PDA

View Full Version : Raptors acquire Delfino for 2nd round picks ( 2009, 2011 )

Smashed_Potato
06-15-2007, 06:39 PM
LINK (http://www.nba.com/raptors/news/release_061507.html)

Seems like the Pistons are building towards rebuilding. this also could mean another deal is in the works for them perhaps.

Y2J
06-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Remember how massively overhyped the Pistons made this guy when he first came into the league? I recall some delusional people claiming he was an equal talent to Granger. Then of course everyone realized he was a shooting guard who couldn't shoot outside of 10' and 2 years later he's traded for a couple of crummy 2nd rounders.

pwee31
06-15-2007, 06:46 PM
He didn't do anything, but get lost on the bench, and we all know how the Raps like those foreign ballers

Anthem
06-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Remember how massively overhyped the Pistons made this guy when he first came into the league? I recall some delusional people claiming he was an equal talent to Granger. Then of course everyone realized he was a shooting guard who couldn't shoot outside of 10' and 2 years later he's traded for a couple of crummy 2nd rounders.
delusional people = Kstat. I've got to go dig up some old posts.

Unclebuck
06-15-2007, 06:58 PM
Kstat just jumped off the Palace roof.

Smashed_Potato
06-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Kstat just jumped off the Palace roof.

I can vision Kstat saying nothing at all about this it doesn't affect the Pistons a whole lot.

idioteque
06-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Delfino has always had a sour relationship with the Piston's brass. This trade basically had to be made, even if it was for what seems like relative peanuts unless the Pistons can get lucky with a second round pick, which with the way Dumars drafts isn't entirely impossible.

I don't think the Pistons are as doomed as many of us would want to think. Billups and Hamilton are roughly the same age as Reggie was during the height of the Knick killing days, so don't act like they're ancient. Prince is even younger as well. Of course they have some depth issues, and their froncourt is relatively ancient. However I think that Maxiell will play well next year if he is given minutes. Amir Johnson is also a nice young piece. They don't need to rebuild the whole team, they just need to upgrade the frontcourt.

Trader Joe
06-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Delfino is just not that good. Period.

Anthem
06-15-2007, 08:25 PM
I can vision Kstat saying nothing at all about this it doesn't affect the Pistons a whole lot.
Well, you weren't here when Kstat was talking about how Delfino was going to revolutionize the backup swingman position...

Oneal07
06-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Obviosly people are gonna say he sucks. . .look who he's playing behind!!! Great pick up for the Raps, although they need a PF

Anthem
06-15-2007, 08:55 PM
Obviosly people are gonna say he sucks. . .look who he's playing behind!!! Great pick up for the Raps, although they need a PF
Umm...

pwee31
06-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Umm...

I'm guessing he think Bosh is a C... well for his sake, that's what I HOPE he thinks

NuffSaid
06-15-2007, 09:18 PM
This trade has the earmarks of a salary dump than anything else, and it makes "cents". :D Pistons want to re-sign Billups. Why not make some room on the ledger for that multi-year/multi-million dollar contract he's bound to command by ridding the roster of a subpar player?

Y2J
06-15-2007, 09:37 PM
Plus, according to Kstat, Delfino should have been a lottery pick.

talent-wise, he's definately top-13 in his draft class....

DEFINITELY BETTER
1. Cleveland Cavaliers LeBron James, F, St. Vincent-St. Mary's HS
2. Detroit Pistons (from Memphis) Darko Milicic, F/C, Serbia and Montenegro
3. Denver Nuggets Carmelo Anthony, F, Syracuse
4. Toronto Raptors Chris Bosh, F, Georgia Tech
5. Miami Heat Dwyane Wade, G, Marquette
6. Los Angeles Clippers Chris Kaman, C, Central Michigan
7. Chicago Bulls Kirk Hinrich, G, Kansas
8. Milwaukee Bucks (from Atlanta) T.J. Ford, G, Texas
11. Golden State Warriors Mickael Pietrus, G/F, France
12. Seattle Sonics Nick Collison, F, Kansas
14. Seattle Sonics (from Milwaukee) Luke Ridnour, G, Oregon
18. New Orleans Hornets David West, F, Xavier
19. Utah Jazz Aleksandar Pavlovic, F, Serbia and Montenegro
21. Atlanta Hawks (from Indiana) Boris Diaw-Riffiod, G/F, France
28. San Antonio Spurs Leandrinho Barbosa, G, Brazil (traded to Phoenix)
29. Dallas Mavericks Josh Howard, F, Wake Forest
31. Cleveland Cavaliers Jason Kapono , F, UCLA
32. Los Angeles Lakers (from Toronto) Luke Walton, F, Arizona
38. Washington Wizards Steve Blake, G, Maryland
41. Seattle Sonics Willie Green, G, Detroit Mercy (traded to Philadelphia)
42. Orlando Magic Zaur Pachulia , F/C, Turkey
47. Utah Jazz Maurice Williams , G, Alabama
51. New Jersey Nets Kyle Korver , F, Creighton (traded to Philadelphia)

