PDA

View Full Version : Artest and Jax suspended again...

travmil
07-14-2007, 02:39 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2936623

NBA suspends Jackson, Artest seven games each
ESPN.com news services

Updated: July 14, 2007, 2:35 PM ET

Stephen Jackson and Ron Artest have been suspended seven games without pay by the NBA for recent scrapes with the law, the league announced Saturday.

Jackson, of the Golden State Warriors, was suspended for pleading guilty to criminal recklessness in Indiana, while Artest was suspended for pleading no contest to spousal abuse.

Both suspensions will begin with the first game of the 2007-08 NBA regular season.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Weird timing but hardly surprising.

Los Angeles
07-14-2007, 02:42 PM
To think that some said these two could bring us a championship ...

:giveup:

ABADays
07-14-2007, 02:49 PM
Pacers alumni must be so proud. Will Tinsley join the group?

Hicks
07-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Yeah I just saw on ESPNews in their little "Breaking News" corner on the bottom left:

Stephen Jackson, Ron
Artest Suspended 7 games

For once they're not on our roster.

Kegboy
07-14-2007, 02:53 PM
See, even Stern at least throws us a bone before the party.

dgranger
07-14-2007, 02:56 PM
http://www.nba.com/news/suspend_070714.html

Tom White
07-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Yeah I just saw on ESPNews in their little "Breaking News" corner on the bottom left:

Stephen Jackson, Ron
Artest Suspended 7 games

For once they're not on our roster.

I'm surprised they didn't list it as:

Ex-Pacers Stephen Jackson and Ron Artest

travmil
07-14-2007, 03:01 PM
beat ya na na na na na na :p

:D

travmil
07-14-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm surprised they didn't list it as:

Ex-Pacers Stephen Jackson and Ron Artest

You watch that will be in the story before it's over...

That will be in the story, and there wil be something in there about them being the central figures in the brawl...

Kegboy
07-14-2007, 03:22 PM
You watch that will be in the story before it's over...

That will be in the story, and there wil be something in there about them being the central figures in the brawl...

They've already updated the story you linked to as such.

Los Angeles
07-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Yep:

Stephen Jackson and Ron Artest have been suspended seven games without pay by the NBA for recent scrapes with the law, the league announced Saturday.

Jackson, of the Golden State Warriors, was suspended for pleading guilty to criminal recklessness in Indiana, while Artest was suspended for pleading no contest to spousal abuse.

Both suspensions will begin with the first game of the 2007-08 NBA regular season.

Jackson pleaded guilty last month to a felony count of criminal recklessness for firing a gun outside a strip club last fall and was ordered to pay a $5,000 fine and perform 100 hours of community service.

Artest was arrested and charged in March with assaulting his wife. He pleaded no contest to the charge in May and was sentenced to 100 hours of community service and a 10-day work project.

Both players were previously suspended by the league for their involvement involved in the Indiana Pacers' brawl with Detroit Pistons fans at the Palace of Auburn Hills in 2004.

Evidently it was OUR brawl.

SamBear
07-14-2007, 03:26 PM
Wow... just wow.

Coop
07-14-2007, 03:53 PM
**** ESPN. I don't care if I can't say that. I'm sick of them playing it up like the Pacers organization is the stem of all these players' problems. Everywhere you go, all you hear is "Ex-Pacer this or that" and there's always mention of the brawl. It's played out...for real.

Pacersin2033
07-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Why these guys, other guys in the league have done knuckleheaded stuff, and did stern copy of the NFL and discipline them.

ABADays
07-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Ah yes - our reputation is still intact. Makes a guy proud. :hmm:

Tom White
07-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Why these guys, other guys in the league have done knuckleheaded stuff, and did stern copy of the NFL and discipline them.

Its not just about "knucklehead stuff". They both BROKE THE LAW. Not just NBA rules. That's why.

ajbry
07-14-2007, 05:44 PM
"I accept the suspension, believe it is fair and definitely look forward to having this entire process come to a conclusion in November," Jackson said in a statement released by the Warriors. "Additionally, I apologize to my teammates, our fans, our ownership and the NBA for the negativity this has created and the poor example that I set."

