PDA

View Full Version : 07-08 starting lineup

vali_31
07-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Assuming that the team enters the season in its current shape, how do you think the starting lineup should look like and how do you think it would work. As in what situations we might see in the games and what kind of ball would that group play...

Mine is...

Pg Jamaal Tinsley
Sg Kareem Rush
Sf Danny Granger
Pf Jermaine Oneal
C Troy Murphy

indyman37
07-23-2007, 10:46 PM
I really doubt that JOB starts Rush. He'll probably be between the 6th and 8th person off the bench. It will be some order of Quis/Dun/Rush off the bench, I just don't know what. It'll depend on the opposing team most likely.

CableKC
07-24-2007, 12:15 AM
My starting lineup:

PG - Tinsley
SG - Marquis
SF - Granger
PF - JONeal
C - Murphy

6th Man - Dunleavy

After Dunleavy, whoever comes in is dependant on whether we need to rotate a Guard or Forward/Big Man:

1st Guard off the bench - Kareem then Deiner
1st Forward/Big Man off the bench - Ike, Shawne then Foster

Young
07-24-2007, 12:19 AM
PG: Tinsley
SG: Rush
SF: Granger
PF: O'Neal
C: Murphy
6th Man: Dunleavy

Here is my thing, we signed two very good shooters in Rush and Diener which we do need. But if we don't play em then why sign them? We need Rush's shooting in the starting lineup because without him all we have is Murphy as far as shooters go and this is assuming we start him and not Foster.

Dunleavy may or may not do well as the 6th man IDK for sure. I'd try him there though. Hopefully he would excel there.

rexnom
07-24-2007, 12:22 AM
I am very curious to see how MDJ and Granger's shots have developed. I would definitely not be opposed to starting Rush. It's just a disaster not to have a shooter out there in O'Brien system.

pacers_1
07-24-2007, 12:44 AM
pg tinsley
sg dunleavey
sf granger
pf o'neal
c foster

i think foster is better suited for the pacers now that they are going to run

Hicks
07-24-2007, 01:22 AM
It probably would be better to start Rush instead of Mike, but then again if Mike has improved his 3 point shot, then you probably need to start him, even out of position.

Tinsley/Diener/Daniels
Dunleavy/Daniels/Rush
Granger/Williams/Dunleavy/Daniels
Murphy/Williams/Foster
O'Neal/Diogu/Foster

Top 8:
O'Neal
Granger
Tinsley
Dunleavy
Murphy
Daniels
Diener
Rush

I have no idea how our two new guys will get time AND find room for Daniels, Williams, Diogu, and Foster.

Kamiyohk
07-24-2007, 01:35 AM
Pg Marquis Daniels
Sg Kareem Rush
Sf Danny Granger
Pf Ike Diogu
C Jermaine O'neal

wintermute
07-24-2007, 01:51 AM
i took it a bit further and worked out rotation and minutes as well. imo:

PG - tinsley (30min) / daniels (10 min) / diener (<10 min) / owens (0 min)
SG - dunleavy (20 min) / daniels (20 min) / rush (<10 min)
SF - granger (35 min) / dunleavy (10 min) / graham (<5 min)
PF - murphy (30 min) / williams (15 min) / foster (<5 min)
C - o'neal (35 min) / diogu (10 min) / harrison (<5 min)

for reference, the minutes distribution last season was:

o'neal 35.6 mpg in 69 games
dunleavy 35.6 mpg in 43 games
granger 34.0 mpg in 82 games
tinsley 31.2 mpg in 72 games
murphy 28.2 mpg in 42 games
foster 23.2 mpg in 75 games
daniels 17.8 mpg in 45 games
diogu 12.8 mpg in 42 games
williams 12.1 mpg in 46 games
harrison 7.9 mpg in 24 games

the actual mpg's have some overlap due to injuries, and the trade messes things up as well. still, it's a useful baseline.

the only major minutes guy not returning (probably) is armstrong's 15.7 mpg in 81 games, which in my projection is mostly going to daniels in his dual backup sg/pg role. foster's 23 mpg dwindles to almost nothing in my projection because i allocated his minutes to ike and shawne instead. obviously i don't think foster is going to fit into obie's scheme...

i actually think that both rush and diener will have trouble getting minutes if everyone is healthy - but with the injury history of daniels and tinsley, odds are good that both rush and diener will get their chances.

btw, the roster as is still makes me think "trade". too many of our better players are forwards.

