PDA

View Full Version : USA Qualifying Scrimmage On Now

JayRedd
07-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Just saw it...pretty entertaining.

It's on Fox Sports. I'm in New York, but I imagine yall carrier has it too.

56 - 49 at the half. JKidd and Bron on one side and Kobe and Durant on the other have been doing work since I started watching.

ajbry
07-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Mike Miller is on fire.

And this halftime show is so lame.

JayRedd
07-22-2007, 07:59 PM
And this halftime show is so lame.

That was horrible.

ajbry
07-22-2007, 08:01 PM
That was horrible.

Not only that, but as usual it was geared towards the wrong demographic. It ain't the NBA or anything, but why can't professional basketball in any form start catering to their actual fanbase in terms of halftime shows, opening music, etc.?

Unclebuck
07-22-2007, 08:08 PM
It is good to see basketball again, I really miss it.

JayRedd
07-22-2007, 08:15 PM
Two Things:

1) Even with all the praise he gets, Jason Kidd is still underrated.

2) Bold Prediction: Barring injury, Deron Williams will be a Hall of Famer.

ajbry
07-22-2007, 08:17 PM
The 2nd half has been a chuckfest. However, I love chucking so it's still entertaining.

JayRedd
07-22-2007, 08:24 PM
SICK block by The Chosen One. SICK pass by JKidd to Bron for the kick-out to Mikey Miller. SICK put-back dunk by Durant.

(Also...Kobe looks mad skinny. He said he's been training hard all summer...maybe he's tryna get even quicker.

Lord Helmet
07-22-2007, 08:26 PM
Not only that, but as usual it was geared towards the wrong demographic. It ain't the NBA or anything, but why can't professional basketball in any form start catering to their actual fanbase in terms of halftime shows, opening music, etc.?
What was the halftime show?

Unclebuck
07-22-2007, 08:27 PM
Kidd has always been underrated. He's one of my alltime favorites.

Ah, Durrant looks great to me - wow, first I've seen him play and he's going to be a special player - soon

ajbry
07-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Ah, Durrant looks great to me - wow, first I've seen him play and he's going to be a special player - soon

Yup, he looks comfortable already and his arsenal is crazy.

Why the hell is JJ Redick actually being considered for this team? The dude is terrible.

Unclebuck
07-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Redick just doesn't look like he's in the same class as the other players.

JayRedd
07-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Kidd has always been underrated. He's one of my alltime favorites.

If you love basketball, I think he has to be.

That spin move, fadaway hook shot was absurd. This kid has EVERYTHING. Also picked some PG's (Billups?) pocket on the proverbial, "poke-away the crossover and pick it up behind the dribbler" move.

AesopRockOn
07-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Nah he picked Redd.

ajbry
07-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Redd is making way too many mistakes to make this team, especially if Mike Miller continues shooting the way he is.

ajbry
07-22-2007, 08:46 PM
Kevin Durant is nasty. Just nasty.

rexnom
07-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Ok, I'm gonna need more details...what is this freak doing? By the way, I was always in the Durant over Oden camp...

AesopRockOn
07-22-2007, 09:01 PM
Redd is making way too many mistakes to make this team, especially if Mike Miller continues shooting the way he is.

I'd take Redd before Miller any day. I'm still trying to figure out why he was in the game.

Kegboy
07-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Ok, I'm gonna need more details...what is this freak doing? By the way, I was always in the Durant over Oden camp...

Just scoring with ease over the likes of Battier and Prince. Pretty much what he did in college, just against real competition. It was very impressive, he just looked natural out there, which was kind of jarring after his poor play in the summer league. Which, again, shows you just how worthless summer league is.

bnd45
07-23-2007, 12:09 AM
Wow. What a summer game that was. Loved the intensity. The difference between Kobe and LeBron was on display during the final 10 seconds.

My 5 cuts would be:
1. Redick (obvious)
2. Chandler (Bosh, STAT, and Howard are enough)
3. Prince (Battier gets the nod)
4. Hinrich (either him or Billups is the odd PG out)
5. Redd (Miller is a better spot-up shooter)

*Durant is good enough to contribute on this team.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
07-23-2007, 12:29 AM
This game was far and away better than the All-Star Game.

oneofthesedays
07-23-2007, 02:50 AM
Durant is going to be the best player coming out of this year's draft by far. Put him on the squad, the kid can definitely compete.

Love him or hate him, Kobe showed everyone why he is the best player on the planet right now. Lebron who? That's right King James, as good as you are those last 10 seconds defined why you aren't even in Bryant's league. Maybe in another 3-4 years.

JB's Breakout Year
07-23-2007, 06:37 AM
That was the first time I'd seen him play, and I was blown away by Durant. So smooth, so confident.

