PDA

View Full Version : infections...

immortality
07-08-2007, 04:38 PM
haha, I thought pacers fans might find this interesting:

The Oregonian's Jason Quick in his Behind the Blazers Beat blog: "I think Greg Oden is wiped out. He is obviously tiring of the media, which seemingly hounds his every step. The playful, engaging and funny Oden has been replaced by a docile, uninterested and terse kid. I think he wants to be left alone and just play basketball, but hey, when you are the No. 1 overall pick, this is part of the gig. It will be interesting to see how he handles it. I also think his sinus infection is bugging him. He is not in good shape right now, in part because he spent so much of his pre-draft time flying around the country for various meetings, interviews and appearances. He has spent little time working out, and it's showing. I think fatigue was part of the reason he was in such ridiculous foul trouble on Friday against the Celtics. He had 10 fouls -- the maximum allowed in summer league play -- and many of them were the result of reaching, or not moving his feet quick enough. That tells me he is tired. Also, one thing to note about his fouls: Many of them were after a guard had penetrated, forcing Oden to switch coverage from his man. Often times he wasn't quick enough to make the switch. Again, fatigue." That's all fine, right. But I ask you, oh ye with influence over Greg Oden's schedule -- does that really sound like a guy who needs time away from the team in the middle of summer league to fly to Los Angeles to be part of the ESPYs? Seems like the celebrity part of the job has him exhausted already. I'd like his head on a basketball court or on a pillow, not glaring into more TV cameras.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-26-19/Summer-League-Notes.html

Y2J
07-08-2007, 05:24 PM
The Portland media already making a ton of excuses for Greg "Overhyped" Oden.

tinsley#11
07-08-2007, 05:49 PM
He needs to give Tinsley a call and get some of his medicine that works so well.

naptown
07-08-2007, 07:21 PM
He needs to give Tinsley a call and get some of his medicine that works so well.

I am sure Tins has an extra dime bag for the big fella......

Slick Pinkham
07-08-2007, 08:08 PM

Yeah, we all know how vitally important this summer league games are, when guys like Nikoloz Tskitishvili and John Lucas III are named summer league MVPs. Then the games start for real and they can't keep a job.

It is a glorifed workout and that's it.

rexnom
07-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I'd trade the entire Pacers roster for Greg "Overhyped" Oden and then have him play with 14 bums off the street...

Y2J
07-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Yeah, we all know how vitally important this summer league games are, when guys like Nikoloz Tskitishvili and John Lucas III are named summer league MVPs. Then the games start for real and they can't keep a job.

It is a glorifed workout and that's it.

So the so-called next great big man playing horridly against a group of scrubs shouldn't be even a slight concern? I understand taking great summer league play with a grain of salt, but poor summer league play? What's the excuse for that? Yes, yes, I know it was one game, but it just furthers my speculation that Oden isn't the player the media has overhyped him as being. I think he'll still be very good, but more on par with, say, Alonzo Mourning than Shaq.

SoupIsGood
07-08-2007, 09:34 PM
Greg Ostertag tore Tim Duncan apart in TD's first summer league game...

Kegboy
07-08-2007, 09:38 PM
As Maurice Cheeks said, Tim Duncan got owned by Greg Ostertag in his first summer league game. Yes, the fouls are a concern, and anybody who followed him knew that's the biggest flaw in his game. But he's still the best big man to come out in 10 years.

d_c
07-08-2007, 09:43 PM
So the so-called next great big man playing horridly against a group of scrubs shouldn't be even a slight concern? I understand taking great summer league play with a grain of salt, but poor summer league play? What's the excuse for that? Yes, yes, I know it was one game, but it just furthers my speculation that Oden isn't the player the media has overhyped him as being. I think he'll still be very good, but more on par with, say, Alonzo Mourning than Shaq.

Many years ago a lot of us Warrior fans watched this Gilbert Arenas guy in the Long Beach Summer League. For whatever reason he looked pretty damn ordinary, as you would expect from a 2nd round pick. He barely stood out amongst a bunch of summer league players. I saw Monta Ellis a couple summers ago in person and he barely stood out against a Cavs summer league squad that had the likes of John Gilchrest and John Lucas III. Those 2 guys thoroughly dominated against the Warriors summer league backcourt. Ellis didn't even look like a guy who would have made our team in that game, although he really did come alive two days later in a game against the Wiz.

Also Dwight Howard from a couple summers ago was racking up 9 foul games as well and hardly dominating the way he's been doing during the regular season.

Summer league can be interesting to watch, but it's ability to gauge success during the real NBA season is most definitely not consistent amongst all players.

bulldog
07-08-2007, 09:48 PM
However, many expected Oden to be an automatic contributor on the NBA level from the get-go.

I don't think the summer league will be an indicator of how his career will turn out, but it seems to me like he needs a lot of development before he can be a solid contributor.

