the chance you've been waiting for all along, but be careful to not take your loved ones for granted once you get ahold of his services.
:laugh:

So When's Jay coming to Charlotte? A big man coach huh? I wonder if that could step up my life and fix my face.

obnoxiousmodesty
07-25-2007, 02:12 PM
I'm a full-time student at Purdue (somewhat long story) and also a full-time employee at the university in their Printing Services copy center department. If you ever receive any mail asking you for money from Purdue, odds are decent I helped produce it.

Depending on what I choose, I will graduate with a degree in history in August or December of 2008. After that, I have my heart set on a dual degree history/library science masters program at IU. Other grad schools on my list are Kent State and Wisconsin.

Stryder
07-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Senior Chemist in Research and Development in a forensic toxicology laboratory in Indianapolis.

Unclebuck
07-25-2007, 02:47 PM
After law school, I plan on representing unemployed and constantly discriminated against big man coaches.

LOL

You'll be a millionaire

RWB
07-25-2007, 02:59 PM
My job is to say NO alot.

MagicRat
07-25-2007, 03:04 PM
I work in Indy as an entry-level transponster.

Los Angeles
07-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Do you have a few hours for me to explain?

bellisimo
07-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Do you have a few hours for me to explain?

its you that seems like needs the time to explain ;)
if you got it - go right ahead :D

bellisimo
07-25-2007, 03:09 PM
My job is to say NO alot.

its not easy being a parent...

Gyron
07-25-2007, 03:19 PM

He does babysit a lot.....Or what seems to be babysitting to a bunch of spoiled brats....

RWB
07-25-2007, 03:21 PM

You're closer to reality than you can imagine. :D

bellisimo
07-25-2007, 03:25 PM
You're closer to reality than you can imagine. :D

maybe i should start seeking a career in psychic hotline....:-p

DisplacedKnick
07-25-2007, 03:30 PM
I work as a an editor at a small business trade magazine.

uh ... :D

Spicoli
07-25-2007, 03:45 PM
I create tax shelters. :uhoh:

bellisimo
07-25-2007, 03:47 PM
I create tax shelters. :uhoh:

atleast you aren't a plumber...

Spicoli
atleast you aren't a plumber...

Only in my spare time............

bellisimo

ouch....well he did say it was small :)

Gyron
07-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Most plumbers don't use coat hangers in my experience.....

Spicoli
07-25-2007, 03:49 PM
I thought I was going to have to get one of those "snakes" yesterday. :)

bellisimo
07-25-2007, 03:49 PM
Only in my spare time............

no need to take this thread down the crapper...:D

JayRedd
07-25-2007, 04:34 PM

A more dishonest man than myself would claim that was actually a very clever joke....

I, on the other hand, am simply dumb.

SoupIsGood
07-25-2007, 04:57 PM
I worked as a florist during high school.

Now, I'm a student at Butler and not much else. I take as many classes as possible. English/Philosophy major.

In a month, they'll be paying me to work as a writing tutor thing, so that'll at least be some kind of income.

After school... will be more school. The more I think about it, the more I think I'll probably end up doing the college prof thang. I think I could be an OK teacher.

Cobol Sam
07-26-2007, 01:02 AM
I just finished school (again) and have taken a job offer as a Rehabilitation Counselor for people with mental illnesses. I start Monday so I couldn't tell you much about the job other than I will provide counseling to mentally ill teens and adults trying to transition back into the community.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
07-26-2007, 02:39 AM
Ive been mostly unemployed this summer, but as of this week Im working at an electronics warehouse/assembly lab. And it is by far the crappiest job Ive ever had in my life. Basically my job is to open boxes of computer parts, and organize them on carts so the assemblers have an easier time. Its really exciting.

But the worst part is the atmosphere. Every single employee looks like they are on the verge of suicide, Ive never seen people work so slow. The place is just so damned depressing. Luckily Im only working there for the rest of the summer until school starts (4 weeks), and I cant wait to get out of there.

Then its back to being a full-time student. Im working on my bachelor's in aerospace engineering. Hopefully Ill graduate sometime this decade so I dont have to take anymore of these crappy Summer jobs.

SoupIsGood
07-26-2007, 03:18 AM
I just finished school (again) and have taken a job offer as a Rehabilitation Counselor for people with mental illnesses. I start Monday so I couldn't tell you much about the job other than I will provide counseling to mentally ill teens and adults trying to transition back into the community.

That is awesome man. If I were more of a people person, I'd totally help people w/ rehab. (Drug rehab is what'd I like to help w/) But generally I'm not a very comforting person. Hell I wouldn't want rehab help from myself if I were in trouble.

avoidingtheclowns
07-26-2007, 09:39 AM
my official title is "communications resources associate" which is code for 'department monkey'. i do everything from media relations (press releases, working with journalists, etc.) to corporate events and updating the company intranet. i started out as a media relations intern last fall and this place (an audio-dominant international media and news organization of the non-profit variety) apparently wanted to keep me for some reason. i'm still technically a temp but it may be moving to f/t soon.

Fool
07-26-2007, 09:39 AM
I worked as a florist during high school.

Now, I'm a student at Butler and not much else. I take as many classes as possible. English/Philosophy major.

In a month, they'll be paying me to work as a writing tutor thing, so that'll at least be some kind of income.

After school... will be more school. The more I think about it, the more I think I'll probably end up doing the college prof thang. I think I could be an OK teacher.

