PDA

View Full Version : Suns trade Kurt Thomas and two 1st rounders to Seattle for 2nd rounder

Kegboy
07-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Okay, this is getting ridiculous.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0720kurttraded-CR.html

Thomas traded to Seattle

Team also re-signs Marks

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 20, 2007 09:01 AM
The Suns traded center Kurt Thomas this morning in a move that relieves some salary-cap pressure.

Thomas goes to the Seattle SuperSonics, along with the Suns' own 2008 and 2010 first-round draft picks in exchange for a future conditional 2nd round pick and a trade exception, worth about $8 million.

The league's new luxury tax threshold -- the number at which teams would begin to be taxed -- came in different from what the Suns expected, at $67.9 million, and would have left Phoenix more than $10 million over that number.

The Suns also re-signed Sean Marks. If draft picks Alando Tucker and D.J. Strawberry make the team, that would leave Phoenix with one roster position open. They will be looking to fill it with a free-agent front-line player.

JayRedd
07-20-2007, 02:35 PM
These guys must think Nash is immortal.

Kegboy
07-20-2007, 02:36 PM
Here's what Kerr said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2943588&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

"We are doing everything we can to keep our core group together. Sometimes in doing so, you have difficult decisions to make," Suns general manager Steve Kerr (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=177) said in a statement.

"We feel good going forward having our core group of players under contract for several years, including the recent addition of free-agent Grant Hill (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=2626). The bottom line is there are tough decisions to make, but we have flexibility and our core together. We really like the group of players we've assembled and feel we can make a legitimate run for an NBA championship next season."

SoupIsGood
07-20-2007, 02:37 PM
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3343/newsunssp3.jpg

diamonddave00
07-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Darn too bad we didn't have 8 mil in cap space. Even though they are low #1's still have a value and Thomas is servicable for a year.

Young
07-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Wow.

A god awful move for them.

They should have recgonized last summer that they would be in this position when they signed Marcus Banks.

What really makes this deal so awful is that they have traded away their 1rst round picks for the past two years atleast for pretty much nothing but cash I believe.

DisplacedKnick
07-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Thomas goes to the Seattle SuperSonics, along with the Suns' own 2008 and 2010 first-round draft picks in exchange for a future conditional 2nd round pick and a trade exception, worth about $8 million.

They left out the closing paragraph in this article which reads:

Seattle owners and management immediately hired a voodoo practitioner to initiate an accident to the Suns' team bus in which Amare Stoudamire, Steve Nash and Shawn Marion would be injured and out for the season.

JayRedd
07-20-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm nearly positive Phoenix would have rather done this deal with Orlando instead, considering they're in the East and the Suns can't be to enthused about allowing a team that has Kevin Durant to have FIVE first-rounders in the next three drafts.

Too bad the Magic failed to convince the Grizz to do a sign-and-trade for Darko, which would have given them a $7 million trade exception. Between that **** up and overpaying for Rashard by $50 million, we may have found a guy that can challenge Kevin McHale's "Worst GM in the League" dynasty.

Robobtowncolt
07-20-2007, 02:47 PM
Eh, Pheonix gets Atlanta's pick next year (which will more than likely be in the lottery.) So they're really only giving up a 2010 1st rounder to save about 16 million dollars. Not a bad move.

Young
07-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Eh, Pheonix gets Atlanta's pick next year (which will more than likely be in the lottery.) So they're really only giving up a 2010 1st rounder to save about 16 million dollars. Not a bad move.

- When you lose your pick you lose your pick. All they gained from this deal was a second rounder. That's awful when you trade away a good big. Maybe I can see this move if you are dealing Marcus Banks, but Kurt Thomas? No way.
- In 2010 the Suns could very well be awful. It all depends on Steve Nash and how long he can last.

Purple & Gold
07-20-2007, 02:54 PM
:laugh: :laugh:

Robobtowncolt
07-20-2007, 02:58 PM
- When you lose your pick you lose your pick. All they gained from this deal was a second rounder. That's awful when you trade away a good big. Maybe I can see this move if you are dealing Marcus Banks, but Kurt Thomas? No way.

They have a lottery pick next year, and they're obviously not going to pay two first rounders. They've clearly shown that. And ownership told Steve Kerr to cut salary or else, so he did all he could do.

When did they trade a good big? Did I miss an Amare deal?

- In 2010 the Suns could very well be awful. It all depends on Steve Nash and how long he can last.

They could also be the two time defending champs. And if they are awful, and decide to rebuild, they have assets to do so without a 1st rounder 3 years from now.

