PDA

View Full Version : The unthinkable happens

Hicks
07-10-2007, 09:38 PM
The Pacers are no longer part of the NBA. They didn't move, they shut down and a dispersal draft sucked up the roster into the rest of the league.

If that happened, and you decided you still wanted to be an NBA fan of a single team above all others, who do you think you would choose and why?

Kstat
07-10-2007, 09:39 PM
...going to make a premature guess that the winner will be, "to hell with the NBA"...

ajbry
07-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Whatever team Jack is on, so that would currently be the Warriors obviously.

Hicks
07-10-2007, 09:42 PM
...going to make a premature guess that the winner will be, "to hell with the NBA"...

I'm trying to save it by saying that the assumption is you find it in your heart to want to be a fan of another NBA team.

rexnom
07-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Boston...since I catch so many of their games already.

LG33
07-10-2007, 09:55 PM
I've been following the Jazz alongside the Pacers since the mid-1990s, so this is not a difficult decision. Although I would be a good deal less enthusiastic as a fan.

ABADays
07-10-2007, 09:55 PM
The only unthinkable thing in this city is if Peyton Manning went down.

Hicks
07-10-2007, 09:56 PM
My loyalties come from rooting for the home team and Reggie Miller. But what got me interested in basketball beyond the YMCA I played in, was watching tapes on Larry Bird. Him being the head coach was another draw for me back then.

If the Pacers were out of the picture, then there's no home team to root for. Up next for me would come history and tradition. That would have to be either the Boston Celtics or the Los Angeles Lakers. Regardless of my admiration for Magic Johnson, I couldn't bring myself to root for the franchise that kept Reggie et al from their first and only championship with Kobe/Shaq/Phil (who I also disliked as the Bulls' coach). So I'd have to go with Boston because as a kid Larry was my original favorite player and I love Bill Russell.

pacerfreak
07-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Utah might be worth watching.....maybe. No Pacers. That would be a real bummer. There is always the wnba.

Kstat
07-10-2007, 09:59 PM
do we have the Fever up there, so Grace can vote?

rexnom
07-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Oooh...Phoenix Suns...well, really I could care less about Phoenix. I'm just a Nash fan. I could be a Celtics fan regardless of players.

LG33
07-10-2007, 10:10 PM
I've always lived in New Jersey, but the Nets were never watchable. I find that the Celtics are only barely watchable - but I do love that Paul Pierce.

LG33
07-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Also, I've always had a soft spot for the Orlando Magic and their players...

Swingman
07-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Portland for me since they seem to be amassing a lot of young talent. It will be interesting watching them grow.

Kegboy
07-10-2007, 10:16 PM
So Hicks, is this part of your "look on the bright side" campaign?

pwee31
07-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Portland. They just drafted Indiana guys in Oden and McRoberts. Plus they took 2 out of the 3 guys I wanted the Pacers to get in Fernandez and Koponen (Belinelli being the other).

They're not a team who's already doing well, so it won't just be hopping on a bandwagon. I can grow as a fan, while watching the team grow.

LG33
07-10-2007, 10:17 PM

Well, he could have said, "In an ideal world, there is no Pacers - who's your team?"

Big Smooth
07-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Blazers. Not necessarily because of Oden but I've been fond of Portland since the Drexler days.

btowncolt
07-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Jay is not going to like this thread.

So I voted for the Celtics.

ajbry
07-10-2007, 10:22 PM
I cannot picture the day where I become a Celts fan. Ew.

Kstat
07-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Jay is not going to like this thread.

So I voted for the Celtics.

*waits for Jay to jump out of the bushes....*

I KNEW IT!"

Evan_The_Dude
07-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Warriors hands down

Roaming Gnome
07-10-2007, 10:25 PM
I voted for Milwaukee because it has a very similar feel to Indianapolis... Small market & similar fan base. Mind you that is comming from someone that knows nothing really about Milwaukee besides it's in Wisconsin.

I would have voted Seattle since there is the possibility of them moving to Oklahoma City. I really enjoyed watching the games there in OKC. The fans really got up for the games. The games in OKC had a "raucus crowd" type feel and I really enjoyed that even watching them on TV. I was always impressed with how the OKC fans adopted the Hornets.

Before you say any city without a pro franchise would act the same, I ask you to remember when the Houston Oilers first moved to Tennessee and landed in Memphis. No support at all. Memphis was so hospitable the team ended up moving again after one season. The situation in OKC kind of felt similar considering they knew the Hornets were going back to N.O. after the 2nd year. Like OKC, Memphis knew they were going to have that NFL franchise for 2 years until Nashville came up with a stadium.

btowncolt
07-10-2007, 10:26 PM
If I had a big man coach maybe I'd know better.

cramerica
07-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Living in Abilene for 4 years prior to Tucson, I went to a few Mavericks games (free tickets). So that would be the only reason I would root for them. And that's my only excuse as to why I would even think about having a second team.

