PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong was just on 950AM - Thinks JO to be traded?

Tom White
07-13-2007, 04:46 PM
I hope someone else heard this, but it sounded to me like he said the Pacers were shopping JO. Rakestraw was asking him if he was going to come back next year, and he said something like "That kind of depends on the Jermaine trade, in the next couple of days or weeks". I can't quote exactly, but when he was done with his interview, Rakestraw and his sidekick were saying to each other "Did you just hear what I heard?"

Sure sounded like Army thought JO may well be on his way out.

Kegboy
07-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Well, they've got 23 hours and 8 minutes to get it done. Pull the trigger Larry!

bambam
07-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Well, they've got 23 hours and 8 minutes to get it done. Pull the trigger Larry!

probably stupid question, by is that Kegboy.

Swingman
07-13-2007, 04:57 PM

Why is that? can trades not occur after saturday?

Tom White
07-13-2007, 04:59 PM
I am really hoping they replay some of the interview later in the program. I swear it sure sounded like DA had been at least given a strong hint that the Pacers were trying to move JO. I mean I had to just stop what I was doing and try to listen closer.

Swingman
07-13-2007, 05:00 PM
I am really hoping they replay some of the interview later in the program. I swear it sure sounded like DA had been at least given a strong hint that the Pacers were trying to move JO. I mean I had to just stop what I was doing and try to listen closer.

Although there's a difference between trying and actually being able to. I'm not sure trying is new to us given that we thought the Pacers had offered him up to the Lakers already.

JB's Breakout Year
07-13-2007, 05:01 PM
It may just be that DA (and the rest of the team, for that matter if you read the bit on Shawne on espn.com) listens to what the ESPN writers say just as closely as the fans do. DA might just be speculating like all the rest of us....

Kegboy
07-13-2007, 05:02 PM
So we'll have something to talk about at the forum party. Duh.

I don't care if it is a bad trade. I just want to be saved from talking about Stanko and Lee Humphrey for 9.5 hours.

Erik
07-13-2007, 05:04 PM
i heard the interview, Rakestraw asked him if he was feeling good about being a pacer next year and he made the comment that he was waiting on the trade to get done to decide what he was going to do. he said that he is waiting to see what the point guard situation is like after the trade. the thing about it was i don't think that i heard him say the word "if" not once concerning the trade. seems like he is pretty sure of it.

NapTonius Monk
07-13-2007, 05:08 PM
So we'll have something to talk about at the forum party. Duh.

I don't care if it is a bad trade. I just want to be saved from talking about Stanko and Lee Humphrey for 9.5 hours.

Is Humphrey being tied to the Pacers somehow? Maybe a dumb question, but I hadn't heard anything.

Karmakillaz
07-13-2007, 05:09 PM
i heard the interview, Rakestraw asked him if he was feeling good about being a pacer next year and he made the comment that he was waiting on the trade to get done to decide what he was going to do. he said that he is waiting to see what the point guard situation is like after the trade. the thing about it was i don't think that i heard him say the word "if" not once concerning the trade. seems like he is pretty sure of it.

I also heard the interview. It could be that DA was just speaking unclearly or not really articulating what he was trying to say. However he did talk as if a trade was indeed certain and was going to happen, and did not qualify his statements with ifs.

One has to wonder how much the front office would share with a backup point guard not even currently on the team.

Unclebuck
07-13-2007, 05:14 PM
While it is interesting what DA said (although I didn't hear it) I certainly don't think there is any news - I think we all know he is going to be traded more than likely

Tom White
07-13-2007, 05:15 PM

Thanks for chiming in with that. I was getting worried that I had mis-heard him badly. You're right on the part I left out about the point guard situation.

I know Army was just sort of repeating what has been a rumor, but it is the first time a Pacer has commented on the matter in a way that makes you think he was privy to something.

Kegboy
07-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Is Humphrey being tied to the Pacers somehow? Maybe a dumb question, but I hadn't heard anything.

No, he signed with the Wizards. MTO promised we'd get to talk about him. :happydanc

Tom White
07-13-2007, 05:20 PM
One has to wonder how much the front office would share with a backup point guard not even currently on the team.

Maybe it wasn't TPTB who told him. Maybe he has a friend who "works stats" for the Fever.

