PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Bird has found his shooter!

NashvilleKat
07-11-2007, 11:00 PM
In two summer league games Kareen Rush is 8 of 10 from 3-pt range...3 of 4 tonight and 5 of 6 his first game. Rush is shooting a combined 61% for the two games. Forward Andre Owens chipped in 23 points in 27 minutes tonight against New Jersey on 8 of 11 shooting. Our aggressive defense caused 31 NJ turnovers!! Played strong motion offense in racking up a 90-65 win. Maybe things will indeed be different this year with a different coaching staff utilizing a real motion offense and aggressive in-your-face defense.

Kstat
07-11-2007, 11:05 PM
...has anybody ever accused Kareem Rush of not being able to shoot?

GrangerRanger
07-11-2007, 11:10 PM
Lester Conner is our summer league coach.

I've said all along the Kareem Rush is our shooter. It's a good thing to, because we still have a MLE and a 4 million dollar trade exception ( aquired from the Golden State deal). So, maybe Bird can find two more shooters. On a side note, you won't be seeing anymore of Kareem Rush this summer league. He's sitting out the final two games because of a sore acl tendon.

Shade
07-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Summer league FTW! :lol:

Lord Helmet
07-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Summer league FTW! :lol:
:laugh:

BlueNGold
07-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Whoop T Doo. A young David Harrison was dominant a couple summers ago. I think Bo Outlaw scored something like 60 points in one summer game....while averaging 5 in the regular season. Ok, maybe a little hyperbole...

GrangerRanger
07-11-2007, 11:25 PM
David Harrison was actually dominent in the league a few years ago. Last year he was injured and wanted to play so bad that when he got into games he was giddy, therefore resulting in less mintutes and 90 fouls per 48 mintutes. If he comes back next year and gets some mintutes and learns how to control himself I look for a breakout season. His career is far from over.

Shade
07-11-2007, 11:28 PM
David Harrison was actually dominent in the league a few years ago. Last year he was injured and wanted to play so bad that when he got into games he was giddy, therefore resulting in less mintutes and 90 fouls per 48 mintutes. If he comes back next year and gets some mintutes and learns how to control himself I look for a breakout season. His career is far from over.

He won't. He's every bit the knucklehead that Artest is.

mohawk al
07-11-2007, 11:31 PM
I've heard that Kareem Rush's work ethic is questionable to say the least.

GrangerRanger
07-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Nah. Artest is a knucklehead off the court but performs like a Bruce Bowen/Paul Pierce hybrid on it. David is a good and decent guy off the court, but is a Lasalle Thompson/Malik Sealy(RIP) on the court. Big differance.

JayRedd
07-11-2007, 11:32 PM
David Harrison was actually dominent in the league a few years ago.

You're talking about the Big-12 I hope.

GrangerRanger
07-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Nah. I remember watching a stretch there of some 30 to 35 games where he was just a beast. Grabbing rebonds and sending down resounding slams, running down the under end and blocking shots out of bounds as he screamed his head off. That's the David I want to see more of.

Kstat
07-11-2007, 11:39 PM
Nah. I remember watching a stretch there of some 30 to 35 games where he was just a beast. Grabbing rebonds and sending down resounding slams, running down the under end and blocking shots out of bounds as he screamed his head off. That's the David I want to see more of.

...to the tune of 6 and 3?

Trader Joe
07-11-2007, 11:42 PM

You're talking about our David Harrison? The guy who likes to bong beers?

aero
07-11-2007, 11:42 PM
wish i could see one of the games but due to work i cant see any of the games :(

Young
07-11-2007, 11:47 PM
A lot of talk has been around Kareem Rush.

I know it is only summer league but Andre Owens has looked pretty solid.

Would anyone want him as the 3rd or 4th point guard? Replace Orien Greene maybe assuming Darrell Armstrong comes back Ownes would be the 4th point as long as we re-sign Keith McLeod or find another backup.

diamonddave00
07-12-2007, 12:01 AM
What I personally liked was the way Andre Owens played against Maurice Williams, who had put up big numbers in his previous 2 games. Owens outplayed him at both ends of the court . Its only summer league but today against a pretty good back up nba point guard Andre more than held his own.

denyfizle
07-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Kareem Rush is a far better shooter than DunDun that's for sure. OBTW Owens outplayed Marcus Williams in every aspect of the game.

