PDA

View Full Version : Why did we let Rawle Marshall go?

Ragnar
07-19-2007, 10:47 AM
In the ask the Pacers Bird said we let him go. WTF

Its getting to the point that I hate Bird.

Oneal07
07-19-2007, 10:56 AM
To have more money to spend?

RWB
07-19-2007, 10:56 AM

I suspect Owens has shown a better all around skill than Rawle and comes at a cheaper price.

Haggard
07-19-2007, 10:57 AM
It's only Rawle Marshall

Naptown_Seth
07-19-2007, 11:01 AM
The weakest point of his game is his jumper. The strongest part of his game was transition running. Not hard to figure out why they had interest last year and none this year.

ChicagoJ
07-19-2007, 11:34 AM
Because after the season opener, he just wasn't very good. At all.

QuickRelease
07-19-2007, 11:39 AM

A bit harsh over Rawle Marshall isn't it? He's an OK guard, but hardly anything worth :cry: about.

NuffSaid
07-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Well, look at his stats (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/rawle_marshall/career_stats.html). He didn't really bring much to the table. Then again, he wasn't given much playing time either, but that could have been the result of what little skills he had. Then again, it could have been that what he offerred was found in another player on the roster.

Regardless, he didn't contribute much that IMO warranted retaining him. His contract was only for 1 yr anyway. You had to know the Pacers would release him (and Powell if they hadn't packaged him in the GS trade) at season's end.

Speed
07-19-2007, 12:17 PM
did he play summer league ball, if so, do we know how he did? And he is only- Rawle Marshall, but he cost the Pacers 3 second round picks, indirectly, so it would have been nice to see him pan out.

JayRedd
07-19-2007, 12:22 PM
did he play summer league ball, if so, do we know how he did? And he is only- Rawle Marshall, but he cost the Pacers 3 second round picks, indirectly, so it would have been nice to see him pan out.

James White isn't any good either if it makes you feel better.

diamonddave00
07-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Spurs may cut James White according to a couple internet sites , Alexander Johnson was cut by the Grizzlies appears not a lot of anything helpful has come out of that trade for anyone so far.

No , Rawle Marshall did not play for the Pacers in the summer league , Orien Greene did play for the Heat though.

aero
07-19-2007, 12:30 PM
if the Spurs cut james white then the pacers should sign him ;)

BobbyMac
07-19-2007, 12:56 PM
if the Spurs cut james white then the pacers should sign him ;)

Why? He failed here, he failed at SA....the vast majority of 2nd round picks never make the NBA!

Speed
07-19-2007, 01:03 PM
No , Rawle Marshall did not play for the Pacers in the summer league , Orien Greene did play for the Heat though.

Oh, I know he didn't play for the Pacers, I mean did he play for anyone, in any of the leagues.

Evan_The_Dude
07-19-2007, 01:08 PM
I thought he had some potential. I liked is aggressiveness

Shade
07-19-2007, 01:12 PM
The real question here is, why wasn't Rawle included in the GS deal rather than Josh Powell?

Unclebuck
07-19-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm a little surprised the pacers let him go.

Trader Joe
07-19-2007, 01:48 PM
The real question here is, why wasn't Rawle included in the GS deal rather than Josh Powell?

:bird:

Unclebuck
07-19-2007, 01:57 PM

GS didn't want him

blanket
07-19-2007, 02:18 PM
Spurs may cut James White according to a couple internet sites , Alexander Johnson was cut by the Grizzlies appears not a lot of anything helpful has come out of that trade for anyone so far.

except the TBlazers got a bunch of 2nd round picks :grumble:

idioteque
07-19-2007, 03:04 PM

Alexander Johnson was cut?! I have a hard time figuring out why exactly that happened, for a rookie PF he had alright numbers. I'd seriously take a look at him filling Baston's role.

Kegboy
07-19-2007, 03:10 PM
Alexander Johnson was cut?! I have a hard time figuring out why exactly that happened, for a rookie PF he had alright numbers. I'd seriously take a look at him filling Baston's role.

