PDA

View Full Version : Shaq and Duncan now have as many championships as Magic and Larry

King Tuts Tomb
06-15-2007, 07:22 PM
How about that?

Kegboy
06-15-2007, 09:37 PM
How about that?

Uh, no.

Magic > Shaq = Duncan > Larry

[edit] And if you want to get technical, Magic = Shaq + Duncan (thanks to his 3 as an owner.)

sig
06-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Horry has more than Jordan. I wonder what that means.

King Tuts Tomb
06-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Uh, no.

Magic > Shaq = Duncan > Larry

[edit] And if you want to get technical, Magic = Shaq + Duncan (thanks to his 3 as an owner.)

Uh, yes. I chose these two because they're defining an era. For some reason people don't appreciate the greatness we're seeing.

And Horry was never the franchise player on his team.

Kstat
06-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Horry has more than Jordan. I wonder what that means.

Darko has more rings than Reggie Miller...

Kegboy
06-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Uh, yes. I chose these two because they're defining an era. For some reason people don't appreciate the greatness we're seeing.

And Horry was never the franchise player on his team.

Well, you could say the same about MJ and Hakeem. The problem is, the competition in both the 80's and the 90's was a lot better than today.

BlueNGold
06-16-2007, 12:09 AM
There's a reason why this thread was started. There are a significant number of people who believe the Spurs are not a dominant team. Count me in on that group.

I think the Spurs have a well put together team with great chemistry, great coaching and unselfish team play. It's not tremendous talent but a tremendous team where the players have bought in. A true rarity in today's NBA. That's really why they win. IMO, Duncan is not much better than Patrick Ewing who never won it....but competed in a more difficult era when the Bulls reigned.

Cleveland was perhaps one of the worst representatives in the NBA finals in recent memory. No wonder the Spurs got the broom out. Until the Spurs can manage at least one repeat...just one for goodness sakes...they will not get the respect that they may or may not deserve.
The Spurs are a dynasty, but it really takes more dominance to get the respect that the Bulls and Lakers have earned. For goodness sakes, LA has been in the finals 13 times since 1980! MJ won the title 6 times with a one year vacation between three peats over an 8 year period. He could have won 8 straight but the competition just wasn't good enough to interest him.

No, the Spurs are not at that level at all.

BlueNGold
06-16-2007, 12:22 AM
Man, looking back the Spurs even look worse. Only Duncan played on the team in 1999. So, the Spurs as we know them have won 3 not 4 championships.

The team in 2003 faced those dominating NJ Nets. Ooohh. In 2005 they barely beat the Pistons who were not nearly as hungry. I remember seeing Timmy almost cry during that series. In 2007, they beat perhaps the worst team to ever make the NBA finals.

Not real impressive IMO.

King Tuts Tomb
06-16-2007, 01:24 AM
IMO, Duncan is not much better than Patrick Ewing who never won it....but competed in a more difficult era when the Bulls reigned.

I disagree with you on just about everything you said but I understand your rationale. But Duncan not much better than Patrick Ewing?!?!

We're talking about the best power forward of all time. Four time champion, two time MVP. His best season (2003) he averaged 23-13-4 and 3 blocks while shooting 50%. That's ridiculous! He's proved himself continually in the playoffs and the finals.

He's one of the top 10 players EVER. In the history of the game. To dismiss his championships as being against weak competition is just wrong. The Spurs beat the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, Nash-Dirk Mavs, Nash-Stoudemire Suns, Detroit, Kidd-Martin Nets (who weren't as bad as people say) in the course of getting to or winning championships. Those are good to GREAT teams. I'd say better than a lot of the competition Jordan faced.

Duncan has proven himself as being on the same level as Larry and Magic, Moses and Dr J. He won't get the credit yet because he plays in a small market. One day hopefully his greatness will be appreciated.

Young
06-16-2007, 01:28 AM
To me, the Spurs don't need to sweep teams to be dominate or a true dynasty. They don't have to rack up the most regular season wins.

What they need is atleast 2 in a row.

Even they don't they will still be known as probably the best team from 1999-2010 but hey if you really want to be remembered as a true dynasty you need to have back to back titles at the very least. Especially in this day in age. There aren't that many great teams like in the 80s you had the Lakers, Celtics, and 76ers.

Duncan, as an individual, is nothing short of great. Top 10 all time? I'd say so.

sig
06-16-2007, 01:41 AM
While I don't think the Spurs rate with the Celts' Lakers, Bulls teams of the 80's and 90's, I think it is unfair to take anything away from the Spurs because they have had weak Finals opponents in 3 of their 4 titles. In most cases they have not had an easy route thru the West to get to the finals. This year was probably an exception thanks to the Mav choke job.

I think the Laker breakup was the dynasty killer of this decade. I think had Shaq stayed in LA, the Lakers would still be raising banners probably stealing one or 2 of these latest Spurs titles. Had Shaq stayed, maybe Horry would have too.

BlueNGold
06-16-2007, 10:37 AM
I disagree with you on just about everything you said but I understand your rationale. But Duncan not much better than Patrick Ewing?!?!

We're talking about the best power forward of all time. Four time champion, two time MVP. His best season (2003) he averaged 23-13-4 and 3 blocks while shooting 50%. That's ridiculous! He's proved himself continually in the playoffs and the finals.

He's one of the top 10 players EVER. In the history of the game. To dismiss his championships as being against weak competition is just wrong. The Spurs beat the Shaq-Kobe Lakers, Nash-Dirk Mavs, Nash-Stoudemire Suns, Detroit, Kidd-Martin Nets (who weren't as bad as people say) in the course of getting to or winning championships. Those are good to GREAT teams. I'd say better than a lot of the competition Jordan faced.

Duncan has proven himself as being on the same level as Larry and Magic, Moses and Dr J. He won't get the credit yet because he plays in a small market. One day hopefully his greatness will be appreciated.

Patrick Ewing is one of the top 50 players of all time...and I said Duncan was better than him. What more do you want?

http://www.nba.com/history/50greatest.html

BTW, I do consider Duncan one of the great ones. I don't rank him above Magic or Bird, but he's way up there somewhere in the top 20 greatest IMO.

But I definitely have seen more dominant teams than these Spurs...and that's the real disagreement here. If they repeat next year, they will get more believers. Some degree of longevity (which they do have) and a repeat championship (which they do not have) is a requirement to be mentioned in the same breath with the Bulls and Lakers.

They also need better competition coming out of the east. Playing the Cavs in the finals is not going to help here. That's not their fault but does influence viewpoints rightly or wrongly. In contrast, Bird and Magic led two of the greatest teams of all time...and had to face each other nearly every year.

stew
06-17-2007, 09:32 AM
I think the Spurs have a well put together team with great chemistry, great coaching and unselfish team play. It's not tremendous talent but a tremendous team where the players have bought in. A true rarity in today's NBA. That's really why they win. IMO, Duncan is not much better than Patrick Ewing who never won it....but competed in a more difficult era when the Bulls reigned.

I have to disagree with you when you say that spurs dont have tremendous talent... a look at their lineup, they atleast 6 players that could start on any team in this league ...

duncan
bowen
ginobili
parker
barry
finley

pretty good combination, they got 1 of the greatest player ever at pf, a great defender at sf, hard to guard pg, and very good wings...

barry & finley is still starting the season before they sign with the spurs...