PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

ilive4sports
07-07-2007, 12:52 PM
With all this trade talk going on and Kravitz bashing the Pacers for being inactive this offseason, it made me think. Maybe the Pacers should wait before trading Jermaine. Not wait a full year just until February or so. JO can opt out after the season(correct me if im wrong), so basically he is in a contract year. Now he probably wont get paid as much as he will now if he stays with us for the remainder of his contract but he can still raise his stock with a MVP type season he had a few years ago. We all know how players usually play in contract years so why would JO be any different? Im projecting a really good year for Jermaine so why trade him right away? Lets use him for all hes worth. Let his stock rise. Also when the season gets underway teams will look to add a piece to put them closer to a title or just fix something they didnt in the offseason.
Right now what Larry and Donnie are doing is actually quite smart IMO. This team is not expected to be anything special right? Most people have us not making the playoffs. Keeping Jermaine for half the season doesnt hurt us one bit. Should he play like i believe he will, it will help us even more in the long run plus we would win some more games this season too. I think we need to keep JO and let him show the league that he is one of the best bigs out there and then trade him(or keep depending on whether he wants to be traded or we want to rebuild or well anything else for that matter) for all we can get. I think we would get a much better deal by waiting until January or February rather than trading him in July or August.

Kegboy
07-07-2007, 01:06 PM
There's certainly a school of thought for this. I'll just remind you that Donnie feels very strongly that deals are better done over the summer than in the season. I'm sure the fallout of the GS trade enforced that.

JayRedd
07-07-2007, 01:38 PM
There's certainly a school of thought for this. I'll just remind you that Donnie feels very strongly that deals are better done over the summer than in the season. I'm sure the fallout of the GS trade enforced that.

I think it's also a generally accepted fact that you usually get back less during the season. Teams that are contenders trying to "get over the hump" don't want to give up/change much of what they have going for them, and teams not in contention don't really have a reason to make a move.

In the offseason, teams are re-evaluating their whole strategy and make-up and generally seem more willing to make a big move and/or give up equal value in a deal.

robocop's cousin
07-07-2007, 09:48 PM
if theyre going to trade him,do it now I say

Anthem
07-07-2007, 11:28 PM
I think it's also a generally accepted fact that you usually get back less during the season.
I don't understand that logic. If I trade $1.00 for $.75, then sure I'm getting less back. But the other guy is getting more back. So if it's not a fair deal, it seems like a 50-50 shot of being on top.

Am I wrong in this?