PDA

View Full Version : I have a job interview Wednesday!

Kat
07-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Hey guys, I have a job interview on Wednesday for a permanent position within my current department. I'm soooo excited/scared, because this position would mean so much to me. It's more hours, more money, benefits, and a better location. I'm just worried because I'm not sure how well I interview and I'd love some hints/tips from you guys.

I have a lot of things going in my favor. It's within my department and no one else that we know of from my department is applying. My boss and another co-worker have talked me up a bit to the supervisor making the decision. My biggest obstacle is that I don't have the year experience in the field asked for in the job description. I have six months part-time experience. Any suggestions how I can downplay my inexperience? I completely believe I'm capable of learning the duties of the job in a quick timeframe, but how can I bring that across in an interview?

I haven't interviewed much. I'm a bit shy and I don't build a rapport quickly. I'm also not sure I ad lib particularly well. Any suggestions are welcome!

Hicks
07-09-2007, 05:27 PM
GIVE'EM HELL, WOMAN!

You know, in a way that gets you the job.

indygeezer
07-09-2007, 06:13 PM
THINK AHEAD.....what questions are they likely to ask you? Think about how you will answer them.

DO NOT expect to get this job. You have no idea who else may be interviewed and as you said,you don't meet the criteria SO.....make lemonade out of it. Think of it as a practice interview for the job you will eventually want and be qualified for. Think of it as a time to shine and lay the groundwork for future interviews.

There is an old sales axiom that says if you have to make 20 calls to get a sale and if each sale is worth $200 to you, think of it as each call being worth $10.00. Same with interviews.

Relax and be yourself. Think what you have learned during your term there and be prepared to explain how tha speed your larning curve and allows you to b more productive from the start.

Do not mention chatrooms or the Pacers. And then after you have knocked-em-dead you come back here and let us know so we can party with you!!!:buddies::dance::dance::dance::buddies:

bellisimo
07-09-2007, 06:26 PM
I just read this thread - I've done some recruitment in my previous sales job so I have some experience when it comes to interviews/hiring staff...sadly its past midnight here and I gotta head to bed - but come morning I will drop by with all the hints/tips/etc from my side :)

obnoxiousmodesty
07-09-2007, 08:27 PM
Remember that your interviewer already will know a lot about you via your current co-workers, so being extremely upfront and honest is a must. You may not have all the skills necessary to do this job to perfection at the moment, yet you've demonstrated time and again you are an intelligent, thoughtful employee who can adapt quickly. You made it at the main site, you can make it at this one too.

Just promise me one thing: if you are able to earn the position, just make certain you find a way to blast the IU fight song throughout the place on occasion, just to annoy the neighbors (i.e., those kids who are always sleeping in the lounge across the hall). Hey, don't complain, I do it over here! (Alas, sans the kids to annoy, dammit.)

I firmly believe you have all the desired and necessary qualifications and traits to rock this interview.

GOOD LUCK!

Kraft
07-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Be yourself. Don't talk a different game just because that's what's expected. You want to be hired because you're capable, not because you can talk like you are.

TripleThreat
07-09-2007, 10:21 PM
Treat this interview the same as you would an external interview.

I once applied for an internal position. There were 4 of us going for the job, and i was the junior person who was applying. I was really only interviewing so that they didn't think I wanted to stay in that computer room...LOL. I didn't think I would actually get the job.

At any rate...they interviewed us on a casual Friday, and only one other candidate dressed the part. I wore a suit to work that day, and she wore a nice outfit. The other 2 interviewed in shorts and t-shirts. Needless to say, they didn't get the job. I actually got the job, and the other lady who took the interview seriously (who was also WAY more qualified than I was) was also promoted to another position.

Geezer offered some good advice as well...to prepare yourself for what they may ask, but be ready for some off the wall questions as well. For instance...the position I spoke about above was a programming position. Since they already knew about my skillset, they decided to try and catch me off guard and ask some questions that I couldn't possibly prepare for. The one that sticks out in my head was she asked me to explain to her how I do laundry. Since I was going for a programming job, I thought she might be looking for a lot of detail, so I made that laundry story take a TON of steps...I was tired of laundry, and I hadn't even DONE any!!!

Good luck!

bellisimo
07-10-2007, 04:14 AM
as promised here I am. :)

You mentioned that you are a bit shy and don't really ad lib that much...those things can be downplayed if you use your body language...Just make sure you keep eye contact with the person that asked you the question. Its very important to come off confident that you are capable of being able to do this job.

In regards to job descriptions - they are there as an ideal candidate...don't let that bother you too much because just like guys/girls in the dating world...the corporations are also capable of having high expectations from the start and then going with another person because they showed potential or showed that certain characteristic that they were looking for.

Since this is an interview within the company - you'll still get a few "tell me about yourself" like questions but they will not revolve around that. Its good that your boss has already praised you as going to an interview warm instead of cold is a lot better - from my view - as the interviewer is more interested to see the person behind the praises.

Obviously you have been able to get the job done in your current position...
a question that most interviewers like to ask - one that i hate asking cause its too cliche - is "from all the applicants - why should we choose you?" or "why do you feel you're capable of doing this job?"

To these types of questions - a good answer would be along the lines of "well as I have been working in this company I showed that I'm capable of being able to handle the tasks that I've been assigned. If we can work to identify what the goals are and work together to reach these goals, do you see any reason as to why we shouldn't be able to succeed?"

These types of questions comes towards the end of the interview - this is a great way to see where the interviewer stands as in most cases they'll just look at you and take a deep breath - but if there is something that they feel is going to hold you back they will most likely address that.

As for off the wall questions - they are an absolute favorite of the interviewers...we gotta have fun with the recruitment as well...one of my colleagues favorite question to identify whether or not the person is detail oriented or not is to ask "what is the angle of the hands of the clock when the time is showing "6:05" - if they just give a rough estimate...they lack the certain characteristic he's looking for...

In conclusion just have fun with it. As good or as bad as someone's CV is...interview can definitely make you get that extra points under your belt to get you the job.

Fool
07-10-2007, 09:01 AM
If you want to express that you believe you would learn the job quickly, even if a bit under experienced, try to remember a situation where you've picked some task up quickly (particularly, at your current job) and make sure you include that in the interview. I haven't had a ton of interviews but I've never felt that acknowledging my weak points hurt my chances. In fact, being up front about the areas you need to improve in and having some sort of plan on how to do so seems like a positive to me.

For example, "While my experience here at Corporation X has been generally in the Area Y, I've had numerous conversations with Judy who specializes in Area Z and she's been/agreed to give me some practice material to work with and pointers on how to improve my technique."

Good luck!

Kat
07-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Well, I think my interview went okay, but not great (I'm just not good at interviewing!). One of my interviewers said that I would likely be called for a second interview. The husband of the other interviewer (I work with him) said things were "looking good" for me. So it's hopeful, but it's not over yet. :sigh:

bellisimo
07-13-2007, 06:53 AM
sounds like you got positive feedback...keep your head up...you'll be fine :)