People really need to start getting just how important this luxury tax is to the NBA owners. Important enough that teams have to give up more than little bit to just get under it. Important enough that it's killed pretty much every potential deal for about two years now. Fortunately for the Suns, they have that Hawks pick to mitigate this significantly. 16+ million dollars to have to potentially sit out the first round of the 2010 draft is not a bad tradeoff since owners don't get to operate in financial fantasy land like all of us fans do.

JayRedd
07-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Forgot they had ATL's pick next year.

Fine move by Kerr then. For Phoenix, it's all about right now. 2010 is too far off to care about for them. It's a little easier to not care about future picks when you have Amare and Leandro around as well.

diamonddave00
07-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Heck I might have taken Marcus Banks off their hands with our 4 mil trade exception if thet'd have thrown in the 2008 # 1.

Robobtowncolt
07-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Heck I might have taken Marcus Banks off their hands with our 4 mil trade exception if thet'd have thrown in the 2008 # 1.

Of course, then we'd be paying about 8 million for Banks next year. And that would buy us an end of the first round pick. Doesn't seem all that likely management would have had an interest in that.

diamonddave00
07-20-2007, 03:27 PM
Depends if we make any other moves depending on how much Travis Diener gets the Pacers are currently 2.8 mil under the luxury threshhold including Deiner at around $ 770,000 next year. Banks makes 3.88 so yeah a mil in luxury tax . Catchy part is Banks has multiple years on his deal.

As of now the Pacers have the 2.8 wiggle room against the luxury tax remember Orien Greene is listed but he was waived so his contract did not become guaranteed. I'm figuring Diener got 1.5-1.75 range total for 1st 2 years and prob 1mil 3rd year player option. A 3year 2.75 mil total deal.

Jim R
07-20-2007, 03:52 PM
You would think the Suns would have learned from Orlando's mistake. Orlando gave the Clippers a 1st round pick to take Maggette off their hands so they could free up enough to sign McGrady AND Grant Hill.

We all know how that worked out.

blanket
07-20-2007, 03:54 PM
Wonder if Mullin tried to get the same deal from them since he's got nearly a 10M TE from the JRich trade. Of course, it makes sense that PHX would rather trade with a rebuilding team than a playoff rival.

avoidingtheclowns
07-20-2007, 03:58 PM
Wow.

A god awful move for them.

They should have recgonized last summer that they would be in this position when they signed Marcus Banks.

What really makes this deal so awful is that they have traded away their 1rst round picks for the past two years atleast for pretty much nothing but cash I believe.

its not like thomas = ratliff... the suns needed thomas against the spurs and dallas. this leaves their front line fairly thin... but strategically i have no problem with it. you can't lay the banks signing on kerr... he's trying to fix the mess and this isn't a terrible move... yet

CableKC
07-20-2007, 04:42 PM
Geez.....we really have to get ourselves one of those trade exceptions....they seem to come in handy.

We still have our 4mil trade exception? Are going to do anything with that?

When's the expiration date on that?

naptown
07-20-2007, 04:50 PM
I would love to see the reaction of this board if we would have traded, lets say Foster, and 2 first rounders for a second rounder. OMG it would be classic. Bird and Walsh would be hung.

Kegboy
07-20-2007, 05:00 PM
I would love to see the reaction of this board if we would have traded, lets say Foster, and 2 first rounders for a second rounder. OMG it would be classic. Bird and Walsh would be hung.

The board would explode from everyone PFFL'ing.

DisplacedKnick
07-20-2007, 05:01 PM

Not if the team had won 55-60 games each of the last 4 seasons.

Unclebuck
07-20-2007, 05:05 PM
It wouldn't bother me if we traded Tinsley and the Suns 2 first round picks (not ours because ours will be much better picks than the Suns, but the 28th pick in the draft is not very valuable) for a future second round pick. I'd be happy in fact. Of course we don't have the Suns first rounders,

diamonddave00
07-20-2007, 05:05 PM
It expirers one year from the date of the trade that created it.

Kegboy
07-20-2007, 05:09 PM
IOW, in January. But you know the team's not gonna use it, because it'd put us over the tax.

DisplacedKnick
07-20-2007, 05:11 PM
It wouldn't bother me if we traded Tinsley and the Suns 2 first round picks (not ours because ours will be much better picks than the Suns, but the 28th pick in the draft is not very valuable) for a future second round pick. I'd be happy in fact. Of course we don't have the Suns first rounders,

It said it was a conditional 2nd rounder which makes me wonder but for the next couple of years the Suns' 1st for Seattle's 2nd means trading 28-30 for 32-34.

