PDA

View Full Version : Pistons and Pacers share NBDL team in Indiana...

Kstat
07-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Hoo boy...this outta be fun...

Um, its going to be awkward sharing a team with you guys.

http://www.nba.com/dleague/affiliates_070705.html

• The Detroit Pistons will re-connect to their roots in Fort Wayne, IN, as they will be affiliated with the new Fort Wayne Mad Ants. The Pistons entered the NBA in 1948 as the Fort Wayne Pistons. The Pistons will share their Mad Ants affiliation along with the Indiana Pacers.

Hicks
07-05-2007, 09:27 PM
Makes sense.

Kstat
07-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Hmm...Stanko and Mejia=domination?

We might be able to throw Chiek Samb in...

how's the max deal for Lorbek coming along? He could start at PF....

Frank Slade
07-05-2007, 09:51 PM
http://www.nbdlalbuquerque.com/media/dleague/fortwayne/ftwayne_poster_300.gif
:yay2:

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (AP) -- Fort Wayne's expansion team in the NBA Development League team will be known as the Mad Ants in honor of the city's namesake, Revolutionary War general "Mad" Anthony Wayne.

The nickname was picked by fans in a monthlong Internet poll. Other possible choices were Fire, Lightning and Coyotes.

The logo, designed by Jeff Dollens of Excell Color Graphics, shows a sinister-looking ant. Team colors, Dollens said, are "burgundy, crimson and gold."

"It took a lot of research first," Dollens said. "We looked up several different types of ants. We even watched the 'Antz' movies and looked on the Web, too, to get the overall feel of different types of ants. We then tried to make it look simple enough to be represented on the logo."

http://www.nbdlalbuquerque.com/media/dleague/fortwayne/ants_picnic_600.jpg

June 28, 2007 - The people of Fort Wayne are invited to get revenge on ants everywhere for past picnics gone awry! On Tuesday, July 10th, from 1:00pm to 5:00pm, the Fort Wayne Mad Ants cordially invite the public to their offices to walk away with their picnic food. We will have hot dogs, cookies, drinks, and – oh yeah – tickets! Don’t miss out on this opportunity to get to know your new NBA D-League team. Read Complete Release Link (http://www.nbdlalbuquerque.com/dleague/fortwayne/picnic_070628.html)

hmm good find Kstat, I'm sure I can think of a few good Pacers/Pistons promos they could have..

Stryder
07-05-2007, 09:54 PM
that has got to be the stupidest nickname for a professional team. seriously.

Kstat
07-05-2007, 09:55 PM
you would prefer the busy bees?

Kstat
07-05-2007, 09:55 PM
THink we can get Rick Carlisle to coach? :laugh:

Arcadian
07-05-2007, 10:04 PM

I like it.

It beats the Rim Rockers.

Trader Joe
07-05-2007, 10:08 PM
I actually kind of like the Mad Ants. I dunno.

Kstat
07-05-2007, 10:09 PM
I just like the logo.

The ant is wearing a stoner cap. nice.

BlueNGold
07-05-2007, 10:12 PM
The mascot should look pretty cool. That ant looks pi$$ed.

owl
07-05-2007, 10:14 PM
The name is weird but funky at the same time. I like it. Looks like the ant is wearing a sock hat.

Trader Joe
07-05-2007, 10:15 PM
The mascot should look pretty cool. That ant looks pi$$ed.

Hes mad dude. He is one ****ing MAD ANT!!! Do we even have anybody to stick on this team?

btowncolt
The dramatic prairie dogs?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/sevendead/pdog02.gif

Hicks
Pretty sure that's a headband.

One of the proposed names was Fire. Fort Wayne Fire, or Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Hmm... what to choose. They could have at least used some alliteration and gone with Angry Ants.

Trader Joe
07-05-2007, 10:16 PM

One of the proposed names was Fire. Fort Wayne Fire, or Fort Wayne Mad Ants. Hmm... what to choose. They could have at least used some alliteration and gone with Angry Ants.

What about Fort Wayne Fire Ants?

Roaming Gnome
07-05-2007, 10:18 PM
What is even harder to believe is that the name was "allegedly" selected in a "name the team" contest.

