PDA

View Full Version : Spurs trade Butler, Scola for Rockets Spanoulis

Y2J
07-12-2007, 09:27 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA071207.WEBspurstrade.en.6be36230.html

Spurs trade Butler, Scola for Spanoulis

Greek guard acquired, but likely to stay in Europe Web Posted: 07/12/2007 07:04 PM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News staff writer The Spurs have agreed to trade center Jackie Butler and Argentine forward Luis Scola to the Houston Rockets for guard Vassilis Spanoulis, a future second-round pick and cash considerations, an NBA source said Thursday evening.
Spanoulis, who played sparingly for the Rockets last season, is expected to remain in Europe.
The Spurs don’t figure to spend much time on introductions when they open training camp in a little more than two months.
Hoping to keep intact the roster that won them last season’s championship, the Spurs re-signed guard Jacque Vaughn and forward Matt Bonner on Thursday. After center Fabricio Oberto also re-signs in the coming days, all 12 members of the team’s playoff roster will be under contract.
Bonner received a three-year contract worth about $9 million while Vaughn received a two-year deal totaling around $2.5 million.
Bonner, 27, averaged 4.9 points and 2.8 rebounds in 56 games after joining the Spurs a year ago in a trade that sent center Rasho Nesterovic to Toronto. His role could increase this season if the Spurs decide to continue cutting back Robert Horry’s minutes.
Bonner, who stands 6-foot-10, is the type of big forward with 3-point range team executives now crave during the league’s small-ball era. He quickly won over coaches and teammates – not to mention the Spurs’ fans – with his hustle and every-man personality, and appeared to carve out a spot for himself in the rotation before injuring his left knee midway through the season.
Vaughn, 32, replaced Beno Udrih as the team’s primary backup point guard because coach Gregg Popovich valued his hustle and toughness. He averaged 3.0 points and 2.0 assists in 64 games.
The Spurs also had interest in signing Detroit forward Amir Johnson, but he re-signed with the Pistons on Thursday.
jludden@express-news.net

Hicks
07-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Blockbuster.

tdubb03
07-12-2007, 09:29 PM
I remember a lot of Jackie Butler hype for a bit during his last year in New York. Guess that never panned out. Got a ring at least.

LoneGranger33
07-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Blockbuster.

Hahaha, jerk. I thought the Spurs were high on Luis. Guess I was wrong...

bulldog
07-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Well, if there's anyone who can make Spanoulis come over its the Spurs.

But apparently the dude just hated life stateside. More than just disliking Van Gundy and the NBA, he couldn't adjust to living in America. And he's very insistent he's not coming back.

Good for the Rockets they could get something out of it. Butler and Scola could both be decent role players.

diamonddave00
07-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Luis Scola is among the best paid players in Europe and has a very large buyout , he may never play in nba even though he has the talent to do so.

eldubious
07-12-2007, 10:03 PM
Houston has gotten their post player in Scola, now they won't need Diogu.

Slick Pinkham
07-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Luis Scola is among the best paid players in Europe and has a very large buyout , he may never play in nba even though he has the talent to do so.

His buyout used to be big but now it isn't.

If Houston can bring him over, they get a decent 4 and a 3rd string or backup C for a player who vowed never to play for them.

From 3 weeks ago:

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/06/24/luis-scola-spain-over-san-antonio/

Luis Scola Might Choose Spain Over San Antonio

Argentine power forward Luis Scola was a gentleman many expected to debut in the NBA next fall. The prognosis has, unfortunately, become more bleak.

The Spurs drafted Scola in 2002, but a prohibitive buyout for his Spanish squad Tau Ceramica (as well as no particularly strong need at power forward in SA) kept Luis abroad.

Scola's buyout is now cheap (relatively speaking), and Scola has talked often about wanting to prove himself in the League. His agent recently went so far as to ask the Spurs to trade Scola's rights if they weren't interested in bringing him to San Antonio. That statement and similar rumblings led many to believe the Spurs would trade Scola's rights in order to move up in the draft.