They had to do something to stay under the tax. IIRC, Amare's extension kicks in this year.

Trader Joe
07-20-2007, 05:27 PM
PHX better win a ship in two years or they are going to be in big trouble.

rexnom
07-20-2007, 07:24 PM
It said it was a conditional 2nd rounder which makes me wonder but for the next couple of years the Suns' 1st for Seattle's 2nd means trading 28-30 for 32-34.

They had to do something to stay under the tax. IIRC, Amare's extension kicks in this year.
Exactly. So basically the Seattle 2nd rounder is almost as good as the Phoenix 1st rounder. Except, it's not guaranteed, which works out perfectly for Phoenix. So take that out and you have one first rounder and thomas for cap relief. Then again, consider that it's not like they don't have a pick in '08. In fact, they'll have a pick better than their own. Also, this allows them to keep together Barbosa, Diaw, Stoudamire, and Marion (along with Nash) of course. Add some Bell, some Hill, and some other role players that will be good because they are playing with Steve Nash and you have another contender!

Not a bad move. Better than sending Marion out for 75 cents on the dollar simply because of money reasons.

blanket
07-20-2007, 08:02 PM
So PHX also gets an $8M TE from this right? Wonder if they'll use that as part of a trade for KG... (and before you say anything, I know it can't be combined with players - it would have to be a side trade, e.g. to take Jaric's contract off Minny's payroll).

Mr.ThunderMakeR
07-20-2007, 08:15 PM
Good move by Phoenix I think. Its pretty clear they are absolutely focused on winning now instead of wandering around aimlessly like some teams. Trying to mix winning now with building for the future at the same just plain doesnt work. See the Pacers last few seasons (and next season) for proof of this.

diamonddave00
07-20-2007, 09:05 PM
No the Suns did not get a trade exception in the deal. The trade exception was the Sonics it has a one time use and is not transferrable. The trade is complete Sonics get Thomas and 2 # 1's the Suns get a # 2 and Thomas removed from their cap.

A trade exception ceased to exist once it has been used.

Hicks
07-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Ah right, the Rashard Lewis TE.

Kegboy
07-20-2007, 10:24 PM
I don't see how anyone can argue this is a good move for Phoenix. Regardless of the draft picks, they gave up a valuable player for nothing. And when you look at playing San Antonio, Kurt goes from valuable to invaluable, considering the rest of their roster. Their ownership showed they care more about the bottom line than winning a championship, and if I were a Suns fan, I'd be supremely ****ed.

I wouldn't care if they saved $16M. A championship is worth more than that.

Purple & Gold
07-20-2007, 10:26 PM
This is a great move for the Lakers and the rest of the Western Conference.

Kegboy
07-20-2007, 10:31 PM
This is a great move for the Lakers and the rest of the Western Conference.

No doubt, unless Phoenix tanks and those 1st rounders turn Seattle into a dynasty. But that's probably a reach.

rexnom
07-20-2007, 11:05 PM
I don't see how anyone can argue this is a good move for Phoenix. Regardless of the draft picks, they gave up a valuable player for nothing. And when you look at playing San Antonio, Kurt goes from valuable to invaluable, considering the rest of their roster. Their ownership showed they care more about the bottom line than winning a championship, and if I were a Suns fan, I'd be supremely ****ed.

I wouldn't care if they saved $16M. A championship is worth more than that.
Invaluable? Really? Let's look at their series with the Spurs...

Game One: SA win
Kurt Thomas plays 13 mins and ends up with 4pts. Tim Duncan has 33pts and 16 rebounds.

Game Two: Phoenix win
Kurt Thomas inserted into starting lineup and gets 28 mins and 12pts. Tim Duncan has 29pts and 11rebs. Rexnom wonders if Shawn Marion couldn't have scored more than six points (which he did) if he had received Thomas's passes and covered Duncan better than 29pts and 11 rebs. Hmm. Perhaps. If not Marion then what about Diaw or Stoudemire? They could have scored in those opportunities like Thomas did, I'm sure. Because obviously, Thomas is not playing for his defense...Tim Duncan is averaging 31pts and 13.5rebs at this point.

Game Three: SA win
Kurt Thomas gets even more minutes (36) but produces less points (8). Tim Duncan produces more points (33) and more rebounds (19). Shouldn't Phoenix put in another scorer to get Thomas's minutes and touches since they obviously can't stop Tim Duncan? Just wondering.