PR07
07-12-2007, 12:31 AM
We can say it's just summer league, but the three point line doesn't change from summer league to the NBA. Maybe he won't get so many easy looks, bt he showed he can knock them down pretty consistently.

Oneal07
07-12-2007, 02:44 AM
Rush is crazy, There's a lot of hate on this pick up, but I don't care. too bad he's hurt right now. . mayb he played a lil too hard?

Harddrive7
07-12-2007, 08:18 AM
Whoop T Doo. A young David Harrison was dominant a couple summers ago. I think Bo Outlaw scored something like 60 points in one summer game....while averaging 5 in the regular season. Ok, maybe a little hyperbole...

IMO, summer league is equivalent to a contract year.

you're always going to get their best.

RWB
07-12-2007, 08:55 AM
We can say it's just summer league, but the three point line doesn't change from summer league to the NBA. Maybe he won't get so many easy looks, bt he showed he can knock them down pretty consistently.

Makes perfect sense to me. Maybe his shot goes bye bye when the competition heats up, but how many guys do you see can't hit an open shot even in summer league.

I won't get too excited, but there is nothing wrong with encouraging signs even if it's summer league.

FlavaDave
07-12-2007, 09:07 AM
...has anybody ever accused Kareem Rush of not being able to shoot?

No, but many have accused Kareem Rush of not being the mythical shooter that Bird alluded to earlier.

GrangerRanger
07-12-2007, 12:00 PM
I dunno what that means, Flava. With our current situation there is not way we can get a *mythical* shooter. Seriously. All the haters of Larry Bird and Donnie Walsh couldn't even get a shooter with this franchise currently (if they were in office). The only way we get a shooter is if we traded O'neal and JB wants to keep him.

"We will get a good shooter," Bird said. "We'll get one of the top shooters in the league. It might not be the biggest name in the league but we will get a guy that can shoot the basketball. We can go either way (either by acquiring a draft pick or a veteran) but we will get a shooter." Larry never even alluted to getting a franchise, savior, god, mythical shooter. Kareem Rush isn't the biggest shooter on Earth and thats what we get. Now it's time for a backup pointguard. Gawd, some of you are *removed*

JayRedd
07-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Larry Bird did not hold a big press conference announcement about "Getting one of the best shooters in the League" and then sign someone to a one-year, minimum salary to fulfill that statement.

I don't know if we ever will get "one of the best shooters in the League" this summer or if Larry was just blowing smoke up our ***, but I do not believe for a second that he was referring to pulling a guy out of Greece.

Kareem happens to be a pretty good shooter and we did sign him somewhat near when Bird said that, so I can understand the speculation, but this can't be the guy he was talking about. He was either referring to someone specific that another team offered too much money (Kapono, Carroll), someone he is targetting in a trade or in a piece of a trade, or some unspecified person that they hope to trade for before November. Or, again, he was just blowing smoke up the *** of a disillusioned fanbase.

But I can't believe he was talking about Kareem Rush, as much as a lot of yall like swinging from this guy's nutsack.

QuickRelease
07-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Larry Bird did not hold a big press conference announcement about "Getting one of the best shooters in the League" and then sign someone to a one-year, minimum salary to fulfill that statement.

I don't know if we ever will get "one of the best shooters in the League" this summer or if Larry was just blowing smoke up our ***, but I do not believe for a second that he was referring to pulling a guy out of Greece.

Kareem happens to be a pretty good shooter and we did sign him somewhat near when Bird said that, so I can understand the speculation, but this can't be the guy he was talking about. He was either referring to someone specific that another team offered too much money (Kapono, Carroll), someone he is targetting in a trade or in a piece of a trade, or some unspecified person that they hope to trade for before November. Or, again, he was just blowing smoke up the *** of a disillusioned fanbase.

But I can't believe he was talking about Kareem Rush, as much as a lot of yall like swinging from this guy's nutsack.