I've got a degree in Philosophy. What's your flavor?

Pingu
07-26-2007, 10:29 AM

Who would have thought PD was the home of so many philosophers?

I will be a visiting student in the department of philosophy at the University of Virginia next year (I'll also be a TA in their French Department). I specialize in phil. of mind/phil. of science.

Hey SiG, do you know Stuart Glennan at Butler? I've been in contact with him a few times, he seems to be a very nice guy, and he's a very good philosopher of science too!

Fool
07-26-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm more of an existentialist but Epistomology and issues like the problem of consciousness are certainly very interesting to me. Some of my favorite moments in college were talking to a particular phil or science focused student in the philosophy lounge at school.

avoidingtheclowns
07-26-2007, 11:47 AM
the great thing about deciding to major in philosophy is you don't have to know why.

Since86
07-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Right now I'm a full time student at Ball State, but I work in my dad's State Farm Insurance office in the afternoons. Dealing with people on insurance sucks. Everyone seems to think I can just give them any rate I want, and can manage to charge them very little. No one seems to realize that SF has over half a million dollars in stake everytime you get behind the wheel, so I get *****ed at everyday.

I'm going for an Exercise Science major, with the hope of getting into Cardiac Rehab.

SoupIsGood
07-26-2007, 02:04 PM

I actually haven't started the coursework yet--I added the major at the end of last year. I took an honors course last year that was philosophy based, and it interested me. So basically... :shrug:

I've been intending to start reading up on it, though. Once I finish HP. Should I just start with the classics, So-Pl-Ar? Or what do you recommend?

Who would have thought PD was the home of so many philosophers?

I will be a visiting student in the department of philosophy at the University of Virginia next year (I'll also be a TA in their French Department). I specialize in phil. of mind/phil. of science.

Hey SiG, do you know Stuart Glennan at Butler? I've been in contact with him a few times, he seems to be a very nice guy, and he's a very good philosopher of science too!

I think he's the head of the Philosophy dept. He does seems like a good guy, though I don't really know him too well. If I had been more on the ball, my philosophy class would have been with him next year. His classes fill up fast.

Fool
07-26-2007, 03:00 PM
You can start anywhere. I started with Marxism (I had been a History major and ended up double majoring in the two) which made the class harder because I didn't have any experience but the philosophy itself more interesting, as it was more complex. You need to know the Classics but because its the beginning of Western philosophy all the issues covered there are pretty rudimentary.

So I guess I'd say that if you start with the Classics make sure you don't overload on them to the point of boredom. Not that things like The Republic are without excitement.

ilive4sports
07-26-2007, 04:22 PM
Im a cashier at a grocery store. Im still in high school though. I hope to go to Syracuse and major in sports management and journalism and become a sports journalist. IU is also on my list of schools that i would like to attend since they also have a strong communications school.

cramerica
07-26-2007, 04:24 PM
I'm in the Air Force and work with computers/servers and make sure our network stays up and all the other stuff to go with that.

What I really want to do is to one day open up my own business in landscaping. I'm actually going to start working towards that these last 10 years of my career.

JayRedd
07-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Im a cashier at a grocery store. Im still in high school though. I hope to go to Syracuse and major in sports management and journalism and become a sports journalist. IU is also on my list of schools that i would like to attend since they also have a strong communications school.

Both Indiana and Syracuse have very good journalism programs. I've heard a lot of people say 'Cuse is the best in the East.

Good luck.

SoupIsGood
07-26-2007, 09:55 PM
You can start anywhere. I started with Marxism (I had been a History major and ended up double majoring in the two) which made the class harder because I didn't have any experience but the philosophy itself more interesting, as it was more complex. You need to know the Classics but because its the beginning of Western philosophy all the issues covered there are pretty rudimentary.

So I guess I'd say that if you start with the Classics make sure you don't overload on them to the point of boredom. Not that things like The Republic are without excitement.

Yeah, I'll be dabbing in other stuff as well. My primary interest is fiction writing, so I'll be reading fiction/poetry, and will probably try to dig into some other branches of philosophy. Wittgenstein's ideas seem kind of cool sometimes. I was thinking about looking for one of those edited books that sort of show you the way through his stuff.

efx
07-27-2007, 07:04 AM
I'm currently a level/mission designer for DICE here in Sweden (most known for their Battlefield 1942, 2, 2142 games and rallisport challenge) currently working on the next iteration of the Battlefield Series for the nextgen consoles.

I absolutely love my job, there's nothing quite like doing what you love and have been doing as a hobby for years and suddenly get paid for it. Plus the vacation is fantastic too.

I miss seeing American sports on tv though :(

Cobol Sam
07-27-2007, 01:59 PM
That is awesome man. If I were more of a people person, I'd totally help people w/ rehab. (Drug rehab is what'd I like to help w/) But generally I'm not a very comforting person. Hell I wouldn't want rehab help from myself if I were in trouble.

Drug rehab might be fitting for you actually. A lot of the care philosophies for juvenile drug rehab focus on behavior modification. Not too much pampering goes on with that. What is\are your degree(s) in?

ABADays
07-27-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm in the Air Force and work with computers/servers and make sure our network stays up and all the other stuff to go with that.

What I really want to do is to one day open up my own business in landscaping. I'm actually going to start working towards that these last 10 years of my career.

Figures you would end up in Kirkuk instead of Balad. I've been to 5th World countries where the internet and servers work better.

