PDA

View Full Version : Official 2007 Offseason Free Agency signing/rumor thread

CableKC
07-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Magic S&T Rashard Lewis and sends him to Magic (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47054/20070711/magic_acquire_rashard_lewis_in_a_sign_and_trade/)

Magic Acquire Rashard Lewis In A Sign And Trade
July 11, 2007 - 12:38 pm
Press Release -
The Orlando Magic have acquired forward Rashard Lewis from the Seattle SuperSonics in a sign-and-trade deal in exchange for a future conditional second round draft pick, General Manager Otis Smith announced today.

“Rashard (Lewis) is a young, athletic forward and a proven scorer in this league,” said Smith. “We feel his skills will be a tremendous addition to our team and we are very excited to have him join the Magic family.”

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=orlandosummerleaguesday2

Orlando has agreed to a sign-and-trade deal with the Seattle SuperSonics that will allow Lewis to make $126.4 million over the next six seasons, according to NBA sources who requested anonymity. The Magic will send back a second-round pick to the Sonics.

With the 2007-08 salary cap set Tuesday night at $56.63 million, Lewis' first-year salary with the Magic will be $16.68 million -- the maximum allowable for a player with nine years of NBA experience. From there, he'll get 10.5 percent annual raises. That will take the deal to a mind-boggling $25.2 million for the 2012-13 season.

That seems like a lot....but Rashard will be 28 at the start of the season. The Magic are well below the Salarycap......so, I'm guessing that the Sonics are going to get a huge Trade Exception out of this.

JayRedd
07-11-2007, 12:53 PM
That seems like a lot.....

That's one way to put it.

Good God, Orlando. What in the hell were you thinking? They know all he does is shoot jumpshots right? I mean, their front office must at least get League Pass.

Wow...just wow.

spreedom
07-11-2007, 12:54 PM
I wonder who, if anyone, the Sonics will acquire with that trade exception...

FlavaDave
07-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Pretty clutch of Seattle to secure the exception.

bread
07-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Steve Francis anyone?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2932433

He'll probably end up with the Clips and his soulmate Cuttino Mobley. If they can get him cheap it might be a good pickup for them.

Young
07-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Wow.

Orlando is freaking stupid.

I wouldn't pay more than 80 million over 6 years for Rashard. No way.

Why in the world are they paying him 126 million!!!!!! You have to be kidding me. I mean you pay Duncan, Lebron, Kobe, Shaq back in his day, KG that type of money but not Rashard Lewis. You save that money for Dwight Howard.

Pacersin2033
07-11-2007, 01:02 PM
I heard a rumor about the offseason, even though we were promised sweeping changes, nothing is going to get done.

avoidingtheclowns
07-11-2007, 01:11 PM
..................wow for him? $26mil for the 6th season? for lewis? really?

Kstat
07-11-2007, 01:30 PM
just to make things official...

Billups signs $60 million, 5-year contract with Pistons

By Larry Lage, Associated Press

http://www.startribune.com/511/story/1296569.html

DETROIT — Chauncey Billups signed a $60 million, five-year contract Wednesday with the Detroit Pistons, returning to the team he helped reach five straight conference finals.

The contract is worth $46 million guaranteed over four years and includes a team option for the fifth year.

Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars said he was "very pleased" to have Billups back.

"We said from the beginning that re-signing Chauncey was our top priority, and now we can move forward knowing that Chauncey will continue to lead this team," Dumars told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "One of the toughest positions to fill in this business is the point guard position, and that's why it was imperative that we re-sign Chauncey."

JayRedd
07-11-2007, 01:33 PM

Clearly, Chauncey is only half the player Rashard Lewis is.

Hometown discounts must be nice.

Kstat
07-11-2007, 01:38 PM
Clearly, Chauncey is only half the player Rashard Lewis is.

Hometown discounts must be nice.

Well technically, he's about 1/3 the player Rashard is. The deal is only for $46 million, with a team option for one more year at $14 mil.

avoidingtheclowns
07-11-2007, 01:38 PM
just to make things official...

By Larry Lage, Associated Press

http://www.startribune.com/511/story/1296569.html

DETROIT Chauncey Billups signed a $60 million, five-year contract Wednesday with the Detroit Pistons, returning to the team he helped reach five straight conference finals.

The contract is worth $46 million guaranteed over four years and includes a team option for the fifth year.

Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars said he was "very pleased" to have Billups back.

"We said from the beginning that re-signing Chauncey was our top priority, and now we can move forward knowing that Chauncey will continue to lead this team," Dumars told The Associated Press on Wednesday. "One of the toughest positions to fill in this business is the point guard position, and that's why it was imperative that we re-sign Chauncey."

what a vicious AP article

Hicks
07-11-2007, 02:45 PM
That's one way to put it.

Good God, Orlando. What in the hell were you thinking? They know all he does is shoot jumpshots right? I mean, their front office must at least get League Pass.

Wow...just wow.

I'm with you. That's way too much. That's what JO gets paid over his 7 year deal.

Kegboy
07-11-2007, 05:17 PM
SportsGuy devoted his whole chat to how stupid that deal is.

As for Chauncey, what happened to the extra $.5 mil he got for pain and suffering?

CableKC
07-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Steve Francis anyone?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2932433

He'll probably end up with the Clips and his soulmate Cuttino Mobley. If they can get him cheap it might be a good pickup for them.
Hopefully we will dodge a bullet and the Clips pick Francis up. It sounds like a match made in Clipperland.....Francis can now bunk with his best friend and the Clips pick up a serviceable PG that can score.

CableKC
07-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Wow.

Orlando is freaking stupid.

I wouldn't pay more than 80 million over 6 years for Rashard. No way.

Why in the world are they paying him 126 million!!!!!! You have to be kidding me. I mean you pay Duncan, Lebron, Kobe, Shaq back in his day, KG that type of money but not Rashard Lewis. You save that money for Dwight Howard.
I guess the Magic will be stuck with a Dwight/Rashard combo for the next 6 years. Good God.....I completely agree with you.....but $126 mil over 6 years is way too much.