PDA

View Full Version : What deals bring us an Excellent Backcourt?

McKeyFan
06-15-2007, 08:21 PM
At the risk of being redundant with other threads, I want to know what scenarios are out there that could give us an excellent Point Guard and/or Shooting guard?

The threads on the Laker trades to not provide this, as L.A. does not have the pieces we need. Is there a three team trade that could work for us?

Is there another team we could trade JO for that does it? Could we send over other significant pieces for our biggest glaring weakness, and keep JO (and give him new hope with a better backcourt)?

I like Jarrett Jack, but the thread regarding Jack and Duhon does not provide hope for an excellent backcourt, only a solid one.

Who's out there? What trades are possible? How low in the draft do we need to trade for to find the piece(s) we need?

Anthem
06-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Getting Odom would help, if we could flip him to the Cavs.

I'm curious about shooting guard. Besides picking up a Young or Rudy in the draft, I don't see a lot of avenues forward for us.

There actually aren't a ton of shooting guards that I really like in the league right now.

Cobol Sam
06-15-2007, 08:26 PM
At the risk of being redundant with other threads, I want to know what scenarios are out there that could give us an excellent Point Guard and/or Shooting guard?

The threads on the Laker trades to not provide this, as L.A. does not have the pieces we need. Is there a three team trade that could work for us?

Is there another team we could trade JO for that does it? Could we send over other significant pieces for our biggest glaring weakness, and keep JO (and give him new hope with a better backcourt)?

I like Jarrett Jack, but the thread regarding Jack and Duhon does not provide hope for an excellent backcourt, only a solid one.

Who's out there? What trades are possible? How low in the draft do we need to trade for to find the piece(s) we need?

You know... I am just not expecting us to obtain a great backcourt. I think out starting shooting guard is already on the roster in the form of Granger, Daniels, or Dunleavy. I think Jamaal Tinsley will be our point guard.
Lastly, I'm not terribly upset by this either for two reasons:
1. RC is not coaching Jamaal Tinsley.
2. Daniels will cure at least a bit of what ails us

Of course, I can't remember ever really knowing what I"m talking about at any time... ever.

maragin
06-15-2007, 09:09 PM
I actually really like what I've seen from Farmar, though he and Turiaf are two huge fan favorites in LA.

If Tinsley leaves, I'd be interested to see what kind of point guard Daniels can be for us. The thought of a backcourt of Daniels and Dunleavy isn't the greatest, but it doesn't make me puke.

BobbyMac
06-15-2007, 09:10 PM
You know... I am just not expecting us to obtain a great backcourt. I think out starting shooting guard is already on the roster in the form of Granger, Daniels, or Dunleavy. I think Jamaal Tinsley will be our point guard.
Lastly, I'm not terribly upset by this either for two reasons:
1. RC is not coaching Jamaal Tinsley.
2. Daniels will cure at least a bit of what ails us

I agree!

Los Angeles
06-15-2007, 10:04 PM
I don't need excellent. I just need "decent" or "servicable" or "adequate" or "complimentary". Anything is better than "liability personified".

Y2J
06-15-2007, 10:17 PM
#5/Green/Theo for J.O. and change.

Mike Conley (PG) and Gerald Green (SG) - a potentially great backcourt.

beast23
06-15-2007, 11:07 PM

Mike Conley (PG) and Gerald Green (SG) - a potentially great backcourt.I think I've seen yu post this before on the other thread.

You are not really serious about trading Jermaine for a backup SG (Green) and salary cap relief (Ratliff) are you?

What I see in this proposal is that we basically trade Jermaine for a young player with potential and a very good draft choice. Don't you think JO has greater value than that, especially if we are going to trade him within our own conference?

sig
06-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Assuming Conley is available at 5.

Can the Pacers get Conley and Green from Boston for JO? Boston has salary to match. I'd rather get those two than Bynum and 19. If i were Boston I wouldn't do it. With Pierce in Ainge's ear for vets, who knows what might happen there. JO and Dunleavy for Conley, Green, Wally and Theo?

Unfortunately the Pacers would look like the lottery participating baby bulls of years ago but the rebuild would be under way around Ike, Shawne, Granger, Green, and Conley.

Boston would Pierce, Jefferson, JO, West, Rondo, and Dunleavy with a lot of young players left to fill roles.

CableKC
06-16-2007, 02:51 AM
I think I've seen yu post this before on the other thread.

You are not really serious about trading Jermaine for a backup SG (Green) and salary cap relief (Ratliff) are you?

What I see in this proposal is that we basically trade Jermaine for a young player with potential and a very good draft choice. Don't you think JO has greater value than that, especially if we are going to trade him within our own conference?
Isn't that what we are doing if we trade JONeal to the Lakers?

I'm guessing its a pretty safe bet that Bynum has more potential then Green.....but the same can be said for anyone that can be drafted at the 5th spot compared to the 19th spot.

But with the rumored "Marion to Cs for a deal centered around Ratliff+5+filler"....then I doubt that JONeal would be worth that much.

QuickRelease
06-16-2007, 08:07 AM

Mike Conley (PG) and Gerald Green (SG) - a potentially great backcourt.

I agree. All I'd really need from Green is about 4 of those dunks off the side of the backboard :dance:! Seriously though, if we could do this deal, I'd be a lot more excited than the deal with the Lakers. Gerald Green has much more potential than a backup 2-guard. But he does need someone brought in, i think, to work with him (possible a reason to re-sign Armstrong).

OakMoses
06-16-2007, 09:07 AM
The Pacers will not have an excellent backcourt next season. An excellent back court would consist of at least one excellent back court player. There are no such players who are being talked about in any of the JO deals, or who are even being rumored as available.

An upgraded backcourt would be possible. If any deal with Boston goes down, I'd love to get Delonte West. He'd fit well into JOb's offense. He's a better shooter than any guard on our roster. He's also a better defender than Tinsley. I'd be pretty happy with a Delonte West + Marquis Daniels back court. I do think it's imperative to draft a young guard with some potential if we do wind up with a draft pick. I really like Morris Almond. I'd be ok with Byars, Young, or Fernandez also.

beast23
06-16-2007, 09:24 AM
Isn't that what we are doing if we trade JONeal to the Lakers?

I'm guessing its a pretty safe bet that Bynum has more potential then Green.....but the same can be said for anyone that can be drafted at the 5th spot compared to the 19th spot.

But with the rumored "Marion to Cs for a deal centered around Ratliff+5+filler"....then I doubt that JONeal would be worth that much.
No! My assumption is that the deal with the Lakers will eventually bring back Bynum + Brown + #19 + Odom.

Bynum and #19 are TWO young prospects. Brown will certainly constitute cap relief.

However in Odom we will have a very solid established veteran. One who is capable of doing a little bit of everything. He can score, he can board and he can defend... although he does none of these things as well as Jermaine. One thing he can do significantly better than Jermaine though is pass the ball to the open man.