PDA

View Full Version : D. Armstrong ""I'm not old. I could still play another couple more years"

naptownmenace
07-10-2007, 11:17 AM
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/orl-nbanotes1007jul10,0,6829489.story

Armstrong in town

Former Magic player Darrell Armstrong -- who played last season with the Indiana Pacers -- made a brief appearance at the Pepsi Summer League, coming for part of the Pacers/Bulls game.

Armstrong, 39, is in town for one of his summer basketball camps that he has continued to hold here every year. He also still holds his annual foundation fundraiser each August in Central Florida.

Although the Pacers still have his rights, his contract for next season isn't guaranteed yet. And the thought of returning to the Magic for a final season still intrigues him.

"I'd love to come back here, but they already have too many guards," he said. "I'm not old. I could still play another couple more years."

So DA definitely isn't talking about retirement but do you think he really can play 2 more seasons? He started out great this year for the Pacers but ran out of steam as the season wore on. He might be able to play 2 more seasons but at what level?

Do you think the Pacers should bring him back for next season?

ChicagoJ
07-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Yes, he's a high energy player.

He needs to be a high-energy player to make up for all the mistakes HE makes.

I'm not sure he's still a good enough high-energy player at his age to cover up for all of his own mistakes.

I'd bring him back as the fifteenth-man and leave him inactive except for whenever one of our top-three PGs is hurt.

:twocents:

avoidingtheclowns
07-10-2007, 11:35 AM
i appreciated the spark he gave us in the first half of last season, despite the mistakes. but if it makes sense to not bring him back and keep people with more upside, then so be it. he'd be a good vet presence for what will be a fairly young team (despite being loaded with vets like danny and shawne :eyeroll: ).

Naptown_Seth
07-10-2007, 11:54 AM

I'm not sure he's still a good enough high-energy player at his age to cover up for all of his own mistakes.

I'd bring him back as the fifteenth-man and leave him inactive except for whenever one of our top-three PGs is hurt.

Glad I'm not the only one saying this. He gambles so often and misses, letting his man go straight down the lane, and he chucks so many 3s at a low rate (after NOV at least) that it kills you.

Normally I would say "no thanks", but then I look at where this team is currently at and I think "what's the difference".

edit, MR already corrected me on this..."Too many guards"? Sorry DA, with just Tins, Quis and then maybe McLeod and Rush I don't think too many guards is an issue for the Pacers.

If he's willing to stay and endure the pain then I'm happy to have him I suppose.

Cobol Sam
07-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Maybe it would be good to offer him a position in the coaching staff.

MagicRat
07-10-2007, 11:56 AM
Sorry DA, with just Tins, Quis and then maybe McLeod and Rush I don't think too many guards is an issue for the Pacers.

I think he's referring to Orlando when he says "too many guards"....

Naptown_Seth
07-10-2007, 11:57 AM
I think he's referring to Orlando when he says "too many guards"....
Reading is fun. I think I might try it out and see if I can get the hang of it.
:o

LG33
07-10-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't think I need to say it anymore, but let's just sign Travis Diener to a short deal if we want a third-stringer.

RWB
07-10-2007, 12:24 PM
According to the SI payroll page DA is slated to get 1.2 million next season. Pretty cheap insurance for the PG position.

RWB
07-10-2007, 01:14 PM
On a side note, it appears Eddie Gill will be playing on Utah's Summer League team.

Robobtowncolt
07-10-2007, 01:18 PM
On a side note, it appears Eddie Gill will be playing on Utah's Summer League team.

EDDIE!!!!!!!!!

JayRedd
07-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Sure you can Darrell.

idioteque
07-10-2007, 08:43 PM
I think I would rather have Tony Delk as a third PG. He already knows OB's system from the Boston days.

madison
07-10-2007, 09:28 PM
Doesn't this guy want to go into coaching? I wish he'd do us a favor and move on. I'm exhausted with the rah-rah crap when he can't back it up on the court. Every time he shoots the ball I cringe and wish he would just play point guard and PASS the ball. I fear that JOB's love affair with the 3-point shot will only feed this guy's fantasy. His legs are shot, and legs are the key to throwing up 3-pointers. At best he's a third string PG, and a good coach would tell him that other than layups, he's to NEVER shot the ball.

MagicRat
07-10-2007, 09:49 PM
EDDIE!!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing you can see the smoke rising from his still smoldering bandwagon for miles around EnergySolutions Arena..........

beast23
07-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Jay
Glad I'm not the only one saying this. He gambles so often and misses, letting his man go straight down the lane...I'm missing something.