Before I came here my code name was "Condor" and I followed every move made by btown. He will deny it so I must have been very stealthy.

idioteque
07-27-2007, 09:23 PM
I work retail to get by for now, but I am an International Affairs major in school here in DC and I have one year left.

The East Coast is driving me crazy with its large population of work obsessed tightasses, the Midwest is boring as hell, so I'm trying the West Coast next.

indyman37
07-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Sophmore in high school, what can I say. I do a little bit of everything from construction work to babysitting to mowing lawns, the works.

Diamond Dave
07-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm an EMT and full-time Paramedic student. I am only 3 months away from the end of my Paramedic training. After I'm done with my training I plan on taking the next few years to make some decent money for a change. I may one day go on to complete some RN training, but only for the money, cause I don't want to be a nurse.

Los Angeles
07-27-2007, 11:46 PM
Drug rehab might be fitting for you actually. A lot of the care philosophies for juvenile drug rehab focus on behavior modification. Not too much pampering goes on with that. What is\are your degree(s) in?

Exactly.

In most systems, drug rehab is WAR. It takes a tough, confident, consistent person for this job. It's not about sympathizing at all, it's about re-training someone into sober society.

What social skills does a football coach have? Not much if any. But they are good at what they do. Same goes for many rehabilitation systems. Someone has to be the coach.

EDIT: as an aside, many of the "touchy-feely-healthy-living" systems flat out don't work. Look at Lindsay Lohan. How many times has she been to "Promises"? That place is a $10,000 a week joke.

Eindar
07-28-2007, 04:00 AM
I'm currently a level/mission designer for DICE here in Sweden (most known for their Battlefield 1942, 2, 2142 games and rallisport challenge) currently working on the next iteration of the Battlefield Series for the nextgen consoles.

I absolutely love my job, there's nothing quite like doing what you love and have been doing as a hobby for years and suddenly get paid for it. Plus the vacation is fantastic too.

I miss seeing American sports on tv though :(

Wow, how sweet is that?! You work on video games all day, and live in close proximity to Swedish women....

Eindar
07-28-2007, 04:04 AM
I'm a "Telecommunications Operator II" for the Indiana State Police. More specifically, I work in the Data Operations Center. What I do is basically serve as the third shift help desk for every dispatcher in the entire state. I get paid to be a know-it-all, which is about perfect for me. It doesn't pay very well, but it's quiet enough that I can study while I work. I should have my BS in Accounting in about a year or so from Indiana Tech.

Long term plan is to get my MBA and become a CPA, possibly working for the IRS as a Special Agent (the people who catch big time tax cheaters), or possibly in the private sector.

cramerica
07-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Figures you would end up in Kirkuk instead of Balad. I've been to 5th World countries where the internet and servers work better.

Before I came here my code name was "Condor" and I followed every move made by btown. He will deny it so I must have been very stealthy.
I know a couple of guys that work in Comm down there from my base back in Tucson. But they aren't exactly our "top-notch" guys if you know what I mean. And believe me, our stuff up here isn't any better than what you guys have. We just work with what was given to us.

Dab
07-28-2007, 02:07 PM
Went to Purdue, majored in computer science, dropped out. Went to IU, majored in computer science, minored in recreational pharmacy, dropped out. Now I work as a systems administrator for a company that offers interactive online training geared towards the prepress and desktop publishing industry.

bellisimo
07-28-2007, 02:59 PM
it is nice to see that we are all over the place in regards to job fields...

campy
07-29-2007, 11:22 PM
I am both librarian and trash man.

heywoode
07-31-2007, 10:40 PM
I am the GIS Manager for Huntington County, Indiana. I won't bother explaining what GIS is...look it up if you're interested.

I greatly enjoy my job, but the pay isn't great. My wife works in the Courthouse as well, and I get to be a "government worker" with all the perks that entails....(you know, crappy thousand dollar raises every few years, lots of public interaction with morons, lots of watching other gov't workers make more money for doing less because the 'position' pays the same regardless of which semi-skilled imbecile fills it...) at least we get good vacation time and 14 paid holidays a year!

I have been making maps and studying geography since I was about 6 years old so this must be the right vocation for me. At least now I get to use cool tools and great data to make kickass maps!

If anyone is actually interested in GIS, the easiest example of it is Google Earth. A more localized example is the county GIS website that I maintain at gis.huntington.in.us . About a third of the counties in the state have an online GIS map service and it can be fun to peruse the aerial photography of areas I've been to on the ground but never seen from the sky....

Life is good, so I can't complain too much...

SycamoreKen
07-31-2007, 10:43 PM
I work for physicians group as a trainer. I am training the schedilers and front desk staff in the clinics the new scheduling system we are installing. It is weird in that the material I am teaching is still evolving since the system is still not finished. Being a former teacher it is strange to go into the class knowing I am not teaching them everything they will need to know. Guess that is called job security.

Now that I am working in a professional setting other than teaching, I have learned that the way the corporate world is run, at least the place I am at, is not much better than the way schools are run. I got out of teaching because of all of the b.s. one has to go through outside of dealing with the kids. My current job is showing me every day that I wasn't in such a bad place, at least at the elementary level. I will probably end up back there in the fall of '08. If I didn't have a sense of resposibility to my immediate boss and the people I am training, I would probably be hunting for a teaching job for this fall.

