PDA

View Full Version : Kobe badmouths Kupchek and Bynum (update: video confirmed real, small clip added post #80)

CableKC
06-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Interesting...I was poking around the Laker RealGM forum...and found this:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=672976

Apparently there is a video of Kobe going off on Kupchek and Bynum. Interesting......maybe is is why ClubLaker crashed.

The plot thickens......

Young
06-13-2007, 01:40 PM
I just read the first post but it doesn't sound a sure thing so far. Just "a drunk who claims he has video."

avoidingtheclowns
06-13-2007, 01:42 PM
read the next couple, it was heard by a couple of people via radio and they claim it is definitely kobe. who knows? i think there is a little more behind it (manufactured or not) than 'just a drunk with a video.'

Shade
06-13-2007, 01:46 PM
If this is true, the JO deal is officially torpedoed.

CableKC
06-13-2007, 01:46 PM
read the next couple, it was heard by a couple of people via radio and they claim it is definitely kobe. who knows? i think there is a little more behind it (manufactured or not) than 'just a drunk with a video.'
What's funny now is that the Laker fans on that forum that were telling Pacer RealGM fans that we shouldn't expect fair value for JONeal ( cuz of injuries, no low-post game, blah blah blah ) are now getting the same garbage handed to them when Bulls/Knick fan jump onto their board and tells them that they can't get fair value for Kobe.

Robobtowncolt
06-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Uh, at the end they're saying ESPN is reporting it to be a hoax.

CableKC
06-13-2007, 01:52 PM
If this is true, the JO deal is officially torpedoed.
Yes and no....yes...since its possible that this just opens up the window that Kobe is moved out of LA ( which I think the Lakers Front office will be extremely reluctant to do ) and...no.....since this may give the Lakers management further incentive to minimally include Bynum ( a given ) and possibly give in to more consessions to the Pacers ( so that they can keep Kobe ).

I'm being optimistic here ( which is an odd feeling when it comes to the Pacers ), but ( grace can probably offer more insight into this ) from what I have read about the Bulls....they are extremely reluctant to move any 2 of the "Hinrich/Gordon/Deng" combo...which is what the Lakers would want in exchange for Kobe. I don't think that the Bulls liked that they lost to the Pistons in games ( as in lose 3 straight then bows out in 6 )...but I don't get the sense that they are that desperate to trade for Kobe.

pwee31
06-13-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm not sure Paxson will be willing to split up that young, cheap talent that he has to bring in Kobe AND his trade kicker. The Bulls don't seem to be far off. Probably a solid low post scorer away.

That would leave the Knicks who definitely have the contracts, but not necessarily the names that the Lakers would want and could fill seats around.

So if there's any truth to this, the Lakers will HAVE to bring someone in to help liking, and move Bynum OR

They'll have to trade Kobe to another Western Conf. team that has the contracts/names AND hope Kobe agrees

Wow, the Lakers could be knee deep

avoidingtheclowns
06-13-2007, 01:53 PM
it very well could be a hoax... i wasn't saying it was true. i was just saying there was more than just a drunk with a video, they were trying to sell it for $25K... they must have something they thought they could pass off as legit (whether or not that truly be the case).

CableKC
06-13-2007, 01:55 PM
According to the poster on RealGM:

Hey guys! just saw on espn that it's rumored that this is a hoax. Man the Kobe haters will try anything to get under his skin. I'm just glad that this isn't real.

But I agree with avoidingtheclowns, this sounds too good to be true.

pwee31
06-13-2007, 01:57 PM

It probably is, but I've been watching ESPN throughout the day, and I've heard nothing about the situation at all.

DaSMASH
06-13-2007, 02:15 PM
NEWSFLASH !!!

KOBE IS NOT GOING ANYWHERE !!

As the draft draws near ther will be some off the wall "crap" that is going to come out of many different places. Most of that "crap" is coming from the Lakers. The Lakers however are painfully aware that there ARE other teams interested in Jermaine. Hence the report out of LA that the "groundwork is being laid" for a Jermaine to L.A. move. This is just more crap as the groundwork was laid weeks ago, all that anyone is waiting on is the health of Lamar Odom's shoulder. The Pacers are standing pat with either Jermaine for Odom, Bynum, Farmar and the 19th pick, or Jermaine & Tinsley or Murphy for Odom, Bynum,Brown, Farmar and the 19th. The only way that Bynum isn't included is if the Lakers manage to trade the 19th pick and a resigned Luke Walton to either The Celtics, Bucks, Wolves, Bobcats, Bulls or Kings...for pick 5 to 10....and then the trade would only include Tinsley and O'Neal.

