PDA

View Full Version : These big names could be switching teams - FOXSports story

indyblue47
07-12-2007, 09:56 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7011270?MSNHPHMA

These big names could be switching teams
Mike Kahn
FOXSports.com, Updated 21 hours ago STORY TOOLS:

Despite everything you've heard over the past 10 days, with rumors and innuendo at an ear-splitting volume, that's nothing compared to what is about to transpire now that the NBA-imposed moratorium on contracts and new trades was lifted at 12:01 a.m.

The important numbers are these for the 2007-08 season: the salary cap is set at $55.63 million, the mid-level exception is $5.36 million and the luxury tax will be imposed at a dollar-for-dollar match when a team exceeds $67.865 million.
Granted, a lot of teams have come to verbal agreements with free agents, who became available to contact when the 2006-07 season officially ended at 12:01 July 1. But that's just part of what will happen.

Once upper-management and the coaching staff digest the new money situation, the dust will clear and all those trade rumblings that began around the June 28 NBA Draft will resume.

All-Star Ray Allen was traded from Seattle to Boston at the draft, and that could be just the beginning of an unusual summer when at least eight more All-Star players will have their names bandied about over the next 2 months before training camp begins.

With that much time left, we certainly haven't heard the last of Kobe Bryant's summer of discontent, nor the mixed feelings of Kevin Garnett and Pau Gasol, or just how badly the Indiana Pacers would like to get rid of Jermaine O'Neal. The same goes for the mercurial Ron Artest.

There is likely to be plenty of action out there, and we picked out eight major players in the NBA who have at least a decent chance at wearing different uniforms come this fall.

Having said that, let's break down the guys who have made the most noise thus far in alphabetical order:

Ron Artest, Sacramento Kings
Why: Not only could he opt out of his deal next summer, but let's face it, he's Ron Artest ... able to leap big buildings and destroy all that is good in a single bound. But because of his defensive presence, Kings president Geoff Petrie isn't about to abandon the idea of keeping him for rookie coach Reggie Theus.

Where: Teams with strong veteran leadership in need of a defensive presence and a scorer like the Miami Heat, New Jersey Nets, with both teams in L.A. also figuring to need his skill set.

When: It could happen anytime with Artest or not at all. Petrie is one of the best at dropping a trade on everybody when they least expect it. He is the ultimate conundrum for a coach and general manager he makes the team immediately better, but the law of diminishing returns is inevitable.

Chance of being dealt: 30 percent.

Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles Lakers

After all the hubbub, it looks like Kobe Bryant will be staying in L.A. (Lisa Blumenfeld / Getty Images)

Why: The leading man of Hollywood's team went off on a tirade after their playoff loss to Phoenix, attacking everyone in the organization from ownership on down demanding to be traded. Then he changed his mind. Then he changed his mind back. Gee, nobody would call Kobe a child throwing a fit, would they? Then last week he apologized to everybody, but still would prefer to be dealt.

Where: Chicago, New York and Golden State are the most likely destinations if only because they have a number of quality young players to create a deal. But even if it did happen, then those teams would be stripped of talent and would be in the reverse situation.

When: There probably is virtually no chance of it happening now, no matter how loud he screams. Nobody seems to remember how good the starters were early with a 30-19 start before injuries and a complete lack of depth sent them gasping for air down the stretch and into the playoffs last season. Therefore, Kobe isn't going anywhere via trade because the Buss family knows he's the only Laker who really plays in Hollywood.

Chance of being dealt: 5 percent.

Marcus Camby, Denver Nuggets
Why: Camby is 33 years old, injury prone and a highly tradeable commodity because he has three years left on his deal worth an average of about $8 million. Along with that, he is a perfect center for this era, averaging at least 10 points, 10 rebounds and 3 blocks in each of the past three seasons plus winning the blocks title the past two seasons and being named defensive player of the year in 2007. And the main reason may be the return of untradeable post player Kenyon Martin, he of the max contact and microfracture surgery on both knees.

Where: The Lakers have been talked about, and he would fit perfectly on the Warriors and Wizards to add a post presence for some defensively challenged teams that score a lot of points.

When: It's tough to tell how serious this is considering how much coach George Karl appreciates Camby's impact on a game, both as a player and leader. A lot of the buzz came about because of the luxury tax probability for this team, and they sorely need some perimeter shooting. He's a great piece to offer up to find a need ... but can they afford to lose him considering Martin and Nene's injury history?

Chance of being dealt: 20 percent.

