PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Shawne...

docpaul
07-13-2007, 06:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=orlandosummerleaguesday4

MOST IMPRESSIVE: Shawne Williams (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=4145), Pacers -- He was admittedly thrown for a loop when Rick Carlisle stepped down as head coach and Jim O'Brien took the reins. Just as Williams, 21, was starting to get the hang of the NBA and the Pacers' style of play, things were flipped upside down with the coaching switch."It's kind of shocking to me now, and it's like starting all over again," Williams said. "You have to learn all the sets all over. It's like my rookie year all over again."
Williams seems to be getting the hang of it, and he broke out Thursday with his finest game of the summer league. He had 19 points, 10 rebounds and two blocked shots in Indiana's loss 78-66 loss to Miami.
Williams' rookie season with Indiana was mostly filled with frustration. He was left inactive for the first 22 games of the season and played only sparingly after scoring 13 points in his NBA debut.
Now, the 6-foot-9, 225-pound physical specimen knows this is his summer to shine.
"It's a big summer for me to develop," he said. "No telling what might happen in the Pacers organization with the trades, and we might have a bunch of new players, so I have to be ready to step up."

------

I'm by no means a sunshiner, but I think there will be plenty of evolving players to root for this year. Especially after JO gets traded (which I think is inevitable personally), the opportunities for young folks to break out and lead will be exciting to watch.

Shade
07-13-2007, 06:43 PM
Shawne is the best shooter on this team, and has the potential to really do some damage this year.

Trader Joe
07-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Shawne WIlliams will probably end up better than Danny if I had to bet. Both will end up fine players, but Shawne just seems to "get" it.

Kegboy
07-13-2007, 07:18 PM
I sure hope Shawne and Army know something.

20 hours and 42 minutes, Larry!

idioteque
07-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Shawne has played well in Summer League. While that has never proven to be a foolproof indicator of good regular season play in the past, I'd rather be hearing about a strong SL performance as opposed to a weak one.

The real kicker is, can Shawne and Danny both be in the starting lineup together and coexist, or do they basically play the same position which will eventually lead to one of them being traded in a Harrington-2004 Offseason type scenerio?

Shade
07-13-2007, 07:25 PM
The real kicker is, can Shawne and Danny both be in the starting lineup together and coexist, or do they basically play the same position which will eventually lead to one of them being traded in a Harrington-2004 Offseason type scenerio?

Only if one of them whines about coming off the bench ala Al Harrington.

avoidingtheclowns
07-13-2007, 07:43 PM
i can't really imagine danny whining and shawne only played a handful of games so he doesn't deserve to whine. i think they're going to try playing them together at the 3 / 4

Coop
07-13-2007, 07:49 PM
i can't really imagine danny whining and shawne only played a handful of games so he doesn't deserve to whine. i think they're going to try playing them together at the 3 / 4

That would be terrible. Neither Granger or Shawne fit the PF position at all.

avoidingtheclowns
07-13-2007, 08:11 PM
well some of the things obie and shawne have said indicate that they want a perimeter 4. look at our lineup and apart from murphy who besides shawne would fill that role?

it might not be as bad, shawne i think has the potential to be more of a 4, like a shawn marion (i'm not really comparing the two but just how they might both play the 4) where as i think danny is truly slotted in at the 3. who knows... i'm not going to freak until i see that i doesn't work.

Hicks
07-13-2007, 08:19 PM
That would be terrible. Neither Granger or Shawne fit the PF position at all.

Despite the #s, I thought Granger looked better last year as a backup 4 than a starting 3 on many occasions. I think he can handle it, though of course that's not going up against starting 4's too often.

owl
07-13-2007, 09:41 PM
I sure hope Shawne and Army know something.

20 hours and 42 minutes, Larry!

Please explain as I am not sure what you are suggesting. Is there a deadline
coming up and what did Army say?

Kegboy
07-13-2007, 10:23 PM
As I said in the other thread, I'm talking about the forum party. We need something to talk about!

Shade
07-13-2007, 10:25 PM
As I said in the other thread, I'm talking about the forum party. We need something to talk about!