I admit that I spent most of last season working in New Jersey and Pennsylvania (lucky me, huh?), but I don't understand your thinking.

I've seen you guys post these kind of things about Armstrong, but it just doesn't agree with the perception that I have of him.

He is old and certainly cannot play heavy minutes throughout a season. That much is a certainty.

But I've always thought of him as a very decent on-the-ball defender, applying pressure to his opponent over the entire length of the court. I've certainly thought of DJ as a significantly better defender than Tinsley, for example. Since I didn't attend many games at all, and the east coast did not carry many games, I can only rely on statistics... but DJ's assist-to-turnover ratio was 2.55 compared to Tinsley's 2.48... about equal.

So, I assume the comment made by Jay pertaining to DJ regarding "the mistakes HE makes" should by default extend to Tinsley as well? Consequently, should we just chuck all of our PGs and "start over"?

Just a thought. Perhaps Banks, Rush and Owens, with McLeod sprinkled in as well. Could they as a group be any worse than what we are relying on now? A little variety in style amongst the four, with the defensive end of the floor definitely covered.

Kegboy
07-10-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm guessing you can see the smoke rising from his still smoldering bandwagon for miles around EnergySolutions Arena..........

No, that's just me sitting at the wheel smokin' a stoogie.

Eddie >>> You

MagicRat
07-10-2007, 10:44 PM
No, that's just me sitting at the wheel smokin' a stoogie.

Smokin' a stoogie?
http://www.aspipes.org/images/famous/moe.jpg

Roaming Gnome
07-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Glad I'm not the only one saying this. He gambles so often and misses, letting his man go straight down the lane, and he chucks so many 3s at a low rate (after NOV at least) that it kills you.

Normally I would say "no thanks", but then I look at where this team is currently at and I think "what's the difference".

If he's willing to stay and endure the pain then I'm happy to have him I suppose.

Yes...I believe we both witnessed this in MANY of the games that we attended last year. If Army stays, I'd hope that this coaching staff would be able to use him sparingly. I know injuries took some options off the table, but it was clear that Armstrong was all used up in Febuary. I'd like to keep D.A. as an emergency/change of Pace guy, but not as any kind of routine back-up.

Peck
07-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by Jay
:twocents:I'm missing something.

I admit that I spent most of last season working in New Jersey and Pennsylvania (lucky me, huh?), but I don't understand your thinking.

I've seen you guys post these kind of things about Armstrong, but it just doesn't agree with the perception that I have of him.

He is old and certainly cannot play heavy minutes throughout a season. That much is a certainty.

But I've always thought of him as a very decent on-the-ball defender, applying pressure to his opponent over the entire length of the court. I've certainly thought of DJ as a significantly better defender than Tinsley, for example. Since I didn't attend many games at all, and the east coast did not carry many games, I can only rely on statistics... but DJ's assist-to-turnover ratio was 2.55 compared to Tinsley's 2.48... about equal.

So, I assume the comment made by Jay pertaining to DJ regarding "the mistakes HE makes" should by default extend to Tinsley as well? Consequently, should we just chuck all of our PGs and "start over"?

Just a thought. Perhaps Banks, Rush and Owens, with McLeod sprinkled in as well. Could they as a group be any worse than what we are relying on now? A little variety in style amongst the four, with the defensive end of the floor definitely covered.

Whew....

I'm glad you wrote that because I thought it was just me.

To their credit they have both said that all of last season, I didn't get it then either but I never said anything cause I thought I must be missing something.

However I am willing to admit one thing, I've seen such crap defense from Tinsley over the past four years that anybody who looks like they give crap about keeping their man in front of them may cause me to have the illusion that they are playing good defense.:confused:

However I did sour on Armstrong for that extremely unprofessional meltdown he had at the end of the season vs. that ref.

Honestly that turned me off so fast that I was ok if we didn't bring him back just for that reason.

But I will still say that at the end of the day I was as comfortable with him on the floor.

However I like McCloud better though.

Will Galen
07-11-2007, 01:47 AM
According to the SI payroll page DA is slated to get 1.2 million next season. Pretty cheap insurance for the PG position.

Yes and the NBA pays a good third of that.

SoupIsGood
07-11-2007, 01:58 AM
DA is a great player for this team... as long as he only sees the court about once a month. Otherwise there's nothing not to love about him.

Hicks
07-11-2007, 05:30 AM
I didn't think DA was all the detrimental out there. I felt his positives were more than his negatives. That's not a stat thing, but a gut/observational thing.

