PDA

View Full Version : Darko to Grizz for more than MLE...

bulldog
07-11-2007, 10:20 PM
Free-agent center Darko Milicic (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3705) agreed in principle to a three-year contract with the Memphis Grizzlies (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=mem) on Wednesday, the player's agent Marc Cornstein told ESPN.com Insider Chad Ford.
Cornstein refused to disclose the amount of the deal, but the starting salary is believed to be for substantially more than the $5.3 million mid-level exception...
Milicic should address the Grizzlies' biggest offseason need -- adding a center to play with Pau Gasol (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3513). His game appears to complement Iavaroni's up-tempo system.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2933472

Tough to make a call without the details of the contract. They have to overspend cause of how their team is positioned right now, but maybe too much. In the summer of Rashard signing for the max, however, everything looks reasonable.

Darko + Pau up front is a long front line, they'll get a lot of blocks/deflections but they'll get killed by stronger front lines.

LG33
07-11-2007, 10:24 PM
NooOoOooOOoOooOoOoOooo

Kstat
07-11-2007, 10:25 PM
:lmao:

gng930
07-11-2007, 10:36 PM
Darko wanted 10mil, the Griz are under cap by 8 (after signing Conley) and really don't have any other needs to fill.

Darko
Gasol
Gay
Miller
Conley

I agree that they're prone to stronger frontlines, but it's built to run as well as guard against an uptempo offense. That frontline will get A LOT of blocks and there's 2 potential lockdown defenders on the perimeter. Nice mix on offense - low post, high post, slasher, shooter, distributor. Not to mention a young, energetic, and athletic bench - Swift, Johnson, Warrick.

Also - Whitest. Twin towers. Ever.

GrangerRanger
07-11-2007, 10:56 PM
How about Willy Walker and Bill Walton?

JayRedd
07-11-2007, 11:02 PM
If it's like 3/$25 million that's a great deal for Memphis. You're paying a little bit to see what you have, but you can't get yourself in trouble if it's only three years and he never shows anything. If he blows up, you offer him an extension or at least are the best positioned to resign him at the end of the deal.

Roy Munson
07-12-2007, 12:16 AM
How about Willy Walker and Bill Walton?

Who is Willy Walker?

Are you talking about WALLY Walker? If so, he was hardly a tower. He was a 6-7 forward.

Speed
07-12-2007, 08:27 AM
i gotta say this all seems like the worst summer of overspending acorss the board. Paying max to guys who aren't max players and won't even be close to that by the end of the contract. Paying one dimensional or role players too much money. I'm trying to think of one good contract I've seen at team give someone, honestly.

No doubt these guys are good players, but the teams are basically saying, in most cases that these are the guys we are riding with. I like it for the Pacers, but it all reeks of desperation.

This completely keeps teams from really improving in the future. Not saying the Darko deal fall in this category, but if he's getting over the MLE, it's over paying.

Many always says, what do we care how much teams spend, and I agree. However, if it means you're done getting better because you have money constraints and all you've done is become kinda good, then its careless and again desperate.

Just my opinion. I can't think of one of these moves from Zach Randolph, Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, Any of them and think ya thats a championship move. I guess I like the Grant Hill move, whats that tell ya.

Fool
07-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Ivory towers.

ilive4sports
07-12-2007, 09:55 AM
i gotta say this all seems like the worst summer of overspending acorss the board. Paying max to guys who aren't max players and won't even be close to that by the end of the contract. Paying one dimensional or role players too much money. I'm trying to think of one good contract I've seen at team give someone, honestly.

No doubt these guys are good players, but the teams are basically saying, in most cases that these are the guys we are riding with. I like it for the Pacers, but it all reeks of desperation.

This completely keeps teams from really improving in the future. Not saying the Darko deal fall in this category, but if he's getting over the MLE, it's over paying.

Many always says, what do we care how much teams spend, and I agree. However, if it means you're done getting better because you have money constraints and all you've done is become kinda good, then its careless and again desperate.

Just my opinion. I can't think of one of these moves from Zach Randolph, Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, Any of them and think ya thats a championship move. I guess I like the Grant Hill move, whats that tell ya.

The Bobcats signing Gerald Wallace to a 6 year/ $57 mil contract was the only good one IMO.

avoidingtheclowns
07-12-2007, 10:03 AM
The Bobcats signing Gerald Wallace to a 6 year/ $57 mil contract was the only good one IMO.

i like two of their moves so far (richardson and wallace). carroll was a little overpaid, but he's staying with the team and will be solid off the bench. if felton develops some more and may can develop and stay healthy thats going to be an interesting team. richardson, wallace and okafor is a great nucleus with carroll, morrison, hermann, brezec, felton and may around them. they might finally sniff the playoffs this year.