All the Laker fans that keep saying No-Way any of these deals happen really think that the mighty Lakers are in a position to demand anything...Kobe fixed that with his trade me crap (remember Ron Artest). There is no way the Lakers can get face value for Kobe and compete, and the NBA NEEDS the Lakers to be able to compete...Jermaine and other minor changes in Laker land (Grant Hill maybe?)

To all you wonderfull Pacer fans that kept saying that I have no idea whats actually being talked about in any trade conversations anywhere go to my thread in the trade proposal Pacer Digest forum....this was posted early in May, way before any reports about any trades surfaced...
http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=31001 :eek: Many of you said that there was no way, and I yet have to hear any apologies from any of you for being correct ...oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep being the bigger and better-smarter-connected man here.

avoidingtheclowns
06-13-2007, 02:27 PM
NEWSFLASH !!!

As the draft draws near ther will be some off the wall "crap" that is going to come out of many different places. Most of that "crap" is coming from the Lakers. The Lakers however are painfully aware that there ARE other teams interested in Jermaine. Hence the report out of LA that the "groundwork is being laid" for a Jermaine to L.A. move. This is just more crap as the groundwork was laid weeks ago, all that anyone is waiting on is the health of Lamar Odom's shoulder. The Pacers are standing pat with either Jermaine for Odom, Bynum, Farmar and the 19th pick, or Jermaine & Tinsley or Murphy for Odom, Bynum,Brown, Farmar and the 19th. The only way that Bynum isn't included is if the Lakers manage to trade the 19th pick and a resigned Luke Walton to either The Celtics, Bucks, Wolves, Bobcats, Bulls or Kings...for pick 5 to 10....and then the trade would only include Tinsley and O'Neal.

All the Laker fans that keep saying No-Way any of these deals happen really think that the mighty Lakers are in a position to demand anything...Kobe fixed that with his trade me crap (remember Ron Artest). There is no way the Lakers can get face value for Kobe and compete, and the NBA NEEDS the Lakers to be able to compete...Jermaine and other minor changes in Laker land (Grant Hill maybe?)

To all you wonderfull Pacer fans that kept saying that I have no idea whats actually being talked about in any trade conversations anywhere go to my thread in the trade proposal Pacer Digest forum....this was posted early in May, way before any reports about any trades surfaced...
http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=31001 :eek: Many of you said that there was no way, and I yet have to hear any apologies from any of you for being correct ...oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep being the bigger and better-smarter-connected man here.

yes you are the bigger person for pointing out that no one had apologized to you. and by your own admission what makes this deal is kobe's meltdown. before that the lakers had more bargaining power so chances are the deal as you proposed it may have been what the pacers were wanting, but probably not the final agreed upon trade. i'd apologize if you had predicted kobe's meltdown and how that would impact trade bargaining.

Since86
06-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Where is a pin to pop that over-inflated ego?

This is a message board, for all we know your connection could be the guy that stands in front of McDonald's wearing sweatpants, way too baggy t-shirt, and a toboggan in 80 degree heat screaming at cars as they go by about how the world is near its end.

avoidingtheclowns
06-13-2007, 02:43 PM
Where is a pin to pop that over-inflated ego?

This is a message board, for all we know your connection could be the guy that stands in front of McDonald's wearing sweatpants, way too baggy t-shirt, and a toboggan in 80 degree heat screaming at cars as they go by about how the world is near its end.

over-inflated? if he needs an apology and reinforcement from people on an e-forum i would say his ego is in worse shape than you think.

Moses
06-13-2007, 02:51 PM
I really don't think a trade will happen until draft day..or shortly after.

If Kobe starts yapping, the Lakers will lose even more leverage..so I hope these reports are true.

Cobol Sam
06-13-2007, 03:01 PM
NEWSFLASH !!!

Come on man, I like reading your stuff. I think its pretty interesting. But it seems like you are getting bitter.

Hakuna Matata :happydanc

Also, good job picking out the L.A. trade scenario.

Speed
06-13-2007, 03:04 PM
NEWSFLASH !!!

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?p=551323#post551323

"The Bobcats - Sean May, Raymond Felton, Gerald Wallace, Walter Herrmann and their first,first round pick for O'Neal and Shawne Williams. Why do the Bobcats do this? O'Neal with Okafer and Morrison gives them a decent front court and with the Free agent market opening up and the Bobcats being under the salary cap anything can happen. Pacers would cut Gerald Wallace. The Bobcats need vets because they have no credibility on the court, just youth."

Is this the one the post we are looking for.... I guess you do deserve an apology.