I figured they decided he wasn't a good fit for Iavaroni's run-and-gun. I doubt he'd be a good fit under Jimmy, either, but there's definitely a place for him in this league.

Hicks
07-19-2007, 03:50 PM
GS didn't want him

Bingo.

And Rush is better than Rawle, so it's moot.

imawhat
07-19-2007, 04:54 PM
No brainer, imo. Was given quality time and didn't shine in any area. And his "team" offense/defense was non-existent.

Unclebuck
07-26-2007, 07:16 AM
And now we know

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=32749

Mourning
07-26-2007, 11:11 AM
:ding:

Good move Larry! (Hey, if he gets all the blame he deserves all the credit aswell.. and I actually mean that)

Hicks
07-26-2007, 11:28 AM

Good move Larry! (Hey if he gets all the blame he deserves all the credit it aswell.. and I actually mean that)

You know, that's a good point so I'll show my support. :)

Screw saying "oh it wasn't hard to do." The point is he DID do it.

ajbry
07-26-2007, 11:32 AM
I still believe the decision was mainly because Rawle ain't a good player and it honestly doesn't matter if he's on the team or not. His crime certainly doesn't help, but it's Rawle Freaking Marshall. Of course he was going to be released sooner than later.

Unclebuck
07-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Good point - Good job Larry

Will Galen
07-26-2007, 01:18 PM
I think the last three years under Donnie and with all that's happened have been a learning experience for Bird.

I started coming around on him when he picked up Travis Diener. I liked that pickup cause Diener is scrappy and a shooter, and doesn't have an attitude. Exactly the kind of player I like!

Cutting Marshall was another good move!

ChicagoJ
07-26-2007, 02:23 PM

Good move Larry! (Hey, if he gets all the blame he deserves all the credit aswell.. and I actually mean that)

Fair point.

"Better Late than Never" - playing this season at Conseco Fieldhouse.

"No more tenth-chances" is the new mission statement for PS&E.

JayRedd
07-26-2007, 02:50 PM
You know it's bad when the only time your front office gets a standing ovation for making a good move is when they waive an unproven 12th man who got arrested.

Good move not trading for Eddie Griffin, too, guys. Real crackerjack job you're doing over there.

Unclebuck
07-26-2007, 03:00 PM
You know it's bad when the only time your front office gets a standing ovation for making a good move is when they waive an unproven 12th man who got arrested.

Good move not trading for Eddie Griffin, too, guys. Real crackerjack job you're doing over there.

LOL

We haven't picked up a 45 year old strung out Roy Tarpley either - things are looking up indeed

Naptown_Seth
07-26-2007, 03:28 PM
You know, that's a good point so I'll show my support. :)

Screw saying "oh it wasn't hard to do." The point is he DID do it.
Hey, I woke up this morning. Sure it was easy, but the point is I DID do it. I could have blown the whole thing and died in my sleep, how about a little credit here for my effort to once again not die. ;)

Look we all figured cutting him made sense anyway. Bird hasn't had a problem making moves with guys in trouble lately. Isn't that why he did the GS deal, that fans were grumbling about Jackson.

Heck, they cut Snap last year, is this any different?

Get back to me when Foster is cut for his restroom antics with Croshere. Forget that, let me know about Bird cutting Jackson 1 week into the season even.

What kind of moron would stick behind a guy borderline to even make the team if he has any level of attitude or legal issues? Especially considering the Pacers circumstances. This is a cut a TurboTax could have made without any human input at all. ;)

Since86
07-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Bird could cure AIDS, and I believe that some people would critcize him for not curing obesity.

Bird wanted to get rid of Artest long before he was able to, and I'm 100% sold that he wanted to get rid of Jackson right along with him. He's been given the free reigns to deal with players, and now you're down playing the situation saying it was a no-brainer?

I, for one, am happily looking forward to the Pacers under his command. I've been saying it for quite a while now, and I'll say it again. I would much rather watch a bad team play with players I liked, and respected, than watch a bunch of gun toting/bar fighting retards who constantly give the organization, and the city for that matter, blackeyes.

