PDA

View Full Version : Dan Patrick to leave ESPN

Tom White
07-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Dan Patrick just announced that he will be leaving ESPN as of Aug. 17th. He said something about "going out on his own" and being a free agent. Makes me think he will be doing a syndicated show of some sort.

Hopefully ESPN will do a better job of replacing Patrick than they did when they replaced Kornheiser with Cowherd!

Unclebuck
07-09-2007, 02:15 PM
I didn't hear what he had to say, but is he just leaving ESPN radio or ESPN altogether.

Personality I was sad when Kornheiser left - his radio show was so unique and I really enjoyed it. Dan Patrick''s radio show seems like a dime a dozen and I won't miss him because his show just isn't unique

Roy Munson
07-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Dan Patrick just announced that he will be leaving ESPN as of Aug. 17th. He said something about "going out on his own" and being a free agent. Makes me think he will be doing a syndicated show of some sort.

Hopefully ESPN will do a better job of replacing Patrick than they did when they replaced Kornheiser with Cowherd!

I like Patrick less than I like Cowherd. Both have their moments of annoying me, but Patrick has them more often. He is the whiniest person on the radio. He'll be easy to replace. Hey, maybe they move Cowherd into his time slot.

avoidingtheclowns
07-09-2007, 02:17 PM
i suppose this means rosie will want this job too

Robobtowncolt
07-09-2007, 02:17 PM
Maybe he was offered a position of Co-co-president of basketball operations with the Pacers?

JayRedd
07-09-2007, 02:18 PM
:fireworks :fireworks :fireworks :fireworks :fireworks :fireworks

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

:dancingba :djmixing: :dancingba

:ohyeah:

:sparta: :sparta: :sparta:

cramerica
07-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Thank god. I couldn't stand his show. One of the worst ones on the radio.

esabyrn333
07-09-2007, 02:23 PM
I personally love the Herd. If the move Collin or not I think Doug Gottlieb should have either Dan's slot or Collin's spot. I like his radio shows. But if I could have one wish I would wish they would Canel Jim Rome's show because it suck horrible and my espn radio cuts Collins last hour and time delays dan's show to kill me with Rome's show :suicide:

Doug in CO
07-09-2007, 02:29 PM
The only ones worth listening to on ESPN is The Herd (great) and to a MUCH lesser degree Dan Patrick...

if you want to listen to good sports talk, the gold standard, listen to Mike and the Mad Dog on www.wfan.com - but you have to like baseball or wait for the fall

spreedom
07-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I hate both Patrick's show and the Herd..

My prediction: Dan is hosting The Price Is Right when it returns to the air.

Tom White
07-09-2007, 02:31 PM
I didn't hear what he had to say, but is he just leaving ESPN radio or ESPN altogether.

Personality I was sad when Kornheiser left - his radio show was so unique and I really enjoyed it. Dan Patrick''s radio show seems like a dime a dozen and I won't miss him because his show just isn't unique

As far as the TV part he left that a bit open, but he is leaving the ESPN radio side entirely.

I know that a number of people here don't care for him, and I've never understood that. I have a really difficult time listening to Cowherd, such as recently when he would spent about half the show talking about Paris Hilton. Come on Cowherd, we don't care about her, get back on sports, for cryin' out loud.

I do have to say that I enjoyed Dan Patrick's show more when he was teamed with Dibble. That gave a good contrast. I also really like the show when he and Olberman are on together.

I also agree with UB about Kornheiser. I really, really miss hearing his show, and of course, old guy radio!

JayRedd
07-09-2007, 02:33 PM
The only ones worth listening to on ESPN is The Herd (great) and to a MUCH lesser degree Dan Patrick...

if you want to listen to good sports talk, the gold standard, listen to Mike and the Mad Dog on www.wfan.com (http://www.wfan.com) - but you have to like baseball or wait for the fall

If you enjoy Mike and the Mad Dog, you might think this is funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppKLhlpkKyg

There's a link to the real Mad Dog tirade in the "related" box.