Kevin Garnett, Minnesota Timberwolves

Will Kevin Garnett still be in Minnesota when the dust settles? (Nathaniel S. Butler/NBAE / Getty Images)

Why: With potential free agency looming next summer and back-to-back years in the lottery weighing heavily, word got out that the Wolves had finally begun listening to offers for K.G., and actually had made progress with a deal sending him to Boston. Word got out and he announced he wouldn't go, but would gladly go to Phoenix. That nearly happened at the draft, but Atlanta killed a potential multi-team deal. Nonetheless, he's out there now like never before.

Where: Phoenix, the Los Angeles Lakers, New York Knicks and New Jersey Nets all have the goods to lure the Wolves upper crust into parting with Garnett. So do the Dallas Mavericks, obviously. If the Wolves can't win with him, they are better off dealing him for some younger and versatile starters, free up cap space and officially rebuild instead of failing with him.

When: It may not happen this summer, but if he doesn't get coaxed into an extension, they'd be crazy not to work out some deal by the February trade deadline. He's 31 and his value won't go up after this year.

Chance of being dealt: 40 percent.

Pau Gasol, Memphis Grizzlies
Why: Gasol was particularly weary about the horrid 2006-07 season, the coaching situation and the knowledge that Jerry West was going to retire as president. He had no particular reason to feel emotionally tied to the city as attendance fell, and he liked the idea of going to a bigger city. That's his angle. Their angle is maximum salary that averages about $16 million. The franchise is bleeding out financially with a stunningly dwindling fan base, and he's not carrying this young group anywhere.

Where: The Bulls, Nets, Celtics and Warriors all need a 7-footer with his ability to score in the post. The Mavs may take a peek at him too. Actually, so do a lot of teams. The problem is he's weak defensively other than blocking shots but the good news he has gotten stronger every year and just turned 27.

When: The problem is 7-footers with his talent don't grow on trees, so they're not going to give him away. The talk has been constant with Chicago about Luol Deng plus Ben Gordon or Kirk Hinrich and another player. Perhaps the re-signing of Andres Nocioni makes somebody else expendable. Will the other teams pony up what the Grizzlies want? If things continue as badly as they've been for this team, he should be gone by the February trade deadline.

Chance of being dealt: 50 percent.

Richard Jefferson, New Jersey Nets

Richard Jefferson fits well with the Nets, but they might be better off moving him. (Al Bello / Getty Images)

Why: The Nets just re-signed Vince Carter, they seem to have decided on not dealing Jason Kidd, and they sorely need a post scorer ... so R.J. is the best trade bait. Yes, he's a good defender out on the floor and generally fits well with Kidd and Carter, but is he worth $14 million a year for the next four years? Not if they can get a player the quality of Garnett, Gasol or Jermaine O'Neal to score in the post.

Where: He's not going anywhere unless it is for a quality interior player such as the aforementioned trio. So that puts Indiana, Memphis and Minnesota at the top of president Rod Thorn's list. There was talk of Jefferson to Portland for Zach Randolph before the latter went to New York, but it never materialized.

When: Talk with Indiana was intense leading into the draft, but everything seems to have quieted down leading into the new salary cap. That doesn't mean it won't happen. The Nets are one trade away from being very serious contenders to win the East and Thorn is not one to sit on his hands.

Chance of being dealt: 60 percent.

Shawn Marion, Phoenix Suns
Why: With Steve Kerr now at the top of the personnel chain with coach Mike D'Antoni right on his heels, they are one move away from getting over the top before superlative point guard Steve Nash starts seriously breaking down physically. And even though Amare Stoudemire's name was prominent in the Garnett deal at the draft, Marion is the one most often discussed because of his salary and the looming luxury tax. A lot of people believe Marion is underrated and just as many believe he is overrated, and the perception is he's tired of being overshadowed by Stoudemire and Nash. A good small forward, he often becomes an exceptional power forward during the course of the season as the primary beneficiary of Nash's skills and D'Antoni's offense.

Where: Because of some of the moves already made in the offseason (Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis moving), not as many teams are interested in small forwards with huge salaries, and Marion can opt out of his deal next summer. Minnesota is still a possibility, Portland needs a small forward, so does Miami, and Cleveland needs to be active with some serious scoring questions to help LeBron James.

When: This is tough to gauge because he makes so much money. And every time the Marion rumors begin, D'Antoni contended he's not on the market which, of course nobody believed. But because of their unusual style and chemistry, they're not going to give him away now when the team has been so close to reaching the Finals. But if they are concerned about him walking next summer, and they are desperate by February, that would be the time.

Chance of being dealt: 30 percent.