Anyway, this whole deal really sounds silly to me, sounds like it's made up or if it's real it's really unproveable.

pwee31
06-13-2007, 03:05 PM
NEWSFLASH !!!

I'll admit that I've heard some of the same from a friend whole works towards the bottom of the Pacers, and I admit that he has just told me rumblings throughout Conseco, so they're just rumors to me as well.
But it seems that you are trying to turn the rumors into fact. Yeah you nailed the head on your trade proposal (congrats) although I didn't like the idea at the time, it has grown on me.

What's skeptical is that slowly but surely.... your facts start to change a little. In the Pacers/Lakers near thread you say it's.

JO/Tinsley or Murph for Odom, Bynum, Kwame and the 19th
and the only way Bynum isn't included is if the Lakers get a 5-10 pick ALONG with the 19th

Now here it's the same type of proposal, except Farmar is added to the 19th, and Bynum isn't included if the they can TRADE the 19th and Walton to get a pick 5-10.

Again, not saying you're wrong, b/c I've heard similar things, but I admit it's simply rumors and speculation still.

You on the otherhand, are searching for "props" and acknowledgement as if it's breaking news and complete facts.

Tom White
06-13-2007, 03:06 PM

Many of you said that there was no way, and I yet have to hear any apologies from any of you for being correct ...oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep being the bigger and better-smarter-connected man here.

Ah yes, the mid-May posts that you had where you listed about twelve different trades in different threads. Let's see, you had trade ideas involving Phoenix, both LA teams, Boston, Minnesota, and on and on.

Then there was the "Walls have ears" post where you claimed that Bird and McHale were talking JO/Garnett. Seems that there was also a "a little birdie told me" thread somewhere in there as well.

The only trades you have not speculated on are JO to the Colts for Manning or perhaps a sign and trade with an MLB team.

Apology my butt.

Arcadian
06-13-2007, 03:13 PM
this was posted early in May, way before any reports about any trades surfaced...

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=30671&highlight=bynum+odom

Which comes first April or May? Is there anyone with downtown connections who could find this out?

Los Angeles
06-13-2007, 03:17 PM
The trade hasn't even happened yet.

First: premature speculation. Now: premature ejaculation.

As far as I can tell the Pacers have made ZERO moves. So whoever it was that said the Pacers would make no moves until mid-June, I apologize to you, you were right and I can now admit that you were right. :-p

Speed
06-13-2007, 03:19 PM
The trade hasn't even happened yet.

First: premature speculation. Now: premature ejaculation.

As far as I can tell the Pacers have made ZERO moves. So whoever it was that said the Pacers would make no moves until mid-June, I apologize to you, you were right and I can now admit that you were right. :-p

I think Smash may be right about obtaining Gerald Wallace and then cutting him for no reason, so huge props for that, in advance. :rolleyes:

Frank Slade
06-13-2007, 03:19 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=30671&highlight=bynum+odom

Which comes first April or May? Is there anyone with downtown connections who could find this out?

I know a friend who saw April recently she was buying a condo near September and October in Malibu. I'm not saying , I'm just saying.... :spy:

Word on the street was she was sick and tired of getting the cold shoulder from February and March, and tired of living in May's shadow.

LoneGranger33
06-13-2007, 03:21 PM

I called my buddy, who works for the Pacers Marketing team, and he says April comes before May. Final Answer.

LoneGranger33
06-13-2007, 03:23 PM
I think Smash may be right about obtaining Gerald Wallace and then cutting him for no reason, so huge props for that, in advance. :rolleyes:

Anyone who injures himself by hitting his forehead on the rim should be cut - he is a liability to himself and this teammates.

FlavaDave
06-13-2007, 03:44 PM
:eek: Many of you said that there was no way, and I yet have to hear any apologies from any of you for being correct ...oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep being the bigger and better-smarter-connected man here.

:violin:

:kicknuts: :laugh:

Tom White
06-13-2007, 03:52 PM
I know a friend who saw April recently she was buying a condo near September and October in Malibu. I'm not saying , I'm just saying.... :spy:

Word on the street was she was sick and tired of getting the cold shoulder from February and March, and tired of living in May's shadow.

I'll bet June told you that! She's full of gossip!

NuffSaid
06-13-2007, 03:52 PM
True or not, hoax or not, trading Kobe will remain a difficult task this year because of the no trade clause in his contract. ANY trade must have his approval as far as which teams he can be dealt to. (See this post from PD for details (http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=31673)).