Peck
07-24-2007, 01:56 AM
If your asking who we think will start I will say this.

Tinsley
Dunleavy
Granger
O'Neal
Murphy

If your asking me who I would want to start?

Diener
Dunleavy
Granger
Williams
Diogu

Trader Joe
07-24-2007, 02:01 AM

Tinsley
Dunleavy
Granger
O'Neal
Murphy

Diener
Dunleavy
Granger
Williams
Diogu

If JO is on the team you would honestly start Williams and Diogu over him?

Peck
07-24-2007, 04:02 AM
If JO is on the team you would honestly start Williams and Diogu over him?

Yes

dewman_32
07-24-2007, 04:43 AM
I really don't see how a healthy Jeff Foster isn't in the starting lineup. O'Brien has already stated an emphasis on rebounding, so why wouldn't our best rebounder be in the starting 5?

BlueNGold
07-24-2007, 06:34 AM
Starting lineups often are driven by who gets paid the most IMO. Like it or not, whether JOb or RC is coaching, this is who takes the floor first:

Tinsley
Quis or MDJ (I suspect Quis)
Granger
JO
Murphy

owl
07-24-2007, 07:37 AM
Center---Murphy/Foster
Power Forward-Oneal/Diogu/Shawne
Small Forward--Granger/Shawne/Dunleavy
Shooting Guard--Dunleavy/Rush/Marquis
Point Guard--Tinsley/Diener/Marquis

It seems that Marquis is the odd man out as he is the weakest long range
shooter. But maybe his slashing ability will really be useful if eveyone else is rotating around to get an open three which then allows him to drive and finish
around the basket. He the best on the Pacers at doing that.

rexnom
07-24-2007, 08:55 AM

Tinsley
Dunleavy
Granger
O'Neal
Murphy

Diener
Dunleavy
Granger
Williams
Diogu
I'd be shocked if this line-up beat any team in the NBA, let alone got to .500. You've got only three guys playing out of position here and only one who has shown any kind of defensive consistency. Please tell me that you just want Eric Gordon that badly. Please tell me that's the reason for this magical lineup.

Unclebuck
07-24-2007, 09:00 AM
I really have no idea - I really don't. I'll let you know in about 60 days

Infinite MAN_force
07-24-2007, 09:13 AM
PF: Murphy
C: Oneal

This seems to make the most sense in Obriens system, You have two players who specialize in three pointers on the floor and one who can probably hit them when he needs to (granger). Oneal in the middle as the post player.

Unclebuck
07-24-2007, 09:18 AM
PF: Murphy
C: Oneal

This seems to make the most sense in Obriens system, You have two players who specialize in three pointers on the floor and one who can probably hit them when he needs to (granger). Oneal in the middle as the post player.

If that truly is the starting lineup. Maybe I'll just not watch the first 6 or 7 minutes of each half because I'll be begging the reserves to come in

Kegboy
07-24-2007, 09:30 AM

Tinsley
Dunleavy
Granger
O'Neal
Murphy

Diener
Dunleavy
Granger
Williams
Diogu

So then, I take it you're already on the tank wagon?

ChicagoJ
07-24-2007, 10:46 AM
I think the rotation will look like this:

G - Tinsley, Rush, Daniels
F - Dunleavy, Granger, Murphy
C - O'Neal, Diogu

Unclebuck
07-24-2007, 10:50 AM
I think the rotation will look like this:

G - Tinsley, Rush, Daniels
F - Dunleavy, Granger, Murphy
C - O'Neal, Diogu

I know you must just keep forgetting, or maybe your keyboard simply can't type the word FOSTER, but Jeff is still on the team.

Actually, I tend to agree with you to some extent, as I said at the forum party a week ago, I think jeff will get fewer minutes under O'Brien - simply because Jeff, Ike and JO will be playing center only and OB will never have two of those three on the court at the same time. He wants an outside shooter at power forward.

Although Jeff usually finds a way to get minutes, somehow

Evan_The_Dude
07-24-2007, 11:24 AM
PG - Tinsley
SG - Daniels
SF - Williams
PF - Granger
C - O'Neal

This will get the game started. Our guys will start by getting to the basket and this also gives us a quick defensive unit. Then the reserves can come in and bomb away as they please. It's hard to say though. This is the first time I looked at the team as it is and projected the starters. After looking at it, I'm pretty happy with a lot of the players we have as long as they can gel on the court. The question is, have we gotten that guy that will speak up and lead (besides J.O.)? The knock on the team from Carlisle is that they were all too quiet. They all got along and had good chemistry, but there was little emotion. Who's bringing the emotion? Have we addressed that issue yet?

