PDA

View Full Version : Wolves Trade Mike James To Rockets For Juwan Howard

Brian
06-14-2007, 08:33 AM
Saw it on espnews last night...heres a link

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/46492/20070613/teams_agree_to_swap_james_for_howard/

Robobtowncolt
06-14-2007, 09:15 AM
We had a thread discussing this, but looks like it was deleted. So.....here's the new one.

J_2_Da_IzzO
06-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Good move. It gives McGrady someone else that can score on the outside. Rockets gonna be a problem next year.

Cobol Sam
06-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Does this mean Alston is going to be moved? If I were him I don't know how I would feel about a demotion.

Doug
06-14-2007, 10:51 AM
Does this mean Luther Head is more available?

Harrison for Head works. As does Baston if he exercises his option.

avoidingtheclowns
06-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Does this mean Luther Head is more available?

Harrison for Head works. As does Baston if he exercises his option.

it works in theory. but unfortunately head is a little more valuable than harrison. we could do head, sura, pick for foster

LG33
06-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Why would anyone trade for Juwan Howard? Am I missing something?

TripleThreat
06-14-2007, 11:07 AM
I posted this over on RATS...just copying it here...

Mike James is one of my favorite players...and I wish the P's would have made a run at him, but at least I get to watch him play with the Rockets again.

I get so tired of people bashing Juwan Howard, though. He is the victim of overinflated expectations of him because he was a member of the Fab 5. Every player on that starting 5 was expected to come out and be a superstar in the league, and it really was not fair to those not named Webber or Rose.

Howard has always been...and always will be a role player. He is at his best when playing off of a better post player...when he is expected to be the man, he will struggle. He has played well here in Houston, and will most likely play well in Minny, as he will be able to score when teams double down on KG...

It's not his fault that everyone expected him to be as good as Webber when he came in the league, but he sure does take a lot of crap about it. I have had the chance to meet him in person, and shared these feelings with him, and his response was that he can't control what other people think about him...he's got to go out and earn his paycheck. He's quite humble about it.

LG33
06-14-2007, 11:16 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of...he's 34! But I didn't realize how old Mike James was. I thought the dude was younger. I like Juwan, actually, but I was under the assumption he was a power forward - just like KG and my homeboy Craig Smith.

JayRedd
06-14-2007, 11:25 AM
I like Juwan, actually, but I was under the assumption he was a power forward - just like KG and my homeboy Craig Smith.

Maybe someone's on their way out? Maybe somewhere that they wear Purlple and Gold or somewhere they have a Jumpman statue outside the arena.

Like Triple says, the one thing that Juwan definitely has over Mike James (and I'd ague that he has a lot of other things over Mike James) is that he's a consumate NBA professional that does all the little things that young big men should learn. He'd be an ideal veteran leader on a team of young bucks.

CableKC
06-14-2007, 01:00 PM
Why would anyone trade for Juwan Howard? Am I missing something?
Juwan has a shorter contract. Also...he maybe older...but he still has some gas left in the tank and fills a need for the TWolves ( frontcourt help ) while moving James...another mistake by McHale....that didn't fit in with the TWolves. Besides....they needed to free up some minutes for their guard rotation.

Hicks
06-14-2007, 02:09 PM
I thought there was already a thread on this, but I don't see it?

Robobtowncolt
06-14-2007, 02:17 PM
I thought there was already a thread on this, but I don't see it?

Looks like abel deleted it. We lost all the discussion because of a bad post/no link in the original post it seems.

Slick Pinkham
06-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Does this mean Alston is going to be moved? If I were him I don't know how I would feel about a demotion.

In the playoffs, Rafer Alston shot 33.8% from the floor and 32% from three-point territory, putting up OVER 7 threes a night.

He stunk up the place and deserves a demotion.

TripleThreat
06-14-2007, 03:13 PM
In the playoffs, Rafer Alston shot 33.8% from the floor and 32% from three-point territory, putting up OVER 7 threes a night.

He stunk up the place and deserves a demotion.

Callers in to Houston Sports Radio are just as fed up with Alston as most in Indy are with Tinsley.

If fans had their way, BOTH of these guys would be playing on the AND1 circuit next year.

JayRedd
06-14-2007, 10:26 PM
I like Rafer. Underrated PG, IMO. Good decision maker.

indyman37
06-14-2007, 11:37 PM
The deal was finalized: http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_acquire_James_Reed_in-228702-34.html?rss=true

Juwan Howard for Mike James and Justin Reed.

Skaut_Ech
06-15-2007, 12:21 PM
I posted this over on RATS...just copying it here...

Mike James is one of my favorite players...and I wish the P's would have made a run at him, but at least I get to watch him play with the Rockets again.

I get so tired of people bashing Juwan Howard, though. He is the victim of overinflated expectations of him because he was a member of the Fab 5. Every player on that starting 5 was expected to come out and be a superstar in the league, and it really was not fair to those not named Webber or Rose.

Howard has always been...and always will be a role player. He is at his best when playing off of a better post player...when he is expected to be the man, he will struggle. He has played well here in Houston, and will most likely play well in Minny, as he will be able to score when teams double down on KG...

It's not his fault that everyone expected him to be as good as Webber when he came in the league, but he sure does take a lot of crap about it. I have had the chance to meet him in person, and shared these feelings with him, and his response was that he can't control what other people think about him...he's got to go out and earn his paycheck. He's quite humble about it.

QFT

There's a small group of players whom fans immediately dismiss based upon a past memory. I think if anyone has watched Howard play in the past few years, they would see that he's pretty much been an effective, professional presence on the floor. He's not going to turn ther ball over, has a nice mid-range jumper and plays within himself.

Personally, I hated the Fab Five, but Juwan has won me over throughout the years by not complaining, doing what's asked of him and mentoring younger players. I think he's a pretty solid rotation player. Hell, look what he did when Yao was out. Very solid addition for the Timberwolves.