DraftExpress has a splash of cold water for us domestic Scola fans:

Teams thinking about trading a draft pick on Wednesday for Luis Scola should know that he is mulling over a 5-year contract offer for a ridiculous sum of 10 million Euros. After calculating taxes and the exchange rate, we figure Scola will be essentially signing a deal for the mid-level exception if he indeed decides to take it. [...] Scola reportedly loves playing in Spain and is a long-shot to ever make it over to the NBA.

The fallout if the report is true comes two-ply: Teams in need of a top-flight power forward in his prime need to look elsewhere, and San Antonio has an essentially worthless asset.

Slick Pinkham
07-12-2007, 10:38 PM
one of Scola's agents said last week that he wants to play here:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA070706.1D.BKNspurs.scola.1300a8f.html

Spurs officials made it clear after the season they likely wouldn't sign Scola because they didn't want to invest in another power forward, especially after signing Fabricio Oberto, Scola's friend, last year and trading for Matt Bonner two weeks ago. They also are unsure how well Scola would play next to Tim Duncan, given that both like to work out of the post.

"In the country of liberty, Luis is a prisoner," Claudio Villanueva, one of Scola's three agents, told Argentine newspaper La Nación. "The Spurs do not utilize him, neither do they want to yield him to another team and they impede him to play in the NBA."

Notice the last couple of lines of the story:

With the Spurs unwilling to sign him — and apparently unable to trade him — Scola said he would play for Tau.

"Luis is young; he is 26 years old," Villanueva told La Nación. "He can expect that next year he surely he will fulfill his dream."

----
he apparently hasn't signed his new Euro contract and has 3 days to decide if he will.

The moderator at Clutch City says a Rockets source tells him Scola will be a Rocket THIS YEAR

wintermute
07-12-2007, 10:54 PM
yup, it looks like it will be a win for the rockets

rockets apparently talked to scola (with spurs' permission) before doing this deal

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4964549.html

The Spurs permitted the Rockets to talk with Scola, 27, in recent days and although contract negotiations were not permitted, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey was confident that Scola was ready to make the move to the NBA.

``We're planning to sign Luis,'' Morey said. ``He's excited to play in Houston. We expect to see him in a Rockets uniform next year. Luis is very motivated to come to the league and is very motivated to play with Yao and Tracy.''

``The Spurs gave us permission to speak with him about three days ago and we had a long conversation. It was very positive on both ends.''

Teams are not permitted to make offers until the deal is complete, but the Rockets will likely have to offer between $3 million and $3.5 million for the first year. Morey would not discuss the parameters of the deal he has in mind.

good for the rockets. a new starting pf and a reserve big for spare pieces - not too shabby

Y2J
07-12-2007, 10:56 PM
Why would the Spurs trade his rights to a division rival if there was a good chance he'd be playing in the NBA in the near future? If he's what he's been built up as being, the Rockets just got a big steal and a great 3rd option.

wintermute
07-12-2007, 11:25 PM
yeah it's weird for the spurs. v-span isn't likely to play for them, so they're basically dumping butler (who they don't need) and getting back a 2nd rounder plus cash.

surely there were teams other than the division rival rockets who were willing to take on butler for the rights to scola?

Kstat
07-12-2007, 11:34 PM
yeah it's weird for the spurs. v-span isn't likely to play for them, so they're basically dumping butler (who they don't need) and getting back a 2nd rounder plus cash.

surely there were teams other than the division rival rockets who were willing to take on butler for the rights to scola?

doubtful. It was a luxury tax move, and there was probably a select list of teams Scola would have played for.

Skaut_Ech
07-13-2007, 08:55 AM
I actually look at this as a great move for the Rockets. One of their biggest problems over the past few years is having some explosiveness at the PF position and someone who can play some backup C besides Deke. I think Butler could really help them. He's big, he's a beast....and I don't think they have a roster spot for him. I've seen Butler compared to Amir Johnson and I think that's pretty valid.