Jermaine O'Neal, Indiana Pacers
Why: O'Neal has been breaking down the past four seasons, and he isn't a consistently dominant player so his value may actually equal his contributions, which is unusual in this situation. The Pacers have gradually fallen off the map the past three seasons and at least some of that is relative to O'Neal annually breaking down physically. There are those who believe he's damaged goods and prefers to take 17-footers and shies away from contact in the post.

Where: The two most likely candidates the Lakers and Nets, both of whom have had offers on the table for J-O. Is it possible the Pacers are overrating his value, or is president Larry Bird just playing possum? It's hard to fathom that Bird won't trade him, it just comes down to whom he gets and his track record hasn't been good.

When: With three years left at an average of more than $21 million, just how choosy should the Pacers be? Although it appeared the deal with the Nets for Jefferson and Nenad Krstic was the closest to getting completed, the Lakers are just as likely although there should be no way they include Lamar Odom. The Pacers should move him before the season, or his value may plummet from yet another injury.

Pacersin2033
07-12-2007, 10:47 AM
50%, what clearly this man is unfamiliar with Larry Bird. 10% is more likely when he loves a guy he loves him. The guy only traded saruans because he clicked the wrong box on Realgm.com

CableKC
07-12-2007, 12:45 PM
The guy only traded saruans because he clicked the wrong box on Realgm.com
:laugh: Good one.

Pau Gasol, Memphis Grizzlies
Why: Gasol was particularly weary about the horrid 2006-07 season, the coaching situation and the knowledge that Jerry West was going to retire as president. He had no particular reason to feel emotionally tied to the city as attendance fell, and he liked the idea of going to a bigger city. That's his angle. Their angle is maximum salary that averages about $16 million. The franchise is bleeding out financially with a stunningly dwindling fan base, and he's not carrying this young group anywhere.

Where: The Bulls, Nets, Celtics and Warriors all need a 7-footer with his ability to score in the post. The Mavs may take a peek at him too. Actually, so do a lot of teams. The problem is he's weak defensively other than blocking shots but the good news he has gotten stronger every year and just turned 27.

When: The problem is 7-footers with his talent don't grow on trees, so they're not going to give him away. The talk has been constant with Chicago about Luol Deng plus Ben Gordon or Kirk Hinrich and another player. Perhaps the re-signing of Andres Nocioni makes somebody else expendable. Will the other teams pony up what the Grizzlies want? If things continue as badly as they've been for this team, he should be gone by the February trade deadline.

I know its just speculation...but it's funny that the Lakers aren't included in the list of potential Gasol suitors. I keep on reading from Laker Forums that they would much rather get Gasol over JONeal for various ( with some that are valid ) reasons. I guess that the Grizzlies asking price must be too high....or better yet...aren't interested.

QuickRelease
07-12-2007, 12:48 PM
I really, really wish we'd do the New Jersey deal. Jefferson and Krstic for JO is a deal that I don't mind at all. I'm not that big on Bynum yet, but I don't think he'll be one of the greats when all is said and done. I think he'll be a very nice player, but it's hard for me to see Chamberlain, Russell, Shaq, or Walton.

CableKC
07-12-2007, 12:54 PM
I really, really wish we'd do the New Jersey deal. Jefferson and Krstic for JO is a deal that I don't mind at all. I'm not that big on Bynum yet, but I don't think he'll be one of the greats when all is said and done. I think he'll be a very nice player, but it's hard for me to see Chamberlain, Russell, Shaq, or Walton.
The only concern that I would have about trading JONeal to the Nets is that with the players that we get back....RJeff and Krstic...we aren't "rebuilding" ( like we would with any likely Kwame/Bynum....hopefully Crittenton...deal )...we are "reloading" for a run at the Playoffs. A Kidd/Vince/JONeal lineup would be pretty tough to compete...much less beat....in the East.

I know that it shouldn't matter where we trade JONeal....but I would much rather move him to the West...rather then the East...if we are still trying to "simply make the Playoffs". The only hope that I have is that we could possibly move RJeff to another team for a Non-Forward Starter.

Frank Slade
07-12-2007, 12:58 PM
50%, what clearly this man is unfamiliar with Larry Bird. 10% is more likely when he loves a guy he loves him. The guy only traded saruans because he clicked the wrong box on Realgm.com

FWIW, as of just under 4 weeks ago Montieth believed" Bird is done with him (JO), as he should be". Wells just a week or two ago, reitterated something similar that escapes me know. The jist being JO and Larry weren't carpooling to the office anytime soon.

While few know all of the facts of Larry and Jermaine's relationship, for all we know Jermaine could be in Larry's Fav 5TM..