I don't see that press conference as centering around that statement. It came up during the flow of the media discussion, but it's not like he called a press conference to announce they're getting a shooter. It's more that he was acknowledging working to meet one of our biggest flaws. He probably over-hyped his acquisition direction, so that now whomever he selects comes into the spotlight of being viewed as one of the league's better shooters.

Oneal07
07-12-2007, 12:59 PM
^^ LOL, for real. Rush is nyce. . .It might not even be Kapono, or a Reggie Miller, But he can shoot. . .you never know, me might even have a career year this year, similar to what Mike James did in Toronto two years ago!!

Naptown_Seth
07-12-2007, 01:22 PM
David was never dominant in summer league. He had a great game against a weak Bogut. You know who else had a good game that day? Jon Edwards. Perspective.

Rush is obviously making the squad and will probably get 15-20 minutes at SG this season based on what he's shown. As KStat pointed out, has anyone ever said Rush couldn't shoot? All we needed to see in summer league is that he still had it, could move with the ball, and was willing to work hard in general. Otherwise he was an obvious fit for a team in dire need of a outside shooting backcourt player.

This is not a sign that the season is going to go well, this is a sign that the Pacers are in a tough spot. And I don't mean that in an anti-Rush way, I pointed out elsewhere that if he just does his role in the JOB system and shoots it moderately well that he will be in the running for comeback player of the year (perhaps even MIP). But that doesn't imply greatness or a solution, it only requires modest success from him.

He could be the difference between 30 wins and 35 wins.
:dance: i guess

Naptown_Seth
07-12-2007, 01:40 PM
On Owens, I haven't been all that impressed myself. Perhaps this was as much a sign that Marcus isn't quite the be-all, end-all stud PG he was supposed to be when the Pacers passed on him. He was a bit TO prone his first year, and obviously isn't an NBA caliber shooter yet.

The fact is that we know that 90% of these guys won't be on teams next year. So the question is never "did he put up numbers", the question is "did he FAIL to put up numbers".

Brewer was in position to be the #2 PG for the Pacers. He came into summer and simply had to play his way into that spot. It was his chance to be better than all the other scrubs out there. Instead he failed and was cut by the Pacers, basically going out of the league right then.

Summer matters, just not in the direction some people think. It won't get a top pick cut and it also won't get a lifetime scrub a big minutes gig.

IMO what teams are looking for is one or two specific parts to a players game, and those aspects might not really gel with the slop ball that is summer league, so you can't always tell by box score results.

But with Rush for example, he was asked to spot up, drop 3s, show some dribble drive from the wing...things he will be asked to do specifically for the JOB Pacers this season. He did those things well. Test over, welcome to camp and very likely the roster (he gets cut if those aspects go invisible in camp ala James White).

Shawne has been asked to do a couple of things - be a PF in a more traditional sense, and then for other stints to play his more comfortable face up SF role but with an added dribble drive. Neither has been all that effective which says that he's not going to be the answer this year, at least in NOV-DEC. He's still learning.

To me summer ball is very helpful when you keep the questions in the proper perspective.

And with that in mind let's again reflect on Harrison. In that Bogut game he got TECH'D UP for hanging on the rim and bringing attitude. In summer league. That said it all. Being big and strong at the rim, being able to block shots on a softer, rookie big...those weren't the questions on David.

Controlling his attitude was in question, limiting fouls was his question. And on both counts he failed that summer. He had something like 5 summer league techs. So summer told us that he still wasn't ready to take the next step after all, not that he was going to rip up the league.

ABADays
07-12-2007, 01:46 PM
I didn't see any reason for people to rain on Nashville's post. For crying out loud, he was trying to bring a little optimism about a situation where there hasn't been much. Sometimes I don't get some of you.

naptownmenace
07-12-2007, 01:52 PM
On Owens, I haven't been all that impressed myself. Perhaps this was as much a sign that Marcus isn't quite the be-all, end-all stud PG he was supposed to be when the Pacers passed on him. He was a bit TO prone his first year, and obviously isn't an NBA caliber shooter yet.

The fact is that we know that 90% of these guys won't be on teams next year. So the question is never "did he put up numbers", the question is "did he FAIL to put up numbers".