I was looking for US to pick up Butler a few years ago. I think he's gone from one bad situation to another for him. People will argue that he doesn't play, so he must not be any good, but as a lot of you know, sometimes it's just a numbers game. An example of this is a guy like Matt Barnes, who's being discussed in another thread. Barnes got caught up in the numbers games for years, and it even took a wealth of injuries to GS for him to get some PT, but once he did....phew.

I think Butler is the same kind of guy. His problem is that he's pretty unpolished. Too bad, Houston probably won't use him unless they get hit by injuries again.

I've always followed the Rox cause I've always felt this kinship with the Pacers, for some reason, in how they play and their roster makeup. Nice to see them make a move to make thier rotation more solid.

DaSMASH
07-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Houston has gotten their post player in Scola, now they won't need Diogu.

They (Houston) had no interest in Diogu.....where do you guys get this BS from?

Seed
07-13-2007, 10:07 AM
If the rockets are really bringing in Scola from Tau, they have just hit the jackpot.

LoneGranger33
07-13-2007, 11:30 AM
They (Houston) had no interest in Diogu.....where do you guys get this BS from?

There was an Ike for the 26th pick rumor in the days leading up to the draft.

avoidingtheclowns
07-13-2007, 11:35 AM
There was an Ike for the 26th pick rumor in the days leading up to the draft.

but that rumor didn't come from smash, so it obviously was BS.

you may doubt that logic, but we'll be trading and cutting gerald wallace any day now... just you wait...

TripleThreat
07-13-2007, 01:30 PM
Well, if there's anyone who can make Spanoulis come over its the Spurs.

But apparently the dude just hated life stateside. More than just disliking Van Gundy and the NBA, he couldn't adjust to living in America. And he's very insistent he's not coming back.

Good for the Rockets they could get something out of it. Butler and Scola could both be decent role players.
Spanoulis went to JVG a couple seasons ago, and told him that he wanted more PT...his arguement? "In Europe, I was Tracy McGrady, here I'm on the bench."

JVG told him basically that the NBA already had a Tracy McGrady, and he needed to work on his game a bit more to be the first Spanoulis in the NBA....

He's a whiny little crybaby...and I doubt that he'll come over to sit on the bench for the Spurs, either...I'm not sure why the Spurs did this, especially to a division rival, but perhaps they know something nobody else knows. Maybe Scola has some rare allergy to the material that the NBA ball is made out of, and can't play or something...

idioteque
07-13-2007, 11:32 PM
I liked Jackie Butler last year and I thought he'd be a possible good low risk move for the Pacers.

But now that SA has resigned Matt Bonner and let this kid go, well I don't know anymore.

bulldog
07-13-2007, 11:52 PM
Spanoulis went to JVG a couple seasons ago, and told him that he wanted more PT...his arguement? "In Europe, I was Tracy McGrady, here I'm on the bench."

JVG told him basically that the NBA already had a Tracy McGrady, and he needed to work on his game a bit more to be the first Spanoulis in the NBA....

He's a whiny little crybaby...and I doubt that he'll come over to sit on the bench for the Spurs, either...I'm not sure why the Spurs did this, especially to a division rival, but perhaps they know something nobody else knows. Maybe Scola has some rare allergy to the material that the NBA ball is made out of, and can't play or something...

Where'd you get that story from? That's not what I heard at all.

Also, if that's true, I do have some sympathy for his argument, it's a hell of an adjustment. If he phrased it like that then of course he's being foolish, but I think its totally reasonable for some Euro's to have a problem adjusting to being role players. Many of the guys that have been successful as role players (Oberto, A. Parker, Garbajosa) were role players at some point for their club/national team (or at least not the primary scorer/ball handler). I still think that was Runi's biggest problem, he needs to have the ball in his hands all the time to be effective, and we had no reason to let him do that. But its not like its exclusive to Euro's, it happens to college guys all the time too, except they can't just pick up and go back to college.