I'm listening to the live online stream of radio station KLAC-AM 570 right now and most of the talk concerning the Lakers have been more about the proposed trade involving Kobe (+ 1 or 2 others) to the Bulls than anything else. There was brief mention of the rumored Pacers/Lakers trade involving JO, but it was only said in passing. It's like the radio hosts know that deal is actually off the table.

I'll keep listening and if something new comes up on this matter or any more Lakers/Kobe trade talk w/some meat to it, I'll post it here.

avoidingtheclowns
06-13-2007, 04:01 PM
^^ or they're just filling air time with the latest rumor because they've got a lot of time to kill.

FlavaDave
06-13-2007, 04:07 PM
^^ or they're just filling air time with the latest rumor because they've got a lot of time to kill.

Exactly. True or not, JO to Kobe is old news until it is actually true.

SoupIsGood
06-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Ah yes, the mid-May posts that you had where you listed about twelve different trades in different threads. Let's see, you had trade ideas involving Phoenix, both LA teams, Boston, Minnesota, and on and on.

Then there was the "Walls have ears" post where you claimed that Bird and McHale were talking JO/Garnett. Seems that there was also a "a little birdie told me" thread somewhere in there as well.

The only trades you have not speculated on are JO to the Colts for Manning or perhaps a sign and trade with an MLB team.

Apology my butt.

Exactly.

What a whacky thread.

NuffSaid
06-13-2007, 05:16 PM
Update on Kobe to Bulls trade rumor per AM 570 radio...

Sounds like the Lakers have inquired to the Bulls about a possible trade involving Kobe, but at this point it's just that - an inquiry. Nothing official, just one team filling out the other. There's also been some talk from the Lakers' camp about them seeking to acquire Artest in some kind of a trade to pair him w/Kobe per the conversation currently taking place on the radio station.

Again, seems this is all filler talk, but the Kobe to the Bulls angle seems to be more real than anything else. Like I said in my earlier post, I've been listening to AM 570 online since about 2:30 CST, and they've only mentioned the JO/Lakers trade once. Everything else has been about the rumors surrounding trading Kobe. So, maybe there's some truth to the Lakers PTB looking to rid themselves of the "Spoiled One" after all.

Stay tuned (to AM 570-KLAC or any Lakers based forum) for details.

CableKC
06-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Update on Kobe to Bulls trade rumor per AM 570 radio...

Sounds like the Lakers have inquired to the Bulls about a possible trade involving Kobe, but at this point it's just that - an inquiry. Nothing official, just one team filling out the other. There's also been some talk from the Lakers' camp about them seeking to acquire Artest in some kind of a trade to pair him w/Kobe per the conversation currently taking place on the radio station.

Again, seems this is all filler talk, but the Kobe to the Bulls angle seems to be more real than anything else. Like I said in my earlier post, I've been listening to AM 570 online since about 2:30 CST, and they've only mentioned the JO/Lakers trade once. Everything else has been about the rumors surrounding trading Kobe. So, maybe there's some truth to the Lakers PTB looking to rid themselves of the "Spoiled One" after all.

Stay tuned (to AM 570-KLAC or any Lakers based forum) for details.
I still don't see the Bulls parting with the necessary players that the Lakers would want ( any 2 of Hinrich/Gordon/Deng ) in order for them to get Kobe.

Maybe Gordon/Nocioni S&T/Duhon/Thabo for Kobe? Is that good enough for the Lakers? I don't know :shrug:

BlueNGold
06-13-2007, 08:14 PM
I still don't see the Bulls parting with the necessary players that the Lakers would want ( any 2 of Hinrich/Gordon/Deng ) in order for them to get Kobe.

Maybe Gordon/Nocioni S&T/Duhon/Thabo for Kobe? Is that good enough for the Lakers? I don't know :shrug:

Hinrich and Gordon are not enough for Kobe. Gordon is a nice offensive player, but no D. In short, the Lakers actually get worse with that deal, even looking a few years into the future. Kobe really is that good.

The only deal worth doing for the Lakers is if they can get Chicago to part with Deng. If they could get Deng and Hinrich, it would probably be worth it at this stage. The only problem with that is, I doubt the Bulls will do it. Those are perhaps their two most valued players....and fit extremely well into their plans. I think it would be a lateral move for them in fact.

Edit: ...and no, Gordon/Noc/Thabo/Duhon is garbage compared to Kobe. That is a major talent drop.

OnlyPacersLeft
06-13-2007, 09:05 PM
eh if this is real bahahah...Hillarious...Indeed!

TripleThreat
06-13-2007, 09:18 PM
over-inflated? if he needs an apology and reinforcement from people on an e-forum i would say his ego is in worse shape than you think.