I just wonder if the Pacers will use the NBDL franchise in player development? Donnie wasn't too keen on using Albequrque because of the distance determining how long it would take to get a player back to Indy. He also made a comment about not having his people developing his talent.

Frank Slade
07-05-2007, 10:19 PM
I like it.

It beats the Rim Rockers.

Right, it's all relative when you actually see the other team names.

Teams listed with 2007-08 NBA affiliates
Albuquerque Thunderbirds Ok this is one of the few good ones.
Philadelphia 76ers, Phoenix Suns

Anaheim Arsenal
Atlanta Hawks, Los Angeles Clippers, Orlando Magic
Austin Toros At least it's not the Austin Texans...San Antonio Spurs
Bakersfield Jam Golden State Warriors, Sacramento Kings
Colorado 14ers Denver Nuggets, New Jersey Nets, Toronto Raptors
Dakota Wizards A for originality Memphis Grizzlies Washington Wizards

Fort Wayne Mad Ants :rock:Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers

Idaho Stampede Portland Trail Blazers Seattle Supersonics
Iowa Energy Chicago Bulls Miami Heat
Los Angeles D-Fenders you've got to come stronger than this?:rolleyes:LA Lakers
Rio Grande Valley Vipers Cleveland Cavaliers, Houston Rockets ,New Orleans Hornets
Sioux Falls Skyforce Charlotte Bobcats, Minnesota Timberwolves
Tulsa 66ers Dallas Mavericks, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Knicks
Utah Flash Boston Celtics,Utah Jazz

Trader Joe
07-05-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm stunned they don't have a franchise in New York yet.

Y2J
07-05-2007, 10:21 PM

They were named after the founder of Ft. Wayne, General "Mad" ANThony Wayne.

ABADays
07-05-2007, 10:22 PM
I wish they would have kept Fury but I would have sent in Ft. Wayne F'n Isiahs.

Hicks
07-05-2007, 10:27 PM
No love for Comets? :D

Kstat
07-05-2007, 10:27 PM
What is even harder to believe is that the name was "allegedly" selected in a "name the team" contest.

I just wonder if the Pacers will use the NBDL franchise in player development? Donnie wasn't too keen on using Albequrque because of the distance determining how long it would take to get a player back to Indy. He also made a comment about not having his people developing his talent.

Dumars has really gotten mileage out of it the last two years with Amir Johnson. He gave the coach special instructions on how he wanted Amir developed.

LG33
07-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Boston and Utah share a team? That makes sense.

Kegboy
07-05-2007, 10:38 PM

If he's too stupid to use such a valuable tool in his freakin' back yard, he needs to go.

Problem is, the only guy eligible to be sent down this year is Shawne, and I sure don't see that happening.

Roaming Gnome
07-05-2007, 10:38 PM
ABAdays,

I actually e-mailed and asked why Fury was not even considered in the names for the contest. I was told there was still bad blood and stepped on toes associated with Isiah and the way the Fury died. I was told they didn't want to dredge that back up.

StankoLover216
07-05-2007, 10:43 PM
STANKO NO PLAY D-LEAGUE! STANKO HUMAN NO MAD ANT!

Kegboy
07-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Right, it's all relative when you actually see the other team names.

Teams listed with 2007-08 NBA affiliates
Albuquerque Thunderbirds Ok this is one of the few good ones.
Philadelphia 76ers, Phoenix Suns

Anaheim Arsenal
Atlanta Hawks, Los Angeles Clippers, Orlando Magic
Austin Toros At least it's not the Austin Texans...San Antonio Spurs
Bakersfield Jam Golden State Warriors, Sacramento Kings
Colorado 14ers Denver Nuggets, New Jersey Nets, Toronto Raptors
Dakota Wizards A for originality Memphis Grizzlies Washington Wizards

Fort Wayne Mad Ants :rock:Detroit Pistons, Indiana Pacers

Idaho Stampede Portland Trail Blazers Seattle Supersonics
Iowa Energy Chicago Bulls Miami Heat
Los Angeles D-Fenders you've got to come stronger than this?:rolleyes:LA Lakers
Rio Grande Valley Vipers Cleveland Cavaliers, Houston Rockets ,New Orleans Hornets
Sioux Falls Skyforce Charlotte Bobcats, Minnesota Timberwolves
Tulsa 66ers Dallas Mavericks, Milwaukee Bucks, New York Knicks
Utah Flash Boston Celtics,Utah Jazz

Okay, I know the Spurs and Lakers actually own those teams, but it's an unfair advantage that they get complete control of a team and don't have to share, especially when some have to triple up.

