PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Impressed by O’Brien’s Energy {Pacers.com}

Raskolnikov
07-08-2007, 10:49 AM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/rfa_veterans_070708.html

Veterans Impressed by O’Brien’s Energy

By Emily Cerling | July 8, 2007<hr> Veteran Pacers Danny Granger and Shawne Williams did not have to come to the Pacers' rookie and free agent camp in Conseco Fieldhouse but it certainly did not hurt. In order to get some extra time with Coach Jim O’Brien and to prepare for the Summer League games in Orlando, beginning Monday afternoon against Chicago, the two volunteered to hit the court.

With a new coach, Granger says it is a great opportunity to play.
<table align="right" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/danny_granger.jpg
<center>Granger</center></td></tr></tbody></table>
“You have to un-train yourself from the year before,” he said.

The 6-8 forward said he has an advantage of attending the camp because it helps “to get accustomed to the system. Everything’s new. We got different things we’re doing offensively, so I kind of wanted to get a head start on everything.”

O’Brien is happy to see his young players on the court as well. “Danny and I thought it was a great chance for things we were trying to accomplish,” he said.

“It's a different coach, it's a different everything,” Williams said. “A lot of stuff (former coach) Rick (Carlisle) taught me is different from what Coach O’Brien has taught me. I’m trying to take things one step at a time and learn as much as I can.”

Granger and Williams are definitely getting a feel for their new coach’s style, but they are also getting to know him as a person.

“I love his enthusiasm. He’s telling us like it is. He’s teaching us to play hard,” Granger said.
<table align="right" width="65"><tbody><tr><td>http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/shawne_williams.jpg
<center>Williams</center></td></tr></tbody></table>
“It’s definitely more intense. He’s not a screamer, but he’s definitely loud. Carlisle was a little more laid back,” Williams said. “He looks so old, but he acts like he’s 22 years old, so I guess that’s a great coach.”

Even Coach O’Brien did not have to take charge of the camp practices, but he decided to anyway.

“I always conduct these practices because that’s how I have fun in life,” he said.

O’Brien is taking this opportunity to examine the players as well as concentrate on those who have already signed with the Pacers. He also has a chance to get hands-on experience with his veteran players.

“They pick things up well and they serve as a great example to the other guys,” O’Brien said.

Noteworthy: On Saturday, the Pacers waived former University of Indianapolis standout David Logan as well as Kenyon Gamble from their Rookie/Free Agent Camp roster. That roster now stands at 13.

SoupIsGood
07-08-2007, 10:51 AM
He looks so old

:D

Bball
07-08-2007, 11:26 AM
When I saw "Veterans" in the title I was expecting more than a couple of players that have 2 or less years under their belts. I'm glad to see Granger and Williams taking an interest though.

-Bball

Harddrive7
07-08-2007, 11:47 AM
When I saw "Veterans" in the title I was expecting more than a couple of players that have 2 or less years under their belts. I'm glad to see Granger and Williams taking an interest though.

-Bball

I was hoping that there would be more as well. So is that it? Only 2 years or less can participate in this particular camp?

Karmakillaz
07-08-2007, 12:29 PM
I dont think if Tinsley or JO wanted to show up and participate they would say no.

BlueNGold
07-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Granger and Williams will be the vets by the time this summer is over...

317Kim
07-08-2007, 04:11 PM
I'm glad to see Danger and Shawne's enthusiasm towards Jim and the upcoming season.

OnlyPacersLeft
07-08-2007, 04:51 PM
granger isn't even in summer league tho?

Unclebuck
07-08-2007, 05:45 PM
granger isn't even in summer league tho?

I think the practices are more important for a veteran like DG

OnlyPacersLeft
07-08-2007, 05:57 PM
yeah maybe granger can learn how to shoot the open 3...and if he is guarded learn how to pump fake and get to the rim. HIGHER PERCENTAGE SHOTS is what Jim O'brien needs to be preaching!

JayRedd
07-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Danny is actually our longest tenured Pacer aside from JO, Tins, Foster and Hulk.

NorCal_Pacerfan
07-09-2007, 12:42 AM
He looks so old... lmao!

Naptown_Seth
07-09-2007, 12:46 PM
I think the practices are more important for a veteran like DG
I agree. Summer ball is more like proof-of-concept than the actual learning point. It's a chance to see if a guy has it, how he reacts and perhaps to allow a player to try out stuff he's learned in live action. But the action is so sketchy that you can't fully trust it.

To me it's more about seeing who has the instincts and the ability to make good on those instincts. Plenty of guys will shine at times and vets don't always blow people away on stats, but when you watch you can usually spot the polished or talented players I think.

JayRedd
07-09-2007, 12:58 PM
I agree. Summer ball is more like proof-of-concept than the actual learning point. It's a chance to see if a guy has it, how he reacts and perhaps to allow a player to try out stuff he's learned in live action. But the action is so sketchy that you can't fully trust it.

To me it's more about seeing who has the instincts and the ability to make good on those instincts. Plenty of guys will shine at times and vets don't always blow people away on stats, but when you watch you can usually spot the polished or talented players I think.

Yup. I'd much rather Danny hang out in a gym by himself all summer and work on coming off screens, trying to develop a quicker release, ball-handling and dribble-drive moves than running up and down a court with inferior players and developing habits/crutches that likely won't work when he puts the big-boy pants back on in November.

Naptown_Seth
07-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Yup. I'd much rather Danny hang out in a gym by himself all summer and work on coming off screens, trying to develop a quicker release, ball-handling and dribble-drive moves than running up and down a court with inferior players than him and developing habits/crutches that likely won't work when he puts the big-boy pants back on in November.
It certainly did nothing for Shawne today. I didn't think he was in his natural role on offense and his stats seem to agree.

Rush they put into a game planned spot to get 3 pt catch and shoots. Otherwise this was a pick-up game. I was a little disappointed at the overall talent on the Pacers summer team this year.