Brewer was in position to be the #2 PG for the Pacers. He came into summer and simply had to play his way into that spot. It was his chance to be better than all the other scrubs out there. Instead he failed and was cut by the Pacers, basically going out of the league right then.

Summer matters, just not in the direction some people think. It won't get a top pick cut and it also won't get a lifetime scrub a big minutes gig.

IMO what teams are looking for is one or two specific parts to a players game, and those aspects might not really gel with the slop ball that is summer league, so you can't always tell by box score results.

But with Rush for example, he was asked to spot up, drop 3s, show some dribble drive from the wing...things he will be asked to do specifically for the JOB Pacers this season. He did those things well. Test over, welcome to camp and very likely the roster (he gets cut if those aspects go invisible in camp ala James White).

Shawne has been asked to do a couple of things - be a PF in a more traditional sense, and then for other stints to play his more comfortable face up SF role but with an added dribble drive. Neither has been all that effective which says that he's not going to be the answer this year, at least in NOV-DEC. He's still learning.

To me summer ball is very helpful when you keep the questions in the proper perspective.

And with that in mind let's again reflect on Harrison. In that Bogut game he got TECH'D UP for hanging on the rim and bringing attitude. In summer league. That said it all. Being big and strong at the rim, being able to block shots on a softer, rookie big...those weren't the questions on David.

Controlling his attitude was in question, limiting fouls was his question. And on both counts he failed that summer. He had something like 5 summer league techs. So summer told us that he still wasn't ready to take the next step after all, not that he was going to rip up the league.

That's the best post I've ever read regarding Summer League performances. If they were useless games, why do more and more teams continue to join them each year?

Mourning
07-12-2007, 01:58 PM
I aggree ABADays.

RushToConclusions
07-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Larry Bird did not find his shooter! Mark my words.

JayRedd
07-12-2007, 02:26 PM
it's not like he called a press conference to announce they're getting a shooter. It's more that he was acknowledging working to meet one of our biggest flaws. He probably over-hyped his acquisition direction, so that now whomever he selects comes into the spotlight of being viewed as one of the league's better shooters.

Well, you're probably right.

Kareem Rush is a good shooter. It was a good pickup. That is clear.

I just don't believe we're putting him on the court for much more than 15 mpg. So the promising idea that he can shoot needs to be prefaced somewhat by the fact that his other skills are not really good enough to keep him on the court long enough for his good shooting to have a true impact on our team's success. (Unless we're a sub-30 win team, which I suppose isn't out of the question at this point.)

And, honestly, it doesn't bother me in particular when our front office guys run their mouth in the paper and overstate things because I don't really take much of what they say seriously anyway. But saying things like "one of the best shooters in the league" is of course going to hype up people's expectations. Maybe Bird misspoke, but people are still going to be upset when the coming acquisitions don't match what they were told.

It's like your parents telling you they're going to buy you a brand new Passat for your birthday, and then you wake up that morning and they hand you the keys to a 2003 Jetta. The Jetta is still a pretty nice car that you would have been perfectly happy with a week ago and value-wise it was probably the better option, but you're still gonna be a little bummed out that there's no 2008 Passat waiting for you in the driveway.

Hicks
07-12-2007, 02:54 PM
This was originally posted by FlavaDave just before the start of Page 2 of this thread, but when the post needed to be edited it could not be because of code that seems to have been poorly pasted in the original post. Therefore, I'm pasting everything but what was to be edited here for the record:

Okay.

First off, Donnie Walsh is my avatar, so it would be a stretch to say that I'm a front office hater. Dig up a single post I've ever made on PD that is in any way shape or form critical of Donnie or Bird. I'll wait.

I was not taking a dig at Bird in any way.

Second, the reason 'the shooter' is mythical is because he don't exist yet. Bird said he would get 'one of the best shooters in the league', and I doubt Rush was the guy he was specifically referring to.

Third, I was clarifying a point for KStat. He seemed to be questioning the fact that the poster was surprised about Rush's ability to shoot at all. But I think the poster was either a) trying to make a case that Rush was indeed the shooter Bird referred to in the press conference, or b) Rush could make the search for that guy moot because he is good enough on his own. I was just helping to tie in the thread with the comments Bird made earlier.