Tom White
07-09-2007, 02:35 PM
I hate both Patrick's show and the Herd..

My prediction: Dan is hosting The Price Is Right when it returns to the air.

He already shot that rumor down.

Unclebuck
07-09-2007, 02:43 PM
I've never really listened to Mike and the Mad Dog - although I've heard some highlights from time to time. I know they are extremely popular in the NY market - I think they are the highest rated morning show in the whole NY area- which is amazing for a sports show.

I enjoy the Mike and Mike show on ESPN a lot. One way I can tell I really enjoy a sports talk radio show is when I enjoy listening even when they aren't discussing the NBA. I pretty much enjoy any show that discusses the NBA - but I enjoy the Mike and Mike show when they talk about sports that I don't like.

One guy that I cannot stand is Greg Rakestraw here in Indy on ESPN 950. Just the way he talks is so annoying - it is like he's yelling all the time and when he says things like "Lets talk all things Pacers" What in the heck does that mean - except that he uses the phrase "all things" way way too much. I like JMV much better

Frank Slade
07-09-2007, 02:45 PM
Yes it's bittersweet I guess.

I used to like his show around when Dibble was on there. It seemed like over the last three years or so he became less and less relevant., and alot more whinier and predictable. Four days out of five he would not only cover the exact same specific topics as the Herd and Mike and Mike but pose the exact same questions ?

Generally you can see if a topic was the hot one for the day or a certain incident. But when one shows pulls out of the air a certain question who's better this guy or that guy.. Dan would recite the same thing ?!

He would take it so personal during some interviews, when it wasn't going his way.

I remember how upset onetime when he called Edge in Miami during the contract holdout and was upset that he referred him to
his Agent Rosenhaus.

You got the feeling he got too comfortable as if the name Dan Patrick alone would carry the show...

This move was certainly for the best as far as his Radio Show is concerned.

Hopefully Uncle Reg can find a new slot somewhere with the Herd or Mike and Mike. I had a feeling Patrick's ratings had to be slipping, I don't know how much if a factor that was or not I am bit surprised that he is calling it quits altogether.

I missed Kornheiser's show as well and was intially not sure who or what the his Herd guy way. He is an aquired taste. He's the only one I know that's favorite drink is the same as mine (Fresca).
And that he wears shoe's with no laces almost exlusively as do I
certainly helps for me.

But I really enjoy his show most of the time. He keeps it moving., a different perspective. Not always all sports all the time, but neither was Kornheiser.

JayRedd
07-09-2007, 02:46 PM
* Disclaimer - I repeal all fireworks and dancing Bavettas if he's not leaving the TV studio as well. I'm not a fan of his radio show aside from when Stern is on really either, but I don't really listen to ESPN radio anyway. What I'm really hoping is that this means he will never return to the inside of my TV set.

Doug in CO
07-09-2007, 02:47 PM
I've never really listened to Mike and the Mad Dog - although I've heard some highlights from time to time. I know they are extremely popular in the NY market - I think they are the highest rated morning show in the whole NY area- which is amazing for a sports show.

They are on from 1-6:30... Imus was on in the morning, and by God's grace, will be back on the air soon

pwee31
07-09-2007, 02:49 PM
I've never like Dan Patrick.. good riddance

Tom White
07-09-2007, 02:54 PM
You got the feeling he got too comfortable as if the name Dan Patrick alone would carry the show...

Good thinking Frank.
Actually, he alluded to "starting to take it all for granted" as one of the reasons for leaving.

Hicks
07-09-2007, 02:59 PM
But who's going to relay Reggie's criticisms of the franchise if Dan's gone. :cry:

Tom White
07-09-2007, 03:02 PM
I enjoy the Mike and Mike show on ESPN a lot. One way I can tell I really enjoy a sports talk radio show is when I enjoy listening even when they aren't discussing the NBA. I pretty much enjoy any show that discusses the NBA - but I enjoy the Mike and Mike show when they talk about sports that I don't like.