Some however, could argue that his unwavering stance to stand behind Artest could have been perceived as choosing him over Jermaine ?
And that Artest was only moved after it was made clear via Artest and or Ownership that he had no other option.

Conspiracy Theory or Fact .. :spy: sorry to go OT...

RushToConclusions
07-12-2007, 02:21 PM
None of these people will be traded! Mark my words.

dgranger
07-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Javaris Crittenton, Andrew Bynum, and a future number 1 for JO. They wouldn't do that, but I'd love it.

JayRedd
07-12-2007, 02:39 PM
I know its just speculation...but it's funny that the Lakers aren't included in the list of potential Gasol suitors. I keep on reading from Laker Forums that they would much rather get Gasol over JONeal for various ( with some that are valid ) reasons. I guess that the Grizzlies asking price must be too high....or better yet...aren't interested.

For more conspiracy fodder....

LA also just drafted his little brother. And Memphis just signed a potential PF replacement in Darko.

Javaris Crittenton, Andrew Bynum, and a future number 1 for JO. They wouldn't do that, but I'd love it.

Is that supposed to be subliminal advertising?

Rajah Brown
07-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Personally, I'll be disappointed if they don't move J.O. this Summer
and at least quasi-rebuild. But this bull**** we keep hearing and
reading about him only wanting to shoot 17-footers and shying
away from physicality in the post is a crock.

Does he take too many fadeway 8 footers at times ? Ya, when
he's working 1-on-3 in the post after receiving an entry pass that
the defense saw coming a mile away. As for his wilingness or
lack thereof to mix it up, all these nimrods need to do is pop in
some tapes from the 1st half of the season last year.

When he was playing at 95% or better health-wise last year, J.O.
was a beast.

OakMoses
07-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Of the guys he mentions in the article, I think that JO and Artest are the most likely to be traded. Artest will come far cheaper than anyone else included, and there will always be some stupid GM willing to overlook character and grab for talent.

I also believe that JO will be traded. I think that it's clear that the Pacers have no chance at being a championship or even ECF contending team unless the makeup of the roster is changed. Over the past year they've brought in a potential replacement in Ike Diogu and brought in a coach who's offensive system is clearly not a mesh with JO's talent. Say what you like about the moves Bird has made since moving into the front office, but he's not a stupid man.

Traditional post-type players have never had any success under O'Brien. I know that a post-injury Webber is the only good one he's ever really coached, but Webber's numbers under O'Brien were terrible.

blanket
07-12-2007, 03:04 PM

Which "they" do you think wouldn't do that trade? Or do you mean neither team would?

Hicks
07-12-2007, 03:10 PM
None of these people will be traded! Mark my words.

Folks,

The "let's make another alias!" game has just gotten old and will be dealt with. Thanks.

- Management

Robobtowncolt
07-12-2007, 03:13 PM
Folks,

The "let's make another alias!" game has just gotten old and will be dealt with. Thanks.

- Management

Okay, but I would like to once again point out that mine is for practical reasons just in case I'm about to be dealt with. I have to heavily restrict the content of what the filters at work here can even sniff, but I don't care at home and don't want to have to constantly switch settings back and forth.

Hicks
07-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Okay, but I would like to once again point out that mine is for practical reasons just in case I'm about to be dealt with. I have to heavily restrict the content of what the filters at work here can even sniff, but I don't care at home and don't want to have to constantly switch settings back and forth.

No worries; I remember.

JayRedd
07-12-2007, 03:41 PM
I also propose a one-time, grand-fathered-in "Stanko exception" similar to that made for Allan Houston. Extenuating circumstances.

Kegboy
07-12-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't have my Treo anymore, so as long as people promise not to create any more Best Kegboy polls or nominate me and my sister for Best Couple then Robo can go away (just like BSG. :cry:)

Robobtowncolt
07-12-2007, 04:20 PM
I don't have my Treo anymore, so as long as people promise not to create any more Best Kegboy polls or nominate me and my sister for Best Couple then Robo can go away (just like BSG. :cry:)

I'm done at work in two weeks; once I figure out what's going on with the school computer network Robobtown can likely fade away like dust in the wind....

dgranger
07-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Which "they" do you think wouldn't do that trade? Or do you mean neither team would?
I ment the Lakers.

blanket
07-12-2007, 05:13 PM
I ment the Lakers.