..and you would be RIGHT!!!! :D

OnlyPacersLeft
06-13-2007, 09:20 PM
NEWSFLASH !!!

lol...hey guys look...it's mitch kupchak! or are you jerry buss? YOu are the man. Thanks for coming on here and letting us know exactly what will happen! Can you tell me when the lakers will acquire kidd for vujajic and future cash considerations? Also is it true KG wants to come for kwame brown and some second rounders? Sign and trade smush for marion!?

WOW
Kidd
Kobe
Marion
KG
JO

OMG! You are the man! that team would put "Da SMASH!" on anyone! Lakers win the nba title the next 5 years!
Thanks for telling us about it da smash...I won't bother watching now ;)
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

indyman37
06-13-2007, 09:45 PM

I'll bet June told you that! She's full of gossip!
That's what I heard, but I was told by April's youngest daughter December. I couldn't get a hold of her older daughter August...

RoboKegboy
06-13-2007, 11:49 PM
The only trades you have not speculated on are JO to the Colts for Manning

OMG, do it! We need somebody with a laser, rocket arm.

Shade
06-14-2007, 12:02 AM

Robot Keg Boy? Are you one 'o dem newfangled "Transformers" I done seen on the telyvision?

FlavaDave
06-14-2007, 12:05 AM
That's what I heard, but I was told by April's youngest daughter December. I couldn't get a hold of her older daughter August...

December is a biased source (due to her romance with May).

Shade
06-14-2007, 12:11 AM
June Is My Homeboy.

grace
06-14-2007, 01:44 AM

Yes, by the looks of his United Way Commercial on SNL he'd fit in just fine with the Pacers. :rolleyes:

;)

Naptown_Seth
06-14-2007, 02:14 AM
..and you would be RIGHT!!!! :D
Yep. Clowns gets ownage on that one, though you have to love the overall pile on that followed, pretty expectedly I'd say.

BTW, May/December wedding just took a whole new ugly turn. That family tree ain't got no branches, what is this, Flowers in the Attic or something?

indygeezer
06-14-2007, 08:14 AM
So, where does this stand? Did Kobe bash his teammates or not. Does some secret cellphone video exist or is this all a hoax? What's the latest?

Mourning
06-14-2007, 08:28 AM
I called my buddy, who works for the Pacers Marketing team, and he says April comes before May. Final Answer.

:spitout: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

NuffSaid
06-14-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm listening to the live online stream of radio station KLAC-AM 570 right now...

...and the Lakers/Kobe trade talk is now centered around acquiring Ron Artest! In fact, the sports talkshow hosts have all but said the JO to the Lakers trade is nixed! No, they didn't come out and say it...they don't have that kind of insider info I'm sure..., but it appears there has been a shift in who the Lakers now covet in an effort to "appease" Kobe. They're definately going after big named players...anyone who states they're interested in coming to the Lakers.

Stay tuned...

Since86
06-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Buss is on vacation in Asia, I heard that the other day, so they said the deal talk was on stand still until he got back.

If they can't work on a trade because he's gone, how is it going to be nixed?

NuffSaid
06-14-2007, 04:08 PM
Perhaps because JOB was able to talk some sense into Bird concerning JO. Remember, Bird did say JOB would have some input as to the players he wants on his roster. So, maybe...just maybe JO has been taken off the table because the new coach wants him to stay. And maybe the player himself has had a change of heart and now sees that the direction the new coach wants the team to go in is attainable.

Just a thought...

UPDATE: Just heard it on AM 570 KLAC. It seems JO has removed himself from the Lakers trade. The talkshow hosts were discussing some upcoming event that Magic Johnson sponsors and JO was among the name of some of the big named attendees. One of the announces commented (and I paraphrase), "...if we can't get Jermaine in a Lakers' uniform we atleast get to see him at the Saple Center since he changed his mind about coming here."

Not making this up, folks. Like I said, I've been staying glued to this radio station since yesterday (6/13/07)...figured what better way to keep tabs on all these Kobe/Lakers trade issues....

Again, THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL, but I honestly believe based on the way JOB commented during his online chat coupled with very little chatter out of the LA media concerning a trade for JO in recent days, that JO is off the trade block. But, until we hear/read it on ESPN/Pacers.com/NBA.com, a trade involving JO is still possible. I really hope not, but...

Stay tuned...

indygeezer
06-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Perhaps because JOB was able to talk some sense into Bird concerning JO. Remember, Bird did say JOB would have some input as to the players he wants on his roster. So, maybe...just maybe JO has been taken off the table because the new coach wants him to stay. And maybe the player himself has had a change of heart and now sees that the direction the new coach wants the team to go in is attainable.