Kegboy
07-05-2007, 10:47 PM
STANKO NO PLAY D-LEAGUE! STANKO HUMAN NO MAD ANT!

Stanko's not man enough to be a Mad Ant.

StankoLover216
07-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Stanko's not man enough to be a Mad Ant.

YOU ANGER STANKO! YOU NO LIKE STANKO WHEN HE ANGRY!

http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/StankoBarac/1166139032.jpg

STANKO SMASH OPPONENT!

Trader Joe
07-05-2007, 10:54 PM
YOU ANGER STANKO! YOU NO LIKE STANKO WHEN HE ANGRY!

http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/StankoBarac/1166139032.jpg

STANKO SMASH OPPONENT!

WTF mate?

Kegboy
07-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Check your PM's LG. I'm sure Soup just sent you a cease-and-desist letter on using Incredible Hulk comparisons for a Pacers player. His copyright with Harrison is still in effect. It'll clear when either his rookie contract expires or we trade his sorry ***.

Of course, you could argue that Stanko's not been signed, but that's dicey. Only chance you'd really have is if Able convenes an international tribunal to work it out. But that'll take years, and cost millions of dollars. Better just to comply and let it go.

idioteque
07-05-2007, 11:25 PM
Mad Ants doesn't bother me at all. Some of these D-League names are either terrible or forgettable. What you would prefer, the boring sounding Fort Wayne Fury or Fire or whatever it was?

Plus, they seemed to have made good use out of all the marketing connotations that the nickname has to offer. I like the picnic idea.

Shade
07-05-2007, 11:34 PM
The dramatic prairie dogs?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/sevendead/pdog02.gif

:brilliant

Evan_The_Dude
07-05-2007, 11:43 PM
The question is: Can you send GM's and President's of Basketball Operations to the D league?...

idioteque
07-05-2007, 11:44 PM
The question is: Can you send GM's and President's of Basketball Operations to the D league?...

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

SoupIsGood
07-06-2007, 12:01 AM
when either his rookie contract expires or we trade his sorry ***.

Neither of which will be happening after David wins MIP, DPOY, MVP, and OCGL* (all in the same season!).

*Overall Coolest Guy in the League, as voted on by Charles Barkley and Shawn Bradley.

BigDawg44
07-06-2007, 12:09 AM
while on the topic. do any of y'all have an in with the organization or any other team/university in indiana. i am trying to find an internship or summer job next summer and would love to work with the Mad Ants.

Big Smooth
07-06-2007, 12:28 AM
ABAdays,

I actually e-mailed and asked why Fury was not even considered in the names for the contest. I was told there was still bad blood and stepped on toes associated with Isiah and the way the Fury died. I was told they didn't want to dredge that back up.

That is too bad. The Fury was a cool name and the logo looked pretty nice.

Mad Ants is a play on the name of General Anthony Wayne so it actually makes a bit more sense for us folks around here. We have the Mad Anthony golf tournament every year.

I think it's pretty cool. A little goofy but truly unique and somewhat connected to the area.

Big Smooth
07-06-2007, 12:30 AM
Also the Memorial Coliseum is a pretty good venue to catch a basketball game. Not too many bad seats in the house. Some of you Indy folks should road trip for a game or tow. ;)

Peck
07-06-2007, 01:55 AM
Why am I afraid that the Mad Ants may be more exciting than our Pacers this year?

Kraft
07-06-2007, 02:19 AM
Why am I afraid that the Mad Ants may be more exciting than our Pacers this year?

You're not alone. That logo alone sells me that someone over there has their brain switched on.

This may be our only chance in a long time to contend for a championship.

Kstat
07-06-2007, 02:21 AM

Do we get two trophies or something?