Everyone knew Jack would get suspended for a maximum of 10 games per the league's policy. 7 ain't too bad, but it is tragically humorous he has to be linked to Ron again. People will associate them together forever, it seems.

pacercoltfan
07-14-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm shocked I tell you! SHOCKED! :eek: ;)

Lord Helmet
07-14-2007, 05:50 PM
"I accept the suspension, believe it is fair and definitely look forward to having this entire process come to a conclusion in November," Jackson said in a statement released by the Warriors. "Additionally, I apologize to my teammates, our fans, our ownership and the NBA for the negativity this has created and the poor example that I set."

Everyone knew Jack would get suspended for a maximum of 10 games per the league's policy. 7 ain't too bad, but it is tragically humorous he has to be linked to Ron again. People will associate them together forever, it seems.
Along with them being associated with the Pacers.

ajbry
07-14-2007, 05:54 PM
Along with them being associated with the Pacers.

Until the Pacers become relevant again we shouldn't have to worry about any of that. I'm a little more concerned about the Dubs first 7 games...

Pacersin2033
07-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Its not just about "knucklehead stuff". They both BROKE THE LAW. Not just NBA rules. That's why.

Please in the last 3 years, I can name 4 other pacers that have broken the law. NBA players break the law all the time, hell wasn't there another gun incident last year, shortly before or after Jackson, I don't seem to recall him doing anything then.

And for the record, I am not against discipline. I support the NFL rule, but the NFL rule has was not just invented and used on a handful of players, and most certainly hasn't faded away, like this NBA crackdown will probably do.

Los Angeles
07-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Until the Pacers become relevant again we shouldn't have to worry about any of that. I'm a little more concerned about the Dubs first 7 games...

Glad you have your priorities straight. :giveup: again.

dlewyus
07-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Ah, knucklheads from another team. I really like the sound of that. :happydanc

Oneal07
07-14-2007, 08:05 PM
^^ LOL!!! I'm shocked, but why would they get suspended now? All of this happened months ago

Tom White
07-14-2007, 08:36 PM
Please in the last 3 years, I can name 4 other pacers that have broken the law. NBA players break the law all the time, hell wasn't there another gun incident last year, shortly before or after Jackson, I don't seem to recall him doing anything then.

I seem to remember something about Iverson and a gun from a few years ago. Maybe that is what you are thinking of? If he or any other player was convicted of a weapons related charge, they should also have been suspended.

Remember also that Jackson and Artest are not first time offenders in the league's view. I also approve of the NFL's get tough policy. The NBA needs to follow suit and work on their image.

avoidingtheclowns
07-14-2007, 10:33 PM
a few years ago alan henderson was trying to take a gun thru airport security (i think it was in luggage).

telfair had a firearm issue a few months ago.

lonnie baxter ... well thats another issue entirely since he's no longer in the league but he just was charged i believe for fedex'ing firearms.

Cactus Jax
07-15-2007, 01:18 AM
Originally Posted by ESPN, and altered by Cactus Jax

Jackson, formerly of the Indiana Pacers, was suspended for pleading guilty to criminal recklessness in Indiana, while Artest was suspended for pleading no contest to spousal abuse.

Jackson pleaded guilty last month to a felony count of criminal recklessness for firing a gun outside a strip club last fall and was ordered to pay a $5,000 fine and perform 100 hours of community service.

Artest was arrested and charged in March with assaulting his wife. He pleaded no contest to the charge in May and was sentenced to 100 hours of community service and a 10-day work project.

Both players were previously suspended by the league for their involvement involved in the Indiana Pacers' brawl with Detroit Pistons fans at the Palace of Auburn Hills in 2004.

Since these players are no longer on the Indiana Pacers, NBA commisioner David Stern chose a different method of punishment. Jermaine O'Neal has been suspended for the entire season, unless he is traded, in which the players received will gain said suspension. The Pacers initially complained about the ruling, but as Stern said, "The vote was 1-0 me, it was either they accept their wrongdoing, or I destroy the entire franchise, and get out of hickland"

Mourning
07-15-2007, 06:21 AM
Glad you have your priorities straight. :giveup: again.

:spitout: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Slick Pinkham
07-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Please in the last 3 years, I can name 4 other pacers that have broken the law. NBA players break the law all the time.