Speed
07-11-2007, 08:25 AM
I agree Mal, even when he wasn't on the floor I thought he had an awesome impact by being upbeat. I really had hoped he would come back this year as the third point guard and then be an assistant coach the following year. I think you keep good guys like DA who have a passion for the game in your organization in some way.

Slick Pinkham
07-11-2007, 09:08 AM
A very low salary guy who wants a shot, is young, better that this point than DA, and perhaps better than McLeod

is John Lucas III.

He seems to be the odd man out in Houston and can likely be had for next to nothing.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4958536.html

July 11, 2007, 1:53AM

Summer league is not for Lucas
Rockets also may not be part of guard's plans

Summer league has been good to John Lucas III.

For a week last summer, he was a star. He had the ball in his hands, all the shots he could want, and soon, a three-year contract with the Rockets, the team for which his father had starred and he had been a ball boy.

The Rockets wanted him to reprise last summer's performance, particularly with a new coaching staff and offense to learn. Lucas, however, preferring to stick to his training routine, decided to go another way. And with the Rockets seemingly overloaded at his position, he sounds ready to keep going.

Looking elsewhere

"I want to go somewhere I'll have the opportunity and a shot to play," Lucas said. "We have a lot of point guards: Mike James, Rafer Alston, myself and Aaron (Brooks). That's a lot of competition. I don't mind competition. I'm looking forward to next year. I'm looking forward to playing. If they move me, I'll go to another team and contribute any way I can.

"We're talking to try to see what's best for me. It is a business. I want to play. Last year, I was miserable. It's a situation I had never been in. I never stayed on the bench before. I don't want to go through anything like last year. I'm waiting for my chance. I just want to play. That's my whole thing."

Asked if he had requested a trade or to be waived (which, unless he were picked up, would require the Rockets to pay him the $770,610 guaranteed on his contract), Lucas said: "I just want to play.

"I don't know what's going on. Right now, I'm a Houston Rocket. They deal with my agent. I have to take care of what I have to do on the court. I have not taken a day off since the season ended. When we lost Game 7 (to the Utah Jazz), I went to work the next day and have been in the gym every day since."

Because he has lived in the gym so long, Lucas chose not to leave it to start over in another gym. The Rockets, however, wanted to have him work with their coaches, and when they announced their summer league team, he was on it.

"The communication wasn't very good," general manager Daryl Morey said. "David (Falk, Lucas' agent) probably thinks I dropped the ball. We spoke about him spending a week in summer league.

"He said he thought it wasn't a good idea. I said I thought it was. We got up to that point (the team was announced). We can't reach John. David calls the day before (summer practices began) and said, 'He's out.'

"I guess when he said he didn't think it was a good idea, that meant he wasn't coming."

Lucas, as a third-year player, had the option to play or not play in summer league. The Rockets could have demanded that Vassilis Spanoulis, a rookie last season, play, but chose not to take that step. But because two of their young point guards are not participating, they added one Tuesday.

With Spanoulis out, the Rockets brought in Luis Flores, the player they drafted to trade for Spanoulis during the second round of 2004.

Improving at home

Lucas hoped by sitting out the summer league, he would improve as much as when he played in it.

"You usually only play two years of summer league," Lucas said. "You play if you're not on a team or trying to make another team. I'm under contract for two years, a year guaranteed. I feel, individually, I need to get stronger and get better.

"I can fit in any system. I'm a quick learner. I can fit in in a day.

"Playing every day against NBA players like T.J. Ford, Earl Watson, Steve Francis and Damon Stoudamire, working with Sam Cassell, to me I feel will make me better."

Whether that will be with the Rockets remains to be seen.

Kegboy
07-11-2007, 09:35 AM
Lucas might be somebody worth looking at. But I am so sick of talking about backup and third-string points. It all comes down to Tinsley. If he plays well, they won't matter. If he fails again, they aren't gonna be good enough to make a difference.

ChicagoJ
07-11-2007, 01:45 PM
I didn't realize you all were expecting a point-by-point comparison of DA and JT.

So here it is:

DA is a very similar player to Tinsley, high risk and high reward. Both players gamble too much on defense, attempt passes they shouldn't, and have terrible shot selection. DA is a better shooter, but can't see the floor or run the offense. Tinsley can't even finish at the rim, but is an excellent distributor. DA hustles to cover up for his many mistakes and turnovers, thrives off of (phony) crowd reaction, and his fans praise his hustle and ignore his flaws. Tinsley seems to have a quiet personality, probably plays better on the road, and his fans praise his court vision while remembering that he's fragile (physically) and just plain awful at stopping dribble penetration.