Eindar
07-31-2007, 11:13 PM
I am the GIS Manager for Huntington County, Indiana. I won't bother explaining what GIS is...look it up if you're interested.

I greatly enjoy my job, but the pay isn't great. My wife works in the Courthouse as well, and I get to be a "government worker" with all the perks that entails....(you know, crappy thousand dollar raises every few years, lots of public interaction with morons, lots of watching other gov't workers make more money for doing less because the 'position' pays the same regardless of which semi-skilled imbecile fills it...) at least we get good vacation time and 14 paid holidays a year!

I have been making maps and studying geography since I was about 6 years old so this must be the right vocation for me. At least now I get to use cool tools and great data to make kickass maps!

If anyone is actually interested in GIS, the easiest example of it is Google Earth. A more localized example is the county GIS website that I maintain at gis.huntington.in.us . About a third of the counties in the state have an online GIS map service and it can be fun to peruse the aerial photography of areas I've been to on the ground but never seen from the sky....

This sounds like a really cool job. What qualifications/skills do you need?

Skaut_Ech
08-01-2007, 08:54 AM

I Love GIS. I use it all the time. One way I use it is as a tool to show how a stalker has no reason to be in a certain area (victim's home not on a through street, natural boundries, etc), or to show how a stalker is able to have a view of a victim's home from a certain spot.

In the past, we would use it for serving warrants or doing raids to show areas where someone may run and areas to set up perimeters to contain a situation. I can tell ya this guy really appreciates your work!

DisplacedKnick
08-01-2007, 10:31 AM

Did I meet you at a Schneider Corp training this winter?

indygeezer
08-01-2007, 11:45 AM
Y'all make me feel like a moronic slacker.

BA in Biology retired from a MAJOR Indianapolis based big pharma corp. after 40 years. Am now a realtor (as if ya didn't already know) and living my life vicariously thru my kids.

Oh, and I gota take care of Gamble too.

Hicks
08-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Unemployed. :kickcan:

Skaut_Ech
08-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Unemployed. :kickcan:

Are you saying being our hero isn't work? :)

:devil: :hug:

Mourning
08-01-2007, 12:28 PM

(I kid, I kid!)

:spitout: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

As for me... I work at a judicial process server firm. Basically, very simplified, what we do is to handout subpoena's, a sentence writ on, laying seizures on bank accounts, pensions, salary on copyrights (basically anything that holds value and has a clearcut owner), we deliver divorcement papers with writ on, represent clients in lower court cases, etc, etc. Pretty broad scope.

I'm not a proces server myself, and I don't ever want to become one. Basically, I make sure that everything that's officially handed out is done according to the rules laid down in law books, subpoena's delivered to us by lawyers, banks, etc are checked for all kinds of things, so cases don't crash on futilities such as letting legal deadlines pass or pure stupidities such as forgetting to put in notices for multiple defendants, and so on, and so on.

Not what I always wanted to do (Royal Military Academy, making an officers career with the recconnaissance or air assault troops), bus sometimes live deals you some very unexpected cards and all in all I can't really complain :).

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Hicks
08-01-2007, 01:05 PM
Are you saying being our hero isn't work? :)

:devil: :hug:

If you all pitch in, I can make an equivalent teaching salary. :devil:

indygeezer
08-01-2007, 01:28 PM

But then as a "paid" administrator you'd lose your "hero" status. You wouldn't want that would you?

travmil
08-01-2007, 01:58 PM
I work for the same MAJOR Indianapolis based pharmaceutical company that Geezer is (probably) retired from. I'm nowhere near retirement though and I cry a little each night when I think of how far I am...

bellisimo
08-01-2007, 02:08 PM

you're not unemployed...you're on summer vacation just like all the other teachers :D i'm sure you'll find something soon :)

heywoode
08-01-2007, 09:14 PM
This sounds like a really cool job. What qualifications/skills do you need?

I don't have a degree in a geography related field, but it would help. One can obtain a degree in GIS now, so that would obviously be the first choice. I happened to be a county employee in another office when we got started in GIS, so I was in on the ground floor. I helped create the initial datasets (parcels, county regulated drains, watersheds, road centerlines, etc.) and then I maintained those datasets for a number of years while accumulating more training. Once the current job came open, I was apparently the natural choice. I can honestly say that NOTHING I learned in college, save a little mathematics, has helped me in my current profession.

The software is specific to the GIS community (made by a company called ESRI, "ArcGIS" is the suite of software we use) and directly competes with AutoCad/AutoDesk software. If you are an ESRI shop, you probably don't use AutoCad, and vice versa.

I Love GIS. I use it all the time. One way I use it is as a tool to show how a stalker has no reason to be in a certain area (victim's home not on a through street, natural boundries, etc), or to show how a stalker is able to have a view of a victim's home from a certain spot.

In the past, we would use it for serving warrants or doing raids to show areas where someone may run and areas to set up perimeters to contain a situation. I can tell ya this guy really appreciates your work!

That is fantastic to hear that someone in law enforcement uses GIS so extensively. Given that you work in Marion County, I'm not surprised. You are lucky to have a very large field of very skilled workers developing and maintaining data for you. I make maps for our Prosecutor's Office, for our city and county police departments, and for our Probation Department all the time. I developed a dataset that shows the 1000 foot buffers that are the areas where sex offenders cannot reside. Indiana Code specifies that certain offenders cannot live within 1000 feet of school property, of a park owned by a municipality, or of a licensed day care or child care ministry. I obtain the updated listing of those properties monthly and update the buffer layer on the same interval. If a sex offender wants to move somewhere, any of our law enforcement community can use our GIS site to check the address to see if it falls within the buffer and immediately give them an answer as to whether they can live there or not. We also use that data to police where they are living currently to see if they are in compliance because it is a felony if they aren't. That particular dataset gives me great pleasure to maintain.