BlueNGold
07-10-2007, 10:33 PM
I would go with the Bulls. Generally, I like teams based on their management, coaching and philosophy at least as much as their players. It makes a huge difference in the product you see on the court.

The alternates are the following:

2) Blazers
3) Utah
4) Phoenix
5) New Jersey/Toronto

Will Galen
07-10-2007, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't pick another team and be a fan-atic about it. I'm a Pacer fan, not an NBA fan.

FrenchConnection
07-10-2007, 10:39 PM
I am pretty sure that it would be Cleveland. I live in Cincinnati now, and we get some Cavs games on Fox Sports. Being able to follow a team makes it easier to become a fan.

Shade
07-10-2007, 10:43 PM
Suns or Blazers.

tadscout
07-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Suns or Blazers.

Ditto

Trader Joe
07-10-2007, 10:46 PM
I always liked Dallas, but that was more when they were that loveable team that couldn't get over the hump. Now their the big choking wusses who can't get over the hump and the doesn't intrigue me as much.

GS was fun, but that was just a fad and more than anything I think they are worse with JRich gone.

I've always like Portland for one reason or another. I don't think I could pick an Eastern Conference team just because there is no real team that hasn't at some point left me with a sour taste in my mouth from beating the Pacers.

So I guess it would be the Blazers. Though I wouldn't do it willingly and I would probably never really get over losing the Pacers.

EDIT: Maybe the Nuggets too since Iverson is my favorite non-Pacer player in the NBA and always has been. But I don't really like that team at all other than him.

Arcadian
07-10-2007, 10:47 PM
One of the LA teams. Most likely the Lakers.

I tried to follow the Clippers (as a supplement not as a replacement to the Pacers) when I came out to LA. That was worse than following the Pacers.

FlavaDave
07-10-2007, 11:08 PM
Gotta be Eastern Conference so I could travel to a home game once a year at least. Gotta be a non-elite team because bandwagon hopping is lame.

Runners up:

Chicago Bulls: Love the coach, the players, the city; plus, it's close. But two things hold me back: I could never be a true Bulls fans because I could never fully embrace Michael Jordan, and I hate the damn posers from the region that latch onto the Chicago teams. You are Hoosiers, damn it. Act like it. So Chi is out.

Charlotte Bobcats: Young team on the rise, no history whatsoever. Zero bandwagon factor. But the team is simply too far away. Plus watching Adam Morrison would be excruciating. And the Jordan factor puts the nail in the coffin.

So, the choice is clear: Cleveland Cavaliers. I get to watch LeBron, former Pacer coach Mike Brown at the helm, still an underdog factor because all non-James teamates are garbage and they got blown out of the Finals, I get to watch LeBron, the city is close enough to go to a few games, I get to buy a sweet Craig Ehlo throwback jersey, and did I mention I get to watch LeBron?

indyman37
07-10-2007, 11:10 PM
Either the Suns, Blazers, or Lakers. But I would only root for the Lakers for my friend. But it's hard for me to imagine rooting for another NBA team. I would probably protest the NBA for at least a couple of seasons.

wintermute
07-10-2007, 11:22 PM
i picked the bucks too. at least in part because i've taken an interest in yi jianlian - surprising to me because i didn't think he was that good before, but now i'm rooting for him and hope he proves the critics wrong :D

also, gnome's post resonates with me. milwaukee seems to have the same sort of small market/underrated team that indiana has. i don't think i'd ever be comfortable rooting for a team like the lakers or even a rising team like the cavs.

idioteque
07-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Brutal Honesty: The Pistons.

I love the brand of blue collar basketball they play.

And since there would be no more Pacers, then no more rivarly.

Out West I suppose Portland.

beast23
07-10-2007, 11:30 PM
WAIT A MINUTE....

Nobody would become a fan of the Timbuktwo Pacers?

I would probably remain a fan of the Pacers... or whatever team they become through relocation. At least for the immediate future, anyway... until my interest faded.

Apart from that, I might continue rooting for the former ABA teams... Denver, New Jersey and San Antonio.

But in the end my heart would say the hell with the NBA.... F' em all.

I would probably just follow IU basketball and say the hell with the NBA.

Kstat
07-10-2007, 11:32 PM
Brutal Honesty: The Pistons.

I love the brand of blue collar basketball they play.

And since there would be no more Pacers, then no more rivarly.

Out West I suppose Portland.

Wow, that is pretty brutal...

Kstat
07-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Gotta be Eastern Conference so I could travel to a home game once a year at least. Gotta be a non-elite team because bandwagon hopping is lame.

Totally agree.

I'm going to say the pacers.

CableKC
07-10-2007, 11:37 PM
Bulls....I love teams that play defense.