Stephan Jerkson admitted to a FELONY. This dosn't happen every day. Not sure if Ron's spousal abuse charge was a felony or not. If it wasn't, then he has a beef with being lumped with that other loser, at least in this instance.

Pacersin2033
07-15-2007, 01:52 PM
Stephan Jerkson admitted to a FELONY. This dosn't happen every day. Not sure if Ron's spousal abuse charge was a felony or not. If it wasn't, then he has a beef with being lumped with that other loser, at least in this instance.

Rons not the first one to beat his wife, and I doubt he will be the last. But I would bet good money that he will be the last to be suspended by stern for it.

Shade
07-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Jack's right. They do ride together. This time, to the bench for 7 games.

Shade
07-15-2007, 01:58 PM
Does anyone else find it interesting that Jack, Ron, and Dominic Rhodes are suspended a total of 18 games to start next season?

ABADays
07-15-2007, 02:31 PM
No not really. Indy is the fertile soil for devil seeds.

grace
07-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Does anyone else find it interesting that Jack, Ron, and Dominic Rhodes are suspended a total of 18 games to start next season?

Not as interesting as all the crap that's been going on with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Shade
07-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Not as interesting as all the crap that's been going on with the Cincinnati Bengals.

They should just move to Vegas already and get it over with.

ABADays
07-15-2007, 05:03 PM
What the hell kind of journalist writes former Pacer or ex-Pacer instead of Golden State Warriors' Stephen Jackson or Kings' Ron Artest.

Naptown_Seth
07-15-2007, 05:37 PM
I seem to remember something about Iverson and a gun from a few years ago. Maybe that is what you are thinking of? If he or any other player was convicted of a weapons related charge, they should also have been suspended.

Remember also that Jackson and Artest are not first time offenders in the league's view. I also approve of the NFL's get tough policy. The NBA needs to follow suit and work on their image.
Iverson got 1 game for DRUG and GUN possession charges.

Iverson got 0 games when he threw his wife out and then took a gun with him the next night when he went looking for her at his cousins house. Conflicting testimony got all FOURTEEN charges dropped, which apparently was good enough for Stern. No harm no foul it appears.

Of course good guy Reuben Patterson got a whopping 5 game suspension for rape. Mussleman got 2 games for DUI. So really you can see the fair, balanced approach the NBA takes in all this. Fight with drunk criminals in a parking lot when they stop you from leaving so they can tussle, unacceptable. Get drunk and go out driving so you can smash into someone coming home from something like a PD party, only kinda unacceptable.

BTW, the photo I saw tied to the AP story - both players in PACERS uniforms. No worries that Ron's been gone for more than a year. Sheesh. It's not tied to reality anymore, it's a stigma that isn't even close to real.

Hey, how about the Pacers having an apparently no-tolerance policy, does that get mentioned. After all Jack was moved BEFORE his trial date. Ron was moved BEFORE any other legal incident.

Pacers legal issues

1) Fight with drunken Pistons fans, several of whom who had criminal records (unlike guys like Jackson and JO at the time).

- Ron traded

2) Club Rio fight with drunken strip club patrons, both of whom had criminal records worse than Jackson at that point (and obviously worse than no-record Tins and Quis).

- Jackson traded

3) 8 Seconds Saloon - pending

Wow, that is quite a list. It's almost as bad as Sheed and Damon put together all on their own. Or AI's own effort, though of course AI hit criminal convictions before he even got into the NBA.

What I don't get is how the Pacers keep letting these criminals hang out with the team till trouble shows up again (he said with full sarcasm). Mountain, I remember when you were just a molehill.

ajbry
07-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Damn, I hadn't even really looked at the precedents that the NBA has set in the past, I just sort of anticipated this sort of punishment as Jack did.

But your points are right on the mark. I can't particularly blame Stern for laying down the law on Jack, whom is unfortunately the current NBA "thug" poster boy. My main concern was why the NBA decided to pin the same exact punishment on two forever linked players on the same day. It seemed like they were sending a weird message.

And yeah, the whole press photos of them in Pacers photos is just humorous if anything. Shows how their reputations were forever tarnished that night, and the same for the Pacers organization.