Hicks
07-24-2007, 11:33 AM
I hadn't thought about that before: Make Danny a 4 again.

Tinsley
Rush
Dunleavy
Granger
O'Neal

3 shooting threats, Dunleavy at his natural position. I kind of like it, though I'd worry about post D. Although with Danny and JO that's smaller, but two guys who can block shots and I think Danny will look better defensively close to the basket (as opposed to chasing people around outside), while I'd worry about posting him up (he is a pretty tough guy though and he looked good as a 4 as a rookie).

I dunno. I kind of like it, but I need to see it work defensively.

ChicagoJ
07-24-2007, 12:04 PM
I know you must just keep forgetting, or maybe your keyboard simply can't type the word FOSTER, but Jeff is still on the team.

I don't know who he is.

:confused:

ChicagoJ
07-24-2007, 12:09 PM

I think we're slowly but surely moving away from the 1-2-3-4-5 lineup where 2 and 3 might be interchangeable and 4 and 5 might be interchangeable and moving toward a G-G-F-F-C lineup.

From JO'B's description, JO is absolutely a "C".

Granger and Dunleavy should make a good pair of forwards, Murphy can back up either of them (and so can Shawne, if he's ready for a regular role.)

mike_D
07-24-2007, 12:19 PM
PF: O'Neal
C: Murphy
6th Man: Dunleavy

Here is my thing, we signed two very good shooters in Rush and Diener which we do need. But if we don't play em then why sign them? We need Rush's shooting in the starting lineup because without him all we have is Murphy as far as shooters go and this is assuming we start him and not Foster.

Dunleavy may or may not do well as the 6th man IDK for sure. I'd try him there though. Hopefully he would excel there.

I really do not like a backcourt of Tinsley and Rush at all. Defensively that may be the worst backcourt of all time. I understand what you are saying, we brought guys in who can shoot so we need to find ways to play them but I just don't see any great options in the backcourt.

i do like the idea of Dunlevy coming off the bench being the 6th man I would like to see him utilized as a primary ball hander/point forward type.

Infinite MAN_force
07-24-2007, 01:02 PM

Tinsley
Rush
Dunleavy
Granger
O'Neal

3 shooting threats, Dunleavy at his natural position. I kind of like it, though I'd worry about post D. Although with Danny and JO that's smaller, but two guys who can block shots and I think Danny will look better defensively close to the basket (as opposed to chasing people around outside), while I'd worry about posting him up (he is a pretty tough guy though and he looked good as a 4 as a rookie).

I dunno. I kind of like it, but I need to see it work defensively.

This is interesting, Ive heard Obrien pretty much considers the 3 and 4 interchangeable. I would rather see dun starting than troy honestly, cause his all around game is better, though I am hoping he has improved his three point shot.

Tinsley/Deiner
Rush/Daniels
Dunleavy/Williams
Granger/Murphy
Oneal/Diogu

With your gaurds you have a shooter and a "drive to the basket" guy with both your 1st and 2nd unit (of course, tinsley has to finish for that to work). And a bunch of forwards that can (hopefully) hit threes from outside.

It seems like the 2nd unit is in trouble defensivly with diogu at center, I would say a taller guy like murphy could help in this situation but his D kinda sucks... Hopefully Harter can work some miracles.

pwee31
07-24-2007, 01:11 PM
I think it'll start of pretty much like last year

Tins
Dun Dun
Granger
JO
Murph

I think our bench is already better then last year. I like Diener more then ANY backup PG we had last year. We all know what a healthy Quis is capable of. Shawne has another year under his belt. Feisty is feisty. We should see what Ike can do. Rush is better then a lot of you think.

That's 6 guys off the bench right there I'm usually happy with a consistent 10 man rotation, throw in the extra guy and that's a solid core to me. I expect our defense to be better, as well as our offense. I see some pretty good things for us next year. Not great, but good.. which I can deal with as long as we continue to improve!

Trader Joe
07-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Yes

:hmm: To each his own I suppose.

purdue101
07-24-2007, 03:03 PM
here's how I envision our rotation under OB

tins/diener
dun/quis/rush
granger/quis
murphy/williams
JO/ike/foster

jeffg-body
07-24-2007, 04:23 PM
I really like this post. Her's my starting line-up I would like to see, and added some interesting possibilities on the floor, especially if we can play some descent zone D.