Speed
07-06-2007, 07:55 AM
Is he Mad angry or Mad crazy?

or for all you Shakepere fans...

Mad, or mad in craft?

avoidingtheclowns
07-06-2007, 09:12 AM
Is he Mad angry or Mad crazy?

or for all you Shakepere fans...

Mad, or mad in craft?

yes

Mad Ants is a play on the name of General Anthony Wayne so it actually makes a bit more sense for us folks around here. We have the Mad Anthony golf tournament every year.

I think it's pretty cool. A little goofy but truly unique and somewhat connected to the area.

and Mad Anthony Brewing Company associated with Munchies.

naptownmenace
07-06-2007, 09:29 AM

Yeah... I'd actually prefer that name. :p

Why didn't they go with the knickname, The Fort Wayne Fire Ants? That makes more sense. At least a fire ant is a real insect.

owl
07-06-2007, 09:49 AM
The Mad Ants is by far the coolest name in the minor league.
Sorta like the Shoals Jug Rox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jug_Rock
http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=005txz

Kegboy
07-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Sorry, but nothing will ever beat the Macon Whoopie.

NuffSaid
07-06-2007, 10:41 AM
You got that right!

I prefer the Ft. Wayne Fire, or at the very least "Fire Ants" instead of "Mad Ants".

Sorry, but nothing will ever beat the Macon Whoopie.
Now that, my friends, is how to pick a catchy name for your franchise! :D

fwpacerfan
07-06-2007, 11:29 AM

At first I didn't like the name but it's growing on me. It is pretty cool to tie into the history of Mad Anthony Wayne and it gives a local flair. Too many times the lower level pro teams are afraid to get too 'local' with their names.

fwpacerfan
07-06-2007, 11:33 AM
You're not alone. That logo alone sells me that someone over there has their brain switched on.

From business dealings - trust me they have their brain switched on. The owner is the former CEO of AT&T Wireless. A very down to earth guy with good midwest roots. His son in law is a former Oregon State player who will be running the franchise. They are doing everything the right way and they will be a success.

Los Angeles
07-06-2007, 11:57 AM
By the way, I called the Pistons and Pacers sharing a team in Fort Wayne the moment the NBDL was announced.

Feel my power. :flex:

idioteque
07-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah... I'd actually prefer that name. :p

Why didn't they go with the knickname, The Fort Wayne Fire Ants? That makes more sense. At least a fire ant is a real insect.

If you check out where the name of the team actually came from, well then you'd understand why they're the Mad Ants and not the Fire Ants.

grace
07-06-2007, 01:23 PM

Nope. The stupidest name is when you name your hockey team after a kids team in a movie. Every time I hear "Mighty Ducks" I think of the fat kid they strapped to the goal. Dropping "Mighty" from the name doesn't stop the flashbacks.

Naptown_Seth
07-06-2007, 01:45 PM
It's a natural progression isn't it? :)

I love the name and logo myself. And it's a NBDL team that is within driving range for Pacers and Pistons fans if you really want to check out a guy like James White (DOH)...well, whomever. :)

Because 35 three pointers per game isn't exciting to you? Just guessing.

JayRedd
07-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Mad Ants is pretty lame name, but if it's named for a soldier than it's acceptable.

But I still have a hard time taking this league seriously with two teams named the 14ers and the 66ers.

The highway is the best mascot yall can think of?

Nope. The stupidest name is when you name your hockey team after a kids team in a movie. Every time I hear "Mighty Ducks" I think of the fat kid they strapped to the goal. Dropping "Mighty" from the name doesn't stop the flashbacks.

I have a feeling they'll be dropping the "Mad" within the decade as well. Just a hunch.

kybjones
07-06-2007, 04:33 PM

I'd rather we give John Long or Michael Williams a shot.

Shack80
07-06-2007, 08:06 PM
I like the Mad Ants better than FT waynes minor league baseball teams name, now that is a lkme name for a sports team.

Big Smooth
07-06-2007, 11:04 PM
I like the Mad Ants better than FT waynes minor league baseball teams name, now that is a lkme name for a sports team.