Speed
07-12-2007, 10:50 AM

I think, at least with Wallace you get the feeling he won't start to not try at any point, dude brings it really too hard and injures himself doing so. He won't sign and get soft for sure, I don't think. He is young enough too.

Thing I wonder here is where Morrison fits now or was he a top draft pick who is destined to be a bench guy, which is pretty sad. I know its early for him, but man I don't know where he is going to get mins.

JayRedd
07-12-2007, 11:05 AM
iI'm trying to think of one good contract I've seen at team give someone, honestly.

Getting Chauncey at 4 years/$46 million with a team option for a 5th year was a coup.

Nocioni at 5 years/$38 million is a bargain.

Grant Hill was obviously a good signing.

Oberto at 3 years/$10.5 million is good.

Wallace at 6 years/$57 is pretty fair, I'd say.

I haven't seen the exact details on Stackhouse, but it sounds like it's around 3 years/$20, which even though he's on the downside of his career, was still probably the right move for Cuban from a consistency/having a good scorer on the bench perspective.

Randolph might not work out, but it's a low-risk move by Zeke since all he gave up was Frye.

Vince's 4 years/$60 million is overpaying, but not horrible for a marquee scorer that fills the arena (or fills it at least half way in the case of NJ).

As long as Darko is under $30 million, it's not that bad---at 3 years anyway.

Ivory towers.

That's great.

ilive4sports
07-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Ive heard the Darko deal was 3 years worth $21mil.

Speed
07-12-2007, 12:32 PM
Getting Chauncey at 4 years/$46 million with a team option for a 5th year was a coup.

I haven't seen the exact details on Stackhouse, but it sounds like it's around 3 years/$20, which even though he's on the downside of his career, was still probably the right move for Cuban from a consistency/having a good scorer on the bench perspective.

Randolph might not work out, but it's a low-risk move by Zeke since all he gave up was Frye.

Vince's 4 years/$60 million is overpaying, but not horrible for a marquee scorer that fills the arena (or fills it at least half way in the case of NJ).

That's great.

It's going to be hard to not knock good players here. Detroit had to sign Chauncey, no doubt, but I don't think he'll get better than he has been and honestly I think he's had to carry to much of the load over the years and he'll start to break down half way through that contract. I guess my point is that signing him was the status quo. Detroit could get better I guess but their main core is the same and they weren't good enough last year and Chauncey in partiular I thought struggled, for him, in the playoffs. So lets say that big kid for them, the guy who is strong and shows flashes of being something really good, does the Chauncey signing limit if you can extend him or sign him down the road, maybe that is a reach and maybe it doesn't play out like that, but Detroit really had no choice in this case.

And really I was mainly talking about teams that have changed their make up.

I like Nocioni, I think he'd be an Obie favorite, I wish he was here, but at 5 years I wonder if he becomes Austin at the end of that contract. This is a re sign not a change of team.

Scot Pollard-Oberto, I guess.

Wallace is a decent, same team, didn't they just draft Morrison and trade for Richardson.

Stackhouse how old is he, 7 mil is alot for a bench scorer.

Randolph duplicates Curry and now they have like half of their payroll on 2 guys who give you exactly the same thing, even to the point they work from the same block on the low post. Portland couldn't wait to get out from Randolphs contract.

Vince was another had to sign, I guess, but unless they move RJ for a low post player then next year is more of the same for NJ except Kidd is a year older.

Now that I write it out, V Carter should have went to NY and Randolph to NJ, now that would have maybe made sense.

Kstat
07-12-2007, 12:39 PM
It's going to be hard to not knock good players here. Detroit had to sign Chauncey, no doubt, but I don't think he'll get better than he has been and honestly I think he's had to carry to much of the load over the years and he'll start to break down half way through that contract. I guess my point is that signing him was the status quo. Detroit could get better I guess but their main core is the same and they weren't good enough last year and Chauncey in partiular I thought struggled, for him, in the playoffs. So lets say that big kid for them, the guy who is strong and shows flashes of being something really good, does the Chauncey signing limit if you can extend him or sign him down the road, maybe that is a reach and maybe it doesn't play out like that, but Detroit really had no choice in this case.

...he had a career season only a year ago....

and no, Sheed's deal comes off the books in two years, so w will have plenty of room to re-sign the young guys.