Starters

PG-Tinsley (love or hate him, he's what we got)

SG- Daniels (could plug in Rush if he performs well)

SF- Danny G (definite)

PF- JO (nothing to say about that other than 20/10/3 all of the time)

C- Foster (like his Rebounding and Toughness)

Interesting Ideas:

Athletic:cool:
PG- Daniels
SG- Rush
SF- Granger
PF- Williams
C- JO

Shooters:D
PG- Diener
SG- Rush
SF- Granger
PF- Williams
C- Murphy

Tough Matchup:angel:
PG- Dunleavy
SG- Daniels
SF- Granger
PF- JO
C-Ike

On Drugs/Nightmare:confused::eek:
PG-Diener
SG- Dunleavy
SF- Stanko
PF- Murphy
C- Foster

JayRedd
07-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Dream Team

PG - Stanko
SG - Stanko
SF - Stanko
PF - Stanko
C - Stanko

Kegboy
07-24-2007, 05:46 PM
Dream Team

PG - Stanko
SG - Stanko
SF - Stanko
PF - Stanko
C - Stanko

I wonder when LG gets back.

madison
07-24-2007, 05:54 PM
BlueNGold:
Starting lineups often are driven by who gets paid the most IMO. Like it or not, whether JOb or RC is coaching, this is who takes the floor first:

Tinsley
Quis or MDJ (I suspect Quis)
Granger
JO
Murphy

Couldn't agree more.

Unclebuck
07-24-2007, 06:05 PM
I think we're slowly but surely moving away from the 1-2-3-4-5 lineup where 2 and 3 might be interchangeable and 4 and 5 might be interchangeable and moving toward a G-G-F-F-C lineup.

From JO'B's description, JO is absolutely a "C".

Granger and Dunleavy should make a good pair of forwards, Murphy can back up either of them (and so can Shawne, if he's ready for a regular role.)

I read somewhere that in O'Brien's system, the 3 and 4 are interchangible - which is a departure from Carlisle's

ChicagoJ
07-24-2007, 06:46 PM
Right. That's why I can't believe people are forecasting some of these starting lineups.

I think it was the Shawne Williams article.

Nobody got my "Do you know who I am?" joke about Foster. Bummer.

ajbry
07-24-2007, 07:29 PM
I can't see Quis being in the starting lineup at the 2 because he ain't got the adequate range. But if we're starting Dunleavy or Rush we honestly aren't any better off.

Pacerized
07-24-2007, 09:06 PM
Tins
Daniels
Granger
J.O.
Foster

How many years in a row have people penciled in someone who was going to beat Foster out at center? Murphy couldn't beat out Foster last year, and he'll probably suck worse this year, so why would he start. I know O'Brien is leaning his way, but by the time the preseason is over Jeff will start again.
I still think we'll make a trade that will change the starters, but I'd rather see it at the 1, or 2.

Robertmto
07-25-2007, 01:47 AM
Who's this Foster guy ppl keep bringing up??

naptown
07-25-2007, 02:11 AM
As long as OB finds combinations that play well together and are competitive I dont care who starts.

ChicagoJ
07-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Tins
Daniels
Granger
J.O.
Foster

There is no way that JO and Foster will be on the court together this season under O'Brien's system.

Robobtowncolt
07-25-2007, 10:43 AM
There is no way that JO and Foster will be on the court together this season under O'Brien's system.

Ever? You willing to wager Game 3 of the Western Conference Finals on that?

Too soon?

ChicagoJ
07-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Ouch. Painful yet funny.

Please amend that to say post to say "extremely rare". Your wordsmithing is getting pretty good - see the benefits of working for a law firm.

(And as a client of a law firm, notice how good I am at setting it up so that you could make "value-add" suggestions to my wording.) :zip:

JayRedd
07-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Who's this Foster guy ppl keep bringing up??

Some Australian dude.

Robobtowncolt
07-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Ouch. Painful yet funny.

Please amend that to say post to say "extremely rare". Your wordsmithing is getting pretty good - see the benefits of working for a law firm.

(And as a client of a law firm, notice how good I am at setting it up so that you could make "value-add" suggestions to my wording.) :zip:

I PMed you a bill for my 6 minutes.

ChicagoJ
07-25-2007, 11:59 AM
Now that's an interesting concept.

Robertmto
07-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Some Australian dude.

better than Stanko?