We are getting ready to obtain new aerial photography that not only looks straight down, but also from all four sides of a given one-mile square area at a forty degree angle, allowing you to see the sides of homes, etc. It is so precise, you can measure the height of buildings, fences, etc. Examples of this can be seen at Microsoft's mapping program, maps.live.com . It may take a little bit to figure out how to navigate through it, but search for Indianapolis, then zoom to downtown, to about a three or four block area around downtown, then click on 'switch to bird's eye view'. You will be "wowed", I guarantee it.

Yes, I love my job!

Did I meet you at a Schneider Corp training this winter?

Given that you are from Frankfort, I think I do recall meeting someone GIS related from there. PM me to talk more! Are you attending Schneider's User Conference in Ames, IA coming up this month? I will be there.

indygeezer
08-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Oh yeah, I meant to mention that. I don't have a geography degree either...but my MINOR was Geology.

RWB
08-02-2007, 12:51 PM
I work for physicians group as a trainer. I am training the schedilers and front desk staff in the clinics the new scheduling system we are installing. It is weird in that the material I am teaching is still evolving since the system is still not finished. Being a former teacher it is strange to go into the class knowing I am not teaching them everything they will need to know. Guess that is called job security.

Now that I am working in a professional setting other than teaching, I have learned that the way the corporate world is run, at least the place I am at, is not much better than the way schools are run. I got out of teaching because of all of the b.s. one has to go through outside of dealing with the kids. My current job is showing me every day that I wasn't in such a bad place, at least at the elementary level. I will probably end up back there in the fall of '08. If I didn't have a sense of resposibility to my immediate boss and the people I am training, I would probably be hunting for a teaching job for this fall.

Get us a job on an oil rig. :dance:

indygeezer
08-02-2007, 02:25 PM
At one time it was my dream to work on a rig in the gulf (ok I was naieve). Something called a family and a secure job got in the way.

My grandpappy was a oil wildcatter in Illinois and Kansas and I've always had an interest but not the guts.

Knucklehead Warrior
08-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Once the current job came open, I was apparently the natural choice. I can honestly say that NOTHING I learned in college, save a little mathematics, has helped me in my current profession.

Now being retired, I can vouch for the following:

The two most important things I learned about college:
(1) Always carry a pen. (or PDA now)
(2) Higher education isn't all it's cracked up to be. (I nevertheless have two Bachelor's degrees in way different fields).

The most important things I have learned about being in the workforce:
(1) Who you know is often more important than what you know.
(2) Being in the right place at the right time and having the right people notice is exponentially better than any experience, education, or resume you have.
(3) Life is too short to work for an a$$hole.

heywoode
08-02-2007, 04:16 PM

(2) Higher education isn't all it's cracked up to be. (I nevertheless have two Bachelor's degrees in way different fields).

(2) Being in the right place at the right time and having the right people notice is exponentially better than any experience, education, or resume you have.

I would agree with all of that short of feeling like I got lucky and don't merit having the job! I haven't burned the Courthouse down in almost four years as the Manager, so I would say that I got some luck getting in the door (along with being around at the right time to gain experience on the ground floor), but have kept myself on the right side of the door through my own diligence.

I can live with anyone making things work for themselves the way I did, it is the situation where someone got in by luck, and manages to stay there without merit long beyond their useful shelf life. I do have to put up with some of that around here...lots of nepotism and handshake/winkwink agreements for jobs that people have no business doing, much less keeping!

Ditto the life is too short to work for an a$$hole. My foot in the door boss here is a world class pr!ck, and I don't use the term "world class" lightly. I put in five long years, and am at least now thankful that I did it and more thankful that it is over.

Knucklehead Warrior
08-02-2007, 05:43 PM
it is the situation where someone got in by luck, and manages to stay there without merit long beyond their useful shelf life. I do have to put up with some of that around here...lots of nepotism and handshake/winkwink agreements for jobs that people have no business doing, much less keeping!

Yep ya gotta live with that I'm afraid. The world values fluff over substance. It's important to get along with people, but not if that's your ONLY competency.

I worked at a place where an opening in our department came up. By the rules they had to advertise it to the whole company first, but they already had their person in mind. What a waste of time for the people who were QUALIFIED for the job to come interview when they had no chance to get it. I felt so sorry for them.

My brother and I, both IUPUI Computer Technology grads, used to marvel over the people who got others to do their work for them and managed to just eke out a degree. They were so good at it, they probably used the same techniques on the job to survive. Of course the axe falls when one of their coworkers becomes their boss. But then they just go somewhere else and pull the wool over almost everyone's eyes again.

sigh What a shame the way the world really works.

JayRedd
08-02-2007, 08:24 PM
At one time it was my dream to work on a rig in the gulf (ok I was naieve). Something called a family and a secure job got in the way.

My grandpappy was a oil wildcatter in Illinois and Kansas and I've always had an interest but not the guts.

