PDA

View Full Version : Contact Lens Vs. Glasses

bellisimo
07-17-2007, 04:29 AM
So I've been using glasses for roughly 10 years now...
I'm looking to switch it up and get contact lens this time around...
anyone has gone through the change?
what do you prefer?
who is wearing contacts?

I'd like to hear from those thats been wearing contacts for a while... :)

SoupIsGood
07-17-2007, 04:50 AM
I wear both. Been wearing the glasses more often nowadays, but before like this past 1.5 years it was almost always contacts. The contacts sort of wore out my eyes though, so for now I save them for solely exercise. I figure a year or so of limited use and I can get back to wearing them pretty frequently... if I want.

What questions do you have about contact? Spend a little time considering what kind you want. Mine are supposed to be the kind you throw away after 4 weeks and never sleep in. I found that you can let the whole throwing them away thing slide, but sleeping in them can get pretty brutal.

bellisimo
07-17-2007, 04:55 AM
i was hoping that i could sleep with 'em and have minimal care - but from what i've read so far it seems like its still not 100% safe to sleep with 'em...i'm thinking of getting the disposable ones - the ones that last for a week or two...

some of my friends have said that during summer time the lenses get blurry...so they have to clean it more than once per day - had any experiences like that?

SoupIsGood
07-17-2007, 05:34 AM
Mine always got blurry when I'd get sleepy, or if I had been swimming or something.

But actually, from my experience, they work pretty well in the pool and stuff. I'd open my eyes underwater all the time and one never came out.

Yeah, I hear that you can sorta sleep w/ some of em.

Robobtowncolt
07-17-2007, 07:49 AM
Wore contacts for years. Loved the convenience. Then one day, about a year ago, my left eye began completely rejecting the contact. It's developed a reaction to the protein that builds on contacts the instant you start wearing them (this is rare and happens to few people.) So now I can only wear expensive daily contact you throw away every night. Still buy them because I much prefer contacts, though.

Unclebuck
07-17-2007, 07:51 AM
I wear glasses, Tried to wear contacts and just couldn't. My eyes are extremely sensitive

efx
07-17-2007, 08:27 AM
When I started wearing contacts in 95 my eyes were so sensitive and would reflex if I got anywhere near them so I pried them open with both hands and my dad put my lenses in. Took me about a month or so of that and then my eyes got adjusted to them.

If you ever have issues with them in the beginning, your eyes can adjust. It's just pure hell until they do :(

I should also say that I much prefer contacts due to unlimited range of visibility and how they don't get dirty in the same way glasses accumulate dirt. Also, being able to wear whatever sunglasses I want in the summer is a plus of course.

Gyron
07-17-2007, 08:43 AM
Lasik for the win!

I wore glasses for almost 12 years. Never could wear contacts. They always irratated my eyes.

3 years ago, I went with Lasik, and am VERY happy I did. 20/20 vision and no side effects.

Robobtowncolt
07-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Lasik for the win!

I wore glasses for almost 12 years. Never could wear contacts. They always irratated my eyes.

3 years ago, I went with Lasik, and am VERY happy I did. 20/20 vision and no side effects.

I still cant' get past the fact that someone cuts into my eye.

Plus, you know, the $130,000 educational debt I start accumulating on 8/27.

Gyron
07-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Yeah, but you'll be able to see the professors when they are glaring at you for not doing your papers or projects on time because you spent too much time playing on PD. All without the aid of glasses or contacts....

Gyron
07-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Besides, how much a year do you spend on contacts? I bet the pay off for you is in less than 2 years if you are a contact wearer, especially if you are wearing those expensive ones....

pacercoltfan
07-17-2007, 09:45 AM
Contacts for me! I wear hard contacts, it took a couple days for my eyes to adjust. I've wore contacts daily since I was a freshman in high school. Before I would wear soft contacts off and on and I was constantly having problems with them. Plus soft contacts weren't strong enough for me. I've wore hard contacts ever since!

Robobtowncolt
07-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Besides, how much a year do you spend on contacts? I bet the pay off for you is in less than 2 years if you are a contact wearer, especially if you are wearing those expensive ones....

I'm an infrequent wearer because of the expense. And even most credit card companies would run from me in terror if I asked for money to have my eyes fixed right now.

Knucklehead Warrior
07-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Contacts wearer since 1965. Started with hard lenses and still wear gas permeables, never any soft ones. I have glasses, but seldom wear them. Very few problems, most of them early on, not in the last 35 years or so.

Several years ago I started wearing reading glasses over my contacts. That lasted a few years until accidently I picked up new lenses one time and discovered they had made me a reading lens and a distance lens. It took me 30 seconds to realize what had happened and about 5 minutes to adjust. They are great. I have been wearing a closeup lens and a faraway lens for about 3 years now. Absolutely no problems. :dance:

317Kim
07-17-2007, 01:02 PM
I wear both contacts and glasses. I've worn glasses since first grade and then began wearing contacts in 6th grade.

Contacts: I wear them in the day time.
Pros: They don't get in the way if you play sports, usually comfortable, easy to put on/take off, no one can tell you have them on, there are colors to choose from, variety of lens types.
Cons: They can get dried out and give you blurred vision for an inconvenient split second, needs extra care, cost (?).

Glasses: I wear those at night or around the house when there's no need to pop in my contacts.
Pros: Easy to put on/take off, doesn't need much care, gives you a classy look.
Cons: They can get in the way if you play sports, unless you have multiple pairs, the one pair you get must match everything you wear.

I like contacts much better, but that's just my opinion :)

Indianapolis_girly
07-17-2007, 05:35 PM
I've worn glasses for like 8 years.
I'm really considering contacts though.

Shade
07-17-2007, 08:34 PM
I wear glasses, Tried to wear contacts and just couldn't. My eyes are extremely sensitive

There's no way in hell your eyes are any more sensitive than mine are. When I first got my contacts, my doctor tried to dissuade me, saying my eyes were so sensitive I'd probably never be able to wear them on a regular basis.

Two years later... :tongue:

I still highly recommend having a decent pair of backup glasses, though, and wearing them 1-2 times a week. And there are some days where your eyes just won't let you wear contacts, no matter what.

Also, don't sleep with them in. You need to give your eyes some room to breath since they've effectively got plastic on them all day long.

Shade
07-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Lasik for the win!

It's still too new of a technology for me to really view what any long term side-effects may be.

And it's expensive.

Gyron
07-17-2007, 10:46 PM
Its not that expensive, especially when you consider what you pay per year on contacts.....or the yearly cost of a decent pair of glasses.

The pay off is pretty quick.

And trust me, the convenience is more than worth it.

As for the new technology, its been around a bit, but I understand the hesitance. I did a lot of research before I went through with it. Also talked to a lot of people who had it done before me. Sicne then Ive talked 2 other people into it here with my same doctor.

ajbry
07-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Contacts are so much better and it ain't even close. Although I really need to start taking them out at night...

But yeah, contacts are great once you get acclimated to them. Initially putting them in will be a challenge in itself, but the reward is definitely worth it. Then just take care of your eyes and you should be fine. Glasses are appropriate for the emergency occasion when your eyes don't want no part of the contacts.