Hicks
07-12-2007, 02:56 PM
I aggree ABADays.

+1

FlavaDave
07-12-2007, 03:03 PM
This was originally posted by FlavaDave just before the start of Page 2 of this thread, but when the post needed to be edited it could not be because of code that seems to have been poorly pasted in the original post. Therefore, I'm pasting everything but what was to be edited here for the record:

Thanks.

Sorry about that. In Firefox 2, you can hold ctrl-alt while you click a word to bring up the definition of a word. I used the feature to try and pull the technical definition of 'mythical', but it didn't work.

PD has a cool feature where it pulls and interprets embedded html, but it worked against me because it automatically pulled the Ask.com information. I tried to edit it, but as Hicks found out it doesn't work for some reason.

Cheers :buddies:

Naptown_Seth
07-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Well, you're probably right.

Kareem Rush is a good shooter. It was a good pickup. That is clear.

I just don't believe we're putting him on the court for much more than 15 mpg. So the promising idea that he can shoot needs to be prefaced somewhat by the fact that his other skills are not really good enough to keep him on the court long enough for his good shooting to have a true impact on our team's success. (Unless we're a sub-30 win team, which I suppose isn't out of the question at this point.)

And, honestly, it doesn't bother me in particular when our front office guys run their mouth in the paper and overstate things because I don't really take much of what they say seriously anyway. But saying things like "one of the best shooters in the league" is of course going to hype up people's expectations. Maybe Bird misspoke, but people are still going to be upset when the coming acquisitions don't match what they were told.

It's like your parents telling you they're going to buy you a brand new Passat for your birthday, and then you wake up that morning and they hand you the keys to a 2003 Jetta. The Jetta is still a pretty nice car that you would have been perfectly happy with a week ago and value-wise it was probably the better option, but you're still gonna be a little bummed out that there's no 2008 Passat waiting for you in the driveway.
Wait, are you trying to tell me I won the Pacers Camero? :dance: Just don't tell RWB.

DaSMASH
07-13-2007, 09:23 AM
In two summer league games Kareen Rush is 8 of 10 from 3-pt range...3 of 4 tonight and 5 of 6 his first game. Rush is shooting a combined 61% for the two games. Forward Andre Owens chipped in 23 points in 27 minutes tonight against New Jersey on 8 of 11 shooting. Our aggressive defense caused 31 NJ turnovers!! Played strong motion offense in racking up a 90-65 win. Maybe things will indeed be different this year with a different coaching staff utilizing a real motion offense and aggressive in-your-face defense.

ITS 4 games in a summer league.....why do you think he was playing overseas last year?

Kareem Rush does not fix the problems for Larry Bird or the Indiana PAcers, however it does put money in KAreems pocket...so his problems are fixed. Now its really up to him to bust his butt and prove that he belongs in the NBA.

NashvilleKat
07-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Reportedly the agent for Mo Williams said yesterday that he has had numerous conversations with the Pacers about a trade for Mo. Maybe he's the guy we're really after.

OnlyPacersLeft
07-13-2007, 10:18 AM
man I'm really starting to like kareem rush....this man is going to be a scorer for us! which is what we need....I don't thinki can stomach brick after brick from dunleavy and murphy launching 3's with that horrible shot he has...

ABADays
07-13-2007, 12:37 PM
man I'm really starting to like kareem rush....this man is going to be a scorer for us! which is what we need....I don't thinki can stomach brick after brick from dunleavy and murphy launching 3's with that horrible shot he has...

I could say you have made a rush to judgement in both scenarios. Rush might be something - we'll soon see. I don't know about Murphy but I think you will see a different Dunleavy this year.

Doddage
07-13-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm all for keeping Owens and Graham and also giving them some playing time.

DisplacedKnick
07-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Love this thread - Demetrius Nichols is shooting 50% from 3 in summer league so far in 14 attempts. Can it be?

THE KNICKS HAVE FOUND THEIR SHOOTER!!!

Speed
07-13-2007, 01:44 PM
it's right summer means nothing, we'll see how things go if Kareem, first makes the team, second gets to play, third gets to play enough to have an impact.