Just a thought...

UPDATE: Just heard it on AM 570 KLAC. It seems JO has removed himself from the Lakers trade. The talkshow hosts were discussing some upcoming event that Magic Johnson sponsors and JO was among the name of some of the big named attendees. One of the announces commented (and I paraphrase), "...if we can't get Jermaine in a Lakers' uniform we atleast get to see him at the Saple Center since he changed his mind about coming here."

Not making this up, folks. Like I said, I've been staying clued to this radio station since yesterday (6/13/07)...figured what better way to keep tabs on all these Kobe/Lakers trade issues....

Again, THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL, but I honestly believe based on the way JOB commented during his online chat coupled with very little chatter out of the LA media concerning a trade for JO in recent days, that JO is off the trade block. But, until we hear/read it on ESPN/Pacers.com/NBA.com, a trade involving JO is still possible. I really hope not, but...

Stay tuned...

Meh, sorry I asked.

NuffSaid
06-14-2007, 04:52 PM
Meh, sorry I asked.
There, there, 'geez. (rubbing that old man's balding head). It'll be ok.

'Least you still got me; I ain't going no where, pal. :laugh:

pwee31
06-14-2007, 04:57 PM
Draft night will be fun.

carpediem024
06-14-2007, 05:04 PM
Draft night will be fun.

VERY. Can't wait to see what's going to happen with Kobe.

Anthem
06-14-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm happy for Jermaine to stay. But I don't see a lot of opportunities to improve the team without trading him.

Smashed_Potato
06-14-2007, 05:38 PM
I have been hearing AM570 all day long and nothing like that was mentioned NuffSaid.

pwee31
06-14-2007, 05:42 PM
This was on the laker forum, evidently from the Chad Ford chat earlier today? I don't have ESPN insider, so not sure if this was actually in the chat or not.

Phil (LA): Who do the Lakers draft at 19, do they trade to try and acquire some "help now"?

SportsNation Chad Ford: That pick is one of the chips they are using to get a star to help Kobe. I still believe, at the end of the day, that the Lakers and Pacers will work something out for Jermaine O'Neal and the Pacers will get that pick

Naptown_Seth
06-14-2007, 05:46 PM
I'm happy for Jermaine to stay. But I don't see a lot of opportunities to improve the team without trading him.
I'm not 100% there were many if they did trade him either.

If he stays then at worst you stink but get a top 10 pick next year, that could be a way to improve in a hurry. Look at the Jazz and Deron Williams (and yes, Boozer getting healthy).

JO is a strong defender, JOB likes defense. I can see the common interest. :)

NuffSaid
06-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Again, I'm not claiming I have the inside scoup on this JO trade rumor, but it does seem very odd to me that all of a sudden the JO-to-Lakers trade talks have simmered down out of LA and have been overwhelmingly replaced by both the "Kobe-to-Bulls" and "Artest-to-Lakers" rumors. Then again, we all know the validity of any rumor on any given day.

I, for one, hope that JO does stay a Pacer. However, unlike yourself and several others, I DO believe this team can - AND WILL - get better even if they don't make a single trade. Reason: JOB and his coaching staff.

Let's keep this in mind above all else (and I'm sorry for hi-jacking this thread, but in this case it couldn't be helped): the biggest reason 4 of the team's best players all left (Artest, AJ, Al and SJax) was due, in large part, to their "dislike" of the offensive style implemented under RC. Every one of those players stated at one time or another, to one degree or another, that RC's offense was too rigged, too restricting, too controlling. Now that he's gone, those "restrictions" will be lifted under JOB who has stated time and again he prefers a more uptempo offense w/emphasis on team defense. Is it impossible, then, that JO is now showing a willingness to stay since JOB's hiring and upon learning of his new head coach's game plan?

I think once all the dust clears and people (JO) has really thought it through, he'll realize this is where he needs to be, and his chances to finally get to the big dance rest with this team under its new leadership (from a coaching perspective). JOB has brought in not just people he trusts, but people who have proven they know their stuff. For what it's worth, I think the right coach has been hired. If he can win over JO to stay and get Tinsley to play under control and to his maximum potential, everything else will fall into place.

As for the roster as it currently stands, I really don't see that much of a problem with it. If anything, what I do see are players who are playing out of position not realizing that their skill-sets would be better suiting "over there" vice where they play currently.

Examples:

Granger - would probably be better at the 2-Guard than at SF because of his ball control, dribble penetration, shooting touch and overall athletisism.