Game Four: Phoenix win
Kurt Thomas puts in a solid 26 minutes that give 14pts. Duncan is "contained" to 21pts and 11rebs but I'm wondering if this doesn't have more to do with Phoenix's improved team defense since Parker shoots below 50% in this game and Ginobili throws up a 3-14 while Duncan is the only Spur to shoot very well (9-14)

Game Five: SA win
Without Diaw and Stoudemire (the other two Phoenix true bigs in the rotation), Thomas "holds" Duncan to 22 and 12 in 26 minutes while shooting 5-13 and giving 15pts. I'm not going to argue that Thomas isn't useful in these situations.

Game Six: SA win
Thomas plays 17 mins (2-6, 5pts) and holds Duncan to 24 and 13. Stoudemire pours in 38pts and demonstrates once again the only way to beat SA: outscore them because no one (not even Kurt Thomas) is stopping Tim Duncan any time soon...if only he had more offensive help and not a pseudo-stopper taking up minutes...

Overall, I'm not saying that Kurt Thomas is a bad player just that he is an overrated defender (but good bruiser) and definitely not invaluable. In fact, the things that he did could easily be replaced by someone else next year.

Purple & Gold
07-20-2007, 11:06 PM
No doubt, unless Phoenix tanks and those 1st rounders turn Seattle into a dynasty. But that's probably a reach.

Don't say that. :mad:

They already got Durant and Green. With next years lottery plus those first rounders from Phoenix they can be very dangerous. And I don't even want to think about Portland.

btowncolt
07-20-2007, 11:11 PM
I don't see how anyone can argue that this isn't a completely necessary move for Phoenix.

They weren't going to pay luxury tax. They had the choice of trading Shawn Marion to not pay it, or trading Kurt Thomas to not pay it. By saying this there's no possible way this can be a necessary (and accordingly "good" move for Phoenix as they were in the position of having to give up either Thomas or Marion), you're saying Kurt Thomas is a more useful player than Shawn Marion to the Suns. And as rexnom detailed above, the legend of Kurt Thomas on this forum lives up there with Jamison Brewer.

Pretty easy to replace what Kurt gave them at a much, much lower price. We just have to assume that Kerr did a little bit of work surveying the market and saw this was the only way to pawn Thomas off onto someone without taking salary back.

If Boris Diaw shows up in some semblance of shape this year, and Grant Hill is the same player he was the last two years, they can be a better basketball team after this move. And that's all that matters. Heck, even if neither of those things happen, if they find a tall guy who can stand still with his arms up, they can still be a better team. And that's all that matters to fans.

Kegboy
07-20-2007, 11:27 PM
Btown, I'm not arguing that they should have kept Thomas over Marion. I'm rejecting that they "won't pay the luxury tax". I'm fine with the Simons saying that when we're obviously not going anywhere. If we were a legit title contender, that'd be another story.

As for rexnom's argument, that's like looking at Shaq's numbers in the 2000 finals, and saying "Dale Davis is worthless against Shaq, he might as well have not even been there." In actuality, if we didn't have a defender of Dale's caliber, we would have had to double and triple team Shaq. In turn, Kobe, et al, would have had their way and we would have gotten beaten by 20 a night.

Kurt's ability to defend Duncan on his own allowed Phoenix to play much better team defense. In fact, I did a quick google, and Wojnarowski backs me up:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-suns050807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

They could live with Tim Duncan getting his 29 points, especially when Kurt Thomas (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3012/;_ylt=AmhSQJOQzs_ncTX225.PDS_TjdIF) would hold him to two points in the fourth quarter. Thomas moved into the starting lineup to guard Duncan, and ultimately, his nastiness, his edge and his strength to defend Duncan in the playoffs was the reason he was brought here. The Suns didn't come with the double teams on Duncan, just spared Stoudemire the responsibility, freeing him to roam a little on defense, and left Thomas to defend Duncan alone. "Tim is so well-respected, it keeps me out of foul trouble," Stoudemire said.

So there. :-p

rexnom
07-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Btown, I'm not arguing that they should have kept Thomas over Marion. I'm rejecting that they "won't pay the luxury tax". I'm fine with the Simons saying that when we're obviously not going anywhere. If we were a legit title contender, that'd be another story.

As for rexnom's argument, that's like looking at Shaq's numbers in the 2000 finals, and saying "Dale Davis is worthless against Shaq, he might as well have not even been there." In actuality, if we didn't have a defender of Dale's caliber, we would have had to double and triple team Shaq. In turn, Kobe, et al, would have had their way and we would have gotten beaten by 20 a night.

