PDA

View Full Version : MAN CRUSH: ARE YOU CRUSHING ON KD

Major Cold
07-23-2007, 10:24 PM
I know this guy is.

http://www.nba.com/usabasketball/durantusa_072207.html

His name already belongs in the same conversation as LeBron James, Frank Robinson and Wayne Gretzky as being considered one of the most dominant teenage athletes of all time, but when it's all said in done, we might be mentioning Kevin Durant with the likes of Bobby Fischer, Mozart, Will Hunting and Doogie Howser as perhaps one of greatest prodigies to ever live.

Admittedly the basketball world has been quick to honor greatness, sometimes before it's due. Harold Miner, Jerry Stackhouse and Grant Hill were all considered to be "The Next Jordan" early on in their careers, but with Durant the acclaim has been earned.

He became apart of his accusation by statement above.

rexnom
07-23-2007, 10:53 PM
Yup.

Unclebuck
07-23-2007, 10:56 PM
I cannot remember the last time I was this impressed the first time I saw a guy play.

GrangerRanger
07-23-2007, 11:30 PM
Lol. Watch his carreer end up like Harold's and 4 years from now we'll be on here asking if we should pick him up from some Cambodia International barely known league.

That was the worst case scenerio.

Best case is he is the next Michael Jordan, wins the next 9 mvps and shuts all the peoples mouth about Lebron James ( which I actually hate, theres no way in hell he's as or even on the same lvl as MJ.)

Shade
07-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Oden > Durant

wooolus
07-23-2007, 11:44 PM
LeBron > Durant

Eindar
07-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Eh. He's certainly got talent, but so did Jon Bender. First thing he has to prove is that his beanpole frame can survive the pounding he's going to take at small forward for 82 games. Then, he's got to prove that he can play well when that pounding gets a lot tougher in the playoffs. Finally, he's got to prove that he can be a leader. He can be every bit the player MJ was, but MJ made the guys around him confident that they could play better, too. Without that, Jordan doesn't have 6 rings. To me, Durant is everything Bender was advertised as, but there's more to basketball than putting the ball in the hole.

rexnom
07-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Eh. He's certainly got talent, but so did Jon Bender. First thing he has to prove is that his beanpole frame can survive the pounding he's going to take at small forward for 82 games. Then, he's got to prove that he can play well when that pounding gets a lot tougher in the playoffs. Finally, he's got to prove that he can be a leader. He can be every bit the player MJ was, but MJ made the guys around him confident that they could play better, too. Without that, Jordan doesn't have 6 rings. To me, Durant is everything Bender was advertised as, but there's more to basketball than putting the ball in the hole.
Did Bender put up a 25 PPG in college against some very good competition on an ok team? I'm sorry but I know that you haven't seen Durant a lot if you compare him to Bender. Bender had potential but his game also had A LOT of holes. Durant has a virtually flawless offensive game that, with some polishing and maturation, is quite simply going to be amazing. Also, he just has a certain innate bball iq and feel for the game. At 6'10" he looks SO natural out there. He's never awkward. And the kid is still 18! What gets the most about Durant is that he also has that killer instinct to just flat out take over games in the last two minutes. I know I would feel better about my game if I knew I had a guy like that on my team.

JayRedd
07-24-2007, 12:15 AM
I pretty much see KD as an MJ/Ghandi/Muhammad Ali/Salma Hayek/Jesus/Einstein/Jimi/Bogart/Hemmingway hybrid but with more more range and better shot-blocking.

Anthem
07-24-2007, 12:21 AM
I pretty much see KD as an MJ/Ghandi/Muhammad Ali/Salma Hayek/Jesus/Einstein/Jimi/Bogart/Hemmingway hybrid but with more more range and better shot-blocking.
I think you're severely underestimating his court vision, and possibly overrating his literary and musical abilities a tad at this point. I'm not saying he won't be a better guitar player than Jimi, but we should wait at least a year to make that call.

Eindar
07-24-2007, 12:22 AM
Did Bender put up a 25 PPG in college against some very good competition on an ok team? I'm sorry but I know that you haven't seen Durant a lot if you compare him to Bender. Bender had potential but his game also had A LOT of holes. Durant has a virtually flawless offensive game that, with some polishing and maturation, is quite simply going to be amazing. Also, he just has a certain innate bball iq and feel for the game. At 6'10" he looks SO natural out there. He's never awkward. And the kid is still 18! What gets the most about Durant is that he also has that killer instinct to just flat out take over games in the last two minutes. I know I would feel better about my game if I knew I had a guy like that on my team.