One guy that I cannot stand is Greg Rakestraw here in Indy on ESPN 950. Just the way he talks is so annoying - it is like he's yelling all the time and when he says things like "Lets talk all things Pacers" What in the heck does that mean - except that he uses the phrase "all things" way way too much. I like JMV much better

Darn it UB, I'm sarting to agree with you too much today.

I listen to Mike and Mike each day and never get tired of them. As for Rakestraw, well... When he first started (When 950 became the ESPN affiliate) I liked the idea that there was an alternative to Mark Patrick (Whom I still cannot stomach.), however, as time has gone on I have found myself listening to darn near ANYTHING other than Rakestraw. I'll bet they talk more about golf than the darned Golf Channel does.

I wish the 1260 signal was better down here in Brown County, but such is the way of radio.

Unclebuck
07-09-2007, 03:13 PM
They are on from 1-6:30... Imus was on in the morning, and by God's grace, will be back on the air soon

My bad - I got confused.

cramerica
07-09-2007, 03:26 PM
I used to not be able to stand Mike and Mike, but I actually enjoy them now. I like the fact that they are on TV in the mornings too. Gives me something else to watch besides Cold Pizza (or whatever they call it now) and Sportscenter.

Kegboy
07-09-2007, 03:55 PM
To echo everyone's comments

- :woohoo:
- Yes, one hopes they do a better job than when they replaced Tony with Herd.
- :yes:
- The only time his show was good was when Dibble and Sean Salisbury were on there. It was tolerable with just Dibble. It was awful with just Dan. I never listened when Olberman was on, but he's a freakin' idiot, so I doubt he helped any.
- :happydanc
- If they were smart, they'd get Salisbury. He's doing a show out of Chicago now. If not him, maybe they can get Kasilius to come back from Nascar Now.
- And lastly, :yay2:

Wu-Gambino
07-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Good lord, how can anyone on an NBA board like the Herd? Cowherd knows absolutely nothing outside of football. Listening to him talk about the NBA or MLB is like listening to Skip Bayless.

I liked listening to the Big Show with Dan and Keith. Dan also always had Reggie and Barkley on, which made the show enjoyable.

Naptown_Seth
07-09-2007, 04:34 PM
As far as the TV part he left that a bit open, but he is leaving the ESPN radio side entirely.

I know that a number of people here don't care for him, and I've never understood that. I have a really difficult time listening to Cowherd, such as recently when he would spent about half the show talking about Paris Hilton. Come on Cowherd, we don't care about her, get back on sports, for cryin' out loud.

I do have to say that I enjoyed Dan Patrick's show more when he was teamed with Dibble. That gave a good contrast. I also really like the show when he and Olberman are on together.

I also agree with UB about Kornheiser. I really, really miss hearing his show, and of course, old guy radio!
I'm with you. I enjoy Patrick most of the time and esp. with KO, HATE Cowherd period. Cowherd is dreadful.

I listen to Tony Bruno instead. He and Mike and Mike are about the only sports radio I enjoy other than the DP show, and I prefer them to his show.

Frank Slade
07-09-2007, 04:39 PM
:ding:

- The only time his show was good was when Dibble and Sean Salisbury were on there. It was tolerable with just Dibble. It was awful with just Dan. I never listened when Olberman was on, but he's a freakin' idiot, so I doubt he helped any.
- :happydanc
- If they were smart, they'd get Salisbury. He's doing a show out of Chicago now. If not him, maybe they can get Kasilius to come back from Nascar Now.
- And lastly, :yay2:
:ding:

Maybe this clears the way for another Patrick to make his comeback to National Radio... Mark Patrick ? :D

Seriously I would not be surprised for the Herd to move to Dan's slot as Colin does try to appeal to the West Coast audience more.

Kasilius I have thought for ahwile could be next in line for a more prime time slot. He already has done the Sports Bash and is regular fill in for several shows. He knows enought in all of the major sports to pull it off.

Trey Wingo is another who has enough personality and knowledge of several areas of sports who if he wanted, I think could carry a show.