MDjr - Is a decent SG, but I wonder if he'd do better at SF because of his defense; it's actually better than most people give him credit.

Murphy - Would probably benefit more from playing @ SF than at Center, but could probably fit at PF as well only due to his 3-pt range.

JO - We've all said it a thousand times...he's a natural at Center, but injuries are his achillies heal.

It wouldn't surprise me if JOB took a close look at this very issue and considered making some (lineup) chances. He's brought in the right people who can be very influential to the degree that such sacrafices would be to the utmost benefit to the team. And if these guys want to win a championship any time soon, they'd be stupid not to listen to what he has to say...if such concepts are ever presented.

Smashed_Potato
06-14-2007, 05:53 PM
Pwee31, yes that was in the Chat log. i have no idea were NuffSaid is getting this news from i have had my ears attached AM570 all day long and not a single about JO and him signing off on a trade.

NuffSaid probably heard wrong.

NuffSaid
06-14-2007, 05:57 PM
I have been hearing AM570 all day long and nothing like that was mentioned NuffSaid.
Maybe you stepped out around 3:26pm CST/1:26pm PST when the discussion took place.

Regardless, I'm in no way making any official claim, but I did hear the talk radio jock make such a comment concerning JO. And again, I reiterate, these guys have as much of the inside track as we do, but the fact that you support atleast the claim that there's been very little chatter out of LA (talk radio circuit) on the trade might mean LAL is either looking in other directions, i.e., the Kobe trade angle, or they've started looking at acquiring other players, i.e., the Artest angle, or they're just keeping mum about their true intensions.

Nonetheless, everything is speculative until the trade is officially done, if it's carried through at all. So...

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that JO stays put.

(Sidenote: Smashed, maybe btwn the two of us, one might get wind of the real trade deal, huh? ;) Keep your ear atuned to that radio on your end and I'll do the same. :) )

Smashed_Potato
06-14-2007, 05:57 PM
Again, I'm not claiming I have the inside scoup on this JO trade rumor, but it does seem very odd to me that all of a sudden the JO-to-Lakers trade talks have simmered down out of LA and have been overwhelmingly replaced by both the "Kobe-to-Bulls" and "Artest-to-Lakers" rumors. Then again, we all know the validity of any rumor on any given day.

Are you serious? you expect people to talk about JO to LA without no new Info out yet? there is no point discussing something time after time without nothing new out there thats why people change subjects.

Smashed_Potato
06-14-2007, 05:58 PM
Maybe you stepped out around 3:26pm CST/1:26pm PST when the discussion took place.

Regardless, I'm in no way making any official claim, but I did hear the talk radio jock make such a comment concerning JO.

Can you tell me who told this story? if its Hacksaw forget about it and move on.

CableKC
06-14-2007, 06:03 PM
I still cannot fathom what Paxson is willing to give up to get Kobe.

For whatever reason, it seems that Hinrich and Deng are near untouchable......with Gordon being a logical piece to include. Nocioni can be a S&T...Duhon can be included.....and the 9th pick.....but after the negotiating "Artwork" that Paxson woven together to get what he got from Zeke for Curry and Crawford....I really wonder how much the Bulls are willing to give up for Kobe. Although its always great to get a player like Kobe....who should make a clear difference on the team....I just don't see how much better the Bulls would be ( at least compared to making some other move to simply get a Low-Post scoring PF while keeping the significant depth that they have now ) GIVEN all that they will likely have to giveup to get Kobe in the first place.

I will be truly amazed if the Bulls make a trade that involves Kobe.

Smashed_Potato
06-14-2007, 06:06 PM
NuffSaid i have been hearing the Podcast from hour 2 hour today and nothing I'm not saying you're a liar but nothing of substance here.

NuffSaid
06-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Can you tell me who told this story? if its Hacksaw forget about it and move on.
I don't know the talk jock's names...I just started listening to the online stream yesterday, but it was during AM 570's "Loose Cannon's" radio show if that helps.

NuffSaid i have been hearing the Podcast from hour 2 hour today and nothing I'm not saying you're a liar but nothing of substance here.
Cool...you've got it on PodCast. Can you go back and listen from the point where the talk jocks are discussing the event I mentioned earlier that's sponsored by Magic Johnson? It was about then where I think the comment was made. I'll concede maybe they said it in jest AND maybe I did hear them wrong, but I'm pretty sure I heard them correctly.

Smashed_Potato
06-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Thats the problem Nuffsaid nothing about JO and Magic Johnson sponsors.. lastest from today is on Chad Fords chat log.