PROBABLY/ARGUABLY BETTER
9. New York Knicks Mike Sweetney, F, Georgetown
10. Washington Wizards Jarvis Hayes, G/F, Georgia
13. Memphis Grizzlies (from Houston) Marcus Banks, G, UNLV (traded to Boston)
20. Boston Celtics (from Philadelphia) Dahntay Jones, G/F, Duke (traded to Memphis)
23. Portland Trail Blazers Travis Outlaw, F, Starkville HS
24. Los Angeles Lakers Brian Cook, F, Illinois
27. Memphis Grizzlies (from Sacramento via Orlando) Kendrick Perkins, C, Clifton J. Ozen HS (traded to Boston)
43. Milwaukee Bucks Keith Bogans, G, Kentucky (traded to Orlando)
45. Chicago Bulls (from Phoenix) Matt Bonner , F, Florida (traded to Toronto)
49. Indiana Pacers James Jones , F, Miami

Delfino, drafted 26th, is at absolute best the 24th best player and absolute worst the 34th best player from the 2003 draft. Top-13? Lottery pick? Makes me wonder about all this Amir Johnson hype.

Oneal07
06-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Umm...

I should have said BackUp PF!!! Obviously I know Bosh is a PF. . .We just need one more scrappy PF, just incase we lose one in a freak accident like what happended to Garbo (Jose Garbajosa For those who don't follow Raps)

Kstat
06-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Delfino is going to be a stud for the Raptors, because he has a chance to start there and play in a European style.

Delfino is the kind of guy that needs to play free of pressure to perform well.

I'm very happy he's going somewhere else. Unlike Darko, Delfino wasn't a lazy bum that tanked his way out of town. he simply didn't fit in here., and I wish him the best of luck in Toronto.
And yes, if Delfino starts in Toronto, I can see him as a 15-5-5 kind of guy next season. People are going to see the special abilities he has when they are utilized properly.

Oneal07
06-15-2007, 10:03 PM
I wonder now if they are gonna re-sign Mo Pete.. .If not then Pacers should try to get him, he's a great perimetre defender and a SHOOTER, somthng weneed. Phil Jackson already has interest in Mo, so you might even see him in LA

Y2J
06-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Delfino is going to be a stud for the Raptors, because he has a chance to start there and play in a European style.

I'm very happy he's going somewhere else. Unlike Darko, Delfino wasn't a lazy bum that tanked his way out of town. he simply didn't fit in here., and I wish him the best of luck in Toronto.
And yes, if Delfino starts in Toronto, I can see him as a 15-5-5 kind of guy next season. People are going to see the special abilities he has when they are utilized properly.

No offense bro, but you should quit while you're behind. :-p

JayRedd
06-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Maybe Toronto just needed to add an Argentine to it's foreign player collection.

That now makes an Argentine, two Spaniards, an Italian, two Slovenians, a Senagalese, a guy who played most of his pro career in Israel, and a Flint-stone.

he has a chance to start there and play in a European style.

he simply didn't fit in here., and I wish him the best of luck in Toronto.

That line is probably hyperbole, but I agree that Delfino is a lot better than most people say. He should only continue to improve with more time and a free-flowing offense. He's a good playmarker, good ballhandler, can finish around the hoop and can hit some jumpers.

Oneal07
06-15-2007, 10:34 PM
Pop Sow Might be gone. . .maybe we'll bring someone in from Zimbabwe lol

Anthem
06-15-2007, 10:37 PM
I should have said BackUp PF!!! Obviously I know Bosh is a PF. . .We just need one more scrappy PF, just incase we lose one in a freak accident like what happended to Garbo (Jose Garbajosa For those who don't follow Raps)
I really hope Delfino plays PF for you guys. Because that's where he's best: using his bulk to overpower smaller players. :rolleyes:

The dude is 6'6". He's not going to play power forward.

