PDA

View Full Version : College Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!

8.9_seconds
07-19-2007, 02:18 AM
Well, I think I have finally decided where I am going.....Drum Roll Please........
Columbia College in Chicago! (haha, I think). No Really I'm 95% positive it's happening, which is crazy. I've been to Chicago a few times but living there is going to be a whole different experience all together. I come from a town of 1200, which is about 99.3% white last time I looked it up. Anyway, does anybody live in Chicago or have any advice about the school? I really will have no idea what I'm doing once I'm there.

SoupIsGood
07-19-2007, 02:46 AM
Have fun! College is great.

Any idea what you wanna study?

8.9_seconds
07-19-2007, 02:48 AM
I think I want to Major in Fashion Merchandising Minor in Fine arts, or the other way around, if I can do that. Seriously, I know nothing about this.

Since86
07-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Jay lives in Chicago, PM him, and I'm sure he'll be willing to help you out.

Los Angeles
07-19-2007, 04:28 PM
I lived in Chicago for 5 years before moving to LA. I'm also very familiar with Columbia. It has a fantastic art school. Is that what you will be studying? If so, you'll want a neighborhood with an art scene going on. That is if you are finding your own place to live. Is that your plan?

If so, here's the drill. You need to live within 1/2 mile of an 'L' stop. All the L trains go downtown, and Columbia is right in the middle of the loop. You can buy a "student" L pass that gives you unlimited rides and baby, that's how you'll want to get around. Chicago's train system is outstanding by american standards. you can get almost anywhere that way. The blue line has made news for being far too overcrowded and causing extended delays during rush hour. So that may leave you looking at other trains to base your life around.

Ask someone there at Columbia if they have a message board or anything like that to find roommates, as that will definitely be the way to go to save costs. You're also likely to live in a ****ty neighborhood for the cheap rent and cheap bars.

There are two ways to find an apartment in Chicago other than just seeing a sign in a window: 1) craigslist and 2) chireader.com (chicago's independant weekly newspaper, which is like the chicago social bible. Every music show, art happening, concert, movie, and special event is listed in "The Reader"). The real estate adds are refreshed every tuesday, I believe.

Other neighborhoods I recommend for decent fun and cheaper rents: Pilsen, Logan Square/North Humboldt, Ukranian Village/Noble Square and Garfield Park.

I don't know if Columbia has student housing, but that can be a great way to meet people and find roomates to share a place with later.

Whatever you do, do not live alone in Chicago. It's the kiss of death. Also, DO NOT live in the burbs or anywhere too far away from the "fun" neighborhoods for that matter. It will ruin your experience the first few years if all you do is commute to school. I don't care if it is free, there's nothing out there for an newly independant young man on the prowl. Trust me on these points.

Oh yeah, get ready for winters to be 6 weeks longer, 10 degees colder, 100 times uglier, and 1000 times dirtier.

Feel free to post any other questions you might have, and I'll do my best to answer them.

8.9_seconds
07-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! It's a start, a big start. It's still awhile away (starting my senior year now), but the old folks are already wanting an answer and wanting to know about the school and Chicago (as if I should know). I don't expect acceptance being a huge issue, considering Columbia has a 96% acceptance rate (haha) and from everything I've heard, getting in isn't a problem.

I may have the roommate thing figured out because a friend of mine is looking to be a pastry chef and thought she might tagalong, which is A-OK for me. I do have another friend starting at Columbia this year, but it's more of an acquaintance (sp?) most times than friend, so I'm not expecting alot of help from them.

My real questions are :

1. Is wanting a 2 BR Apt. cheap out of the Question?
2. Is a loft more practical than this?
3. Would it be easier/ more beneficial to find a third roommate?
4. Considering my parents are going to try to mostly pay for whatever they can, until I get to roll around in the fun pit of student loans (yuck!), and I want to burden them as little financially for my living costs and such, Is satellite TV out of the question? No Joke, I'm addict, complete addict.
5. The Job market, how hard is it to find a job with no experience, which is also not a joke, absolutely no experience.

ABADays
07-21-2007, 07:47 PM
I think it's also the top Division III party school in the country :D