Kurt's ability to defend Duncan on his own allowed Phoenix to play much better team defense. In fact, I did a quick google, and Wojnarowski backs me up:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-suns050807&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

So there. :-p
This is an interesting counter-argument. I'm simply stating, however, that the Suns should stick to their game and try to outscore their opponent...something we should never have tried with the Lakers. As for the 4th quarter, TD does what he needs to do. Usually he defers to Parker in general and Ginobili in the 4th in particular. The Spurs have so many streaky players that it is essential that Duncan starts off hot (so that the team does). Later, it does not matter how Duncan does (although he won't shy away from carrying his team in the 4th if necessary).

Also, if you look at the 2005 series (with Q-Rich instead of Thomas), Duncan did about the same type of damage (arguably less) while Stoudemire had a much stronger series.

btowncolt
07-20-2007, 11:35 PM
Well, I'm not quite sure what you're rejecting then. The owners have made it pretty clear through draft pick selling and now this that they're aren't going to pay 10+ million in luxury tax, which they were lined up to do.

I guess what it boils down to is this: Is paying Kurt Thomas basically 17 million dollars going to be so important that if they traded him and signed another guy for 3 million to do basically the same thing (if they have more moves in mind, no idea there, though I think if they don't they're still better than last year), they'll be worse off? I think it's pretty safe to say no.

And it really had boiled down to one or the other in Phoenix-land with their financial situation.

Even by your argument that they should just suck it up and pay Thomas (which is what I think you're saying), I find it hard to believe that they couldn't replace what he brought for a fraction of the price.

Kegboy
07-20-2007, 11:41 PM
Rex, I see where you're coming from. You can certainly make the argument that Phoenix should defend SA differently. But, as Amare says above, keeping him out of foul trouble is very important to Phoenix.

Btown, I know you think Kurt's overrated (yeah, I saw that you fink), but even if you do believe they can go get a good big man defender for $3M (no way in this market), but they're still a couple mil over the tax. They're signing min guys from here on out.

btowncolt
07-20-2007, 11:44 PM
But my point is, even if this is their final move, they're a better team next year than they were this year. Mostly because they kept Shawn Marion instead of Thomas and didn't blow the whole thing up (Plan B if they couldn't dump Thomas.)

They can beat anyone in the league in a series pretty easily other than the Spurs. And give them a non-suspended and fully recovered Amare and Grant Hill playing 30 mpg, and they can outscore the Spurs just often enough to have a good chance to take a series.

Naptown_Seth
07-21-2007, 11:23 AM
Exactly. And it won't even be a really high first round pick, more like a 50/50 chance to even make the roster for more than 3 years.

Kurt was a good fit for them, but they did bring in Hill. Obviously an injury would hurt them, but give me a team that can comfortably lose one of their top 3 guys.

Naptown_Seth
07-21-2007, 11:31 AM
No the Suns did not get a trade exception in the deal. The trade exception was the Sonics it has a one time use and is not transferrable. The trade is complete Sonics get Thomas and 2 # 1's the Suns get a # 2 and Thomas removed from their cap.

A trade exception ceased to exist once it has been used.
They don't get the TE space Seattle was using, however if you trade a player and don't take salary back then you do create your own TE space if you are over the cap. At least this is how I've always understood it.

PHX has the right to replace Kurt's salary hole at 100% value within the next year. This isn't Seattle's TE because Seattle used it to absorb the active contract of KT. But PHX didn't give up their own trade exception rights in this deal, the right to EITHER take 125% (plus 100K) of his salary back OR to give up that 25% extra in exchange for having a year to fill up the 100% hole. The "exception" here is that they can't take on salary while they are over the cap, EXCEPT to replace the salary they traded away. The 125% version is just 1 part of what a TE can be.

The issue is that PHX doesn't want to fill that hole because they are trying to reduce salary.

A TE dies totally when it expires OR when it is used to take salary from a team UNDER THE CAP (aka, Atlanta/Pacers deal). There is no such thing as an exception of any sort for a team under the cap. The whole point of an exception is that it is an exception to the rule that you can't be over the cap. If you are under then there are no limits that you would need an exception for.

Of course being "under the cap" is tricky because you must count cap holds like your non-released (R)FAs and even the MLE and MIN-E slots. Only if all of those add up to less than the cap are you technically under the cap. You have to say to the league "I give up the rights to spend that money" for it to come off the books and put you at under the cap status. In other words you could be "under" but still have the MLE to spend, because doing so puts you over the cap and gives you the rights to it.