You might appreciate this guy then. We ran this story (http://www.rmmag.com/MGTemplate.cfm?Section=MagArchive&NavMenuID=304&template=/Magazine/DisplayMagazines.cfm&Archive=1&IssueID=293&AID=3333&Volume=54&ShowArticle=1) in my magazine a few months ago. The dude's job is to put out the gigantic fires that happen when an oil-well "blowout" happens. We've now got a running joke about how he's pretty much the real-life version of Chuck Norris/Bill Bratzke and how he drinks gasoline and nails for breakfast.

Some of the story is kind of boring actually, but he's got a couple of good stories/descriptions in there. Mostly, it's just cool that he exists.

heywoode
08-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Yep ya gotta live with that I'm afraid. The world values fluff over substance. It's important to get along with people, but not if that's your ONLY competency.

I worked at a place where an opening in our department came up. By the rules they had to advertise it to the whole company first, but they already had their person in mind. What a waste of time for the people who were QUALIFIED for the job to come interview when they had no chance to get it. I felt so sorry for them.

My brother and I, both IUPUI Computer Technology grads, used to marvel over the people who got others to do their work for them and managed to just eke out a degree. They were so good at it, they probably used the same techniques on the job to survive. Of course the axe falls when one of their coworkers becomes their boss. But then they just go somewhere else and pull the wool over almost everyone's eyes again.

sigh What a shame the way the world really works.

It is a shame, but it can also have it's good moments. I truly enjoy it when someone who fits the category we are discussing gets put on the spot in front of a crowd (especially County Council with the media present) and they stand there and stammer and sweat and get red faced and then have to ask someone like me to explain something. Even though the situation is not a secret, but still tolerated-- everyone in the room sees it for what it is when that happens. Nothing changes, but at least there are opportunities for people like me to drag the issue into the forefront of the minds of people who are in charge from time to time.

I'm not saying I'm Johnny know-it-all Master Public Speaker, but I don't end up proving to everyone that I only have a job because my Mommy or Daddy is an elected official or a department head. That is enough to give me satisfaction. That and a steady, decent paycheck for doing something that I truly love. I can't control what everyone else does, but I can control myself, and how I feel about the world around me.

bellisimo
08-03-2007, 05:07 AM

I'd definitely agree with this statement. From my experience what you have done in the workforce > college degree.

Reggierock
08-03-2007, 07:12 AM
I'm currently doing a design degree, so my guess i'll be un-employed for the rest of my life.

Robobtowncolt
08-03-2007, 09:35 AM
Haha! It's my last day of work! Then a month off with trips to Cancun and Indy mixed in, then the dreaded law school..........

Mr. Pink
08-03-2007, 03:49 PM
I work as a photojournalist at Indiana 9. It's a news station in Clarksville, Indiana. I actually just became the Head Photographer. It's my summer job till I go back to USI to work on my BS in Radio and Television Broadcasting.

It's a really really good job. I don't get paid much, but they pay for my food everyday. I get all the experience I could ever want. Plus, our station has to compete with all of the Louisville stations, so our standards still have to pretty high.

www.indiana9.com <website to our newstation.

Will Galen
08-09-2007, 11:03 PM
I work at Southwest Florida beaches watching girls in bikinis.

PS. They forgo the bikinis at some beaches.

Dr. Goldfoot
08-10-2007, 01:08 AM
<------Mr. Mom

Tom White
08-11-2007, 02:00 PM
...and have taken a job offer as a Rehabilitation Counselor for people with mental illnesses.

So........your vocation was inspired by the PD membership?

Tom White
08-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Oh yeah, I meant to mention that. I don't have a geography degree either...but my MINOR was Geology.

I should have studied Geology.

People always thought I had a mind for it.

Actually people always said I had rocks in my head.

Knucklehead Warrior
08-12-2007, 12:33 PM
In case you missed it, I believe it was CNN who had a METEOROLOGIST explain seismic events at the Utah mine cave-in. Meteors are made of rocks right?

bellisimo
08-12-2007, 01:40 PM
In case you missed it, I believe it was CNN who had a METEOROLOGIST explain seismic events at the Utah mine cave-in. Meteors are made of rocks right?

thought they were made of cheese just like the moon...

Indianapolis_girly
08-13-2007, 12:37 AM
I don't have a job yet.
I'll probably get one next summer.
But I'm a Sophmore at Brownstown Central High School.
That's in South Central Indiana.
My school's known for it's volleyball, basketball, and football.
Sorry, I had to brag a lil bit. ;)

Haggard
08-14-2007, 09:44 AM
As for me... I work at a judicial process server firm. Basically, very simplified, what we do is to handout subpoena's, a sentence writ on, laying seizures on bank accounts, pensions, salary on copyrights (basically anything that holds value and has a clearcut owner), we deliver divorcement papers with writ on, represent clients in lower court cases, etc, etc. Pretty broad scope.

As for me, I too work in the judicial system however I work directly in the courts. I spend many years working around criminal and civil matters but now work at a Children's Court that deals with juvenile crime and matters where children are take from unfit parents. I started in an entry level position and have worked my way to a middle management role within the juvenile court system. This is work that I kinda fell in to, I never had any aspirations to work at a courthouse

On the side I do a bit of music in a band and also do video editing work, graphic design and audio creation for people which is a lot more within the lines of my education.

DrBadd01
08-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Currently I'm a student teacher (60 Days left!!!). However my bigger plans are to get a couple of graduate degrees and teach college in Europe or Canada during the school year, whilst producing/directing independent films in the summer.