And some guys, like Spanoulis, say screw it, I'd rather be the best in the second best basketball league in the world. And that ain't shabby, its sure a heckuva lot better than anything you or I could do. So I think "whiny crybaby" is a bit much. I also find it funny how so many Euros get crap for being total busts, but, except for a few wasted draft picks (which happens with all types of players), they don't really cost their team anything, because the contracts have thus far been extremely reasonable. And you can't say that for the Rashard Lewis' of the world. The Rockets are no worse off than before they signed Spanoulis (heck, after this trade, they're better off, I think).

Also, truehoop says that between contracts and cash in the deal, the Spurs got 9 mil, so not bad.

SamBear
07-14-2007, 03:28 PM
Hahaha, jerk. I thought the Spurs were high on Luis. Guess I was wrong...

Nope... just the Spurs fans... :(

bulldog
07-15-2007, 09:09 AM
And Houston signs Scola. That was fast. Apparently he's already taken the physical.

This according to the Houston Chronicle, you can check it out at hoopshype.com/rumors.

Seed
07-15-2007, 10:12 AM
And Houston signs Scola. That was fast. Apparently he's already taken the physical.

This according to the Houston Chronicle, you can check it out at hoopshype.com/rumors.
I still can't believe Houston got Scola just like that, not to mention they got him from a direct rival!!. Something just doesn't fit right here. Can anyone figure it out?

Kstat
07-15-2007, 11:28 AM
I still can't believe Houston got Scola just like that, not to mention they got him from a direct rival!!. Something just doesn't fit right here. Can anyone figure it out?

The Spurs wanted to sump Butler's contract and cut their luxury tax costs. Hosuton was the only team willing to bite.

Seed
07-15-2007, 01:31 PM
The Spurs wanted to sump Butler's contract and cut their luxury tax costs. Hosuton was the only team willing to bite.
But giving up Scola? Kstat you know international bball.. Scola is not someone you just hand out to your rival. 2 years from now SA might not be very happy to meet a front-court of Yao & Scola in the playoffs..

Kstat
07-15-2007, 01:50 PM
But giving up Scola? Kstat you know international bball.. Scola is not someone you just hand out to your rival. 2 years from now SA might not be very happy to meet a front-court of Yao & Scola in the playoffs..

Scola wasn't ever going to play for the Spurs. They were either going to deal him or he was going to come to the NBA on his own.

Also, they clearly do not believe Scola is that much of a threat, or else they would have brought him over instead of Oberto.

Seed
07-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Scola wasn't ever going to play for the Spurs. They were either going to deal him or he was going to come to the NBA on his own.

Also, they clearly do not believe Scola is that much of a threat, or else they would have brought him over instead of Oberto.
Well I've seen both in Tau and in world Champ's. Scola is more of a PF while Oberto is more of a C. In terms of talent, Scola is by far the better player. What your'e saying makes sense because Scola wouldn't take an eternal back-up role behind Duncan. However, I think the Spurs made a mistake and they will soon find Scola in the matchup against Duncan. Duncan is the better player, but Scola is... well let's just say they should have consulted Ginobili about it...

Kstat
07-15-2007, 02:08 PM
Well I've seen both in Tau and in world Champ's. Scola is more of a PF while Oberto is more of a C. What your'e saying makes sense because Scola wouldn't take an eternal back-up role behind Duncan. However, I think the Spurs made a mistake and they will soon find Scola in the matchup against Duncan. Duncan is the better player, but Scola is... well let's just say they should have consulted Ginobili about it...

I'm sure if they were convinced Scola was a cant-lose player, they'd have found a place to play him.

I agree Scola is probably the 2nd best player on Argentina besides Manu, but that doesn't always translate to the NBA (****ing Delfino).