JB was never in college, so it's hard to make that comparison. By "polishing and maturation" do you mean adding 25 lbs of muscle? Look, he could very well be a hall of famer, but he hasn't done it in a regular season game yet, and people are crowning him Savior of the League. You really think guys were guarding him in an intra-squad scrimmage the same way they're going to be doing during the regular season/playoffs once they know his game?

All I'm saying is that if he stays at his current weight, he *may* struggle with the physical play, especially in the playoffs. And if he's able to put on enough muscle to play well under those conditions, it may effect his shot and his durability (see: JO, Bender, Smits).

It's still a crapshoot at this point, just like it was a couple months ago. Guy has a forgettable summer league and one solid scrimmage and all of a sudden, he's better than LeBron.

Man crush, indeed!

EDIT: Not to mention the leadership aspect. JO is a hell of a player. He really is. But if your best player (and most well-paid player) can't make the players around him better, that team isn't a contender. Case in point: Dominique Wilkins was a HELL of a player. He's a HoF'er. How many titles did he win?

rexnom
07-24-2007, 12:25 AM
JB was never in college, so it's hard to make that comparison. By "polishing and maturation" do you mean adding 25 lbs of muscle? Look, he could very well be a hall of famer, but he hasn't done it in a regular season game yet, and people are crowning him Savior of the League. You really think guys were guarding him in an intra-squad scrimmage the same way they're going to be doing during the regular season/playoffs once they know his game?

All I'm saying is that if he stays at his current weight, he *may* struggle with the physical play, especially in the playoffs. And if he's able to put on enough muscle to play well under those conditions, it may effect his shot and his durability (see: JO, Bender, Smits).

It's still a crapshoot at this point, just like it was a couple months ago. Guy has a forgettable summer league and one solid scrimmage and all of a sudden, he's better than LeBron.

Man crush, indeed!
I have a total man crush on Durant...I'm not going to deny it...I'm probably overrating him. I could defend him on and on and such but I'm just going to let his ROY of the year performance next year speak for me.

Btw, JayRedd, I think you are underestimating KD's killer instinct. Gandhi? Really?

KD is more of a MJ/Alexander the Great/Muhammad Ali/Jessica Biel/Jesus/Einstein/Jimi/Bogart/Hemmingway/electric hybrid to me.

Mourning
07-24-2007, 05:18 AM
I think you're severely underestimating his court vision, and possibly overrating his literary and musical abilities a tad at this point. I'm not saying he won't be a better guitar player than Jimi, but we should wait at least a year to make that call.

ROFL :lol:

Unclebuck
07-24-2007, 08:17 AM
I think comparing Bender to Durant is a little like comparing Michael Jordan to Harold Minor. No make that Michael Jordan to Steve McNichols.

You say you don't know who Steve McNichols is. Exactly, that is my point

Rajah Brown
07-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Having seen him play about a dozen times, I love the kid's game. But
he'll never be Jordan. He's not even close to the explosive athlete
Jordan was.

He'll be a tremendous offensive player. But to be great, he'll have to
get much better defensively (no surprise for a 19-yr old) and quite
a bit stronger. Otherwise, he'll be giving them up on the other end
about as fast as he scores them.

I can't wait to watch him play though. He's got a full toolbox when
it comes to his offensive skills (as opposed to Bender, who's midrange
abilities were non-existent).

rexnom
07-24-2007, 08:49 AM
Having seen him play about a dozen times, I love the kid's game. But
he'll never be Jordan. He's not even close to the explosive athlete
Jordan was.

He'll be a tremendous offensive player. But to be great, he'll have to
get much better defensively (no surprise for a 19-yr old) and quite
a bit stronger. Otherwise, he'll be giving them up on the other end
about as fast as he scores them.

I can't wait to watch him play though. He's got a full toolbox when
it comes to his offensive skills (as opposed to Bender, who's midrange
abilities were non-existent).
I think it's SO unfair to compare people to MJ. MJ was something else. Kobe Bryant is the closest I've ever seen and still MJ played in a far tougher era defensively. MJ was the complete package. If he were to come out of NC right now, he would still be at the top of the lottery (unlike maybe someone like Larry Bird). Tremendous athleticism, great offense, freakish defense, the list goes on.

Each player is different. Durant is a joy to watch because there is literally no tool that he doesn't have offensively (or can't develop offensively). (For example, he's going to be a better shooter than LeBron or MJ). He's like a taller T-Mac (with more moves down low) or a more fluid Dirk Nowitzki. Obviously he lacks in strength and defensive prowess but so does two-time MVP Steve Nash, that doesn't mean that these guys aren't going to be fun to watch.

This is why I'm WAY more excited about Durant and following his development than Oden or any other individual player in the NBA. (It's a fun subplot to following the Pacers religiously).

EDIT: Just realized we said pretty much the same thing. I guess we agree then.

Rajah Brown
07-24-2007, 09:35 AM
Rexnom-

Totally agree. Only included the MJ reference because someone had
alluded to KD's 'ceiling' being MJ-esque.

But ya, there's nothing more enjoyable to me an an NBA fan than
watching the evolution of an offensive virtuoso with the kind of
elegant fluidity that KD has.

DisplacedKnick
07-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Comparing anyone to Jordan is foolish. He exploded like no one else ever has - and then he went and made himself a great shooter. An extremely talented overachiever. There have been other guys as athletic (Nique, Kobe) but has anyone been able to just explode to the rim like he could?

In his own way Lebron's unique too because of the combination of athleticism and power.

The following players are those I consider to be unique - the guys who so far have been incomparable because nobody has had their combination of skills and athleticism:

Wilt
Magic
Hakeem (he's a bit more marginal in this list IMO but he still had the strength, athleticism AND jump shot)
MJ
KG
Lebron

I'd have to look at more tape to decide if Oscar belongs on this list - if he physically could do things nobody has been able to do since. I think Sabonis in his younger years might fit in this group too but I'm going with NBA players.

I don't think - at this point - that Durant will be as unique. From what I've seen of him he reminds me of a slightly taller T-Mac with a sound back. But IMO he's the surest player in this draft - surer than Oden though I'd have picked Greg over him myself just because I think you had to.

Rajah Brown
07-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Let's not forget too, that MJ had an incredible 'will to win'. The only
other guy I've ever seen who was even close was our 'beloved' GM,
Mr. Bird.

JayRedd
07-24-2007, 12:24 PM
The following players are those I consider to be unique - the guys who so far have been incomparable because nobody has had their combination of skills and athleticism:

Wilt
Magic
Hakeem (he's a bit more marginal in this list IMO but he still had the strength, athleticism AND jump shot)
MJ
KG
Lebron

Charles Barkley HAS TO be on that list.

I give him a higher ceiling than Jimi because he does what he does without the performance enhancing acid under the eyelid.

Btw, JayRedd, I think you are underestimating KD's killer instinct. Gandhi? Really?

KD is more of a MJ/Alexander the Great/Muhammad Ali/Jessica Biel/Jesus/Einstein/Jimi/Bogart/Hemmingway/electric hybrid to me.

The Gandi inclusion was because of KD's indomitable will.

But you're definitely right, we should factor his killer instinct in there. Let's add both Jaws and The Predator to the list (although I think his UPside is higher than both).<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

DisplacedKnick
07-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Charles Barkley HAS TO be on that list.

I'm slow, fat and can't jump ...

tdubb03
07-24-2007, 01:54 PM
That JayRedd/Anthem exchange is why I love PD.

eldubious
07-24-2007, 02:38 PM
Comparing Durant to Bender is inaccurate, because Durant is overwhelmingly more polished, fluid, skilled, and basketball savy than Bender has ever showed. I've never watched Bender play and thought he could take over a game or that he even knew what he was doing. At best, Bender compared to Eddie Griffin, while Durant is a more atheletic and polished Nowitzki.

DisplacedKnick
07-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Comparing Durant to Bender is inaccurate, because Durant is overwhelmingly more polished, fluid, skilled, and basketball savy than Bender has ever showed. I've never watched Bender play and thought he could take over a game or that he even knew what he was doing. At best, Bender compared to Eddie Griffin, while Durant is a more atheletic and polished Nowitzki.

I'll compare them.

Durant is what Bender MIGHT have been if he'd had any basketball skills.

JayRedd
07-24-2007, 02:51 PM

Did you also stand 6'5" and put up 23 and 15 in a season?

Guy was an unmovable statue/rabid bulldog in the paint and a runaway freight train on the break. His level of strength, power, speed, balance, finesse and athleticism will never again be seen at that size.

Carlos Boozer mildly resembles it......but that's pretty much like me saying the snow angel I made last Christmas resembles the ceiling in the Sistine Chapel.

Major Cold
07-24-2007, 03:20 PM
His level of strength, power, speed, balance, finesse and athleticism will never again be seen at that size.

If there was no Shaq we would be talking more about Sir Charles. But Shaq had a more impressive package. Sir Charles had to worry about Malone, McHale, Rodman not such a great competition. He was never dominant in the sense that Wilt, Jordan, and Lord Durant Savior of the NBA.

DisplacedKnick
07-24-2007, 03:35 PM
Did you also stand 6'5" and put up 23 and 15 in a season?

Guy was an unmovable statue/rabid bulldog in the paint and a runaway freight train on the break. His level of strength, power, speed, balance, finesse and athleticism will never again be seen at that size.

Truck Robinson. 6-6, led league in rebounding, several 20 ppg seasons. Barkley was better but similar type players. I'd add Wes Unseld but that's less certain - he started off his career as a scorer but then backed off to rebound and defend. But he could physically do most things Barkley could.

Barkley won't make it on my list as being unique. He was a special player but so was Jerry West. Neither was revolutionary in any way as far as being able to do things on the floor that nobody's ever done before. They just outworked, outhustled people.

JayRedd
07-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Truck Robinson. 6-6, led league in rebounding, several 20 ppg seasons. Barkley was better but similar type players. I'd add Wes Unseld but that's less certain - he started off his career as a scorer but then backed off to rebound and defend. But he could physically do most things Barkley could.

Barkley won't make it on my list as being unique. He was a special player but so was Jerry West. Neither was revolutionary in any way as far as being able to do things on the floor that nobody's ever done before. They just outworked, outhustled people.

Really? Wes and Truck attacked the rim like this?

Think Philly, not Phoenix.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_v9XE7BijJA

SkipperZ
07-24-2007, 08:18 PM

Im sorry I dont normally post here but for some reason this boggled my mind. Have you ever actually seen Charles Barkley play? Out of those three only fat might be even remotely close to an accurate description.

Eindar
07-24-2007, 11:57 PM
I'll compare them.

Durant is what Bender MIGHT have been if he'd had any basketball skills.

I believe that's exactly what I was trying to say when I said "Durant is everything Bender was advertised as". Which means a guy with the size of a forward with the skills of a guard. Supposedly KG with 3 point range. That kind of thing.

I love how everyone makes piling on Bender some sort of sport. And for the record, there were games that last season where you could tell the light had finally come on, but he was too injured to utilize it. He was commanding double teams the few times he played. But we all like to forget this when we're lamenting his horrible contract and constant injured status. But I digress. My point is that Durant has a lot of talent, but it takes more than talent to be a champion, and that's the company a lot of people are putting Durant in before he has even played a regular season game.

Doddage
07-25-2007, 12:40 AM
Durant's already proved he can hang with the pros as evidenced by the USA scrimmage game. Putting up 20+ pts in technically his first pro game? That's a pretty good sign.

Major Cold
07-25-2007, 09:03 AM
Durant's already proved he can hang with the pros as evidenced by the USA scrimmage game. Putting up 20+ pts in technically his first pro game? That's a pretty good sign.

Technically speaking that was not a real game. He did not have a Sonics Jersey on and it is not November. EXHIBITION!!! The talent on the court was great, but they also aren't playing for money. In fact if they get cut they get to rest before the technical season begins.

It is the summer and we all are die-hard basketball fans. Summer league captures us now because we are in a period where the only thing basketball is mediocre signings and trades. We were expecting a big splash with JO and many teams bidding for him. Since that has not happened yet, we are making a big splash about anything.

Durant, Diener, Rush, Oden's tonsils for crying out loud, and not to mention Stanko (I wonder if some of you would be raising this big stank over some of the moves the Suns have made, if in fact you were Suns fans) are news all blown out of proportion by die-hard Pacer fans because we really have no news to be proud about. Our malecontent has been met with articles from the front office to support the team (and between those lines are a plea to buy season tickets).

The truth is we do not know how the season will pan out. Almost everyone last off-season was dead wrong about the Pacers. This season, with the majority saying we are destined to be bottom dwellers this year, my hope is you are wrong again.

Kegboy
07-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Yes, I wouldn't say anything is "proven" after one game, especially when he wasn't too good in the summer league.

To further the Bender comparison, will this scrimmage become Durant's "Christmas game". :devil:

carpediem024
07-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Kevin Durant will be good in the league an all.

But I don't see him being as great as LeBron, Wade, Kobe, and especially Jordan.