Y2J
06-15-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm not entirely convinced I'm not a better basketball player than Carlos Delfino.

Kstat
06-15-2007, 10:48 PM
You're also convinced you can't live without me...or else you wouldn't keep re-inventing new names every year to get back in here.

beast23
06-15-2007, 10:49 PM
Not that Kstat needs my defense, but I suppose that any minute now he might start indicating each of you guys that happened to think that Bender was the second coming of Christl.

The difference between the Pistons and the Pacers is that Dumars is not afraid to state that he made a mistake and to get rid of a player whose talent just hasn't developed or who doesn't seem to fit.

We, on the hand, seem to just hang onto players, waiting for them to be struck by a magic wand and suddenly fit. Instead, we should give them a season to show some promise and if not, just move them along.

Anthem
06-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Not that Kstat needs my defense, but I suppose that any minute now he might start indicating each of you guys that happened to think that Bender was the second coming of Christl.
Ahh, Christal. I don't think I remember her... was she really as skinny as Bender?

I'm sure Kegboy has a picture of her somewhere.

Kstat
06-15-2007, 10:55 PM

The difference between the Pistons and the Pacers is that Dumars is not afraid to state that he made a mistake and to get rid of a player whose talent just hasn't developed or who doesn't seem to fit.

We, on the hand, seem to just hang onto players, waiting for them to be struck by a magic wand and suddenly fit. Instead, we should give them a season to show some promise and if not, just move them along.

Eh, I can take it. Sometimes thing just don't work out.

I still don't think Delfino is a bust. He just wasn't in a good situation playing on a slower tempo team behind an all-star SG.

Y2J
06-15-2007, 10:59 PM

Bender's career was killed by injuries. Delfino's career has went nowhere because he suffers from a severe case of Suckitis.

Kstat
06-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Bender's career was killed by injuries. Delfino's career has went nowhere because he suffers from a severe case of Suckitis.

Oh really?

You mean the 7-foot stick figure that a 10-year old girl could pump-fake into the air wasn't a complete bust?

What, was it multiple concussions that "injured" his basketball IQ down to negative-30?

You know, I once beat John Salley in a FT shooting contest once when I was little. That was probably my biggest accomplishment as a basketball player. Maybe I should have turned pro?

Just saying, I hear out-shooting established pros in an empty gym is often a predictor of future success...

beast23
06-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Ahh, Christal. I don't think I remember her... was she really as skinny as Bender?

I'm sure Kegboy has a picture of her somewhere.

:laugh: Fat-fingered that one, didn't I?

Well, I don't know of a singer that goes by only the name of "Christal". I guess that only leaves one other possible profession, doesn't it? And that has to mean that her physique is much better than Bender's.

kidthecat
06-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Never heard of Delfino being compared to Garnett or McGrady.

Even with a bad basketball "IQ" (boy, is that almost a cliche?), it was easy to see why people had so much faith in Bender. Too bad about the injuries, though.

Anthem
06-15-2007, 11:25 PM

James White?

Anthem
06-15-2007, 11:27 PM
You mean the 7-foot stick figure that a 10-year old girl could pump-fake into the air wasn't a complete bust?
He bit badly on pump fakes the first couple of years, but had it figured out before his rookie contract ran out. The problem was, that was also the time his knees gave out.

Kstat
06-15-2007, 11:33 PM
He bit badly on pump fakes the first couple of years, but had it figured out before his rookie contract ran out.

The thing is, I never even saw him those first few years. I'm referencing 2003 and 2004.

Oneal07
06-15-2007, 11:44 PM
I really hope Delfino plays PF for you guys. Because that's where he's best: using his bulk to overpower smaller players. :rolleyes:

The dude is 6'6". He's not going to play power forward.

Why would I suggest Delfino playing PF for the Raptors?? THe RAPTORS Need another PF, that's what I was talking about. . Get a clue

beast23
06-15-2007, 11:45 PM
James White?I don't think that White is a good example. He was a numbers casualty; we really didn't "give up"on him... we never really gave him a chance.

And most of us were really ticked that we dumped White rather than someone else.

