PDA

View Full Version : Pacers interested in pargo

pianoman
07-23-2007, 02:02 PM
From realgm
New Orleans Times-Picayune -
The Miami Heat , Indiana Pacers and Hornets remain interested in signing Jannero Pargo, who averaged 9.2 points last season while playing in all 82 games with the Hornets.

If the Hornets don't re-sign Pargo, they could pursue Houston backup guard John Lucas in a trade. Lucas has one year remaining on his contract with the Rockets.

I think we can sign and trade for him. Possibly for Troy Murphy and 2 2 rd picks. I like his overall game. decent stats. He is not starting material here, but could get more pt than Deiner.

Robobtowncolt
07-23-2007, 02:03 PM
Better throw a link in there or the admins will delete it.

Speed
07-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Ya I saw this, kinda would burst the Deiner family's bubble? I bet it is old info, would be my guess, Wells had this last week pre the Deiner era.

tadscout
07-23-2007, 02:12 PM
I think we can sign and trade for him. Possibly for Troy Murphy and 2 2 rd picks. I like his overall game. decent stats. He is not starting material here, but could get more pt than Deiner.

:hmm::crazy:

You think Pargo is worth around 10 mil?

or even think he's at the same skill/level as Murphy is as a player?

:hmm::crazy:

FrenchConnection
07-23-2007, 02:13 PM
From realgm
New Orleans Times-Picayune -
The Miami Heat , Indiana Pacers and Hornets remain interested in signing Jannero Pargo, who averaged 9.2 points last season while playing in all 82 games with the Hornets.

If the Hornets don't re-sign Pargo, they could pursue Houston backup guard John Lucas in a trade. Lucas has one year remaining on his contract with the Rockets.

So you want to pay him 12 million per year? Because that is what a S&T for Murphy would entail.

pianoman
07-23-2007, 02:14 PM
IDK but we would have to trade him for someone. BTW, how do you put up a link???

tadscout
07-23-2007, 02:15 PM
Hornets, Heat And Pacers Interested In Pargo- Link (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47281/20070723/hornets_heat_and_pacers_interested_in_pargo/)

Kegboy
07-23-2007, 02:22 PM
I'd feel much better about him as our primary backup than either Daniels or Diener. We don't have the money to pay him, though. He'll end up in Miami.

Considering we traded them Peja for a second-rounder from the 90's last year, I wouldn't be knocking a guy for wanting to unload Murphy. However, their cap situation this year makes it impossible.

Unclebuck
07-23-2007, 02:26 PM
I want him as the starter -

Kegboy
07-23-2007, 02:28 PM
I want him as the starter -

Buck, you want Ollie from Hoosiers to be the starter, too.

Jose Slaughter
07-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Sign Pargo - buy out Tinsley!

JayRedd
07-23-2007, 02:41 PM

At least dude was clutch.

owl
07-23-2007, 03:04 PM
If signing Pargo means Tins is moving on I would be all for that. Then let Pargo and Diener fight for the starting spot and the other is the backup.

avoidingtheclowns
07-23-2007, 03:09 PM
i don't think either pargo or diener is starting material but if bird is absolute about wanting another PG (not sure about DAs status), signing a PG that can play defense and kinda run an offense would be a good idea (Pargo fits that bill) the fact that he's not a shooting liability would also be a good thing. i think pargo will probably sign for less money than mcleod (who i think is miami bound).

Unclebuck
07-23-2007, 03:10 PM
i don't think either pargo or diener is starting material but if bird is absolute about wanting another PG (not sure about DAs status), signing a PG that can play defense and kinda run an offense would be a good idea (Pargo fits that bill) the fact that he's not a shooting liability would also be a good thing. i think pargo will probably sign for less money than mcleod (who i think is miami bound).

Pacers have had a decent starter in about 7 seaons, so what difference does it make if we go one more season without a starter

avoidingtheclowns
07-23-2007, 03:19 PM
Pacers have had a decent starter in about 7 seaons, so what difference does it make if we go one more season without a starter

and if tinsley sucks it up under o'brien i'll be calling for pargo. i've wanted tinsley gone for the last couple of seasons but i also think it isn't unreasonable to think that maybe tinsleys problems have had a lot to do with rick. so for the first time in 3 years, i'm willing to have an open mind about him.

count55
07-23-2007, 03:23 PM
and if tinsley sucks it up under o'brien i'll be calling for pargo. i've wanted tinsley gone for the last couple of seasons but i also think it isn't unreasonable to think that maybe tinsleys problems have had a lot to do with rick. so for the first time in 3 years, i'm willing to have an open mind about him.

I strongly suspect we'll discover, once and for all, that Tinsley's problems have a lot to do with Tinsley, and not Rick, but we're stuck with him.

