PDA

View Full Version : Star: Feel Good Owens Article

Kegboy
07-09-2007, 09:46 AM
Not really worth it's own thread, but I didn't want to bring down Buck's thread with my negativity. If this is already common knowledge, sorry, but hey, enjoy the Owen's article then.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070709/SPORTS04/707090350/1247/SPORTS

D-League works for Pacers' Owens
<!--PRINTER FRIENDLY ARTICLE-->
By Mike Wells
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript><!--document.write(''+'mike.wells'+'@'+'indystar.com'+ ' (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/+)');//--></SCRIPT>mike.wells@indystar.com (mike.wells@indystar.com)
July 9, 2007

The thought never crossed Andre Owens' mind.

Owens could have followed the money over the ocean and played professionally in Europe after being released by Golden State before the start of last season.

Rather than jump at the money, Owens, a former Perry Meridian High School standout, played for the Anaheim (Calif.) Arsenal in the Development League because he felt that would get him back to the NBA quicker.

"I always set my goals high," said Owens, who spent his rookie season with the Utah Jazz. "I'm an NBA player and I will always be an NBA player."
Owens may not have had to play in the D-League last season if he hadn't broken his leg playing for the Jazz against the San Antonio Spurs during the 2005-06 season.

Owens continued to play after injuring his leg because he thought it was only a bruise.

Owens was traded to Golden State last summer, but he never got a chance to show the Warriors coaching staff what he could do because his leg wasn't fully recovered.

Owens, who was still getting paid by the Warriors, signed with the Arsenal and averaged 16.6 points, 5.7 rebounds and 3.1 assists in 50 games.

"The D-League is where I got healthy," said Owens, who played one season (2000-01) for Indiana University before transferring to Houston. "It was the best thing for me. It's there that I got my confidence, my strength and my explosiveness back."

Owens was one of three players -- with Kareem Rush and Stephen Graham -- the Pacers signed last week. While Rush and Graham got guaranteed contracts, Owens got a partially guaranteed deal.

Owens, who was one of the bright spots during the Pacers' rookie/free agent camp last week, considers himself a combo guard because of his ability to play both backcourt positions. The Pacers, however, see him as a point guard.

"I consider myself a playmaker," Owens said. "I've been playing point guard all my life, so it comes natural playing there. I'm just doing what coach asks me to do, and that's run the team."

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien added, "If a guy is particularly good at one thing, they shouldn't be just good at it, they should be great at it because it helps turn heads."

O'Brien's demanding coaching is nothing new to Owens. He spent a season playing for Utah's Jerry Sloan, a respected coach around the league who knows how to get the best out of his players.

"If you can play for coach Sloan, you can play for anybody," Owens said. "I feel like he's one of the toughest coaches in the league. He's very disciplined. Coaches like that, I feel they get more out of their players. If you give 100 percent, he always finds a way to get 110 percent out of you."

RoboKegboy
07-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Already been posted:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=32127

Dumbass.

Kegboy
07-09-2007, 10:04 AM
:blush:

Perhaps I should change the title to "Star: Feel Good Owens Article"

And Robo, you might want to update your Avy. Looks squatty.

RoboKegboy
07-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks.

NuffSaid
07-09-2007, 05:42 PM
Well, at first glance it looks like Rush and Graham were worth inking to guaranteed contracts. Rush scored 20 pts while Graham wasn't far behind w/19 pts in their first Summer League outing for the Pacers who beat the Bulls' Summer League team, 93-89.

You can review the box scores (http://www.nba.com/media/magic/070907_chiind.pdf) here.