Good riddance Ron.
Good riddance Stephen.
Good riddance Rawle.

madison
07-26-2007, 09:08 PM
Why did we let him go? Simple. He wasn't very good. Duh! What's the matter with the people on this board who see a guy score a basket and think he's a talent. In fact, I think every post on this board should start with how many games people attended the previous season. That way we'd know if the comment had any merit whatsoever.

denyfizle
07-26-2007, 11:46 PM
Because he got High.

RamBo_Lamar
07-27-2007, 01:59 AM
LOL

We haven't picked up a 45 year old strung out Roy Tarpley either - things are looking up indeed

Wow... The cynicsm around here has reached new depths. lol

Bird would have been highly negligent, and his head really on the chopping
block (more than it already is) had he not cut Marshall immediately.

What surprises me is that the local media hasn't gotten its hooks into
this story and started up with another feeding frenzy of bad publicity
like before...and honestly, thank goodness it hasn't.

Rawle, while he really wasn't bothering anyone directly it seems, did make
a couple poor decisions that are going to end up causing him grief, and
possibly cripple his future earning potential.

But if it was going to happen, it's a darned good thing it happened when
it did during the off-season, and not while the spotlight was turned up.

This is just another prime example of why the Pacers need to get players
in here who are thoughtful and stable individuals who will be sensitive to
the precarious position the Pacers are in right now...and if I were TPTB,
would be nervous about a couple players still on the roster.

JayRedd
07-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Because he got High.

:laugh:

Naptown_Seth
07-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Bird could cure AIDS, and I believe that some people would critcize him for not curing obesity.

Bird wanted to get rid of Artest long before he was able to, and I'm 100% sold that he wanted to get rid of Jackson right along with him. He's been given the free reigns to deal with players, and now you're down playing the situation saying it was a no-brainer?

I, for one, am happily looking forward to the Pacers under his command. I've been saying it for quite a while now, and I'll say it again. I would much rather watch a bad team play with players I liked, and respected, than watch a bunch of gun toting/bar fighting retards who constantly give the organization, and the city for that matter, blackeyes.

Good riddance Ron.
Good riddance Stephen.
Good riddance Rawle.
Give me a break. He took the photo with Ron, not Donnie or Rick. You have no more proof than the rest of us that the good moves are his and the bad moves aren't, but it's only wrong if we say he hasn't been doing such a great job. He WAS the guy in Europe you know, the guy JO was mad about being in Europe right in the middle of the Ron fiasco, but I'm supposed to believe $4m for Saras wasn't his idea?? The fact is that we can be almost certain that at least some of the questionable moves are tied to him. We can't be certain that any of them aren't.

Then when faced with a choice that's almost definitely a DISASTER if he doesn't do it we're supposed to applaud? I stand by my point, the Chris Rock point, you don't get credit for doing stuff you are supposed to be doing, stuff that if you don't do it is an extreme FAILURE.

Other good moves since Bird has finally been given "free reign":

2006 Pacers city/state taxes paid

Conseco restrooms cleaned regularly

Beer at the Best Locker Room is NOT poisoness

Not a single season ticket holder has been punched out by a member of the ticket sales team (crosses fingers for next few months)

ALL players under contract have now actually signed those contracts, no more "I'll take your word on it"

AT LEAST 12 sets of uniforms will be available for players to use at EVERY SINGLE GAME this year, eliminating concerns over a nude Troy Murphy sighting

Escrow account for ref payoffs is up to date and earning some good interest

v_d_g
07-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Whenever I, I'm always perlexed anew by the same old positions.

WE DON'T CARE whether THEY CAN PLAY OR NOT

THEY JUST NEED TO BE CLEAN CUT.

WTF, this is NBA. The idea is to put a COMPETITVE TEAM ON THE COURT

not to worry about what guys are doing in their free time.

JACKSON and ARTEST didn't embarrass INDIANA

BIRD and WALSH and the TEAM they put on the FLOOR DOES!!!!

You'd be surprised how many people OUTSIDE of INDIANA could give a **** about how many of INDY's players get arrested. LIke, NONE!!! Get over it. There's more to the world than small time mindsets.