FlavaDave
07-10-2007, 11:38 PM
WAIT A MINUTE....

Nobody would become a fan of the Timbuktwo Pacers?

I would probably remain a fan of the Pacers... or whatever team they become through relocation.

The Pacers are no longer part of the NBA. They didn't move, they shut down and a dispersal draft sucked up the roster into the rest of the league.

QFCOT (Quoted for Clarification of Truth)

Mr.ThunderMakeR
07-10-2007, 11:43 PM
Spurs. And not for bandwagon hopping either (its not like this is the first championship theyve won). They are living proof that professionalism gets you wins. Ive just always like the way their team is ran, Pop is a great coach, most of their players are very classy (except for Bowen). The Pacers drew a lot of comparisions to them during the 63 wins season. Unfortunately the Pacers went head-over-heels since then while the Spurs have become a dynasty.

Close calls: Suns just because I live in Phoenix and could easily follow them, but theyre style of play just doesnt do anything for me. And the Magic because I liked them when I was a little kid.

R3B0W
07-11-2007, 12:09 AM
Trailblazers!!!!!!! ODEN, McROBERTS, ROY, FRANCIS, ALDRIDGE, J.JONES, GREEN, etc...................2008 NBA CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!

j/k

please Pacers, please! (keep my hopes alive)

naptown
07-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Seattle. I lived there for 5 years and followed them closely back then. During the Kemp, Payton, Karl era. Been my second favorite team since.

They used to have these billboards all over town in Seattle that went like this...

A picture of George Karl, a plus sign, a picture of a basketball, an equals sign followed by a picture of Einstein.

Karl + Basketball = Einstein. No words what so ever, just that. Always thought that was great.

SycamoreKen
07-11-2007, 12:12 AM
The Spurs here as well. Why? I live here and have been through every championship season. They are a class organization as well. I root for them for 80 games a year. They are the enemy the other 2.

Hoop
07-11-2007, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't pick another team and be a fan-atic about it. I'm a Pacer fan, not an NBA fan.
Ditto

Oneal07
07-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Toronto and LA are my 2nd Fav teams, so I'd watch them

PR07
07-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Milwaukee. Small market...Midwestern city like ourselves. Not that good right now, so it would be bandwagon hopping. Fans seem pretty down to Earth and not jerks.

However, I'd like to think that if the Pacers were no more, they'd add a team to St. Louis or Cincy, so maybe that would be an option.

GrangerRanger
07-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Mad Antz all the way!

N8R
07-11-2007, 01:59 AM
I picked the Knicks cause they are already my favourite team so it was not a hard choice. It would be interesting to see where they would put the 30th team then assuming they wanted to stick with this 15 and 15 split. I would assume Las Vegas or Oklahoma

grace
07-11-2007, 02:09 AM
(keep my hopes alive)

Obviously you haven't been around here long enough to know that this is where hopes come to die. :death:

denyfizle
07-11-2007, 03:48 AM
the next closest teams probably Cavs or Bulls.

Erik
07-11-2007, 05:04 AM
Daa Bulls. they are my second favorite team anyway because simply because i like the players and coach skiles.

Hicks
07-11-2007, 05:38 AM

No, but I could still ride the wave if it happened. I'd go from rooting for a franchise with 0 NBA championships to a franchise with 16 championships. :woohoo:

The Hustler
07-11-2007, 06:25 AM
Jazz or Magic, and i really really cant decide!
Both seem to be on the brink of breaking out, and moving up into contention, and they both have PGs that i really like (yes, i do like Nelson!)

Dwight is a beast, so i think im clightly leaning to Orlando, but i just cant decide. I also have a howard jeasey!

Just hope it doesnt happen any time soon

317Kim
07-11-2007, 10:28 AM
I can't pick a team, but I'd probably go with whatever team Danny is on for a start.

JayRedd
07-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Watched the Celtics growing up in Maine and they're already a second favorite team of mine, so it's an easy choice. Those three straight years we faced them in the Playoffs were unfortunate.

Otherwise, it would have been Utah because of my man-crushes on both Deron and Boozer.

07-11-2007, 10:55 AM
Lebron James, ill be rooting for him only... :bowdown:

Skaut_Ech
07-11-2007, 11:17 AM
I can tell ya one thing, I wouldn't root for any Eastern teams. None of them interest me, except for the Bulls....but I will NEVER root for the Bulls. I still hold a grudge against them crushing our hopes time and again and having to deal with their obnoxious fans way back when.

Bucks...boring.

Celts...see my Bulls comments.

Cavs, sorry, I love Brown and really like Lebron, but they are a team of chumps who got as far as they did on smoke and mirrors this year.

Nets, Magic, Sixers...yawn.

I've always been a Western fan. I've followed the Spurs, Rockets and Suns to a degree, almost as much as I've followed the Pacers.

