PDA

View Full Version : Quitting Smoking

cramerica
07-16-2007, 05:29 PM
I just quit smoking on 6 July 07. I was taking zyban and the patch that the doctors over here provided to me but then after taking them, I started itching real bad so I had to stop taking the meds.

So basically I've quit smoking cold turkey and I'll tell you what...I cannot stop eating. I don't know how much weight I've gained, and I'm sure it's not much...but I crave food all of the time now. Peanuts, beef jerkey, etc...whatever is laying around I'm snacking on it.

This is my 3rd attempt at quitting smoking. I've smoked since I was about 15 so over 12 years now and I'm getting to that age where my dad started having health issues with his heart. So now I've gotta quit for good.

This is the first time I've quit cold turkey and my cravings for cigarettes aren't there anymore, but my cravings for food is out of this world.

Anybody else have in similar experiences?

Mr. Pink
07-16-2007, 05:33 PM
Sounds like you are replacing one addiction with another one one...

cramerica
07-16-2007, 05:44 PM
I know. I'm really trying not to snack so much.

Unclebuck
07-16-2007, 06:09 PM
I've never smoked. But I think right now just worry about quiting smoking - make sure you have quit for good and maybe in another few weeks, start to curtail your food intake.

That is what I would suggest - not that I'm an expert at all in this area

indygeezer
07-16-2007, 06:30 PM
I finally quit cold turkey 7 yrs ago after trying to quit for 35 or so. The food thing is still a problem but it was mostly what to do with my hands. I missed the habit of "doing" something. A pencil replaced the cigarette for me.

Of course I now have this nasty eraser habit.

Stryder
07-16-2007, 09:04 PM
I just quit smoking on 6 July 07. I was taking zyban and the patch that the doctors over here provided to me but then after taking them, I started itching real bad so I had to stop taking the meds.

So basically I've quit smoking cold turkey and I'll tell you what...I cannot stop eating. I don't know how much weight I've gained, and I'm sure it's not much...but I crave food all of the time now. Peanuts, beef jerkey, etc...whatever is laying around I'm snacking on it.

This is my 3rd attempt at quitting smoking. I've smoked since I was about 15 so over 12 years now and I'm getting to that age where my dad started having health issues with his heart. So now I've gotta quit for good.

This is the first time I've quit cold turkey and my cravings for cigarettes aren't there anymore, but my cravings for food is out of this world.

Anybody else have in similar experiences?

Zyban, or Bupropion (Wellbutrin), IMO, is not a good choice for a smoking cessation drug.

If you want to try the drug route, I would try Chantix (Varenicline), it is the first drug of its kind, having been on the market less than a year. It is also marketed by Pfizer and is a nicotine receptor partial agonist, that is it binds to nicotine receptors.

Good luck.

cramerica
07-16-2007, 09:58 PM
I've done Zyban and the patch three times now. This was the first time I've ever had an "allergic reaction" to them. I've never tried Chantix, but that's only because it's not offered out in Iraq yet (or they don't have it in supply). If I start back, then I'll try the chantix.

Thanks.

ABADays
07-16-2007, 10:20 PM
I've heard MRE's are the answer.

MarionDeputy
07-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Good luck!!

skyfire
07-17-2007, 01:23 AM
I've never been a smoker, but I've recently being doing some reading about adjusting your metabolism and eating habits.

To get your metabolism working at its utmost, you should be eating 5-6 small meals a day and exercising for atleast half an hour 6 days a week. While this is a huge change for most people, i've been experimenting with eating my lunch in two parts at around 11am and 1pm. It helps keep my energy levels up throughout the day and stops me from snacking throughout the day. Snacking is also related to boredom, so if you can try to keep yourself busy and spread your main meals out abit, you should be able to limit some of your snacking.

Knucklehead Warrior
07-17-2007, 02:25 PM
I smoked for 20 years and quit 20 years ago.
I gained 35 pounds right away. Substitute exercise for the craving before you blow up like a blimp. If you MUST eat something, make it an apple or carrot or celery.

You also could use some other physical substitutes -- keep a rubber band on your wrist and snap it whenever you get an urge for either a smoke or food.
I also used to squeeze a racquetball. Over time cravings are less frequent and less powerful. Your body will adjust.

Remember, you're never more than a puff away from a pack a day. Good luck with it. I've never regretted quitting. Who would?

Brian
07-17-2007, 02:30 PM
My dad is 55 years old,and he has smoked since he was 16.He recently quit,And I havent seen my dad with this much energy and appetite in about 15-20 years.He actually played basketball the other day,he doesnt done that since I was a child.And he cant quit eating.

He just quit cold turkey,said he isnt going to pay $400 a month on smoking.Im glad that he finally quit.

But he told me the worst cravings are after a meal.

RWB
07-17-2007, 02:36 PM
Zyban, or Bupropion (Wellbutrin), IMO, is not a good choice for a smoking cessation drug.

If you want to try the drug route, I would try Chantix (Varenicline), it is the first drug of its kind, having been on the market less than a year. It is also marketed by Pfizer and is a nicotine receptor partial agonist, that is it binds to nicotine receptors.

Good luck.

Heard many good things about Chantix and it's a good choice if you need help.

On personal note good for you Cramerica. I quit 5 years ago and believe if I hadn't I would probably have to carry oxygen with me. I can tell my lungs are full of fluid all the time and the damage can not be repaired.

The second week of my quit was the toughest and I had to constantly tell myself I simply was not going to smoke anymore. As UB pointed out focus on quiting first and after you have a month or so under the belt then focus on your eating habits.

I gained about 40 to 45 pounds after I quit, still need to lose 25 to get back to my natural weight.

travmil
07-17-2007, 02:37 PM
My dad quit too after smoking for over 40 years. He had the food cravings too. He solved it by chewing toothpicks.

Los Angeles
07-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Drink water instead and work out at least once a day.

Or you're destined to put on the "I quit smoking" 20 and they will never come off.

cramerica
07-17-2007, 03:18 PM
I can't believe some of these stories. I didn't know the food thing was such a big deal. Kind of an eye opener. I guess I forgot but a couple of years ago I quit and I went from 165 to 190. I had completely forgot about that until reading some of these stories.

Brian, I'm glad your dad quit and I'm glad he was able to have more energy around you guys. I always like reading things like that.

RWB, I would wake up in the morning and would just be wheezing. I actually developed pneumonia in my lungs last August. Everytime I took a deep breath it would hurt. The doctor actually told me that my lungs were "used to the beating" because I smoked and if I didn't smoke the pneumonia would have been 10x worse. Of course smoking is what caused the pneumonia. It's really scary what this crap can do to you.

I need to quit...and I will. But I really gotta focus on that food thing too. I'll drink water and do the other things as well.

SoupIsGood
07-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Good luck! And LA had some good advice. It's so hard to quit smoking--I've got a lot of respect for those who try to. I wish my dad would totally kick the habit at some point.

Los Angeles
07-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Those are some familiar numbers. :nod:

My own weight while smoking: ~ 155-160.

My weight 2-3 years after quitting: ~ 190

My heaviest weight before leaving the midwest: ~ 210

My weight after a few years of the "active" California lifestyle: 180 (Though a lot of that is muscle now, I've still got plenty of "beer weight")

As long as you work out in some way every day (run, join a league, kick box, go to the gym, whatever) and drink water instead of eat food, you will not put on the weight in the first place and hopefully you won't see a swing like I've had.