Good thing is he can shoot pretty well and the team needs shooters at the position he plays. He has been a productive NBA player in the past so its not impossible to think he could be again and he is not old. So to assume he's a joke or to assume he is a rotation guy at this point is ridiculous.

I would say this though, its a no lose situation.

avoidingtheclowns
07-13-2007, 02:30 PM
Love this thread - Demetrius Nichols is shooting 50% from 3 in summer league so far in 14 attempts. Can it be?

which they plan on sending to europe for next year, no?

RWB
07-13-2007, 03:12 PM

Not surprising at all as I'll assume you find shooters on the streets of New York everyday. :D

Anthem
07-13-2007, 03:23 PM
Reportedly the agent for Mo Williams said yesterday that he has had numerous conversations with the Pacers about a trade for Mo. Maybe he's the guy we're really after.
Got a link on this?

BlueNGold
07-13-2007, 11:46 PM
I didn't see any reason for people to rain on Nashville's post. For crying out loud, he was trying to bring a little optimism about a situation where there hasn't been much. Sometimes I don't get some of you.

You have a great point. We should try to be more optimistic. We need to clean that old slate off once again for a new season.

DisplacedKnick
07-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Not surprising at all as I'll assume you find shooters on the streets of New York everyday. :D

Maybe, but it seems that the ones on the Indianapolis streets play for their NBA franchise.

DisplacedKnick
07-13-2007, 11:55 PM
which they plan on sending to europe for next year, no?

Thank you for emphasizing my point so succinctly.

Yes, summer league performances are indeed meaningless.

LoneGranger33
07-14-2007, 12:00 AM
Maybe, but it seems that the ones on the Indianapolis streets play for their NBA franchise.

:applaud: Despite the smile on that yellow face, I applaud you grudgingly. That was cold. :)

jmoney2584
07-14-2007, 08:38 PM
I was boffing around on YouTube and i came acorss this video...pretty sweet and hillarious. I present the warrior....Kareem Rush. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip73yS64eac

Tom White
07-14-2007, 09:12 PM
I was boffing around on YouTube and i came acorss this video...pretty sweet and hillarious. I present the warrior....Kareem Rush. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip73yS64eac

Obviously whoever put together that youtube bit was not going to show any missed shots, but here is what I noticed more than anything else.

After every made shot, what did he do?

No posing.
No chest thumping.
No stare downs.

He simply got his butt down the court and got ready to play defense.

That is what stood out to me.

DisplacedKnick
07-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Obviously whoever put together that youtube bit was not going to show any missed shots, but here is what I noticed more than anything else.

After every made shot, what did he do?

No posing.
No chest thumping.
No stare downs.

He simply got his butt down the court and got ready to play defense.

That is what stood out to me.

That is such a sad reflection on the state of the NBA that I don't think I know how to respond - that someone actually playing basketball rather than showboating stands out.

Naptown_Seth
07-16-2007, 04:51 AM
JOB is the Pacers coach.
Quis is the Pacers main SG, Dun is his out of position backup.
Check their 3P% the last 2 years.

Math over, Rush has a spot with the Pacers. The only way he didn't is if he failed miserably in Orlando. Sure it's dumb to see him fixing problems, but he is getting plenty of PT unless something drastic changes.

Slick Pinkham
07-16-2007, 07:49 AM
a fantasy hoops site, rotoworld, has Rush as on of their sleeper picks, and POTENTIAL STARTER:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NBA&columnid=38&articleid=28510

Kareem Rush - Indiana Pacers

The Pacers quietly signed shooting guard Kareem Rush last week, and while he's not likely to be a savior for the Pacers, he could play a huge role for a team desperately seeking outside shooting since No. 31 called it a career a few years back. Rush has got an excellent chance to start alongside Jamaal Tinsley, as Mike Dunleavy looks more and more like a career bench player with every year that passes. If Rush has a good training camp, his value will continue to climb, but as of now, he should be a perfect sleeper candidate at the end of your draft. He can bury open threes and put the ball on the floor and drive, as well. He's never really lived up to the hype in his four-year career, but this could be the season he averages 16 points a game and feasts behind the arc.

Did Bird sent this writer some blue and gold Kool-Aid?