Indianapolis_girly
07-15-2007, 06:15 PM
Yep:

Evidently it was OUR brawl.
Ughh, I don't like ESPN.. :mad:

Indianapolis_girly
07-15-2007, 06:18 PM
What the hell kind of journalist writes former Pacer or ex-Pacer instead of Golden State Warriors' Stephen Jackson or Kings' Ron Artest.
That's what I'm wondering. :confused:

Shade
07-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Damn, I hadn't even really looked at the precedents that the NBA has set in the past, I just sort of anticipated this sort of punishment as Jack did.

The NBA doesn't set precedents. They just make up the rules as they go.

Apparently, the referees thought it was a good plan as well.

Slick Pinkham
07-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Iverson got 1 game for DRUG and GUN possession charges.

when?

pre brawl

Iverson got 0 games when he threw his wife out and then took a gun with him the next night when he went looking for her at his cousins house. Conflicting testimony got all FOURTEEN charges dropped, which apparently was good enough for Stern. No harm no foul it appears.

when?

pre brawl

Of course good guy Reuben Patterson got a whopping 5 game suspension for (ATTEMPTED) rape.

when?

pre brawl

I see a trend. Players now get hammered when they get in trouble with the law, and it started one night in Detroit a few years back...

LG33
07-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Rons not the first one to beat his wife, and I doubt he will be the last. But I would bet good money that he will be the last to be suspended by stern for it.

I believe Doug Christie got suspended for a couple games when his wife beat him...

Country Boy
07-15-2007, 09:47 PM

UM, were they Pacers when they committed these indescretions, as some would classify them? The Pacers have learned a hard lesson that us country folk already have learned, and that is, If you lay down with dogs, you will get up with fleas.

Shade
07-15-2007, 09:53 PM
UM, were they Pacers when they committed these indescretions, as some would classify them? The Pacers have learned a hard lesson that us country folk already have learned, and that is, If you lay down with dogs, you will get up with fleas.

Artest wasn't.

Shade
07-15-2007, 09:57 PM
I believe Doug Christie got suspended for a couple games when his wife beat him...

What happened to Rick Fox? :D

IYF8Q39Icl4

Big Smooth
07-15-2007, 10:02 PM

Given their obvious involvement in the brawl and the convenient coincedence of them both getting suspended for the same amount of games on the same day, it's pretty much inevitable methinks.

VF21
07-16-2007, 12:30 AM

Nope. Not Doug Christie. Are you thinking, perchance, of Jason Kidd?

In other news, I'm glad for you guys that this time the only impact you're really feeling is the side mention of the brawl. In my neck of the woods, some people are STILL trying to find ways to defend Artest and saying he's changed, just look at where he is now (in Africa on some charitable NBA thing), etc.

Ron Artest is the true epitome of a classic Greek tragedy. I just wish he wasn't OUR classic Greek tragedy. At least Jackson came out and apologized. Artest is appealing the decision...

And our local papers are already acting as though this was just a little misstep, you know like soaping a window on Halloween.

I've reminded them time and time again what Pacer fans went through but it's not going to do any good until the next time. And then those same people will be mystified about why it happened and angry at Artest for letting them down.

I guess it's just not going to end until Artest has either done something so bad he actually ends up being kicked out of the league or retires.

And it's such a shame because having seen him play, his talent is undeniable.

...sigh...

Kegboy
07-16-2007, 12:42 AM
You have our sympathies, VF.

:console:

grace
07-16-2007, 01:05 AM
VF, I have a question about your fellow Kings fans. Have they heard of the brawl? Do they honestly think it was an aboration and Ron would never do anything stupid again?

SoupIsGood
07-16-2007, 01:28 AM
In my neck of the woods, some people are STILL trying to find ways to defend Artest and saying he's changed,

Oh man. Welcome to Pacer Hell for like two years. The good part is that, eventually, it goes away...

VF21
07-16-2007, 02:11 AM
VF, I have a question about your fellow Kings fans. Have they heard of the brawl? Do they honestly think it was an aboration and Ron would never do anything stupid again?

We pontificated about the brawl a lot back when it happened. You know, when Artest was YOUR problem and not ours.

