PDA

View Full Version : Guns and Indy violence

indygeezer
07-10-2007, 03:45 PM
As you know I'm an avid hunter and gun enthusiast. I own a couple of handguns and don't really want more laws that sound good in the press and do little to deter those who would illegally use them.

Twice in the last 3-4 months teenage friends of Jr's have had guns shoved at them and their cars stolen. One boy while at the gas station and the young lady just last week was threatend by criminals fleeing the police. Both were students at Jr's High School, both are honor students...and neither was out getting into trouble. I hear the reports and see the violence and can only wonder how far this is going to go? Are we to become a war zone? Are we going to become the next target area for the east and west coast gangs that are spreading across the country? I hope not.

As I said, I don't want to see even MORE laws that prove ineffective but would support stringent sentencing of those shown to use a gun, knife, club, weapon during the commission of a crime. I'm thinking in the range of 10 years for a 1st offense and 30 for a 2nd with no chance for parole or appeal.

hmmm this should prbably be in the News and Politics forum, sorry.

Trader Joe
07-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Just wondering what township/district you live in...I had one friend of mine jumped our senior year, but that was downtown while he was waiting to do some charity work.

indygeezer
07-10-2007, 04:11 PM
I live in Hancock County but Jr. goes to Cathedral.

MarionDeputy
07-10-2007, 05:18 PM
I don't know what the answer is aside from actually locking up bad guys. The whole criminal justice system is broken here in Marion county. People don't go to jail when they should because of the jail over crowding problem. For example a professional drug dealer (defined as someone who makes the majority of their income from sale of illegal substances) who gets busted with drugs but no guns get a court date instead of jail. He then goes out and shoots somebody when a deal goes down wrong or he is robbed by someone or he is robbing someone else. The sentencing is a joke too, even though they are convicted, sometimes multiple times, they never get close to the max sentence. No deterrant=more violent crime.

I actually attended a gang training session, and the word around the midwest is to do large drug transactions here, because if your caught the odds are very good that your just going to get a court date. Those that do, skip town and don't come back. I have heard there are over 50k open arrest warrants in Marion County alone. With about 5 guys whose full time job is to go after them.

Keep your guns Geez, but keep them secure in your possesion.

indygeezer
07-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Keep your guns Geez, but keep them secure in your possesion.

They are secured, Unloaded, in my safe with gunlocks on each. I quit carrying them in my car when I realized that if someone stole my car they would have a gun too then. (If I know I'm going into a known drug problem neighborhood I take one on my person....I'm licensed).

Trader Joe
07-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Just curious Geez ever had to use one of your guns to defend yourself?

indygeezer
07-11-2007, 05:36 PM
Just curious Geez ever had to use one of your guns to defend yourself?

Nope.