Fool
07-15-2007, 02:15 PM
The Spurs' relationship with Scola has been getting rocky for the last 2 seasons. Scola saying the Spurs are purposely keeping him out of the NBA/not doing enough to get him over here. Spurs saying he doesn't fit their scheme.

Slick Pinkham
07-16-2007, 07:37 AM
San Antonio's logic explained: clearing salary space to sign Splitter after next season, basically:

http://blogs.chron.com/lopezblog/archives/2007/07/why_the_spurs_d.html

Why the Spurs dealt Scola for virtually nothing

Many of you have asked and talked about the peculiarity of the Spurs basically handing the Rockets an impact power forward and potential star for cash, a second-round pick and a homesick player (Vassilis Spanoulis) who won't be in the NBA again any time soon.

Well, they did do that.

But the Spurs weren't exactly doing it out of the kindness of their collective hearts.

It looks as if this was a deal that got the Spurs virtually nothing. In truth, they got a lot and continued to show why the organization is among the more forward-thinking in the league.

Originally the Spurs had a deal in place to send the talented Argentine, Luis Scola, to Cleveland. And by the way, I must say had they done that the Cavs could well have taken a huge step toward becoming an Eastern Conference dynasty, considering all their other parts.

When that deal fell through, the Spurs turned to their rivals to the west and helped make the Rockets a lot better. Trust me on that. I've seen Scola up close in the Olympics and love his game. He's better than the Spurs' Fabricio Oberto, but that type of player.

But the Spurs are not four-time title winners because they're dumb. In fact, it could be argued that eventually the Spurs will end up with more significant pieces as a result of this deal.

Ultimately, both teams will be happy. Here's why:

The deal began taking shape shortly after the Spurs decided to take Brazilian center (and Scola's current Tau Ceramica teammate) Tiago Splitter. This kid is a phenomenal prospect as well.

Splitter is a physical player who can score inside and from mid-range, measured 6-11 3/4 at the NBA pre-draft camp two years ago, has a 7-4 reach and is just 22, five years younger than Scola.

Splitter won't be able to buy out his contract until after the 2007-2008 season, which is what the Spurs were looking at when they dealt Scola.

The Spurs could have cleared some money to bring over Scola next season, but as they saw it Splitter was younger, better, a better defender and would cost about the same to sign as Scola.

By including Jackie Butler in the deal and putting in cash considerations, the Spurs will not have to pay Butler's $2.9 million salary next season, nor Spanoulis' $1.9 million. That allows the Spurs to clear a roster spot and be able to better afford signing athletic French big man Ian Mahinmi, their 2005 draft pick, and also free agent swingman and athletic Bruce Bowen-type defender Ime Udoka.

The Spurs' "generosity" helped the Rockets, no doubt. This will be a huge pickup.

But ultimately, Spurs fans are going to love this deal as much or more.

It's going to allow them to bring in the next Bruce Bowen, a project in Mahinmi whose athleticism has been compared to David Robinson's and a younger, taller, better Scola.

Seed
07-16-2007, 07:59 AM
The Spurs could have cleared some money to bring over Scola next season, but as they saw it Splitter was younger, better, a better defender and would cost about the same to sign as Scola.

It's going to allow them to bring in the next Bruce Bowen, a project in Mahinmi whose athleticism has been compared to David Robinson's and a younger, taller, better Scola.
First of all thanks for posting it, was interesting and cleared out the mystery.

I can see the logic there, but I also have seen a lot of Splitter lately, so I'm remaining doubtful. Splitter is surely a NBA level talent, and could certainly grow into a great player. But currently HE IS ONLY A PROSPECT. The Spurs are betting on a prospect and are sending their rival a proven player. Splitter has a lot to acheive before he becomes the player Scola already is. SA just placed a bet, and I'm betting they will regret it when they meet Yao & Scola in the playoffs.
As for bringing in the next Bruce Bowen & a David Robinson twin.. who knows?