OK, I'm just kidding there. But he could possibly have talked to JO. I don't know if players would share that kind of info or not.

Hicks
07-13-2007, 05:47 PM
I think this is somewhat news UB because I don't agree that it's a foregone conclusion JO is more than likely gone.

naptownmenace
07-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Maybe it wasn't TPTB who told him. Maybe he has a friend who "works stats" for the Fever.

OK, I'm just kidding there. But he could possibly have talked to JO. I don't know if players would share that kind of info or not.

He does have an agent and I'm sure he and/or his agent have asked TPTB about his probability of being with the team next season. They may have hinted to them that it depends on who they get in return for JO.

Then again his agent may be hearing things from other team's GMs as I'm sure he also represents other players around the league. Who's DA's agent?

Trader Joe
07-13-2007, 06:17 PM
I think this is somewhat news UB because I don't agree that it's a foregone conclusion JO is more than likely gone.

Agreed. But by the same token I'm not going to put a huge amount of stock in this. DA may have meant to say something like IF JO gets traded and it just slipped out the wrong way.

speakout4
07-13-2007, 06:17 PM
He does have an agent and I'm sure he and/or his agent have asked TPTB about his probability of being with the team next season. They may have hinted to them that it depends on who they get in return for JO.

Then again his agent may be hearing things from other team's GMs as I'm sure he also represents other players around the league. Who's DA's agent?
Maybe he just talks to JO on occasion.

Shade
07-13-2007, 06:24 PM
We're gonna get screwed. I can feel it.

btowncolt
07-13-2007, 06:25 PM

Can you start a "This management has quit" thread once the trade goes down since you won't like it either way?

Kegboy
07-13-2007, 06:26 PM

And how would that be different from any other day?

Shade
07-13-2007, 06:27 PM
And how would that be different from any other day?

TPTB haven't done much lately to prove me wrong.

Shade
07-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Can you start a "This management has quit" thread once the trade goes down since you won't like it either way?

Maybe if they quit sucking...

Kegboy
07-13-2007, 06:30 PM
TPTB haven't done much lately to prove me wrong.

Let me clarify, I wasn't talking about your feeling, but us getting screwed.

Kegboy
07-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Maybe if they quit sucking...

I think they need to improve mightily before they can reach the level of "suck".

Boy, ain't I gonna be fun at the party! :dance:

Trader Joe
07-13-2007, 06:35 PM
I think they need to improve mightily before they can reach the level of "suck".

I wish I could come. I'll be somewhere between Indy and Kansas City.

This is probably the most depressed I've ever been about the Pacers. A friend of mine asked me if there was any news on the Pacers and my response was Nope they still suck. The sun has gone from me.:buddies:

Oh BTW I want my freakin' cookie.

Shade
07-13-2007, 06:37 PM

Ah, in that case:

QFT

Kegboy
07-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Oh BTW I want my freakin' cookie.

Make it back in time for Perkin's and you'll get one.

In the mean time, :cookie:

Trader Joe
07-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Make it back in time for Perkin's and you'll get one.

In the mean time, :cookie:

I'll be going FROM Indy TO Kansas City. So that would be a bit tough...;)

Shade
07-13-2007, 07:26 PM
I'll be going FROM Indy TO Kansas City. So that would be a bit tough...;)

Sometimes, you just have to prioritize.

It's a FREE cookie.

LG33
07-13-2007, 11:39 PM
OH MY GOD! I finally put two and two together.
"DaSMASH" = Darrell Armstrong (or a close affiliate)

Also, I think Jason Williams was the one who robbed Antoine. Apparently, the backwards letters W, H, I, and T were imprinted on Antoine's forehead by the assailant. Oh, and he needs the money.

Y2J
07-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Kwame in town and Armstrong saying when, not if, J.O. is traded? Where there's smoke there's fire.....

Granger/Williams/Diogu/Bynum = the potential to be the best front court in the league in a few seasons.

Speed
07-14-2007, 06:52 AM
Later in the interview Rakestraw asked DA what he thought the team could do "as is" next year, if he came back. DA hesitated and kinda incredulously said "With JO?".

So I think in DA's mind it appeared JO is most likely gone since he had to clarify Rakestraw even meant "as is" this second with JO.

