PDA

View Full Version : Dale Davis loses 100k....and he's not happy about it.

Roy Munson
01-26-2004, 08:25 PM
http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/1075035330226100.xml

Hicks
01-26-2004, 08:35 PM
Here's the article:

John Canzano

Davis, Blazers: common ground is no man's land
01/25/04

The spat between Dale Davis and Trail Blazers management went on and on Saturday.

Through a lengthy pregame meeting between the two sides. Through a tired 105-87 loss to Golden State. Through a wasted day and lost opportunity, it just went on and on.

And on.

Doesn't it always seem that way around here?

Davis played 20 minutes. He had one rebound and scored zero points.

"My head wasn't in it," he said.

You knew that even before the game, though.

You knew it by the way Davis threw open the door to coach Maurice Cheeks' office after meeting with Cheeks and general manager John Nash.

You knew it when Davis and Rasheed Wallace then huddled in the dry and otherwise empty locker-room showers, talking in hushed tones and gesturing emotionally to each other.

And you knew it when one Blazers player pointed in Davis' direction and said, "Look, they're even (messing) with him now."

They, being management.

Him, being Davis, the 13-year veteran and resident good guy.

Us?

We're just thinking this stuff goes on and on. To the point that the Trail Blazers' biggest opponent through 41 games has been, well, the Trail Blazers. The team's biggest challenge in the next 41 games will be avoiding soap-opera drama -- for as long as possible.

So, that's the challenge, I suppose.

How many games.

Two? Three? Five?

Let's try one, first.

Here's what the latest distraction stems from.

Davis was fined $100,687.50 (one game's salary) for missing the game against Minnesota this month. Davis' Mercedes truck was buried in snow in his driveway at his home in the West Hills. So he called a friend to give him a ride and carried two suitcases one-quarter of a mile down an icy, snow-filled road to a friend's waiting car.

"Then, the car got stuck in the snow," Davis, 34, said.

So, they called a tow truck.

"Then, the tow truck took forever to come."

So Davis missed the team bus.

I f you're looking for common ground between Davis and Trail Blazers management, it is this: It snowed this month and Davis missed the bus. The rest is a mess.

On and on. Back and forth.

Team president Steve Patterson said he offered to send a car to Davis' house. Patterson also said that the team bus even pulled off Interstate 205 and waited for Davis, who never came.

"Our travel party has 30 people in it and they were all there, except him," Patterson said.

But it's the way he was informed of the fine that, Davis said, really irked him.

"They sent me a certified letter."

That letter caused Davis to walk out of Friday's practice, which resulted in an additional $5,000 fine from the team, which prompted Saturday's pregame meeting, which resulted in two potential starters standing in the showers in street clothes before a game in which the team played flat.

Coincidence?

Probably not.

"How could it not affect you?" Davis said.

Now, understand, Patterson said he disagrees with Davis' account of how he was informed by "a thousand percent."

Patterson said that when the franchise offered to pick him up, Davis was informed that he would be fined if he missed the bus or the game.

"We're operating by the book," Patterson said.

"The principle is more important than the fine," Davis said.

Davis said he was given the option by Cheeks of not suiting up against the Warriors on Saturday. Patterson said that was not an option.

Back and forth. On and on. Can't wait for the second half.

Unclebuck
01-26-2004, 08:53 PM
And you knew it when one Blazers player pointed in Davis' direction and said, "Look, they're even (messing) with him now."

They, being management.

Very interesting article, I enjoyed the part I quotes above.

Arcadian
01-26-2004, 09:16 PM
I don't think the author was being sarcastic.

MSA2CF
01-26-2004, 09:49 PM
That's too bad. I'd like Dale's situation to improve, and maybe his attitude.

I wouldn't mind his return here. He could be used. He's battled Shaq a few times, when he was in the Finals with us and while he's been over in the Western Conference. Same with Pollard. He's expendable, but I think come playoff time, and should we meet the Lakers in the Finals, Pollard would have more experience than anyone on the Pacers roster in guarding Shaq in the post.

That is, if the Lakers make the Finals. (Which they won't) :P

Peck
01-27-2004, 06:49 AM

They, being management.

Very interesting article, I enjoyed the part I quotes above.

You realize they were saying "resident good guy" very sarcastically right?

First as disclosure I want to say this. I am to Dale Davis what Uncle Buck is to Ron Artest, the one differance is that I am probably worse than U.B.

So whatever I say about Dale is admittadly tinted with my "fanboy" glasses.

Now having said that I want to say this.

I also did not read that article as being sarcastic. In fact the way the Blazer player stated it, I was lead to beleive that even he was saying he was one of the good guys & the last person that he thought would be being "messed" with.

I know Dale has had recent grumblings about his playing time & situation but in the four years he's been out there I was under the impression that he had been a good soldier for the Blazers throughout all of their turmoils.

The entire contract extension is still a fallout from the problem he had with his agent & Pacers management. In other words he missed out on his big pay day because his agent didn't file for free agency when he could have.

I am not giving Dale a pass on that btw. It's his responsibilty to watch what his agent & be involved in the process. He lost his arbitration vs. the pacers on this, btw. But he did beat his agent in the arbitration process of certification by the Players asscociation.

But at the end of the day he should just let it go.

I digress.

Anyway, the entire time he was here he was a solid citizen. Until the end.

I have not heard anything to put him in the Wallace/Stoudamire catagory out in Portland. If you have links please provide & I will gladly change my mind.

indygeezer
01-27-2004, 09:45 AM
In that case I'd gladly take him off their hands.

Anthem
01-27-2004, 04:23 PM
It all depends on if they'd take Croshere for him...

Eindar
01-27-2004, 04:42 PM
My favorite thing in this article is my own realization that Dale Davis makes $100k per game, and only makes 10 mil/season. If you can't get up for a game in which you're making 100 grand, something is wrong with you.