Evan_The_Dude
08-15-2007, 12:58 PM
I'm a self employed photographer that caught a lucky break and met the right person at the right time. I travel a lot and take pictures for a lot of the major auto shows around the country (SEMA, NOPI, etc.), and a lot of track events (like Winged Warrior). To supplement my income when I'm not doing auto shows I also photograph weddings, and models that are looking to get themselves into the modeling industry. I also photograph homes for Realtors now and then.

When I'm not taking pictures, you can find me spending a lot of time out on the race track or the auto cross courses. A video of me doing an Auto Cross (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGvGsvtp1W4)

Skaut_Ech
08-17-2007, 11:12 AM
I'm a self employed photographer that caught a lucky break and met the right person at the right time. I travel a lot and take pictures for a lot of the major auto shows around the country (SEMA, NOPI, etc.), and a lot of track events (like Winged Warrior). To supplement my income when I'm not doing auto shows I also photograph weddings, and models that are looking to get themselves into the modeling industry. I also photograph homes for Realtors now and then.

When I'm not taking pictures, you can find me spending a lot of time out on the race track or the auto cross courses. A video of me doing an Auto Cross (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGvGsvtp1W4)

Well THAT means you have some pics of NOPI and SEMA models to share with us...yes? :drool:

ilive4sports
08-17-2007, 08:19 PM

Sure i wouldnt mind seeing the SEMA and the NOPI models but id be pretty interested in the cars too. You have a website or something?

Thats cool that you do auto cross. I want to take my car to do auto cross but its my daily driver right now and i dont want anything to break. Ive got a 1998 Ford Contour SVT.

bellisimo
04-25-2008, 12:50 PM

reminds me of what I used to do with my modeling agency back in US...

Shade
04-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Hell.

bellisimo
04-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Hell.

come on...being an admin on PD isn't THAT bad ;)

Shade
04-25-2008, 12:54 PM
come on...being an admin on PD isn't THAT bad ;)

PD is my vacation home. It's on a property slightly north of hell.

No, not Canada. :-p

bellisimo
04-25-2008, 12:55 PM
PD is my vacation home. It's on a property slightly north of hell.

No, not Canada. :-p

of course not Canada...everyone knows that slightly north of hell is Australia...

travmil
04-25-2008, 01:10 PM
I still work for a major Indianapolis based pharmaceutical company. I'm one of the ones in the news recently for having my job eliminated though. We're being reallocated. Sounds good but at the end after you have applied for every open job under the sun and been turned down, they make you a token offer to chain yourself to a production line working 11p-7a. If you turn that down you are basically quitting of your own accord and can't even file for unemployment. I could get lucky I guess and get offered a job that I actually like, but my hopes aren't high.

duke dynamite
04-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Post-Secondary Educational institution in Bloomington, IN. I am an IT Consultant.

Raskolnikov
04-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Although some, including me sometimes, may not call it actual work, I'm still doing a PhD in astronomy.

If anyone wants to know their horoscope: you will all soon die a horrible, painful death.

ajbry
04-25-2008, 02:22 PM
University of Massachusetts.

If you had told me 2 years ago I'd be going to a state school I would've slapped you across the face. At least it's cheap - that's why I'm doing it. Planning on law or graduate school but first I need to acquire a work ethic somehow...

Twes
04-25-2008, 02:37 PM
I work with drifters - relocating them and what not.

kester99
04-25-2008, 04:03 PM
I've delivered pizza, landscaped, worked at Harrison Steel in Attica, worked the Louisiana oil fields as a roustabout (not off-shore...and the swamp is hot and humid and the co-workers are sloppy..."just say yes to everything on that OSHA inspection, college-boy! You don't need to know what it means.") I did a couple of years at IU's journalism school.

Then at 28, I joined the Army, worked as a journalist, then as a satellite comms tech, then taught satellite comms at the signal school in Georgia. Retired with 20 years in, in 2000. (A.D.)

I got my CCNA a couple of years ago, and now travel, teaching Cisco routers and switches to U.S. military units around the world. On the road about 6 months / yr. I will soon be a fed government employee. I'm a contractor at the moment.

Cobol Sam
04-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Still doing rehab, but I'm serving in more of a therapy role now than a counseling role.

SycamoreKen
04-25-2008, 10:11 PM

I didn't realize how true this would actually be. i quit this job to go back to school to work on My Masters of Christian Ministry degree. I am substituting on the side. I plan on going back to teaching full time this fall and taking one class a quarter until I finish. After that, I'll pray and go where God leads me.

rexnom
04-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Council on Foreign Relations.

dohman
04-28-2008, 11:58 AM
I own a Audio Video Design and Installation company where we specialize in installing high end custom home theater systems, whole house audio systems, surround sounds, and home automation

On top of that I am also starting a small business advertising company for another income.

btowncolt
05-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Law school in the Boston area.

Don't ever go - to law school or Boston.

sweabs
05-02-2008, 01:41 PM

Are you finished exams yet? BTW, these LSATs sure make for fun studying.

btowncolt
05-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Are you finished exams yet? BTW, these LSATs sure make for fun studying.

I started working 15+ hours a day in preparation for them 3 weeks ago. I still have three more exams, the last being on the 14th - then a full week of 16+ hours a day Law Review write-on competition.

I'm sleepy.