I swear DA talked like it was a done deal and it just hadn't been officially announced or all the details sorted out.

Side note, Rakestraw is completely looking at his notes or thinking of his next question and not actually paying attention to what is being said, imo, and never picked up on DA saying -waiting for the trade to be done in a couple of weeks or days. It took Rameka sp? to point out afterwards what DA said and Rakestraw STILL didn't get it.

Dude pay attention, throw a pertinent follow up question in there!! Terrible.

How about a "have you heard any rumblings on the trade front or do you think the team will change and why or whats the word down at Conseco or anything" DUDE PAY ATTENTION.

It would be like asking someone how they are doing, they say "terrible, just terrible", and you go "good good", hows work....

speakout4
07-14-2007, 07:46 AM

We are doing nothing this year to be competitive. No draft and no top free agent. Free agents going for the MLE are being by-passed by the pacers. This team is definitely in a re-building mode and not trying to stay competitive. It will be a while before we are looking to even get past the first round of the playoffs. Trade JO and reduce the cap seems to be the philosophy which is sensible. So we need to be patient because not only does this team lack players but the EC is getting stronger and even if we tried to compete with them we couldn't. We are looking at three years before we start to see the turnaround IMO.

IMO there should be a model as to how to become competitive again. The model can be the Bulls or the Heat. Clearly whatever model we choose will require first and foremost a GM who has a philosophy and knows what he is doing. We could also learn a great deal from McHale and Ainge's tenure in what not to do.

So the question I have for you is how fast do you want to be back because the sooner we are back competitively the less chance we have at being really good.

DisplacedKnick
07-14-2007, 08:47 AM

That's only been going for the past three years - the problem is, the Pacers have been doing that to themselves.

Shout Box Material Warning!

It's almost like at some point 3-4 years ago someone told DW or LB to perform a physically impossible sexual act upon themselves - and they've spent the ensuing time doing everything they can to oblige.

I don't think you've reached the point where you can say the Pacers are "totally _____ed, or even "well and truly _____ed". However I do believe you're in FUBAR territory with an option on the team being really "____ed up."

I'm SO sorry I can't make the forum party - first time in recent memory the Knicks are actually in better shape than the Pacers and I can't be there! I'm sure that state of affairs will revert to normal again by the next party.

In Isiah We Trust.

Mourning
07-14-2007, 01:12 PM
I'm SO sorry I can't make the forum party - first time in recent memory the Knicks are actually in better shape than the Pacers and I can't be there! I'm sure that state of affairs will revert to normal again by the next party.

In Isiah We Trust.

:lol:

SoupIsGood
07-14-2007, 06:32 PM
:(

OnlyPacersLeft
07-15-2007, 05:28 PM
uhg...yeah it is quiet which means the screw job could be on...uhg. If we don't get bynum and odom i'm going to hit the damn roof....why not try to BUILD AROUND JO...why just ship out your star for unproven and injured crap?

Naptown_Seth
07-15-2007, 05:45 PM
You can feel it because it's currently happening. Why are you using future tense, haven't you been watching the last year or so?

;)

Naptown_Seth
07-15-2007, 05:49 PM
How about a "have you heard any rumblings on the trade front or do you think the team will change and why or whats the word down at Conseco or anything" DUDE PAY ATTENTION.

It would be like asking someone how they are doing, they say "terrible, just terrible", and you go "good good", hows work....
QFT, very frustrating. Not a fan of Rake and this is one of the reasons.

Of course you could start a drinking game off the number of times JMV says "that being said" and its variants. :)

Roaming Gnome
07-15-2007, 06:01 PM
QFT, very frustrating. Not a fan of Rake and this is one of the reasons.

Of course you could start a drinking game off the number of times JMV says "that being said" and its variants. :)

The only reason for a local sports talk show on 950am was because Mark Patrick was such a tool. Since JMV has taken over, there is no need for Rakestraw's crummy show. The only reason his show was worth listening to this week is because JMV is on vacation and I don't really care to listen to that chump Ron Sexton talk about baseball and all other things "irrelevant".

Rakestraw just reminds me of the average Joe that had the oppertunity to host a local sports talk show, but doesn't have any skill to do so. IMHO...He is just horrible.