PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else NOT like fireworks

Unclebuck
07-04-2007, 11:11 PM
I just don't get it. What is the thrill, they are the same every year and I just find them rather boring. It isn't that I hate them and I realize they are free (although tax payers pay for them to some degree) and yes I realize it is a tradition. Maybe if someone has never seen fireworks before in their entire lives, I could understand the thrill, but fireworks have been done to death.

This is the first year in about 15 that I actually went downtown to watch the big fireworks display and I was bored and glad when they were over.

Am I the only one.

DrBadd01
07-04-2007, 11:14 PM
No. I have never thought that Fireworks were all that special either. Tradition or not I have never been too impressed by them for any occasion.

Hicks
07-04-2007, 11:36 PM
I like'm.

Stryder
07-04-2007, 11:41 PM
I am starting to despise them. I tried going to bed (I have to get up at 5:00 am), but my neighbors are insisting on lighting them off (they have been since Sunday) and I still hear them outside now and it is 11:40 pm!

LoneGranger33
07-04-2007, 11:42 PM
You guys may be Communists...nah, who am I kidding? Communists love fireworks too!

Shade
07-04-2007, 11:43 PM
They've gotten boring, like UB said. It's extra annoying in my neighborhood, where they set the damn things off for the entire WEEK of July 4th.

idioteque
07-05-2007, 12:27 AM
I live in DC and it's pretty awesome to see them going off right by the Washington Monument. But when I lived in Indiana they bored me. So I guess I just have high standards.

SoupIsGood
07-05-2007, 12:49 AM
You guys are crazy. I love fireworks like Peck hates JO. 4th of July, and the days surrounding it, are like pure freaking heaven.

:fireworks :fireworks:fireworks

Kraft
07-05-2007, 02:38 AM
It's only exciting if I'm lighting the world on fire. Other people's explosions? Hogwash.

A sprinkler in my hand is worth 1,000 Indianapolis-area fireworks displays.

Arcadian
07-05-2007, 02:49 AM
I love them. I'd consider moving the Fourth of July closer to the winter solace just so I'd have a longer night to shoot them off. (Of course the Aussie's could could keep the Fourth of July where it is because summer is winter down there.)

bellisimo
07-05-2007, 04:13 AM
I prefer the fireworks in the the bedroom.... ;)

Kegboy
07-05-2007, 09:46 AM
I went downtown once when I was little and was extremely bored. I prefer watching my neighbors set off their highly illegal stashes. Though, it'd be nice if they could actually hold out until the 4th. There's one guy who's been setting stuff off every day for about two weeks. :rolleyes:

Hoop
07-05-2007, 03:22 PM
Fire! Fire!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Hooping/UncleBeavis.jpg

Lord Helmet
07-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Fire! Fire!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Hooping/UncleBeavis.jpg
FIREE FIRRREEE FFFFIREEEE!

ajbry
07-05-2007, 05:22 PM
I've never really enjoyed fireworks, because as you said, once you've seen a couple shows, you've seen them all. And I will never understand how setting off some fireworks is relevant to declaring our independence and eventually becoming the most powerful country in the world.

However, my neighbor was setting some off last night. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal even though they're illegal - but my other neighbor is a cop.

ChicagoJ
07-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Our neighbors in Indy once accidentally shot fireworks into our yard about a week before the fourth of July. How was I to know they were starting their drunken celebration so early? Anyway, I've never seen a St. Bernard act so pitiful and scared. Barney@Aisle20 was clearly not a fan of fireworks - the screen door never recovered.

We've got two sets of fireworks-loving neighbors in Illinois. The thirteen year old next door has already shot out the neighbor's picture window with his bb gun this year, and one of these days he'll blow up our new car. I got back from an errand yesterday and I think he asked me if I wanted to shoot one of the bottle rockets. I just walked into the house as if I didn't hear him.

Further down the street, we've got a family that loves the Fourth of July more than Christmas, so they spend as much on fireworks as they would normally spend on Christmas, and they put on a better show than many of the Chicago suburbs. And unlike the kid next door, they understand they should stop shooting off the fireworks at a reasonable time.

I don't mind the real fireworks shows. But I could do without neighbors shooting them off all night long.

bellisimo
07-05-2007, 06:21 PM
you guys should've been in Budapest during new year's eve 2005...for some reason they had made fireworks legal for all...the streets ended up feeling like a war zone with all the noise...lasted till 5am Jan 1st...its been banned since that day. =)

Big Smooth
07-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Fireworks are better appreciate while filthy drunk. I don't have much use for watching them while sober. But I guess I could say that about a lot of things including watching the Pacers lately. :p

Fillmoe
07-06-2007, 12:52 AM
used to like them when i was a kid... dont care for them too much anymore

Mr.ThunderMakeR
07-06-2007, 02:44 AM
Fireworks are better appreciate while filthy drunk. I don't have much use for watching them while sober. But I guess I could say that about a lot of things including watching the Pacers lately. :pWhat he said.

Getting ridculously trashed has become my own personal 4th of July tradition and it does make the fireworks shows more fun. Nothing better than screaming at the top of my lungs the words to God Bless the USA with a whole crowd of other drunken idiots. I realized yesterday that my New Years and 4th of July's are celebrated almost exactly the same now. In fact Im going to start calling it mini-New Years.

