PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Banks

diamonddave00
07-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Marcus Banks went for 42 points in the Las Vegas summer league yesterday. Earlier this off season the Pacers/Suns had breif talks about him. Originally the Suns were willing to accept the Pacers 4 million dollar trade exception for him he makes 3.9 this season -4yrs 17.4 left on his contract.

If as Mike Wells says he does not expect Darrell Armstrong to be back and Keith McLeod signs elsewhere might the Pacers be interested in Banks? He played for Jim O'Brien in Boston his rookie year I believe.

Just tossing another name out there that the Pacers had expressed interest in previously, who could still be available.

Playing roughly 30 mpg for 1/2 a season in Minnesota in 2005-06 he averaged 12ppg , almost 5 apg and shot 48% , might be well worth looking into , last season he got lost behing Nash and Barbosa with the Suns , believe he is 26 years old.

Speed
07-10-2007, 12:30 PM
I thought he gave the Pacers fits a couple of years ago in the playoffs with ball hawking defense. I think he's the Travis Best Type I have been hoping for, but I don't know why he got buried on the bench in Phoenix either. I wonder is there something else going on, because I've thought he had the talent to be a solid player? Feels like Phoenix is just trying to unload him, that always makes me weary. He has 3 range, he has quickness, I believe. I don't think that is too much $ for a back up with Tinsley's Hx of injuries.

Oneal07
07-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Pick Him up!!!

blanket
07-10-2007, 12:34 PM
I thought he gave the Pacers fits a couple of years ago in the playoffs with ball hawking defense. I think he's the Travis Best Type I have been hoping for, but I don't know why he got buried on the bench in Phoenix either. I wonder is there something else going on, because I've thought he had the talent to be a solid player? Feels like Phoenix is just trying to unload him, that always makes me weary. He has 3 range, he has quickness, I believe. I don't think that is too much $ for a back up with Tinsley's Hx of injuries.

Part of the reason they're trying to unload him is to reduce payroll and avoid the LT. They may have issues with his game, too IDK, but using the $4M TE makes perfect sense for both teams.

Unclebuck
07-10-2007, 01:01 PM
His on the ball defense is as good as any in the league. he's not a very good shooter or much of a playmaker - But I would like to have him on the Pacers.

avoidingtheclowns
07-10-2007, 01:10 PM
Marcus Banks went for 42 points in the Las Vegas summer league yesterday. Earlier this off season the Pacers/Suns had breif talks about him. Originally the Suns were willing to accept the Pacers 4 million dollar trade exception for him he makes 3.9 this season -4yrs 17.4 left on his contract.

if this deal was going to happen, i don't understand why this deal didn't happen on draft night. TE for Banks and then in a second deal whatever for rights to Rudy. i would have loved to have done it and include Rudy, but just picking up banks contract without trading one of our own doesn't make sense to me.

Shade
07-10-2007, 01:14 PM
His on the ball defense is as good as any in the league. he's not a very good shooter or much of a playmaker - But I would like to have him on the Pacers.

Seeing the Ultimate UB Pacers scares the crap out of me. We would probably hold teams to 60PPG, but only score 50PPG. :laugh:

wintermute
07-10-2007, 01:18 PM
clearing marcus banks' $4m salary off their books will save the suns $8m on this season alone - they ought to be paying us for taking banks off their hands. his deal has 4 years, $17m left.

question - are the pacers prepared to pay luxury tax? because that would almost certainly be the case if we acquire banks with the trade exception, barring a salary dump. is banks really worth $8m per? he'd have to put up starter's numbers to justify that.

JayRedd
07-10-2007, 01:22 PM
He's honestly one of the worst jumpshooters in the League. Has no range and is an okay, but not particularly able, penetrator.