Gyron
05-02-2008, 02:36 PM
No Sleep for Joo! :whip2:

ajbry
05-02-2008, 02:42 PM

What school? Ideally I want to attend a mediocre law school down south but I'm curious to where you go.

btowncolt
05-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Please, sir! I don't care about the rule against perpetuities or physiological class closings anymore!

Gyron
05-02-2008, 02:44 PM
No, go read a torte or something. NO SLEEP!

btowncolt
05-02-2008, 02:45 PM
What school? Ideally I want to attend a mediocre law school down south but I'm curious to where you go.

Hmmm.....just for potential anonymity's sake I'm going to have to not say which one (sorry). But it's a pretty decent one...

If anyone is actually getting into the process of applying, feel free to run questions by me after May 21st (though I will be drunk or sleeping for a few days after that). I promise to stop sending you "DON'T DO IT" emails after a few days.

btowncolt
05-02-2008, 02:47 PM
No, go read a torte or something. NO SLEEP!

But sir! I don't have Torts this semester! Can't I just have a short nap? I'll be ever so good!

ajbry
05-02-2008, 02:50 PM
By "pretty decent" do you mean BU decent or Suffolk decent?

btowncolt
05-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Not-Suffolk decent.

Not a knock on Suffolk, either. It's a good school, particularly if you want to stay in the Boston area. They also have a very nice, new campus in a great part of downtown just off the Common.

ajbry
05-02-2008, 02:56 PM
I want to take a guess but I respect your privacy. What subject area of law are you concentrating in?

btowncolt
05-02-2008, 02:59 PM
I want to take a guess but I respect your privacy. What subject area of law are you concentrating in?

Thanks - my real name has been on here enough times that I just want to avoid anyone digging through school email contact lists.

Right now? Not crying. I haven't figured out really what I want to do yet - beyond something soul-crushing and high-paying for a few years once I get out to pay off the loans.

Gyron
05-02-2008, 02:59 PM
But sir! I don't have Torts this semester! Can't I just have a short nap? I'll be ever so good!

Ok, Then you may have 10 minutes. BUT NO MORE! :devil:

Now back your regularly scheduled Final Exams.

ajbry
05-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Thanks - my real name has been on here enough times that I just want to avoid anyone digging through school email contact lists.

Right now? Not crying. I haven't figured out really what I want to do yet - beyond something soul-crushing and high-paying for a few years once I get out to pay off the loans.

Well it sounds like you have a solid work ethic so I'm sure you're going to make some large amounts of paper. That's why I'm going to law school route - make money, step on the little man, and convert to a Republican. Although I'm interested in environmental (administrative boredom) so who knows about the little man part.

btowncolt
05-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Well it sounds like you have a solid work ethic so I'm sure you're going to make some large amounts of paper. That's why I'm going to law school route - make money, step on the little man, and convert to a Republican. Although I'm interested in environmental (administrative boredom) so who knows about the little man part.

You may get advice contrary to this - and I highly encourage you to ignore it. If anyone tells you to find a school that has a reputation as a decent environmental law school, ignore them. Go to the best school that you get into and you want to go to. Unfortunately with law schools, rankings make a tremendous difference. If you go to a better school that doesn't say it's good at any one particular thing, you have a better chance of getting whatever internship or job that you want. I hate sounding like one of those annoying people who say that rankings are all that matters, but it's not too far from the truth here - assuming you're not in the top 5% when you graduate, and then it doesn't make a huge difference as you'll be fine either way.

ajbry
05-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the tip - I hadn't heard it like that before. Certainly makes sense from a realist approach.

Twes
05-02-2008, 03:33 PM
There's always room for more :censored: lawyers in the world :shakehead.

:D

btowncolt
05-02-2008, 03:35 PM
There's always room for more :censored: lawyers in the world :shakehead.

:D

You don't scare me without those crazy animal eyes in your avatar.

Twes
05-02-2008, 03:39 PM
You don't scare me without those crazy animal eyes in your avatar.

You've got that going for you.

Your avatar scares me a little. :(

Gyron
05-02-2008, 03:50 PM
He's gotta make that money. He owes me child support. Now get your *** back to studying for final exams before I have to get the rubber hose out Btown.

btowncolt
05-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Never! You don't control me! Only the government does!

Gyron
05-02-2008, 03:56 PM
You better hope that High dollar education you're getting is good.

I'm gonna get Judge Judy on you for the Child support just as soon as you get that first high paying job. Just to make sure you spend eternity in student loan debt......

Twes
05-02-2008, 03:58 PM
:wtf:

btowncolt
05-02-2008, 04:04 PM
:wtf:

I had a kid and switched it with Gyron's kid, then sold Gyron's real kid to some gypsy day-traders that live a few blocks perpendicular to the negative right angled street two blocks and six fortnights from the south-north corner of the third apartment's bathroom. So now he wants child-support for the mess I left him.

How do you not understand this?

Twes
05-02-2008, 04:17 PM
I had a kid and switched it with Gyron's kid, then sold Gyron's real kid to some gypsy day-traders that live a few blocks perpendicular to the negative right angled street two blocks and six fortnights from the south-north corner of the third apartment's bathroom. So now he wants child-support for the mess I left him.

How do you not understand this?

I got that part.

I just didn't know the government controlled us.

btowncolt
05-02-2008, 04:19 PM
Oh - sorry for flying off the handle like that. The man in the suit told me to, though.

Don't let him see this.

Twes
05-02-2008, 04:24 PM
They don't speak to me.

I think it's the wild animal eye's.