This is a graceful game played by athletic players. Who gives a ****
what they do OFF THE COURT and whether they can TAKE A CHARGE OR NOT!!

I come here to read about GIVING AWAY DRAFT PICKS, trading for BABY AL, and, this year, the EXCITEMENT is about Deiner and Rush.

What a ****IN JOKE

ENJOY the GOOD GUY team.

BlueNGold
07-28-2007, 09:53 PM
ENJOY the GOOD GUY team.

The Colts? Yeh, they're a pretty good team too.

Edit: The Colts have a great group of guys, great chemistry, great leadership on the field and in the office, and they win. Similar in some ways to the Spurs...who have been winners for a very long time now. I would like to see the Pacers go that route.

The truth is, it's not about being a good guy. It's more about being a mature and selfless teammate who makes choices and sacrifices that help team chemistry. That's really what it takes to win...eh em....That's really what it takes to win.

That's exactly what the Pacers have been lacking....because it most definitely was NOT talent.

RWB
07-29-2007, 07:16 AM
You'd be surprised how many people OUTSIDE of INDIANA could give a **** about how many of INDY's players get arrested. LIke, NONE!!! Get over it. There's more to the world than small time mindsets.

And you would be very surprised how many people outside of Indiana do give a ****. Of course the business world doesn't care about such things I mean look at Michael Vick and how Reebok has supported him. :rolleyes:

Gyron
07-30-2007, 03:03 PM
Its not about how many people outside of indiana give a **** about the team because they aren't the ones who buy the tickets, merchandise, etc that supports the franchise.

The people that matter most are the fans right here in the state of Indiana that are close enough to buy tickets to games and support them team monetarily. If those fans are disgusted by the off court behavir of the fans, then they don't spend their money on the tickets, merch, etc. So the team loses money and eventually has to make a decision to move or sell.

So V_D_G, go ***** somewhere else. Competitive is one thing, but if your own fans don't like you, you're not gonna get anywhere anyways. you gotta put a product on the floor that the fans enjoy watching. And the fans here have spoken. They are tired of the off court antics. Being competitive and a good representative of your team off the court don't have to be mutally exclusive items. They should go hand and hand.

Mourning
07-30-2007, 03:08 PM

Ok, stopped taking you seriously after that.

What a ****IN JOKE

People really shouldn't be talking to themselves on Internet Forums :crazy:.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Since86
07-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Nap, debating any subject with you is a waste of time. You've never been proven wrong, and you never will.

All I can say is we have very different views.

Los Angeles
07-30-2007, 04:09 PM
Whenever I, I'm always perlexed anew by the same old positions.

WE DON'T CARE whether THEY CAN PLAY OR NOT

THEY JUST NEED TO BE CLEAN CUT.

WTF, this is NBA. The idea is to put a COMPETITVE TEAM ON THE COURT

not to worry about what guys are doing in their free time.

BIRD and WALSH and the TEAM they put on the FLOOR DOES!!!!

This is a graceful game played by athletic players. Who gives a ****
what they do OFF THE COURT and whether they can TAKE A CHARGE OR NOT!!

I come here to read about GIVING AWAY DRAFT PICKS, trading for BABY AL, and, this year, the EXCITEMENT is about Deiner and Rush.

What a ****IN JOKE

ENJOY the GOOD GUY team.

Well that was worth reading ... :rolleyes:

ChicagoJ
07-30-2007, 04:23 PM
V_D_G, where do you live?

Fans in Chicago that have started paying attention to the NBA again certainly recognize (and poke fun at) the Pacers' reputation.

"You took Artest from us" was one thing.

"What a fine group of criminals you've got" is another.

Do they care? No, I guess not. They like that WE are the league's laughingstock, not them. As long as its somebody else other than the Bulls, they don't care.

And I agree with that sentiment. Let the Kings and Warriors be the team that everybody else laughs at. I liked the Bulls a heckuva lot more when they had Artest, or the Curry-Chandler twin towers.