Yeah then they changed the mascot from a Wizard to a Dragon. Makes sense to me! :D

Cozy little stadium the Wizards have but it's getting demolished for a downtown ballpark now. I don't see much reason for it but I guess they want to act like downtown Fort Wayne is downtown Indy. Kind of lame. The new stadium will literally be built where I currently park my car for work and I can attest it's not some great location or anything.

fwpacerfan
07-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Yeah then they changed the mascot from a Wizard to a Dragon. Makes sense to me! :D

Cozy little stadium the Wizards have but it's getting demolished for a downtown ballpark now. I don't see much reason for it but I guess they want to act like downtown Fort Wayne is downtown Indy. Kind of lame. The new stadium will literally be built where I currently park my car for work and I can attest it's not some great location or anything.

Downtown FW will never get like downtown Indy without investment and new projects. If the owners of the baseball team are willing to pony up millions of dollars to help fund a new stadium I say it's a good thing. Especially when the stadium is part of project that will bring more private investment into downtown Fort Wayne in one project than has been invested in the last 10 years combined.

Ragnar
07-09-2007, 10:43 AM
The team is named after General <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-10" style="background-color: Cyan; color: black;">Anthony</layer> Wayne nicknamed <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-0" style="background-color: Yellow; color: black;">Mad</layer> <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-11" style="background-color: Cyan; color: black;">Anthony</layer> hence the <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-1" style="background-color: Yellow; color: black;">Mad</layer> Antz.

We have the <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-2" style="background-color: Yellow; color: black;">mad</layer> <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-12" style="background-color: Cyan; color: black;">Anthony</layer> Golf tournament mentioned earlier in this most and the <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-3" style="background-color: Yellow; color: black;">Mad</layer> <layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-13" style="background-color: Cyan; color: black;">Anthony</layer> brewing company. The city is Named Fort WAYNE after general Wayne. They could not have picked a more appropriate name for a team in this city.

here is some info on our crazy namesake. http://www.ushistory.org/valleyforge/served/wayne.html

http://www.earlyamerica.com/review/fall96/<layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-14" style="background-color: Cyan; color: black;">anthony</layer>.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/<layer id="google-toolbar-hilite-15" style="background-color: Cyan; color: black;">Anthony</layer>_Wayne

The Wizards is a crappy name thats our baseball teams name. They let the public pick and the public screwed up.

FlavaDave
07-09-2007, 11:18 AM
"Mad" Anthony Wayne is the Jedidiah Springfield of Ft. Wayne. You learn about him in history classes and you write essays about him in elementary school. Many events and local businesses are named after him, and any person named Tony in the city automatically is given the "Mad" nickname. If you've ever spent time in Ft. Wayne, you would realize how much sense the name makes.

Plus, minor league teams are supposed to have quirky names. This should be a law.

JayRedd
07-09-2007, 11:56 AM
"Mad" Anthony Wayne is the Jedidiah Springfield of Ft. Wayne.

He was a murderous pirate with a prostetic tongue that tried to assassinate George Washington?

FlavaDave
07-09-2007, 01:11 PM
He was a murderous pirate with a prostetic tongue that tried to assassinate George Washington?

No, but he is the great great grandfather of Bruce Wayne. No bull.

"Finger offered such suggestions as giving the character a cowl instead of a simple domino mask (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domino_mask), a cape instead of wings, gloves, and removing the red sections from the original costume.<sup id="_ref-3" class="reference">[4] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Wayne#_note-3)</sup> Finger said he devised the name Bruce Wayne for the character's secret identity: "Bruce Wayne's first name came from Robert Bruce (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_I_of_Scotland), the Scottish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland) patriot. Wayne, being a playboy, was a man of gentry. I searched for a name that would suggest colonialism. I tried Adams, Hancock ... then I thought of Mad Anthony Wayne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Wayne)."

Apparently, in the early versions of the comic, Bruce is said to be a direct descendant of Anthony Wayne.

Also, John Wayne's first stage name was Anthony Wayne.

Kstat
07-17-2007, 04:23 AM
http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070717/SPORTS03/707170366/1051

Chieck Samb and Tony Mejia...gets your ants tickets right now!

(four rookies on the Piston roster? When was the last time that happened?)