That's too much to pay just for defense. We really can't be looking to pick up anymore non-shooters given our current personnel and coach.

wintermute
07-10-2007, 01:26 PM
if this deal was going to happen, i don't understand why this deal didn't happen on draft night. TE for Banks and then in a second deal whatever for rights to Rudy. i would have loved to have done it and include Rudy, but just picking up banks contract without trading one of our own doesn't make sense to me.

that would have been great.

portland thought of it first though... (absorbing james jones' contract + giving cash in exchange for pick)

Cancel
07-10-2007, 01:35 PM
clearing marcus banks' $4m salary off their books will save the suns $8m on this season alone - they ought to be paying us for taking banks off their hands. his deal has 4 years, $17m left.

question - are the pacers prepared to pay luxury tax? because that would almost certainly be the case if we acquire banks with the trade exception, barring a salary dump. is banks really worth $8m per? he'd have to put up starter's numbers to justify that.

The exception would only count this year, so it wouldn't be 8m per year, right? Just 21m total.

Wow... haven't changed my avatar in awhile, haha...

Unclebuck
07-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Seeing the Ultimate UB Pacers scares the crap out of me. We would probably hold teams to 60PPG, but only score 50PPG. :laugh:

LOL, I think I need to try disguising my intentions a little better.

Robobtowncolt
07-10-2007, 01:38 PM
The exception would only count this year, so it wouldn't be 8m per year, right? Just 21m total.

Wow... haven't changed my avatar in awhile, haha...

Wow, November 2004 and you have 5 posts? That is expert lurking.

Young
07-10-2007, 01:39 PM
Banks may be worth taking a look at.

But McLeod might be better due to salary reasons we won't tie ourselves into a lot of money owed to one player.

But if we get Banks for something as little as that it would be alright with me. Banks is an excellant defender and I believe he can return to his Minnesota form with the Pacers. He was stuck behind Nash and Barbosa on Phoenix so he never got the chance to show what he can do.

He really isn't as bad of a shooter as people make him out to be. Obviously he wasn't a very good shooter coming into the league but he got some experience in Boston and improved and he finally got the chance to show that for half a season in Minnesota. 12 points, 5 assists, while shooting 47% from the field and hitting 36% of his 3 point attempts. Numbers don't lie.

With that said I don't know that I want Tinsley and Banks. See about dealing Jamaal and maybe then add Chucky Atkins. A Banks/Atkins point guard combo would be real nice and gives us two very different types of point guards.

Mo Williams looks like he could be going to the Heat. The Bucks could be interested in Jamaal, or maybe they would rather go after Marcus.

Banks isn't a bad opition to have. He defiantly would give us great defense but IDK that I like a Banks and Tinsley point guard combination.

blanket
07-10-2007, 01:40 PM

Are we really less than $4M away from the LT right now? I thought we had a bit more wiggle room than that.

Speed
07-10-2007, 02:05 PM
More and More I think about it, this would be a really nice move, a guy who can guard the quick point guards, and he shot over 30% a couple years from 3 point land in his career, its not like he's Marquis Daniels.

diamonddave00
07-10-2007, 02:28 PM
At this point the only 2 point guards on the Pacer roster are Jamaal Tinsley and I guess Marquis Daniels. Both Daniels and Tinsley have a history of missing large portions of the season.

In 6 years Tinley has played only 359 of 492 Pacer games an average of 60 games played a season. Daniels in 4 nba seasons has played 223 of 328 games or 56 games a season. While almost 4 mil might be a lot to pay for Marcus Banks , based on Tinsley and Daniels past records seemes very likely we will need a pg capable of playing major minutes probably as a starter on quite a few occassions .

Not saying Banks is the only solution just that he could be an option.

gph
07-10-2007, 02:30 PM
The knock on Banks is that he can barely spell NBA, which also causes his terrible bball IQ. He has gotten by purely on athleticism, but doesn't have the head to be a rotation player.

Slick Pinkham
07-10-2007, 02:41 PM
Are we really less than $4M away from the LT right now? I thought we had a bit more wiggle room than that.