Or perhaps a combination of Schlereth "Stink" or Salisbury to co host with either of those could work.

Slick Pinkham
07-09-2007, 04:39 PM
a site I never heard of has been claiming for 3 days that Patrick would be fired, apparently in a contract dispute.

http://coedmagazine.com/news/934

too bad, he is so much better than Cowherd and like to talk to Reggie

Kegboy
07-09-2007, 04:50 PM
Trey Wingo impresses me whenever he fills in. I'd be very happy if it was him.

One would think they'll have to go with somewhat of a "name", not a John Siebel or Jason Smith.

I just remembered, Grace said a couple weeks ago that she heard they were gonna have a "big announcement" the next day, and when she tuned in, Bob Valvano (Jimmy's brother, used to do the overnight) was hosting. So, she was like, "is Dan gone?" Can't believe I forgot that.

Unclebuck
07-09-2007, 04:51 PM
It was awful with just Dan. I never listened when Olberman was on, but he's a freakin' idiot, so I doubt he helped any.

Thank you and I agree with you 1 billion %

Smashed_Potato
07-09-2007, 04:53 PM
It was awful with just Dan. I never listened when Olberman was on, but he's a freakin' idiot, so I doubt he helped any.

All the ESPN people are awful. their is no contest. alot of them have a bias when it comes to hating and loving someone.

Kegboy
07-09-2007, 04:54 PM
Thank you and I agree with you 1 billion %

Yeah, and now he's gonna be on Sunday Night Football. I can just see Bob Costas going slack-jawed at the stupidity.

Frank Slade
07-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Monday, July 9, 2007
Patrick will leave ESPN on Aug. 17 after 18 years
Updated: July 9, 2007, 4:53 PM ET

ESPN.com
BRISTOL, Conn. -- Dan Patrick is leaving ESPN.

Patrick, who has been with the network for 18 years, announced on his radio show Monday that he will appear on air for the last time Aug. 17. Norby Williamson, ESPN executive vice president for production, made a simultaneous announcement.

A news release said that the mutual agreement will allow Patrick to pursue new interests outside of ESPN.

The final week of Patrick's radio show, which started in 1999, will include a look back at memorable moments, interviews and guests.

"If there was animosity, I wouldn't be doing any radio shows after today," Patrick said on his show, adding, "I hope to be doing radio somewhere, somehow, down the road."

In a news release, Patrick said: "I feel privileged to have had this opportunity and I have extremely mixed emotions about leaving. With that said, I told ESPN that I believe it's time for me to try something different, something that will also be challenging and rewarding. While I'm not sure what that will be, I am grateful to ESPN for its willingness to allow me to pursue new endeavors."

Said Williamson: "Dan has accomplished so much over the past two decades at ESPN, and fans and newsmakers have turned to him for his steady and trusted approach. We wish him the very best."

Patrick was a "SportsCenter" anchor from 1989 to 2006, winning the National Sportscaster of the Year award from the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association in 2000. He also received a Sports Emmy Award in the Studio Host category in 1998.
Patrick has also written the column "Outtakes" for ESPN The Magazine. ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2930637&type=story)

Tom White
07-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Maybe this clears the way for another Patrick to make his comeback to National Radio... Mark Patrick ? :D

PLEASE NO!!!!

I wouldn't hire Mark Patrick to do local used car or aluminum awning ads much less screw up hours of perfectly good national air time with his self serving ego laden crap!

Unclebuck
07-09-2007, 08:20 PM
Yeah, and now he's gonna be on Sunday Night Football. I can just see Bob Costas going slack-jawed at the stupidity.

He is, are you sure?

Kegboy
07-09-2007, 08:34 PM
He is, are you sure?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-04-16-olbermann-nbc_N.htm

Just to be clear, I'm talking about Olbermann, not Dan.

Unclebuck
07-09-2007, 08:38 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2007-04-16-olbermann-nbc_N.htm

Just to be clear, I'm talking about Olbermann, not Dan.