Y2J
06-16-2007, 12:37 AM
Oh really?

What, was it multiple concussions that "injured" his basketball IQ down to negative-30?

You know, I once beat John Salley in a FT shooting contest once when I was little. That was probably my biggest accomplishment as a basketball player. Maybe I should have turned pro?

Just saying, I hear out-shooting established pros in an empty gym is often a predictor of future success...

Bender had the size, athleticism, and most importantly, skills to be a star. Injuries killed all of that.

Delfino just plain sucks.

Young
06-16-2007, 01:47 AM
Oh really?

Wow.

I don't know if there was a stretch in Bender's career that he was healthy and could get some playing time.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/jonathan_bender/index.html

He had ONE season where he manage to play in 78 games. I believe this was the year of the Jalen Rose for Brad Miller/Ron Artest trade. He was still young, only 20-21.

So let me get this straight now, you are calling JB a bust because he played like crap? LMFAO OF COURSE HE PLAYED LIKE CRAP HE COULD HARDLY EVER ****ING PLAY! What do you expect?

Anyways back on topic, good trade especially for the Raptors.

Delfino is a good talent. Easily worth two second round picks. I remember when he first came into the league a lot of scouts compared him to Manu Ginobli, which might not mean anything because I remember Luke Ridnour being compared to John Stockton.

I wonder if the Raptors will re-sign Morris Petterson now. Kinda doubt it but you never know.

Suaveness
06-16-2007, 02:47 AM
Bender had the size, athleticism, and most importantly, skills to be a star. Injuries killed all of that.

Yeah he had the skills. But he was a basketball idiot. There was no way for him to succeed in the NBA. With all that downtime, one would think he could learn the game, but he never tried. The man was terrible.

And Bender never got better at the pump fakes.

Kstat
06-16-2007, 04:07 AM

Yep, Delfino sucks. If only he was a stud like Bender....

Y2J
06-16-2007, 07:08 AM
Yep, Delfino sucks. If only he was a stud like Bender....

Bender was clearly on the verge of being an unstoppable scorer. A 7-footer with his leaping ability and shooting touch simply was not guardable, as he showed in glimpses during his brief playing time. 20 per game was a good possibility for a healthy prime Bender, with 25+ not being out of the question. You can question his defense, but his offense was never in doubt. As for the pump fake issue....not a major issue. Easily fixable.

Carlos Delfino has been perfectly healthy and thus far has shown no glimpses of talent. He looks to be a career backup. His attitude certainly doesn't help matters.

Naptown_Seth
06-16-2007, 07:58 AM

Hmmm, this sounds familiar, really, really familiar.....

:hmm:

:idea2:

Sarunas is going to be a stud for the Warriors, because he has a chance to start there and play in a European style.

Sarunas is the kind of guy that needs to play free of the limits of Rick's system.

rexnom
06-16-2007, 08:19 AM
I dunno, I like this deal for the Raptors. I think Delfino will be big for them in the future. And by big I mean "key rotation player," which is better than what you usually get from second rounders.

beast23
06-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Yep, Delfino sucks. If only he was a stud like Bender....Well, I guess you were right... you didn't really have to say anything.

I just used one little six-letter word... and look what happens.

My apologies to Smashed_Potato. I caused your thread to tank.

Kstat
06-16-2007, 10:26 AM
Bender was clearly on the verge of being an unstoppable scorer. A 7-footer with his leaping ability and shooting touch simply was not guardable, as he showed in glimpses during his brief playing time. 20 per game was a good possibility for a healthy prime Bender, with 25+ not being out of the question. You can question his defense, but his offense was never in doubt. As for the pump fake issue....not a major issue. Easily fixable.

Yes...clearly he was on his way to the hall of fame before cruel fate robbed him of his place among legends such as Bird, Magic and Jordan....

Better player, Wilt or Bender? I can't decade.

Obviously, Bender was bigger, stronger, faster, and can bench-press a Ford F-150 (at least between the months of June and August), but Wilt had a few things going for him as well...

SoupIsGood
06-16-2007, 11:23 AM
Hmmm, this sounds familiar, really, really familiar.....

Nice....

gph
06-16-2007, 05:34 PM
I dunno, I like this deal for the Raptors. I think Delfino will be big for them in the future. And by big I mean "key rotation player," which is better than what you usually get from second rounders.

co-signed.