When the Peja-Artest deal was announced, a number of us were - quite frankly - just relieved to see Peja going somewhere else as we were very afraid the Maloofs might, as they actually commented one time, give him a maximum deal. In the minds of some, Artest was actually the lesser of two evils. :eek:

When Artest got to the Kings, the fans were pretty much split down the middle. Some thought just being on the Kings could solve all the problems. You know, like we have magic waters or something ;)

The majority, like me, were fearful but willing to give him a chance.

This past year the excuses have continued, although the majority of long-time fans (those who didn't learn basketball from some video game) have just about had it. We recognize his talents but there isn't room enough in Arco for Artest AND all his baggage.

Even now, there are some who think THIS TIME (sound familiar Pacer fans?) Artest has learned his lesson. After all, he announced publicly that he wants to retire as a King. (Insert suitable emoticon of disbelief that anyone could actually believe that here...)

I do honestly feel sorry for him because he's a flawed individual who will never understand why he keeps making mistakes...but as all of you learned and Kings fans should learn by example, he won't stop making them.

Hicks
07-16-2007, 03:47 AM
Yeah, Jackson apologized by having his GS teammates fake patting him down like a police officer during player announcements. He's really sorry.

JayRedd
07-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Even now, there are some who think THIS TIME (sound familiar Pacer fans?) Artest has learned his lesson. After all, he announced publicly that he wants to retire as a King. (Insert suitable emoticon of disbelief that anyone could actually believe that here...)

:tmyk:

ajbry
07-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Yeah, Jackson apologized by having his GS teammates fake patting him down like a police officer during player announcements. He's really sorry.

Too bad the only people who have disapproved of that have been disgruntled Pacers fans...

Gyron
07-16-2007, 10:51 AM
Too bad the only people who have disapproved of that have been disgruntled Pacers fans...

That was in poor taste for anyone to do. People who disapprove are not just pacer fans.

Slick Pinkham
07-16-2007, 10:53 AM
The only people who have approved of that have been Warriors fans and people with a strange man-love obsession about Stephen Jackson.

ajbry
07-16-2007, 12:16 PM
I haven't read anything from anyone other than Pacers fans who seem appalled by his little introduction. Find me some examples and I might care.

Shade
07-16-2007, 01:57 PM

Well, considering we're the ones who had to deal with it first hand...

Since86
07-16-2007, 02:02 PM
I haven't read anything from anyone other than Pacers fans who seem appalled by his little introduction. Find me some examples and I might care.

Because he's mocking his legal problems that came about while he was a *gasp* PACER!

Why in the world would a Spurs fan care? Or a Pistons? They didn't have to go through all his legal bull**** for 4 years.

JayRedd
07-16-2007, 04:39 PM

I thought it was pretty funny actually.

Shade
07-16-2007, 09:23 PM
I find it hilarious that certain media outlets are whining that the suspensions are excessive.

I guess they're only excessive because they no longer wear Pacers uniforms. If they were still in Indy, the same people would be calling for the death penalty.

rexnom
07-16-2007, 10:59 PM
The only people who have approved of that have been Warriors fans and people with a strange man-love obsession about Stephen Jackson.
I thought that the Jack thing was funny. I'm a Pacer fan with a normal man-love obsession about Jack. As opposed to a strange one.

Mr.ThunderMakeR
07-17-2007, 02:16 AM
I thought that the Jack thing was funny. I'm a Pacer fan with a normal man-love obsession about Jack. As opposed to a strange one.Are you just looking at things and saying you love them? Do you really love Jack, or are you just saying it because you saw him?

Naptown_Seth
07-17-2007, 02:25 AM
I thought it was pretty funny actually.
So did I. There's nothing wrong with someone owning their situation. I mean Pacers fans weren't exactly rushing to help him forget about it and move on, so why shouldn't he at least find some measure of fun in it.

The guy laughs at his situation and his mocking you? Sheesh, wasn't the criminal prosecution enough for some of you?

Jackson's one of the few ex-Pacers that didn't go off to some other media outlet and just blast the org and the coach. I thought he was pretty professional in how he handled the overall situation when seriousness was called for.

Introductions before you start playing a GAME is not one of those times. Showing up for your court hearing and mocking the process...then I'd see the outrage.

Hicks
07-17-2007, 02:32 AM
*cue O.J. smiling to the crowd making mock stabbing motions in jest*