Sam Cassell is still playing and he's got 8 years on Chauncey. I don't see how he's going to break down in 2 years. His game does not rely at all on youthful athletic ability.

Naptown_Seth
07-12-2007, 01:48 PM

That's great.
I agree, including "that's great" for Fool's "Ivory Towers". Trademark that ASAP. :D

Slick Pinkham
07-12-2007, 01:51 PM
KStat, Detroit had better get a decent backup PG and actually play him because in the playoffs the past two years Chauncey has looked pretty run-down.

His stats haven't suffered really, but his ability to take over later in games seems diminished to my eye.

His minutes per game have gone up every year, and 36.2 min/g may be a bit much for him. Dropping to 33 or 34 min/g might be a good idea.

bulldog
07-12-2007, 03:27 PM
This is hilarious. I totally forgot about this, but a few weeks back, while discussing the upcoming Euro championships and predicting he would lead Serbia to the Gold, Darko called out Gasol and Spain for being soft:

http://thepaintedarea.blogspot.com/2007/06/serbian-summer-slapstick.html

Looks like they're gonna be drinking buddies. :buddies: :laugh: :laugh:

LG33
07-12-2007, 03:29 PM
This is hilarious. I totally forgot about this, but a few weeks back, while discussing the upcoming Euro championships and predicting he would lead Serbia to the Gold, Darko called out Gasol and Spain for being soft:

http://thepaintedarea.blogspot.com/2007/06/serbian-summer-slapstick.html

Looks like they're gonna be drinking buddies. :buddies: :laugh: :laugh:

Maybe the best evidence yet for the "Gasol to Lakers" conspiracy.

avoidingtheclowns
07-12-2007, 03:44 PM
KStat, Detroit had better get a decent backup PG and actually play him because in the playoffs the past two years Chauncey has looked pretty run-down.

they've got hunter still and now stuckey who will probably get time at the 1 and 2. i think they're fine...unfortunately

Kstat
07-12-2007, 06:53 PM

Rodney...Stuckey....

Y2J
07-12-2007, 07:04 PM
So a rookie who's been described as a poor mans Flip Murray is the answer for the Pistons?

And people have the audacity to laugh at the Laker fans for overhyping their rookies? :lol:

BobbyMac
07-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Golly I'm glad Darko's not going to be a Pacer....

SoupIsGood
07-12-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm glad we didn't pay money for this guy.

Eindar
07-13-2007, 02:17 AM
7 mil per is pretty good for a 22 year old 7 footer with some coordination and soft touch. It's not like Bender because it's only 3 years if he never gets any better.

The Hustler
07-13-2007, 08:40 AM
So a rookie who's been described as a poor mans Flip Murray is the answer for the Pistons?

And people have the audacity to laugh at the Laker fans for overhyping their rookies? :lol:

HUGE difference between hyping up a 19yr old, raw player, saying he could be an all star in the future and saying that a 21yr old with 2 very good college years could be a good back up for Billups ... they are just incomparable ....

One is a huge sweaping statment with very little evidence to back it up, under very unsure circumstances ... and the other is a reasonable statement at an appropriate level ....

Stuckey, is there at the moment as a backup PG/SG ... he will do that, back up Billups! ... In no way do i see that as over hyping a rookie!

As for a poor mans Flip, even that wouldnt be so bad, flips averaged as much as 12/2.5/2.5 playing as a backup. We aint talking about an AllStar here ... just a Pack up PG! IF he had said Stuckey is going to average 30/7/5 in his second year and score the winning basket in the Eastern Conference finals, i would be with you ... but you cant call that comment overhype!

I never thought i would see the day i stood up for a Pistons fan about a comment, i guess there is more to life!

Sorry that was probably an unnecessarily long post, and off topic aswel, i just dont understand the overhype of rookies by some people and the complete underestimation of others

JMO!

Back to the topic, Dark isnt a bad fit for the Grizz in my opinion, they would be very light downlow, but they would also be very hard to contend with if Darko can keep improving. He's going to get overpaid, but i dont blame the grizz for doing it, they need to get someone to help Gasol down there, and at the moment i dont think anyone else available had the eqivelent skill set, and that dreaded word, potential.

Again, JMO

Kstat
07-13-2007, 04:20 PM
HUGE difference between hyping up a 19yr old, raw player, saying he could be an all star in the future and saying that a 21yr old with 2 very good college years could be a good back up for Billups ... they are just incomparable ....

Don't bother with Y2J. He's our resident troll and I put him on my ignore list long ago. He isn't worth the time to respond to.