If I had to pick, it would be the Suns. (Although the Spurs would be a close second.) I fell in love with them when they had Tom Chambers and Majerle, KJ and Eddie Johnson. When they got Barkley, I was thrilled.

Too bad they got jobbed so bad in the playoffs this year.

grace
07-11-2007, 12:02 PM
I can tell ya one thing, I wouldn't root for any Eastern teams. None of them interest me, except for the Bulls....but I will NEVER root for the Bulls. I still hold a grudge against them crushing our hopes time and again.

<---How can you possibly not be a fan of a team who has him on their team?

FlavaDave
07-11-2007, 12:06 PM
<---How can you possibly not be a fan of a team who has him on their team?

Trust me, its easy.

:-p

fooddaman
07-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Easy... I started liking the Bulls when they drafted MJ. However, over the years, I started following the P's and changed my mind.

The big reason I started following the P's was Reggie Miller, BTW.

:D

ChicagoJ
07-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Nah, I probably wouldn't pick a team.

Other than:

http://athletics.elmhurst.edu/mbasketball

We've become good friends with the coach there, and as a former small-college athlete I do find something much more pure and compelling about the competition at that level than the semi-pro (I mean Division I) level or even the rest of the NBA, which has just been corrupted by SportsCenter, ESPN's lousy coverage, NBALive/ video games, all the hype/marketing and no substance.

So I'd watch the BlueJays and tune into TNT on Thursday nights just to watch a game and listen to EJ, Charles, and Kenny.

bellisimo
07-11-2007, 12:47 PM
spent most of my life in the Garden State..will be a Nets fan... :(

D23
07-11-2007, 01:14 PM
I gotta go with the Bulls, since I was (gasp) a Bulls fan before I fell in love with the Pacers. I love the way Chicago plays now.. except Ben Wallace. I'll always hate him for his role in the brawl, regardless of how much or how little of his fault it was :(

It's actually a *really* close decision for me, between Chicago and Charlotte. I like Charlotte because everyone loves an underdog, and they always seem to play scrappy and hard every night. If they can get fully healthy, they'll get a LOT better pretty quickly. Though, in the end, I have to go with Chicago out of tradition.

LG33
07-11-2007, 01:25 PM
spent most of my life in the Garden State..will be a Nets fan... :(

Whereabouts?

JayRedd
07-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Whereabouts?

I'm guessing somewhere near the chemical plant.

(I kid, NJ, I kid)

Ant
07-11-2007, 01:43 PM
The Spurs here as well. Why? I live here and have been through every championship season. They are a class organization as well. I root for them for 80 games a year. They are the enemy the other 2.

Ditto. Plus i'm a big fan of Duncan and the way the front office operates. Picking up Parker and Ginobili where they did was genius.

ChicagoJ
07-11-2007, 01:46 PM
New Jersey in the morning like a lunar landscape?

LG33
07-11-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm guessing somewhere near the chemical plant.

Ummm, I need specifics...that could be anywhere...

ChicagoJ
07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Your eyes get itchy in the wee wee hours
sun's just a red ball risin' over them refinery towers

Naptown_Seth
07-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Everyone is going to think it's a Jackson thing, but I assure you it isn't. It's a Barnes, Biedrens, Ellis and overall team style that made me vote GS. Plus I liked Run-TMC quite a bit as well. And Rick Barry, the history, the logo (and color scheme obviously).

Phoenix would be my choice but they are kind of everyones faves now. But with family out there I have always followed them. Liked KJ, Thunder Dan and even the Paul Westphal days.

Dallas was my West team 20 years ago with Det and Tarp, but something about Dirk kinda bugs me. Seems to have an attitude, I don't know. Like PHX they are a popular choice. And while I like the Spurs they've just won too much. I used to love them with Gervin. Killer colors and logo, always seemed like an outsider odd-ball team like the Pacers.

Seattle is another team I've always sorta liked, partly cause of Det, partly because one of my first little league teams was the SuperSonics, partly the colors, and certainly now I like the prospects of seeing that roster come together.

Note that it's no accident that no other dirty scum East team is anywhere near my list. :)

SamBear
07-11-2007, 08:31 PM
Mal.... you're Hicks? :jawdrop:

:D

If the pacers left... uh well... I'd have to go with the:
2007 NBA Champion San Antonio Spurs

Oh wait.... :dance:

I sincerely hope the Pacers don't go away... they are my 2nd favorite team.. :D

LG33
07-11-2007, 09:56 PM
You know, I could probably go for the 76ers...mostly out of pity...

Indianapolis_girly
07-11-2007, 10:03 PM
I can't pick a team, but I'd probably go with whatever team Danny is on for a start. Haha, I agree. I'm a big Danny fan. [ See screen name.] ;)