PDA

View Full Version : Nets Sign Jamaal Magloire

Y2J
07-14-2007, 08:30 AM
A huge steal - 1 year, $4M

LINK (http://www.nypost.com/seven/07142007/sports/nets/nets_sign_magloire__moore_lost_to_kings_nets_fred_ kerber.htm)

NETS SIGN MAGLOIRE; MOORE LOST TO KINGS
By FRED KERBER

July 14, 2007 -- The Nets said goodbye to two big men while preparing to welcome another.
Free agent forward/center Jamaal Magloire last night agreed to a one-year deal with the Nets shortly after Mikki Moore, who responded with a career year when he stepped in for the injured Nenad Krstic, decided to sign with the Sacramento Kings.
Moore's move came just hours after the Nets, as expected, waived 40-year-old forward Cliff Robinson, whose time dwindled sharply last season. Robinson, a Net for 2 seasons, received a $500,000 buyout.
The loss of Moore, who chose a three-year, $18 million offer from the Kings, left the Nets looking for another big man. They wasted little time in landing Magloire, a 9.0 ppg career scorer. It is believed Magloire will get $4 million for the one-year pact.
"Mikki is going to sign with Sacramento, it's a great situation. And Mikki is very grateful to the Nets for the opportunity they gave him and he responded with a great year," agent Mark Bartelstein said last night. "The Nets were somewhat limited because of luxury tax considerations. Mikki is going on 32 and this was a great financial package."
The Nets had offered Moore a three-year deal worth $11 million, but placed a deadline on the proposal. When the deadline passed as Moore scouted the market, the Nets withdrew the offer.

Kegboy
07-14-2007, 08:42 AM
I don't know. NJ is pretty desperate for a Big, and Magloire only gets a one-year deal from them? His stock around the league has never been nearly as high as it is on this board.

I don't see this affecting them going after JO since they lost Moore. You can argue that Magloire wouldn't be a good fit with JO, but he's better than Mikey would have been.

Speed
07-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Mikki Moore just got a Croshere type contract, just no the length. He should pay half of it to JKidd, imo. He'll get eaten for lunch in the West.

Unclebuck
07-14-2007, 09:43 AM
If I had the choice, I would rather have Moore than Magloire

Speed
07-14-2007, 09:51 AM
If I had the choice, I would rather have Moore than Magloire

Both limited situational back ups, imho, I'd rather have Foster than either.

Y2J
07-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Jamaal Magloire went from massively overrated to massively underrated in less than 2 seasons.

Kegboy
07-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Jamaal Magloire went from massively overrated to massively underrated in less than 2 seasons.

He also went from averaging a double-double for a playoff team to barely playing for a nobody.

Y2J
07-14-2007, 11:41 AM
He also went from averaging a double-double for a playoff team to barely playing for a nobody.

Exactly. Why couldn't he average a double-double once again if given the minutes? He still has some skill and he's just 29. It's just a 1 year deal for not even the full MLE. Compare that to Mikki Moore's contract, 3 years, $18M for a guy who's about to turn 32 and who's career year is 10/5.

PR07
07-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Magloire is vastly underrated right now. Yes, he was overrated, but this is still a guy who can be a solid center in this league. He even made an all-star team before...I know it was in the East when they only had like 2 good centers, but it's still an all-star team. Magloire was smart and took the one year deal...his value will go up by playing with Jason Kidd and a return to the East....and he'll get a bigger payday next offseason.

BlueNGold
07-14-2007, 12:50 PM
Magloire is vastly underrated right now. Yes, he was overrated, but this is still a guy who can be a solid center in this league. He even made an all-star team before...I know it was in the East when they only had like 2 good centers, but it's still an all-star team. Magloire was smart and took the one year deal...his value will go up by playing with Jason Kidd and a return to the East....and he'll get a bigger payday next offseason.

Very well put. But I do find it funny that Jason Kopono makes significantly more money. He must have wanted to play with NJ....or like you said have a good chance to look good next to JKidd.

Frank Slade
07-14-2007, 01:30 PM
I don't know. NJ is pretty desperate for a Big, and Magloire only gets a one-year deal from them? His stock around the league has never been nearly as high as it is on this board.

I don't see this affecting them going after JO since they lost Moore. You can argue that Magloire wouldn't be a good fit with JO, but he's better than Mikey would have been.

Yeah there is a reason Mags continues to be traded almost every year.
I got off the Mags train about a year and a half ago, the fans of his former teams usually don't hold him in too high regard.