As for the neighbors with fireworks: dont really have that problem down here in AZ. Fireworks are pretty damn hard to come by down here. Dry desert bush + idiots with fireworks are not a good combination.

Bball
07-08-2007, 01:09 AM
I generally agree with UB's position here altho I have seen a decent fireworks display in Montreal that didn't bore me to death. But I was able to watch them from my hotel room and when I had the gist of it, I closed the curtains and went to bed.

The 'fire one shell into the air and let it shower down and then when that one is gone, fire another' style fireworks just bore me silly.

-bball

SoupIsGood
07-08-2007, 02:15 AM
This thread makes me sad inside.

bellisimo
07-08-2007, 06:18 AM
all depends on how you look at it...
if you're watching the fireworks by yourself...
yea i guess it can be boring...
if you're watching it with a date/girlfriend/etc...
then again you won't really be watching the fireworks ;)

indygeezer
07-08-2007, 09:56 AM
I go to Greenfield and am Bored to tears.

I go to New Palestine and they are OK (esp. if the Wright Bros. are there to sing)

The last time I went to Martinsville the fireworks were great but all the commercial food tents and blaring radio stations kinda ruined the atmosphere of what it used to be.

I used to have neighbors to the north of me that were at constant battles with the neighbors to the south of me. North LOVED fireworks and shooting them off every night for a month. South resented having to pick them up out of their yard (which seemed to be the landing zone every year no matter which way the wind was blowing). And I just left to take the family to commercial shows.

I don't particularly like em and find nothing interesting about the Indy fireworks.

But NOTHING compared to my bro-in-laws displays, complete with civil war cannon and gatling guns.

ABADays
07-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Guess it depends on where you are. I don't like 'em here but love 'em at home. That is - the fireworks shows not the neighbors.

efx
07-08-2007, 11:35 AM
I dislike the loud ones (but ppl seem to like them so more power I guess) but the other ones I really love. But this is definately a thing that tv/movies can't capture, live fireworks is just something totally different.

I used to love, while living on Manhattan, watching the july fireworks, it was spectacular. And this years was the best in many years from what I've heard. Figures, since I wasn't there.

SoupIsGood
07-08-2007, 12:13 PM
The loud ones that don't do anything visually are pretty annoying. That, and they always scared my little brother to death while he was growing up. I'll agree w/ the fireworks-haters w/r/t to those 'boomers,' as my family calls them.

bellisimo
07-08-2007, 06:13 PM
I agree with efx...watchin' the 4th of July fireworks from Jersey as they were going right over the NY skyline...priceless :)

Evan_The_Dude
07-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Fireworks are fun when you have a bunch of stuffed animals to put them in...

MagicRat
07-09-2007, 07:55 AM
I like fireworks.....
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SUsPLHWTDKo"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SUsPLHWTDKo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

btowncolt
07-09-2007, 08:01 AM
I like fireworks.....
<object height="350" width="425">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SUsPLHWTDKo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="350" width="425"> </object>

I like fireworks that fire....

MagicRat
07-09-2007, 08:14 AM
btowncolt is thinking, "Man, I love Symphony on the Prairie."

btowncolt
07-09-2007, 08:18 AM
btowncolt is thinking, "Man, I love Symphony on the Prairie."

I did miss it this year. But watching the Boston fireworks from a top floor hotel balcony right on the river next to the fireworks was pretty good.

MagicRat
07-09-2007, 11:53 AM
I did miss it this year. But watching the Boston fireworks from a top floor hotel balcony right on the river next to the fireworks was pretty good.

Yeah, but did they bring the Lombardi Trophy there?

Robobtowncolt
07-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah, but did they bring the Lombardi Trophy there?

Well, they didn't know which one to choose to bring, so they left all three in each of Brady's new baby room's to avoid conflict.

Trader Joe
07-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Not liking fireworks=not liking America. Its up to us.

JayRedd
07-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Yall hate freedom.

Gyron
07-09-2007, 04:11 PM
I was in Indy and we could see some of the ones from Lawrence park from my brothers house on the east side. Those were pretty cool.

His neighbor was setting them off all night. And I'm pretty sure most of his were really illegal. About half of them were exploding on the ground.

He set off a coule That I'm pretty sure left huge craters in the road. Might have been sticks of dynomite as far as I could tell. I told my brother his homeowners dues were gonna go up to repair the holes in the streets the guy was making....

idioteque
07-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Damn fireworks must really be unregulated in the Midwest. Around here it's pretty hard to get illegals.

8.9_seconds
07-09-2007, 10:16 PM
The whole county where I live all gathered/squeezed together this year in a mall parking lot and park (most getting there upto an hour and a half early) to watch 7 minutes of fireworks, all disappointing and then you had to wait 25-40 minutes to just get out of the parking lot.

Natston
07-10-2007, 06:59 PM
I guess you guys and gals need to go to Thunder over Louisville, and not just for the mullets...

Diamond Dave
07-31-2007, 02:54 PM
Just saw this, but I must comment. I absolutely love firework shows. 4th of July is arguably my favorite holiday.

This year I was truly lucky and was in Wilmington, NC during the 4th. I watched as the city put on the biggest firework display in the state, firing the rockets off of the U.S.S. North Carolina along the Cape Fear River. Stunning!

UB takes his fireworks like he takes his basketball players. No flash or explosive ability. :)