Thanks, I must have missed that. I knew you weren't talking about Dan. I rarely watch Sunday night Football anyway, so it really doesn't impact me much, but seems like a strange move to me

grace
07-10-2007, 12:37 AM
Oh Happy Day!

I haven't liked Dan since Sean and Dibble left. I absolutly, to the bottom of my soul, cannot stand "The Big Show" with Oberman. I'd rather listed to Rome and that's saying something.

As for who will be replacing him I've decided to go outside the box for my nomination.

:kravitz:

Why? Well Kornheiser and Wilbon think he's great. Why should all of us hayseeds in Indianapolis be the only ones to know the greatness that is :kravitz: I think we should share his wisdom with the world. I mean Denver has survived quite well without him.

Besides, he can't be any more inept that the on air crap that already works for ESPN.

Kegboy
07-10-2007, 09:32 AM
:kravitz:

I'd be happy to be rid of him. The only problem is 950's station would surely be firebombed.

avoidingtheclowns
07-10-2007, 10:16 AM
i don't know who will replace patrick but i think whomever it is will be forced to have a segment called "The Lounge with JA Adande" now that he's bolted the LA Times and joined ESPN as a senior NBA writer.

i actually thought the only listenable part of the dan patrick show was "the Big Show" - somehow having another giant ego tempered dan's massive ego. they've got great chemistry which is why i enjoyed them on sportcenter for so many years.

efx
07-10-2007, 10:29 AM
I had no idea that Olbermann was going to go back to sports on the side. That's great, I wish him the best and I'll be sure to tune into that show in the future now.

avoidingtheclowns
07-10-2007, 10:41 AM
I had no idea that Olbermann was going to go back to sports on the side. That's great, I wish him the best and I'll be sure to tune into that show in the future now.

i like keith, but this move for NBC seems really odd... how many people do they need in the studio? i don't entirely see how its going to work... if costas was leaving i'd understand but as it is... all i think it really is NBC wanting airtime on a national network for keith to promote countdown. YAY CROSSOVER EPISODES!

smitty_08
07-10-2007, 04:26 PM
Dan Patrick is all over wikipedia and google for those who want some unofficial research.

cheers

[edit] Departure from ESPN/ABC/ESPN Radio
On July 9,2007, Patrick on his radio show announced his departure from ESPN/ABC effective August 17, 2007, stating, "I am leaving ESPN August 17th to go out on my own and be a free agent." "I think I was starting to take it (ESPN) for granted," Patrick says. He says ESPN tried to talk him out of it. If there were any animosity, he says, "I wouldn't be sticking around until August."

ESPN's statement released to the media said that Patrick would be released from his contract August 31, 2007 exactly 1 year early from his deal that was to run until August 31, 2008. The statement also said this would be the final comment on Patrick's situation on ESPN airways. "ESPN contractually bans all employees from making specific announcements of their futures on their airways, but out of respect to Dan and all he's done for ESPN we allowed him an opportunity to end the speculation".

Frank Slade
07-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Ebersol expects the former ESPN SportsCenter anchor to ruffle feathers. "I'm sure there'll be some phone calls from the league," said Ebersol.

But Olbermann said he'll limit his opinions to football, not the Bush administration or politics. "I'm not going in there with an agenda. I've been a sportscaster longer than I've been a commentator," he said. USA Today

Well let's hope so.
Olbermann the Sportscaster >>>>Olbermann the Polictical News Anchor.
I'm sure it will work out better than Limbaught did on NFL Countdown.. right ?

Costas, Collinsworth, Pete King, and KO. That's alot of "Character" to put it nicely, to fit into one studio. I can't wait.

grace
07-10-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm sure it will work out better than Limbaught did on NFL Countdown.. right ?

Wrong.

circlecitysportsfan
07-11-2007, 12:00 AM
All the ESPN people are awful. their is no contest. alot of them have a bias when it comes to hating and loving someone.

Correct. As for Patrick, I heard he was going to merge with Tom Brady and become one of his balls.