He's going to get overpowered his first couple of years defensively, but his offense is already NBA-ready.

Unclebuck
07-23-2007, 08:02 AM
I only saw the second half of the game - I had no idea it was on TV or even being played - but it was a really good game - maybe I was just starved for a little basketball.

Did anyone else feel like I did. I figured Kobe would take the last second shot for his team and I figured Lebron would take the last second shot for his team - and I figured Kobe would make his and LeBron would not.

Best thing I can say about Durant is two things. I can't wait to watch him again - he will increase attendance where ever he plays this season. (Oden will too especially here in Indiana). Durant looked like a guy who has been in the NBA 4 or 5 years - not a guy who is 20 years old. Granted I didn't get a chance to really see his defense, or passing, or team defense - so I'm sure the more I watch him the more I'll see his flaws. But he has gifts you cannot teach

rexnom
07-23-2007, 08:38 AM
I only saw the second half of the game - I had no idea it was on TV or even being played - but it was a really good game - maybe I was just starved for a little basketball.

Did anyone else feel like I did. I figured Kobe would take the last second shot for his team and I figured Lebron would take the last second shot for his team - and I figured Kobe would make his and LeBron would not.

Best thing I can say about Durant is two things. I can't wait to watch him again - he will increase attendance where ever he plays this season. (Oden will too especially here in Indiana). Durant looked like a guy who has been in the NBA 4 or 5 years - not a guy who is 20 years old. Granted I didn't get a chance to really see his defense, or passing, or team defense - so I'm sure the more I watch him the more I'll see his flaws. But he has gifts you cannot teach
Welcome to the world of Kevin Durant and why at least five teams tanked to get him as a consolation prize.

FlavaDave
07-23-2007, 08:51 AM
This game was far and away better than the All-Star Game.

Exactly.

I'm glad I stumbled upon it. It totally ruled.

Ransom
07-23-2007, 10:43 AM
That was a lot of fun to watch!

I agree it was better than the all star game. I suppose it goes toward this game having an actual competitive aspect.

JayRedd
07-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Welcome to the world of Kevin Durant and why at least five teams tanked to get him as a consolation prize.

He's better than Oden and it's not close.

Write it down. Take a picture. Call your mom. Just don't say I didn't warn you.

There's not a single thing he can't do exceptionally on a basketball court.

If you're not already on the Durant train: ALL ABOARD.

Last stop Springfield.

rexnom
07-23-2007, 12:20 PM

Last stop Springfield.
I've thought about this a lot since draft day. I'm pretty sure I'm going to become a Seattle fan this year. Also, I will be SHOCKED if KD doesn't average 20+ his rookie year.

avoidingtheclowns
07-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Wow. What a summer game that was. Loved the intensity. The difference between Kobe and LeBron was on display during the final 10 seconds.

My 5 cuts would be:
1. Redick (obvious)
3. Prince (Battier gets the nod)
4. Hinrich (either him or Billups is the odd PG out)
5. Redd (Miller is a better spot-up shooter)

*Durant is good enough to contribute on this team.

the problem with going miller over redd is that redd is quicker and plays defense. both things are more necessary for the international game. plus redd is a fairly competent shooter himself.

bnd45
07-23-2007, 01:20 PM
the problem with going miller over redd is that redd is quicker and plays defense. both things are more necessary for the international game. plus redd is a fairly competent shooter himself.

Totally agree that Redd is the better player, but he strikes me more as a shooter who is better when he's constantly moving and coming off picks (like Reggie) I don't see Team USA tailoring its offense to help get Redd going. Both great shooters who should be on the team, but I don't see Coach K cutting Battier, so one has to go.

bnd45
07-23-2007, 01:23 PM

Read my post at #20. We got a cool glimps at how competitive Kobe and even D'Antoni really are. D'Antoni was actually getting animated on the sidelines and looked genuinely fired up when his team won. As for Kobe, those final 2 minutes were very impressive. He totally separated himself from the other 16 players and showed why he's the best player in the league.

Shade
07-23-2007, 01:34 PM

Last stop Springfield.

I'm sorry, but that's absurd.

Not even close?

Oden will be better than Durant, not that Durant is a bad player, but Oden is really that good.

JayRedd
07-23-2007, 01:35 PM
I'm sorry, but that's absurd.

Not even close?

Oden will be better than Durant, not that Durant is a bad player, but Oden is really that good.

Agree to disagree.

Hicks
07-23-2007, 01:56 PM
Who do you believe will be the better play in a fantasy league? I'm having (it's hard, I know) to choose between them myself in a keeper league draft, and haven't made up my mind.

FlavaDave
07-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Who do you believe will be the better play in a fantasy league? I'm having (it's hard, I know) to choose between them myself in a keeper league draft, and haven't made up my mind.