Haggard
07-31-2007, 09:32 AM
V_D_G does have a point.

Artest and Jax were battlers, they went out on the court and did what ever it took to try to win. When we had them on the court, we were competitive.

I have failed to see any desire or drive with the newer players on this team. To be be competitive you have to have a competitive attitude, you need to have a bit or fire in the belly. One could argue that Artest & Jax had too much. Maybe they did....

Bird and Walsh have embarrassed the team by trading away the players with the most fire. I have not seen any fight or competetive drive in any of the players we have recieved.

True, the last couple of seasons would have been tough on TPTB but it's easier to let blame lay on a couple of 'thugs' and 'criminals' for the last couple of seasons than it is to blame Larry Legend.

I'll tell you this though, I liked this team better when we had the 'thugs' and 'criminals'. The team was more tenacious, the team was competitve but more importantly the team won.

ChicagoJ
07-31-2007, 11:00 AM
:bs: They didn't do "whatever it took to win."

They did "whatever it took to make themselves look good."

For all of Ron's lockdown defense and intensity, he was rarely in a position to play help/ team defense (and then pat himself on the back while dissin' his slower-footed teammates). And clearly his one-on-five offense was not thinking "help the team win" but "help my stats/ next contract."

Not to mention his retirement announcement/ "take a month off to promote my album" stunt - I don't care which version you want to believe the so-called Tru Warrier wouldn't even step onto the court (or at other times, get onto the team plane), he was that un-committed to winning. Well, he was committed to winning fistfights with his teammates in practice, but I still fail to see the benefits of that as a Pacers fan.

SJax may not have been as sinister, but was clearly a ballhog with lousy shot selection. He may have merely been guilty of overestimating his own ability to help the team as the third/ fourth option. He knew he could be the first option on lottery team like Atlanta. He seemed far more concerned with proving to the world that he could be the second option on a winning team instead of accepting his real role as the third/ fourth option to help his team win.

I mean, I can live with a streaky shooter that is turnover prone as the third or fourth option, as long as they aren't usurping the first/ second/ third options with an atrocious shot selection at an alarming frequency. If he could've limited himself to 6-8 FGAs per game, I would have had less to complain about.

Were they intense on the court? Apparently, yes. Did they put it to good use or bad? Mostly bad.

Just because Dunleavy, for example, isn't thumping his chest, screaming at officials/ teammates does not make him less of a competitor. It just means he has better control of his emotions, which is probably a good thing. Now Murphy's resistance to mix it up in hte paint, well I didn't like that but if he'd sat out the game with the broken nose, fans would have *****ed about that too. Play hurt and tentative, get blamed for it. Sit out when your hurt, get blamed for it. So he was in an impossible situation.

So tell me how you know the "new" guys don't care about winning? Because it was clear that the "old" guys had a fire in their belly that was based on individual accomplishments, not winning, so I think your barometer of a "competitive drive" might be decieving you. This is a team game, and team skills just might be more important than acting like a tough guy.

Then again, if Tim Duncan growled and flexed a bit more often, it probably wouldn't even be a debate who the best player in the NBA is.

Gyron
07-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Good Post Jay

Knucklehead Warrior
07-31-2007, 12:45 PM
:3deadhors
Good Post Jay

98% agree. I was ignoring the reincarnated knucklehead warrior thread until Jay brought it back to reality. Thanks.

Haggard
08-01-2007, 07:32 AM
When JO was out injured, who led the team? Thats right it was Jax. Who else really stood up and took on the extra workload?? Everyone was standing around looking and waiting for something to happen. At least Jax tried to make something happen.

but for some reason we praise Anthony Johnson for one 40 performance meanwhile Jax gets booed and hissed from the crowd.

If Jax had of had '6 - 8 FGA's per game' you be complaining about his contract and what he really brings to the team.

It really has nothing to do with who flexed the most and it's funny you bring up Duncan. Sure you've seen the little cry baby faces he pulls every time he travels, or when he gets whistled for a foul, or when he thinks he was fouled. Let alone every time he gets blocked he looks at the ref and indicates that it should be goal tending.