My personal hope is that he can put up 13, 7+ asts, 40+% shooting, 72+ games, and 0 arrests/indictments/convictions. He does that again, he's got starting quality PG numbers and two years of relative health. That contract starts to look a lot more tradeable.

avoidingtheclowns
07-23-2007, 03:31 PM
I strongly suspect we'll discover, once and for all, that Tinsley's problems have a lot to do with Tinsley, and not Rick, but we're stuck with him.

My personal hope is that he can put up 13, 7+ asts, 40+% shooting, 72+ games, and 0 arrests/indictments/convictions. He does that again, he's got starting quality PG numbers and two years of relative health. That contract starts to look a lot more tradeable.

i second that hope.

the problem with tinsley is the length and the baggage. he has the tools to be a starter and without the rest of the crap we certainly could have traded him by now. he is fairly cheap for starting PGs especially when you look at some of the numbers he can post - when tinsley is locked in, he can be quite impressive. he has just been really inconsistent, injured and a dustpan-waving, barbrawl-fighting baggage carrier. sigh.

NuffSaid
07-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Sign Pargo - buy out Tinsley!
What? You do realize Tinsley is signed through 2011, right? That's four years from now equaling appx. $27.5M! You might want to rethink that one...

Anthem
07-23-2007, 04:22 PM
Charlotte is under the cap.

They could S&T him here without paying him Murphy's salary.

indyman37
07-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Forget Ollie, Larry and Donnie need to go find Jimmy and sign him pronto.

owl
07-23-2007, 04:42 PM

I have seen more that enough. He has had 2 coaches and EVEN if he can't
get along with the coach at least give your best effort. NO, Tinsley has
very clearly shown he does not have the desire or mentality to deal
with the cards he has been dealt. Please trade him.

Trader Joe
07-23-2007, 04:59 PM
So how many PGs do we want on the roster?

blanket
07-23-2007, 05:03 PM
Charlotte is under the cap.

They could S&T him here without paying him Murphy's salary.

He is not Charlotte's FA, he is New Orleans'.

diamonddave00
07-23-2007, 05:08 PM
You pay Pargo around 1.4 mil can't see him getting more than that. He's 28 and kicked around for 5 years struggling to latch on somewhere. Last season was the first time he had played in more than 55 games.

No one is looking at him as more than a backup role. He shot a career high 39% from 3 point range , and averaged 9 ppg playing quite a bit while Chris Paul was injuried . With Tinsley signed for 4 years at over 6 mil a year and Diener at 1.6 avg next 3 years , I can't see the Pacers spending a lot on Pargo , considering they seem to think Daniels will play pg too.

So if Pargo would accept a 2 year 3 mil total deal I could see the Pacers signing him anything above that I'd pass. He's 6'1 185 so he like Diener is limited to backup pg only.

FlavaDave
07-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Trade Tinsley to Miami for Williams, sign Pargo for 5 million over three years. Let Williams contract expire, and we get some cap room while keeping us solid at the point.

diamonddave00
07-23-2007, 06:31 PM
Comparing Jason Williams and Jamaal Tinsley's careers they are basicly the same player. Williams has played 9 years misses 14 games a season , Tinsley 6 years misses 22 games a year. But their overall stats aside from ft% are pretty similar.

G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG TO PPG
612 596 31.5 .397 .322 .812 2.5 6.5 1.3 0.0 2.36 11.7
359 329 29.9 .397 .310 .712 3.4 6.9 1.6 0.3 2.83 10.3

If we trade for Williams for 1 year then let him leave- how are we solid at the point??? Pargo would be a 29 year old point guard who coming into this season has 8 career starts , and Travis Diener would be a 26 year old with 0 career starts.

Sorry Pargo is a career .398 fg % shooter where is that a step up? Diener .423 in very limited time. As of now neither has shown they are NBA quality starting point guards.

Neither were top rated and highly drafted , nope not my idea of solid at the point enough to dump Tinsley for a one year experiment with the 32 year old Jason Williams who had knee surgery last summer and struggled most of last season.

Anthem
07-23-2007, 06:34 PM
He is not Charlotte's FA, he is New Orleans'.
:blush: Instinct... I saw "Hornets" and thought "Charlotte."

My bad.

Hicks
07-23-2007, 06:38 PM
Sorry those wishing for it, but I think Tinsley will be our starting PG this season. 2008-2009 might be a completely different story (unless he re-discovers himself this year under O'Brien).

JayRedd
07-23-2007, 06:40 PM
2008-2009 might be a completely different story (unless he re-discovers himself this year under O'Brien).

No no....I'm pretty sure we can just give Tinsley a new nickname right now: The Never-Ending Story.

Kegboy
07-23-2007, 06:48 PM
You pay Pargo around 1.4 mil can't see him getting more than that. He's 28 and kicked around for 5 years struggling to latch on somewhere. Last season was the first time he had played in more than 55 games.

No one is looking at him as more than a backup role. He shot a career high 39% from 3 point range , and averaged 9 ppg playing quite a bit while Chris Paul was injuried . With Tinsley signed for 4 years at over 6 mil a year and Diener at 1.6 avg next 3 years , I can't see the Pacers spending a lot on Pargo , considering they seem to think Daniels will play pg too.

So if Pargo would accept a 2 year 3 mil total deal I could see the Pacers signing him anything above that I'd pass. He's 6'1 185 so he like Diener is limited to backup pg only.

So you think he'd take less money that Diener?

Swingman
07-23-2007, 06:58 PM
We were probably interested in Pargo or Diener but not both. I don't see why the pacers would want so many backup PGs. We had more than our share last year as well so who knows.

We have Tinsley, Diener, possibly Owens, and Daniels is supposed to get a shot at PG.

With the 2008 draft being fully stocked with PGs, there's no need for another PG this year unless it's just a 1 year deal.

Anthem
07-23-2007, 07:29 PM
I agree w/ Swingman here. It makes no sense that we'd still be going after Pargo once we landed Diener.

I'd love to see a decent shooting guard prospect, or (dare I say it) a trade.

diamonddave00
07-23-2007, 07:41 PM
Way I'm looking at it Pargo takes less or goes elsewhere. Diener will make what Granger does , I'm not giving Pargo more than Granger and Williams too.

grace
07-24-2007, 12:26 AM
I don't think starting Pargo would be a good idea, but he would definitely be a good back up.

Young
07-24-2007, 01:04 AM
Not longer do I want Pargo. We don't need him.

The last thing we need is 3 point guards who are deserving of playing time. We had that a couple years ago with Jamaal, Saras, and AJ and we don't need that again.

You give Travis Diener 5 million dollars then you better let him play. Keep Darrell Armstrong on as a veteran backup, forget having a 4th point guard it will be useless. If we really need one i'm sure Andre Owens will still be avaliable if we really needed him.

Adding Pargo would just give us the same situation that we had with Tinsley, Saras, and AJ. I don't want that.

Jose Slaughter
07-24-2007, 04:08 AM
What? You do realize Tinsley is signed through 2011, right? That's four years from now equaling appx. $27.5M! You might want to rethink that one...

I did re-think it.

You should have heard what I wanted to do with him originally. :devil:

FlavaDave
07-24-2007, 08:39 AM
Comparing Jason Williams and Jamaal Tinsley's careers they are basicly the same player. Williams has played 9 years misses 14 games a season , Tinsley 6 years misses 22 games a year. But their overall stats aside from ft% are pretty similar.

G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG TO PPG
612 596 31.5 .397 .322 .812 2.5 6.5 1.3 0.0 2.36 11.7
359 329 29.9 .397 .310 .712 3.4 6.9 1.6 0.3 2.83 10.3

If we trade for Williams for 1 year then let him leave- how are we solid at the point??? Pargo would be a 29 year old point guard who coming into this season has 8 career starts , and Travis Diener would be a 26 year old with 0 career starts.

Sorry Pargo is a career .398 fg % shooter where is that a step up? Diener .423 in very limited time. As of now neither has shown they are NBA quality starting point guards.

Neither were top rated and highly drafted , nope not my idea of solid at the point enough to dump Tinsley for a one year experiment with the 32 year old Jason Williams who had knee surgery last summer and struggled most of last season.

I don't care about Williams. All he is to me is an expiring contract.

By "solid at the point", I mean will be good enough with a combo of either Diener/Pargo and either Daniels/Dunleavy on the floor to handle the distribution of the ball. I don't see this team competing anytime soon, and that combo will be good enough to not stop us from getting to the playoffs.

Tinsley might be solid at the PG position this year, but trust me: with the salary he makes and the number of years he will make it, cap room is more valuable than Tinsley right now.

Basically, the plan would be to use Williams for a year, having two good backups just in case. Then, let Williams expire, and try to use the MLE on a better PG. If we can't find one, ride out a year with Pargo and Diener and try again next year.

Anytime we can replace an expensive player with a player or players who are cheaper, you do it, period. Half the battle in this league is managing the cap.

Unclebuck
07-24-2007, 08:45 AM
I did re-think it.

You should have heard what I wanted to do with him originally. :devil:

LOL

Robobtowncolt
07-24-2007, 09:39 AM
Tinsley would be fine with a big man coach.

avoidingtheclowns
07-24-2007, 10:36 AM
:blush: Instinct... I saw "Hornets" and thought "Charlotte."

My bad.

actually i did the same thing the other day when i read that the hornets had signed MoPete

ChicagoJ
07-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Tinsley would be fine with a big man coach.

QFT.

BTW, "Free Btown" > "Big Man Coach".