Nobody knows yet what the exact number is, but you can make a guess:

NBA luxury tax thresholds:

2005-06--- $61.7 million
2006-07--- $65.42 million (This is $3.72 million above 05/06 season)
2007-08?-- $69.14 million - Estimated by adding $ 3.72 mill to last yrs threshold

Hoopshype has us with 14 guys under contract and 65.167 million.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/indiana.htm

so there is about 4 million, maybe less, and Banks makes 3.88 million.

It's probably too close for comfort for TPTB, unless Phoenix would take Harrison and his 1.3 mil, or Greene and his 770K.

blanket
07-10-2007, 03:23 PM

2005-06--- $61.7 million
2007-08?-- $69.14 million - Estimated by adding $ 3.72 mill to last yrs threshold

It's probably too close for comfort for TPTB, unless Phoenix would take Harrison and his 1.3 mil, or Greene and his 770K.

Do we still owe Greene 770K? I thought the reason he was waived a few weeks ago was to avoid his contract becomming guaranteed. Not a lot of savings there, but I think Hoopshype has that info wrong.

Hicks
07-10-2007, 03:31 PM
I've read somewhere that he was a bad attitude for them. No thanks.

diamonddave00
07-10-2007, 03:36 PM
Lester Conner spoke very highly of Andre Owens , Stephen Graham , and Kareem Rush could be all 3 have a very legit chance of making the team. If so Owens would be a very cheap option at less than 700.000.

ChicagoJ
07-10-2007, 06:03 PM
Do we still owe Greene 770K? I thought the reason he was waived a few weeks ago was to avoid his contract becomming guaranteed. Not a lot of savings there, but I think Hoopshype has that info wrong.

Hoopshype is wrong much more often than they are right.

The entire premise is built on "leaks", not actual data.

Unclebuck
07-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Hoopshype is wrong much more often than they are right.

The entire premise is built on "leaks", not actual data.

I hear you. I'm surprised they don't have Bender still on our roster or even Rik Smits.

Kegboy
07-10-2007, 06:46 PM
I hear you. I'm surprised they don't have Bender still on our roster or even Rik Smits.

They did two weeks ago.

JB, not Rik.

OnlyPacersLeft
07-10-2007, 08:35 PM
he has better D than tinsley...I'd love him on this team. He'd be a sick backup for Tinsley aswell! :)

wintermute
07-10-2007, 10:34 PM

2005-06--- $61.7 million

nba just posted the official salary cap and luxury tax thresholds according to realgm

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47032/20070710/nba_sets_07_08_salary_cap_at_$55630_million/

NBA Sets 07-08 Salary Cap At $55.630 million
July 10, 2007 - 9:57 pm
Press Release -
NBA SALARY CAP FOR 2007-08 SEASON SET AT $55.630 MILLION

NEW YORK, July 10, 2007 – The National Basketball Association today announced that the Salary Cap for the 2007-08 season will be $55.630 million. The new Cap goes into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET on Wednesday, July 11, when the league’s “moratorium period” ends and teams can begin signing free agents and making trades.

The tax level for the 2007-08 season has been set at $67.865 million. Any team whose team salary exceeds that figure will pay a $1 tax for each $1 by which it exceeds $67.865 million.

The mid-level exception is $5.356 million for the 2007-08 season and the minimum team salary, which is set at 75% of the Salary Cap, is $41.723 million.

For the 2006-07 season, the Salary Cap was set at $53.135 million, the tax level was $65.42 million and the mid-level exception was $5.215 million.

so adding banks would cost close to $6m this season assuming we're not adding anyone else. it will get worse next season, unless lux tax rises faster than player contract raises

eldubious
07-11-2007, 12:42 AM
Not overly impressed with Banks, he's a rich man's Oriene Greene, which isn't saying much. I'd rather the Pacers go after Charlie Bell, and of course, Crittenton.