If they miss out on KG and another WC team gets him (like Phoenix, GS, or Dallas), then I think they'd jump on that deal (JO for Bynum, Crittenton, 2008 1st, Brown). Question is whether TPTB would do it.

dgranger
07-12-2007, 05:27 PM
If they miss out on KG and another WC team gets him (like Phoenix, GS, or Dallas), then I think they'd jump on that deal (JO for Bynum, Crittenton, 2008 1st, Brown). Question is whether TPTB would do it.
Ya think? I wouldn't think theyd trade Crittenton. He's gonna be a nice player.

blanket
07-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Ya think? I wouldn't think theyd trade Crittenton. He's gonna be a nice player.

If we back off of requiring Odom, I find it hard to believe that including Crit would be a deal breaker for them. Afterall, acquiring JO would be a move intended to allow them to compete now (hence trading their future away in Bynum), so including another project with upside in Crittenton shouldn't affect their plans to compete for the title right now.

LAKERERIC
07-12-2007, 06:16 PM
You Pacer fans are right. The fair deal, in terms of the Lakers goal of possibly competing with the Suns and Spurs now, would be to add JO, but giving up Bynum, Crittenton, Brown, Cook, 2009 #1 for JO, Harrison. You guys get young PG and C to go with your very young and talented team. As a Laker fan, I can honestly tell you I am confused about whether to do the deal. If the Lakers think Bynum will be a 15-10-3 guy by year 4, and think really highly of Crittenton's talent, and believe he will develop fast, and they do not trust JO's health, then I think they may hold out on this deal and hope the young team, combined with the MLE and having good vets like Bryant, Odom, and Fisher will compete sooner rather than later. Maybe KG doesn't get dealt and opts out for the MLE to go to LA. The man certainly does not need the money and may have to ask himself the question of what matter more to him: 50 million dollars, or keeping the 300 million he already has and going to a team that has a chance to win, and all of those teams are over the cap.

Tom White
07-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Folks,

- Management

Gee, I hope that's not a...

RushToJudgement

Sorry Hicks, but I just had to say that. It's not me. It's the mad cow disease.

Kegboy
07-12-2007, 06:40 PM
(Wondering if I still have time to create a JumpToConclusionsMat.)

blanket
07-12-2007, 06:41 PM
You Pacer fans are right. The fair deal, in terms of the Lakers goal of possibly competing with the Suns and Spurs now, would be to add JO, but giving up Bynum, Crittenton, Brown, Cook, 2009 #1 for JO, Harrison.

At this point, I'd probably take that deal (although I might rather it be the 2008 #1, and McKie resigned for $3M/3 years with only the 1st year guaranteed plus $3M cash so we can just waive him without the salary hit).

Given that TPTB have pursued deals that feature established players (LO with Bynum, RJefferson with Krstic), however, suggests to me that they might not make such a deal.

Pacersin2033
07-12-2007, 06:46 PM
(Wondering if I still have time to create a JumpToConclusionsMat.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yhdyxTAhz3U

eldubious
07-12-2007, 09:54 PM
The reason the Pacers haven't took the NJ deal is because there is a deal on the table with LA. I don't believe the LA deal is dead, because the Pacers would have tooken the NJ deal by now. DW is enamored with Bynum, and asking for Odom may be a negotiating tactic to squeeze a future 1st out of LA. IMHO, a deal like the one NJ wanted from the Lakers (Kwame, Bynum, fillers) along with a future pick is being offered to the Pacers. Now, if Minnesota would trade KG already or state that he won't be traded, the sooner the LA/Pacer deal can be done.

SoupIsGood
07-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Wait so who was that?

LoneGranger33
07-12-2007, 10:54 PM
Wait so who was that?

Same Douche McCoo who's StankoLover216...and I think he's done for.

Kegboy
07-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Same Douche McCoo who's StankoLover216...and I think he's done for.

Thank god, I can't stand LG.

Oh, wait, nevermind.

Shade
07-13-2007, 07:29 PM
The reason the Pacers haven't took the NJ deal is because there is a deal on the table with LA. I don't believe the LA deal is dead, because the Pacers would have tooken the NJ deal by now. DW is enamored with Bynum, and asking for Odom may be a negotiating tactic to squeeze a future 1st out of LA. IMHO, a deal like the one NJ wanted from the Lakers (Kwame, Bynum, fillers) along with a future pick is being offered to the Pacers. Now, if Minnesota would trade KG already or state that he won't be traded, the sooner the LA/Pacer deal can be done.

I don't mean to pick on you, but it always makes me laugh when I hear people say that.

"Tooken." :laugh:

Anyway, I can live with a trade to the Lakers as long as we don't let them fleece us. Has to be Odom & Bynum & filler, AND a 2008 #1. Crittenton is not the answer.