There's always the Colts... :devil:

Or :blazers:. ;)

LoneGranger33
07-13-2007, 11:25 PM
I think we are all overrating Shawne Williams at this point. He had some pretty ugly misses in summer league that made me cringe. The only thing that hurt my senses more, in fact, was the "Boo" Davis for "Snap" Hunter mistake which I had corrected.

idioteque
07-13-2007, 11:25 PM

I know, I know, but I'm talking beyond next year.

What if two years from now Danny is a 16 and 7 guy and Shawne is backing him up off the bench and putting up good numbers?

I don't care how selfless Shawne is and how long he's been in Indy practicing his game this summer, he'd be crazy not to want to the chance to start somewhere and the money that comes with that.

If he stays and decides to play that role, then great, I'll accept being wrong.

I'm just saying in the future it may be hard for Shawne and DG to coexist.

Hicks
07-13-2007, 11:28 PM
I think Shawne is getting a lot of pre-mature adoration around here. I like him, but nothing yet has me convinced he'll be as good as or better than Granger. The only reason IMO people are starting to think so if that last year you got to see Granger's weaknesses on display and you didn't see a lot of Williams to see his. For whatever reason, the further down on the Pacers' bench you are, the bigger the cult following you seem to get.

LoneGranger33
07-13-2007, 11:30 PM
I think Shawne is getting a lot of pre-mature adoration around here. I like him, but nothing yet has me convinced he'll be as good as or better than Granger. The only reason IMO people are starting to think so if that last year you got to see Granger's weaknesses on display and you didn't see a lot of Williams to see his. For whatever reason, the further down on the Pacers' bench you are, the bigger the cult following you seem to get.

I agree 98%. Also, could you imagine the bandwagon Travis Diener would accumulate?!

Young
07-13-2007, 11:38 PM
I think that Shawne has the chance to be a really good player. Maybe even good enough to get 18-20 points a night when he hits his prime.

But right now it is early to tell. This is only his second year, he is only like 21-22. So he still has a lot of years in him and he is still raw NBA wise.

I think that OB is a good coach for him. He should really improve defensively. Hopefully he uses him right on offense as well.

Shawne can shoot the ball. I think that what he needs to continue to work on that but he really should polish his ball handling and even passing. If he can get better in those 3 areas it will only be a matter of time before he starts to show what he can really do.

Saying Shawne will be better than Danny is pre matrue. Yes he can, he is very talented. But so is Danny. As Mal pointed out we just got to see Danny's weaknesses as he had to be our second best player and clearly he wasn't ready for that.

I think that Shawne will be a fine player in this league. A very good scorer.

avoidingtheclowns
07-13-2007, 11:41 PM
I know, I know, but I'm talking beyond next year.

What if two years from now Danny is a 16 and 7 guy and Shawne is backing him up off the bench and putting up good numbers?

I don't care how selfless Shawne is and how long he's been in Indy practicing his game this summer, he'd be crazy not to want to the chance to start somewhere and the money that comes with that.

If he stays and decides to play that role, then great, I'll accept being wrong.

I'm just saying in the future it may be hard for Shawne and DG to coexist.

yeah you're getting way ahead of yourself. as mal said, there are a lot of people jumping on the shawne bandwagon. i'm not entirely convinced he's going to achieve any more than he already has given us glimpses of last season. i've spoken with a few people that played him regularly in HS and they're convinced that other than developing more consistency that he's going to be an okay bench guy. i'm certainly not on the bandwagon but i'm also hoping they're wrong about shawne. if shawne develops and danny does too, then yes we'll probably have to make a decision down the line. but if they improve to the point that you suggest we should have a number of people lining up to trade for them so i wouldn't worry.

this is quite true. most of shawne's hype is expectation... at least danny showed us some consistency his rookie season. lets just see how shawne plays if/when given more minutes

wintermute
07-14-2007, 06:27 AM
at the time he was drafted, larry bird mentioned that shawne's eventual position would be the 4. i think there was some concern about his footspeed, which wasn't exceptional for a 3.

in any case, coach obie has made clear that in his system, the 3 and the 4 are almost interchangeable. so i'd expect we'll be seeing danny, shawne, and stephen graham (if he stays on the team) all spending some time at the 4.