PDA

View Full Version : Steve Blake to Portland

Cactus Jax
07-13-2007, 08:02 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_5628146,00.html

Another move I like for the Blazers.

Shade
07-13-2007, 08:03 PM
So, only Chucky, Hart, and McLeod remain.

Cactus Jax
07-13-2007, 08:04 PM
In the article it says the Nuggets are on the verge of signing Atkins, so he's out too.

Shade
07-13-2007, 08:05 PM
In the article it says the Nuggets are on the verge of signing Atkins, so he's out too.

Yeah, I just saw that.

Hart or McLeod, then. Yipee.

blanket
07-13-2007, 08:08 PM
How many PGs does that give Portland now?!?

Jack, Rodriguez, Koponen, and now Blake

Is someone going to be traded?

Cactus Jax
07-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Well we could get Alexander Johnson back to make up for losing James White :shrug:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47119/20070713/grizzlies_waive_alexander_johnson/

Shade
07-13-2007, 08:24 PM
Well we could get Alexander Johnson back to make up for losing James White :shrug:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47119/20070713/grizzlies_waive_alexander_johnson/

Sure, but only if we deal 3 future 2nd rounders for him.

Y2J
07-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Hallelujah! The Pacers blowing their MLE on this dud was one of my worst nightmares.

LG33
07-13-2007, 11:19 PM
One step closer to the Diener...

idioteque
07-13-2007, 11:28 PM
How many PGs does that give Portland now?!?

Jack, Rodriguez, Koponen, and now Blake

Is someone going to be traded?

I think Koponen is going back to Europe next year.

But the remaining three make a nice triad at PG. Great Depth there. AND an Aldridge/Oden/Frye frontcourt? AND Brandon Roy?

I don't think Portland will make the playoffs next year, but they'll be an exciting team to watch regardless of their record.

Probably a better version of the young guns that were playing for Boston last year. They were bad, but it was still an exciting team to watch, even with Pierce out.

avoidingtheclowns
07-13-2007, 11:45 PM
^^ yeah but how are they going to get all three the minutes they need. sergio and jack need playing time to improve. blake just got a three year deal so i would think he'd go somewhere he would actually be able to play (when he could have received a similar deal from say cleveland and had playing time). it seems a strange move to me UNLESS jack's trade is imminent.

Roy Munson
07-14-2007, 02:31 AM
^^ yeah but how are they going to get all three the minutes they need. sergio and jack need playing time to improve. blake just got a three year deal so i would think he'd go somewhere he would actually be able to play (when he could have received a similar deal from say cleveland and had playing time). it seems a strange move to me UNLESS jack's trade is imminent.

I think they'll trade either JJack or Sergio. Sergio hasn't looked very good this summer.

OakMoses
07-14-2007, 09:44 AM
I think they'll trade either JJack or Sergio. Sergio hasn't looked very good this summer.

I agree. Jack is already a better PG than Blake, and they supposedly like Sergio more than Jack for the long term.

They're immediate need is at the 3. They don't really have a starting caliber SF on their roster.

Either Granger or Shawne for Jack works.

Or Dunleavy and Armstrong for Darius Miles and Jarrett Jack. Miles has a contract equal to Dunleavy's, but it's one year shorter. There's also a chance he could retire.

Another possibility would be Dunleavy for Pryzbilla and Jack. I don't know if Portland would be interested.

Anthem
07-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Shawne for Jack in a heartbeat. And I like Shawne.

Mr. Sobchak
07-14-2007, 01:55 PM
One poster on Realgm suggested a Granger for JJack and Martell Webster trade. We would be stupid not to do that deal.

Oneal07
07-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Why would we want to trade Granger? I understand Jermaine for certain reasons, but Granger? Nah, I'd rather keep him and Shawne!!

Roy Munson
07-15-2007, 12:14 PM
This is what Canzano thinks the Blazers are up to regarding the signing of Blake. He suggests that they might be packaging Jack and Przybilla for an upcoming move.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/johncanzano/2007/07/blazers_eyeing_chris_paul_in_s.html

<b>Blazers eyeing Chris Paul in summer 2009?</b>
Posted by jcanzano July 13, 2007 21:43PM

You're going to have to do a lot of reading between the lines when it comes to Portland's free-agent signing of Steve Blake, but I think you'll like what you see when you do.

This signing automatically means Jarrett Jack is what league executives call "a mover." The Blazers obviously don't think they can win big with Jack, and I expect he'll be in another uniform by the start of camp (maybe paired with Joel Przybilla in a trade?). Also, a Western Conference GM tells me the Blazers were unwilling to give any free-agent they seriously talked with anything beyond a two-year contract.

Ask yourself why?

Raef LaFrentz, Steve Francis (buyout), James Jones and now, Blake, will all come 100-percent off the salary-cap books in the summer of 2009. If Portland plays it wise, they're going to be a major player in free agency that summer.

So... which point guard could become a restricted free agent that summer?

Chris Paul.

Sure, the Hornets will have the right to match an offer, and retain Bird Rights, but I'm thinking Blazers' owner Paul Allen could make that standoff non-issue with a huge offer sheet.

It's the kind of stuff that will make you forget that dumb Trenton Hassell offer-sheet news conference a few years ago. You remember the one, the Blazers handed Hassell a Blazers' hat and he smiled and then, set it on the table.

If the Blazers are prudent in the next two years and enter that free-agent fray with $12-20 million in salary-cap room, look out.

Keep in mind, Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard, who sharpening pencils in the draft room as the assistant GM three years ago, pushed hard to draft Paul over Martell Webster, but lost out.

Portland will obviously gear up in the summer of 2009 to fill a major need with a major signing, and right now, they have to be thinking the addition of Paul to a lineup that would include Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge and Greg Oden would be ridiculously exciting to watch.

In fact, I think that's a lineup that plays deep in the playoffs.

Maybe you're the kind of person who gets charged up by a big-name free-agent signing in July, and maybe you're having a difficult time getting jolted about the Blake deal, but it makes total sense, and maintains Portland's flexibility in the summer of 2009.

Keep an eye on that.

I don't see a thing wrong with this Blake signing. He's an upgrade defensively on Jack. He brings veteran experience. He's a great locker-room guy. And he fits the grand plan, even as short-sighted critics aren't going to see it.

Oneal07
07-16-2007, 12:28 AM
With Portland making all these moves, you wonder if they are satisfied with their team!!! They have a nyce young core, develop them. . .making all these moves are unnecessary!

GrangerRanger
07-16-2007, 12:37 AM
One step closer to the Diener...

I wish we would.

Isn't this Blake's second stop in Portland?