Oh, Durant for sure.

If you consider Kobe and Garnett to be better players than Duncan, then you will feel the same way about Durant. I see Oden having a lower-key, Duncan-like career (titles and MVPs included).

Durant will be "better". Oden will be more valuable.

rexnom
07-23-2007, 02:41 PM
As was stated above, you want Durant.

Oden is going to be better on FG% (though Durant is not going to be bad for a volume shooter). Durant is also like Gerald Wallace in his insane blocking and steal ability. Even if Oden has the same type of blocking success in the pros as in college, he is not going to be as far ahead of Durant as people might think. Now, we know about Oden playing left-handed and all, but still, I doubt his FT% will be better than Durant's. Durant will also get you a good amount of threes. Now, in terms of rebounds and points, Portland is loaded with young talent and options. Seattle's unquestioned number one will be Kevin Durant from day one. He will look lost on defense, take ill-advised shots, turnovers galore (one slight concern...but one that comes with all good players) etc. but I'll be damned if he doesn't produce at least 20pts, 6-7rebs his first year out. He also has two quality PG and an unselfish Robin for teammates.

His peak is of course much higher than that. The only questions about Durant are defensive and toughness issues (though he pretty much stopped the more experienced Belinelli in summer league play...though that doesn't matter, of course)...he will be an unquestionable talent offensively (and fantasy-wise) with literally, no ceiling. If you froze me and woke me up in 2012 and told me Durant was pouring in 35, 12, 5, 2, and 2 at 50-40-80, I would not be shocked. Short-term as well as long-term, Durant's your man.

JayRedd
07-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Fantasywise, I agree it's Durant.

Most of what Flava and Rex say is true.

16 and 6 is certainly expectated, with the ppg definitely having near 25 ppg potential.

One other perk is that he shot 81.6% from the line last year. That certainly won't change much. I could also see him taking up to 6 or 7 threes a game as well, so making 250 or so for the season is not out of the question.

Hicks
07-23-2007, 06:12 PM
Thanks all. I think I'll go with KD when the time comes. (Unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse).

bulldog
07-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Also, no ones mentioned yet that Oden is playing on an up-coming Blazers team with some front court depth, while Durant is playing on a (short-term) gawd-awful team in Seattle: he's gonna get minutes and shots no matter what. As far as fantasy goes, its a no brainer.

carpediem024
07-23-2007, 07:16 PM
I watched the highlights and it seemed like it was a very fun game to watch.

Too bad I missed it. :mad:

Oh well, KB24 > NBA.

Hicks
07-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Oh well, KB24 > NBA.

Not meant in any personal way, but this attitude (held by many involving their favorite player(s) ) is IMO something that's wrong with the NBA.

rexnom
07-23-2007, 09:39 PM
Not meant in any personal way, but this attitude (held by many involving their favorite player(s) ) is IMO something that's wrong with the NBA.
I usually disagree with this kind of sentiment because I think stars such as Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, and LeBron James make the NBA (everyone loves big names).

However, I have to agree with you here, Mal. I just don't understand the statement "KB24>NBA." How can a single player be greater than a league? Kobe would be nothing without the NBA. The NBA would do fine without Kobe. I think he increases its popularity like MJ did before him (to a lesser extent of course) but Kobe is not above the league and I am fairly sure that even Kobe, with an ego as big as his is (and is justified as it may be), would never consider himself "greater than" the NBA.

bulldog
07-23-2007, 10:53 PM
I think you guys are making too much out of a passing statement.

However, if you'd like to discuss who the best player in the NBA is, you'll find me on the Kobe side of the aisle.

rexnom
07-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Agree to disagree.
Whale's vagina.

Lord Helmet
07-23-2007, 11:12 PM
It seems fans of the NBA very often are just "player fans", I see it more and more in the NBA, people just boasting about one particular player, be it LeBron, Kobe, Shaq, Wade or Iverson. Or just a player they like.

I'm not calling the person you quoted one of those, but they do act like that sometimes.

Disappointing.

Doug
07-24-2007, 10:22 AM
Thanks all. I think I'll go with KD when the time comes. (Unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse).

For the Keeper League: Remember we weight offensive rebounds and blocks pretty heavy. Oden will score significantly better at both. Likely KD will have more steals, probably more points, but IMO, it will be pretty close. KD might score more fantasy points. Oden might score more fantasy points per minute.

I think it would be pretty hard to go wrong with either one of them in the keeper league though.

Kegboy
07-24-2007, 08:14 PM
FYI, for those who missed it, this game will be repeated Wednesday at 3pm on Fox Sports Indiana.

