PDA

View Full Version : Team USA : 17 players 12 spots

skyfire
07-20-2007, 03:11 AM
link (http://www.nba.com/features/usabasketball_minicamp_primer_071807.html)

When training camp opens up in Las Vegas on Friday, Team USA officially enters into year number two in the three-year plan that Managing Director of the U.S. Men's Senior National team, Jerry Colangelo, laid out in the spring of 2006.

The goal for the United States is to return to the gold-medal form of the 2000 Olympics in Sydney. Since Y2K, the medals on the basketball shelf of America's trophy case have either darkened -- as in the bronze the U.S. earned in the 2004 Olympics followed by another bronze at the FIBA World Championship of Basketball (WCOB) last summer -- or disappeared all together -- as in the sixth-place, medal-less performace at the 2002 Basketball World Championship.

Seems like a pretty good squad, somewhat light on up front given that there are only 4 recognised PF/Cs in the entire squad, but Bosh, Stoudamire, Howard and Chandler all give you something different and LeBron and Battier can help out at PF.

I'd go with :

PG : Billups/Williams/Kidd
SG : Kobe/Redd
SF : Anthony/LeBron/Battier
PF : Stoudemire/Bosh
C : Howard/Chandler

Cuts (in order of last to first) : Miller/Prince/Durant/Heinrich/Reddick

croz24
07-20-2007, 03:23 AM
is oden not involved with the team anymore? i'd much rather have him out there than chandler...

Y2J
07-20-2007, 03:25 AM
Miller, Prince, and Reddick have no business being on the team in the first place. Hinrich isn't good enough, there are many better options including 3 already on the team. I'd leave Durant and take off Carmelo Anthony. He's a self-centered ball hog who doesn't seem to know what defense is. Durant is not only a better player, but reportedly a better human being as well.

Since86
07-20-2007, 03:27 AM
is oden not involved with the team anymore? i'd much rather have him out there than chandler...

Yes, he is still involved. He will be in Terre Haute this weekend for a memorial golf tourney for Travis Smith, then he will be flying to Las Vegas to start training.

dohman
07-20-2007, 04:44 AM
I actually dont know if I would rather have redd or reddick out there for my backup SG. Seems to me like the team has plenty of scoring. We really need to spread the floor and reddick can do that with his lights out 3. If we used him only at the 3 point line when kobe wasnt in the game I think he would do good.

I am not a fan of melo out there as well, Not sure if he can get away from the me ball to play team ball to actually make this team win.

Is chandler really the best we have for a backup center?

The Hustler
07-20-2007, 05:18 AM
I think its amazing that the team USA now has 32 people (raised from 24) who may be selected, but only 17 are fit! ... i couldnt believe it when i read it!

To add to that, of the 17 available, the only PFs & Cs are Bosh, Chandler, Howard and Stoudemire! ... so there really is no choice in that front court outside the SF position!

Will be interesting to see if they take Durant, i personally would, even though there is a backlog at SF behind LBJ and Melo, i think it would be worth giving him the 12th spot on the roster, to get him involved and look towards the future.

Still, even with all the injuries, its hard to see how any other country in the world could put out a team even half as good on paper!

carpediem024
07-20-2007, 07:35 AM
We really need to spread the floor and reddick can do that with his lights out 3.

Have you ever seen Redd shoot?

rexnom
07-20-2007, 08:33 AM
Miller, Prince, and Reddick have no business being on the team in the first place. Hinrich isn't good enough, there are many better options including 3 already on the team. I'd leave Durant and take off Carmelo Anthony. He's a self-centered ball hog who doesn't seem to know what defense is. Durant is not only a better player, but reportedly a better human being as well.
Um...remember when Melo was the best player in the world championships? Tearing through any and all defenses that other teams put up against him? I'm pretty sure Melo is one of the safe bets not to get cut.

avoidingtheclowns
07-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Have you ever seen Redd shoot?

thats what i was thinking.

EDIT: i'm also really surprised by the chandler invite. i suppose it makes sense from a defensive standpoint.

Pacersin2033
07-20-2007, 10:56 AM
I love how they talked about how they needed more guys like bruce bowen for like 2 months, until they cut Bruce Bowen. The problem with USA basketball is in the leadership until that is fixed we are not going to win much of anything.

JayRedd
07-20-2007, 12:07 PM
Really sucks that Gilbert's not ready to attend.

I was really hoping for him going to camp, getting sent home and then ripping off some more amazing quotes about beating Duke by himself, and generally just making this season The Takeover Part II.

Robertmto
07-20-2007, 05:24 PM
Really sucks that Gilbert's not ready to attend.

I was really hoping for him going to camp, getting sent home and then ripping off some more amazing quotes about beating Duke by himself, and generally just making this season The Takeover Part II.

according to him, he IS trying to go to camp.

JayRedd
07-20-2007, 05:33 PM
according to him, he IS trying to go to camp.

http://www.dollardays.com/images/p40/image2/hibachigrill.jpg

denyfizle
07-20-2007, 06:23 PM

I like Prince. I'd rather have him there than Battier.