Again, this is my understanding of it, I'm always open to corrections cited from the FAQ.

Shade
07-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Wow, that's just silly.

Unless Phoenix wins the title in the next year or two. Then it's brilliant. ;)

DisplacedKnick
07-21-2007, 01:57 PM

So you were against the Simons 4 years ago when they said they wouldn't go above the LT and DW made the Brad Miller trade to keep that from happening?

Los Angeles
07-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Wow, that's just silly.

Unless Phoenix wins the title in the next year or two. Then it's brilliant. ;)

:ding:

Fool
07-21-2007, 04:37 PM
They don't get the TE space Seattle was using, however if you trade a player and don't take salary back then you do create your own TE space if you are over the cap. At least this is how I've always understood it.

This is correct. TEs don't get traded, they get used (as Diamond Dave said) but new ones get made (with new expiration dates as well, btw) for the new trade.

Kegboy
07-21-2007, 05:41 PM
So you were against the Simons 4 years ago when they said they wouldn't go above the LT and DW made the Brad Miller trade to keep that from happening?

No, I was against paying Brad on the basis of it being an absurd contract, which Sacramento is now learning. Kurt's only got a year left, big woop.

Slick Pinkham
07-21-2007, 07:19 PM
How would we like it if our team had this recent history:

Trade: 7th pick Luol Deng to Chicago for 32nd pick Jackson Vroman and future 1st round pick.

Reason - The traded the pick away even before the draft started thinking their man Andre Igoudala would not be on the board when they would select. Suns later found he was available and even dropped to 9th and picked by Philadelphia 76ers.

Trade: 21st pick Nate Robinson (via Chicago) and Quentin Robinson to the Knicks for Kurt Thomas and rights to 54th pick Dijon Thompson.

Reason - They found out the hard way that Quentin Richardson was an overpaid outside shooter with no other dimension to his game so they had to package him with a pick to rid of his large contract. Also Suns needed someone beside Amare who can play Center position.

Trade: 30th pick Sergio Rodriguez to Portland for cash considerations.

Reason: Classic salary slash.

Trade: 24th pick Rudy Fernandez to Portland for cash.

Reason: $$$

Trade: Kurt Thomas, 2008 and 2010 first round picks to Seattle for $8 million trade exception.

Reason: $$$

Now lets recap this after a bizillion moves the Suns are left with.

Incoming:
1) Jackson Vroman
2) Dijon Thompson
3) $10 million. (Cash from both Portland trades and Seattle deal)
4) Kurt Thomas trade 1

Outgoing:
1) Andre Igoudala OR Luol Deng. (pick one whichever way)
2) Quentin Richardson
3) Nate Robinson
4) Sergio Rodriguez
5) Rudy Fernandez
6) Kurt Thomas trade 2
7) 2008 first round pick
8) 2010 first round pick

Conclusion: WOW Phoenix has just set the benchmark for the single longest sequences of lob-sided deals ever made.

Quite a good bench and even a core player (Deng or Iggy) traded away for nothing. I guess it allows them to keep Marion, but all those draft picks would be cheap contracts and may have prevented them from blowing money on Marcus Banks.

rexnom
07-21-2007, 07:38 PM
Did anyone stop to think that they made this deal so that they can afford to keep their atlanta pick next year (which should command a good salary) and not trade it away. Trading away the Luol Deng pick is the only unforgivable one IMO.

Kegboy
07-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Did anyone stop to think that they made this deal so that they can afford to keep their atlanta pick next year (which should command a good salary) and not trade it away. Trading away the Luol Deng pick is the only unforgivable one IMO.

Why would they have to do that when Kurt's salary is expiring? Plus, they could always use their own picks on Euro's and not bring them over. That's what Portland has done with both picks they bought off them.

rexnom
07-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Why would they have to do that when Kurt's salary is expiring? Plus, they could always use their own picks on Euro's and not bring them over. That's what Portland has done with both picks they bought off them.
Would the luxury tax be calculated before or after the contract expired?

JayRedd
07-23-2007, 05:13 PM
Someone put this up as a joke, and eBay obviously took it down after it found out. But luckilly, someone got the screenshot. (via TrueHoop)

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-26-81/Monday-Bullets.html

http://i15.tinypic.com/6fynehw.jpg

wintermute
07-24-2007, 02:16 AM
:laugh: :applaud: