PDA

View Full Version : Fairly significant announcement: Search PD using Google !

Hicks
06-19-2007, 06:40 PM
I've set up a custom google search to where when you enter in what you want to search for, Google searched PD and only PD for what you're looking for.

The reason I feel this is significant is that frankly the default vBulletin search has been frustrating at best, useless at worst. Now we can all search for content within PD using the power of Google, and I think you will find better, faster results.

I've placed the Google feature up in the navbar under "Search". It's underneath what was already there. It's not very pretty to look at, but if I can improve that I will and the important thing is the service. I think this is a big improvement! :)

Pig Nash
06-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Awesome, one of my favorite things about this board is the constant advancement of ease of use and features.

Hicks
06-19-2007, 06:55 PM
OK, I'm still working on the look of it, but I've gone ahead and taken out the default quick search entirely; now when you click search at the top it's exclusively the google search.

SoupIsGood
06-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Nice! :)

MagicRat
06-21-2007, 10:45 PM
So I can't search by poster anymore? Or do I just need re-training?

grace
06-22-2007, 12:23 AM
So I can't search by poster anymore? Or do I just need re-training?

Don't use the search. Go to that posters page and click on "all posts by". At least that's what I do. :shrug:

Gyron
06-22-2007, 01:03 PM
Make sure you google "Pacers Digest and Ignore this thread" Its very important tat everyone does this!

Anthem
06-24-2007, 03:17 AM
Well done.

Hicks
06-24-2007, 03:35 AM
Don't use the search. Go to that posters page and click on "all posts by". At least that's what I do. :shrug:

That, and you click on a username on the left column by his/her post, then select "Find more posts by _____"

MagicRat
06-24-2007, 10:06 AM
But if I often remember a mere scrap of information and I don't want to wade through 500 pages of Peck's posts to find where he said "dandruff".

Plus I think I can get the same or better results using regular google. For example, if I search "peck dandruff" on the PD engine I get "did not match any documents".

Using google.com "peck dandruff pacers" gets me "How unclebuck stole the playoffs" as the #1 hit.

Anywho, I like the old search......

Hicks
06-24-2007, 01:27 PM
I don't think its up to its full potential yet. I'll see what I can do. Meanwhile, the old one still exists.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/search.php