Bynum Brigade
07-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Wow! Kobe once again proved why he is the greastest player on the planet. It was more that just the last ten seconds that proves it like some of you have said, it was the last two minutes. The three to tie, the two for the lead, the two again for the lead, and then the game winning stop on LBJ. He scored the last seven points for the blue team.:eek:

Then comes the young fella Kevin Durant this kid had me jumping out of my seat. IMO there is no way in heck Oden can even hold this kids jock. Unlike Oden, KD has showed time and time again glimpses of being a star. This time he shined like a polished diamond.

Kegboy
07-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Yeah, but you gotta admit that block James threw on Kobe in the 3rd was pretty sick.

Bynum Brigade
07-24-2007, 08:40 PM
Yeah, but you gotta admit that block James threw on Kobe in the 3rd was pretty sick.

I don't want to but I will.

carpediem024
07-25-2007, 11:33 AM

Hehe I just put that because Kobe got that winning shot.

However I do think he's the best player. (right now)

EDIT: Rex, I thought people would've figured out themselves that it meant Kobe is the best in the league.

Not him being better against all the NBA players combined. :cringe:

Trader Joe
07-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Everyone agree that Seattle will probably be one of the 5 worst teams in the NBA regardless of what Durant does? If so what happens if they add Derrick Rose or Eric Gordon to that team. They could be unstoppable offensively.

Kegboy
07-25-2007, 01:34 PM
Everyone agree that Seattle will probably be one of the 5 worst teams in the NBA regardless of what Durant does? If so what happens if they add Derrick Rose or Eric Gordon to that team. They could be unstoppable offensively.

Oh, definitely. And after that Kurt Thomas trade, I almost want to see Phoenix fall apart and those two draft picks turn into lottery picks. Then Portland and them could duke it out for the next 10 years, and that'd really force them to reseed the playoffs, or else the WCF would be the Finals.

Trader Joe
07-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Oh, definitely. And after that Kurt Thomas trade, I almost want to see Phoenix fall apart and those two draft picks turn into lottery picks. Then Portland and them could duke it out for the next 10 years, and that'd really force them to reseed the playoffs, or else the WCF would be the Finals.

Phoenix could easily be a lotto team by 2010. They are strapped for cash and Nash is probably going to start declining soon. How long does Amare's knee hold up? Will Diaw back away from the croisants? How long until Marion wants out to have his own team? PHX created more questions then answers this offseason. Kerr hasn't impressed me much.

Naptown_Seth
07-25-2007, 07:16 PM
I think the Pacers will draft higher than the Sonics next year.

Kegboy
07-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Ouch. There's darkside, and there's apocalyptic.

JayRedd
07-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Ouch. There's darkside, and there's apocalyptic.

What do we get for "apocalyptic"?

Cupcakes? Brownies? Ice-cream cake?

Kegboy
07-25-2007, 09:40 PM
What do we get for "apocalyptic"?

Cupcakes? Brownies? Ice-cream cake?

You get to pick your choice:

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/ERICGORDON4_18150.JPG http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/DERRICKROSE5_9150.JPG http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/OJMAYO6_17150.JPG

Trader Joe
07-25-2007, 10:29 PM
I think the Pacers will draft higher than the Sonics next year.

I don't disagree with that.

Trader Joe
07-25-2007, 10:30 PM
You get to pick your choice:

http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/ERICGORDON4_18150.JPG http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/DERRICKROSE5_9150.JPG http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT/PHOTO/OJMAYO6_17150.JPG

DEAL.

Hicks
07-25-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm sure Bill Simmons recommends it. The Celtics = Next Dynasty.

oops.

Kegboy
07-26-2007, 12:12 AM
Well, Hicks, just look at it this way. If we finish with the worst record, the worst case scenario is we draft 4th, where we could draft Michael Beasley, another small forward! :yay2:

spreedom
07-26-2007, 12:26 AM

Honestly, I'd rather have Chandler on a team like this than Stoudemire. In the NBA, it's a different story, but Team USA is full of scorers.. but not full of great defenders like TC. I think Amare is a VERY reckless defender, and he's just going to rack up fouls in international play, where superstar calls don't exist, and international players aren't going to be afraid to drive on him.

Hicks
07-26-2007, 01:39 AM
Well, Hicks, just look at it this way. If we finish with the worst record, the worst case scenario is we draft 4th, where we could draft Michael Beasley, another small forward! :yay2:

And then we'll be free to trade Danny for a guard! :highfive:

Bynum Brigade
07-26-2007, 04:25 PM
My gold medal winning team USA line up.

Kidd/Williams/Hinrich
Kobe/Redd
Melo/Battier/Miller
Bosh/Amare
Howard/Chandler

:usa::usa::usa:

Naptown_Seth
07-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Obviously Kidd and Kobe make that team A LOT better.