OnlyPacersLeft
07-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Assuming that the team enters the season in its current shape, how do you think the starting lineup should look like and how do you think it would work. As in what situations we might see in the games and what kind of ball would that group play...

Mine is...

Pg Jamaal Tinsley
Sg Kareem Rush
Sf Danny Granger
Pf Jermaine Oneal
C Troy Murphy

I like it...except murphy can do to the bench and we start foster...
Man that's some offense for real...Tins,Rush,Granger,JO, and foster to clean up...chea!

Doddage
07-25-2007, 07:47 PM
O'Brien said in an interview soon after he became head coach that he would stick with the lineup of Tins, Dun, Grang, JO, Murphy. So, with his system in mind, the starting lineup will more than likely be:

Tinsley/Diener/DA
Dunleavy (hopefully his three point range has developed at this point)/Rush/Quis
Granger/Quis/Shawne
Murphy/Granger/Shawne
JO/Ike/Foster/Harrison

CableKC
07-26-2007, 01:08 AM
O'Brien said in an interview soon after he became head coach that he would stick with the lineup of Tins, Dun, Grang, JO, Murphy. So, with his system in mind, the starting lineup will more than likely be:

Tinsley/Diener/DA
Dunleavy (hopefully his three point range has developed at this point)/Rush/Quis
Granger/Quis/Shawne
Murphy/Granger/Shawne
JO/Ike/Foster/Harrison
I think that Marquis will play his share of minutes at the Guard position...not any minutes at the backup SF minutes ( which should go to Shawne or Dunleavy ).

This does bring to mind a valid question.....is JO'Bs offense going to be based purely on having the most 3pt shooters on the floor as possible ( which would exclude a player like Marquis...who isn't that good of a 3pt scorer )?

or

Is it going to be based off of having the best shooters on the floor?

I still think that Marquis will play 24-28+ minutes at the SG simply cuz he is too good of a non-3pt shooter to remain on the bench. But since he isn't that great of a 3pt shooter....but a much better midrange/slashing SG.....I suspect that he will playing most of his backup PG minutes while remaining on the floor with other 3pt options like Dunleavy/Kareem/Granger/Shawne/Murphy.

Until I see more of them play.....I think that Deiner and Kareem will play the "3pt shooter" role on the team....probably averaging about 15+ mpg and fulfilling a 8th to 9th man role on the team.

Trader Joe
07-26-2007, 01:16 AM
Quis will backup the point behind Tins IMO. Especially if Rush is to be our downtown threat off the bench.

pianoman
07-26-2007, 11:27 AM
does anyone remember last offseason when Foster was practicing on his 3pt shot in practice??

Infinite MAN_force
07-27-2007, 01:11 PM
This does bring to mind a valid question.....is JO'Bs offense going to be based purely on having the most 3pt shooters on the floor as possible ( which would exclude a player like Marquis...who isn't that good of a 3pt scorer )?

or

Is it going to be based off of having the best shooters on the floor?

I still think that Marquis will play 24-28+ minutes at the SG simply cuz he is too good of a non-3pt shooter to remain on the bench. But since he isn't that great of a 3pt shooter....but a much better midrange/slashing SG.....I suspect that he will playing most of his backup PG minutes while remaining on the floor with other 3pt options like Dunleavy/Kareem/Granger/Shawne/Murphy.

I think you are right here but because of the emphasis on three point shooting I cant see a Tinsley/Daniels starting backcourt... JOB will want a real 3 point shooter in there.

I would do Tinsley/Rush as the starting backcourt, With Diener/Daniels backing up. That way there is a three point threat (Deiner) on the floor with Daniels. Also, If Diener is getting burned defensivly I could see moving Daniels over to backup point guard to help. Either way Daniels would be playing a lot of minutes at both guard positions in a prominent 6th man role.

I see dunleavy probably in the forward rotation along with granger/murphy/williams and Oneal/Diogu/foster playing minutes at center.

Infinite MAN_force
07-27-2007, 01:14 PM

Do you have a source on this? I read an interview where he said that only Tinsley and Oneal were for sure starters and everything else was up for grabs.

Alpolloloco
07-28-2007, 12:42 AM
I will start with:

Diener
Daniels
Granger
Diogu
JO

and have Murphy/Dunleavy/Foster/Rush/Williams get the rest of the minutes off the bench.

Jose Slaughter
07-28-2007, 01:08 AM
Diener
Dunleavy
Granger
Murphy
O'Neal