Shade
07-08-2007, 10:06 PM

LeBron James was firing up airballs during his first preseason.

Oden is going to be every bit as good as people say he is. I've watched him play a lot. He's basically a finesse version of Shaq.

spreedom
07-08-2007, 10:43 PM
He's basically a finesse version of Shaq.

That doesn't make any sense to me.. Shaq is basically the antithesis of Shaq, so saying "a finesse version of Shaq" sounds like an oxymoron to me. Not to sound stupid or uptight or anything, but I can't get any kind of mental image of a Shaq type playing a finesse game..

indyman37
07-08-2007, 10:52 PM
Greg Oden has had the sinus infection since before the draft even. I don't think this is something he is making up to excuse himself from crappy perfomances.

BlueNGold
07-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Don't worry about Oden. Give the man...er boy...some time. Oden was playing against much smaller high school players just last year and only had a partial season at OSU. Now, he has a big target on his back and is just trying to learn the NBA game against experienced guys desperately trying to make the league while the refs are calling ticky tack fouls.

Oden was dominated the first time he faced both Horford and Noah in the NCAA's. The next time around, it was a very, very different story. He obviously has the heart of a champion and will come back strong to a challenge. I think he will take this one as just another challenge.

Shade
07-08-2007, 11:18 PM
That doesn't make any sense to me.. Shaq is basically the antithesis of Shaq, so saying "a finesse version of Shaq" sounds like an oxymoron to me. Not to sound stupid or uptight or anything, but I can't get any kind of mental image of a Shaq type playing a finesse game..

I knew that would get some confusion when I typed it.

What I mean is, he has a game like Shaq's, but is quicker (though less bull-powerful). He also has the ability to be as unstoppable.

TripleThreat
07-08-2007, 11:26 PM
My cousin works for a company that has St. Vincent Sports Medicine as a client. He has seen many an NBA player in person, during private workouts, and he walked away from his Oden meeting at SVSM simply dumbfounded...how could someone THAT big be THAT good?

He was running through some of the drills with the point guards, and holding his own in the ball handling drills. There were PG's there who were getting visibly upset that a Oden was basically showing them up at their games.

Once he gets back to basketball, he will be just fine. Overhyped? Only time will tell, but if I'm a betting man...I'm putting my money on Oden.

Just my $0.02, FWIW

JayRedd
07-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Shaq is basically the antithesis of Shaq

To which I retort: I think, therefore I am.

NuffSaid
07-09-2007, 12:46 PM
:laugh:...Now, that's funny!

As to Oden's first outting in summer league play, I was surprised nobody here posted anything about him fouling out or being virtually in effective his first game. Yeah, it's only summer league play, but man when you hype up a player like him and get those kinds of results...well, do you blame it on butterflies, poor health (i.e., a sinus infection), dumb luck or perhaps too much was made of him being the Trailblazer's savior, ala, LeBron for the Cavs?

I'm sure he'll get better w/time, but the fact they I didn't read any "I told you so" posts says either: a) he's being given the benefit of the doubt by practically everyone; or, b) Pacers fans just don't care about a local product gone over to the Westside. :p

ilive4sports
07-09-2007, 12:54 PM
I know why no one is calling Oden out. Everyone likes him. He is a nice kid and a good guy. I think most people want to see him succeed. And it is the summer league. Sure when players do good in it, it can carry over into the season but as stated many great players have had bad summer leagues like Duncan and LeBron who were the two best players in the NBA finals. Remember he is 19 years old. He is still growing. I do expect him to make an impact this season but with that being said we have to give him time to complete that transition. With all the work this summer from summer league to team USA it will make him better because he is playing against more NBA talent than most people. Give the kid time.

spreedom
07-09-2007, 12:54 PM

To which I retort: I think, therefore I am.

Harsh, I didn't even catch that until today..

Kegboy
07-09-2007, 01:06 PM
:laugh:...Now, that's funny!

As to Oden's first outting in summer league play, I was surprised nobody here posted anything about him fouling out or being virtually in effective his first game. Yeah, it's only summer league play, but man when you hype up a player like him and get those kinds of results...well, do you blame it on butterflies, poor health (i.e., a sinus infection), dumb luck or perhaps too much was made of him being the Trailblazer's savior, ala, LeBron for the Cavs?

I'm sure he'll get better w/time, but the fact they I didn't read any "I told you so" posts says either: a) he's being given the benefit of the doubt by practically everyone; or, b) Pacers fans just don't care about a local product gone over to the Westside. :p

Check the summer league thread.

JayRedd
07-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Harsh, I didn't even catch that until today..

Just trying to elevate myself to your existential plane. ;)

ChicagoJ
07-09-2007, 04:14 PM
And David Harrison flat-out owned Bogut in his first summer league game.

Anybody that doesn't work 70+ hours a week in the basketball department of an NBA franchise and thinks they can get something meaningful out of a summer league game is full of something...

I can't believe they televise those games now.