NuffSaid
06-14-2007, 06:27 PM
Smashed,

They've mentioned some sponsored event atleast twice, and I'm sure it involves Magic Johnson. Regardless, I'll concede maybe I heard wrong since what I've mentioned can't be supported by anyone else. But again, I wasn't trying to claim reporting any official news on the JO trade front. I do, however, think it's odd most LAL trade talk has shifted from acquiring JO to either acquiring other players and/or trading Kobe. But since the later two issues seem to be the "topic of the day"...

Now, maybe it's as you say that since there's been nothing new on that particular front there's just nothing new to report. For what it's worth, I, for one, hope all future conversations continue to exclude JO's name.

CableKC
06-14-2007, 06:29 PM
If any of this is true...and Kobe is somehow headed out of LakerLand....then I wonder if the Lakers Organization decided ( just like before ) to put all their chips on a younger player ( Bynum this time....Kobe a couple of years ago ) instead of the player with the bigger mouth ( Kobe, this time......Shaq a couple of years ago ).

I'm wondering if Lakers Front Office and Pacers TPTB negotiations brokedown to the point where the Lakers weren't budging on including both Odom and Bynum....or the Pacers insistance on getting both.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the Lakers somehow gets shafted and have to rebuild after trading Kobe. There's a certain sense of smugness and arrogance that exudes from that Organization ( much like the Knicks ) that I...as a fan...do not like. I wouldn't mind to see them knocked down a few pegs. Humility would do the whole Lakers Organization some good.

One more thing.....if I was a season ticket holder for the Lakers....I would want my money back.

speakout4
06-14-2007, 07:08 PM
UPDATE: Just heard it on AM 570 KLAC. It seems JO has removed himself from the Lakers trade.

What does that mean that JO removed himself, as if Bird is putting JO's desires before what is best for the franchise? If Bird does that he truly is the worst businessman in the nba. Unless JO has a no trade clause he plays where they say he plays and I kind of think that leaving the Pacers in their present circumstance would not be unappealing.

How the simons could let idiots run their club is :censored: amazing.

Anthem
06-14-2007, 07:11 PM
What does that mean that JO removed himself, as if Bird is putting JO's desires before what is best for the franchise? If Bird does that he truly is the worst businessman in the nba. Unless JO has a no trade clause he plays where they say he plays and I kind of think that leaving the Pacers in their present circumstance would not be unappealing.
I wouldn't rush to judgment on this. I think that's most likely shorthand for "Jermaine is no longer demanding a trade," with the rumor source not aware of the fact that Jermaine never demanded a trade in the first place.

It's hard to fault Jermaine in this. He's kept his mouth shut (you think LA and NY reporters haven't tried getting quotes from him?) and consistently said that he'd love to stay but will understand if he's dealt. You can't expect any more from him than that... he's handled everything perfectly.

owl
06-14-2007, 07:59 PM
Have you guys ever heard of a game called chicken?

I get the feeling that is the game being played right now.

Fast Eddie
06-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Petros & Money on 570klac radio had a caller say they are close to the Buss's and Kobe and Dr. Jerry Buss are meeting Friday one on one in Barcelona Spain. I don't know how much credit it holds, this is the first time I have listened to their show.

Naptown_Seth
06-15-2007, 10:03 AM
I don't know, if the Bulls could keep Hinrich, Deng and Ben and then add Kobe to that mix, that makes sense to me considering how last season ended for them.

I like their other pieces but Kobe is like super-Gordon and he's a solid defender. I think the Bulls could stand for a little consolidation of talent into one player, while the Lakers are badly in need of a little diversification. I mean even the JO pairing has people wondering how that will be enough to push them forward.

Anthem, I agree. The last couple of years I've been impressed with how JO has handled things in the press. Of course I also agreed with him going to Rick and saying "this crap isn't working" early in the season, mainly because as I was sitting there watching it I was thinking "this crap isn't working". :)

Regardless, that wasn't him going to the press, that was a reporter listening in to a private meeting from outside the room.

avoidingtheclowns
06-15-2007, 10:20 AM
I don't know, if the Bulls could keep Hinrich, Deng and Ben and then add Kobe to that mix, that makes sense to me considering how last season ended for them.

of course that makes sense, you take a team that almost came back against the pistons from being down in the series and add a 30ppg scorer? yes, of course that makes sense to the bulls. but how could the bulls possibly get kobe without giving up any of gordon, hinrich or deng? who do you suggest the bulls trade if they add kobe to hinrich, gordon and deng?

and if that is even remotely possible, we might as well offer murphy, dunleavy, greene and Andrew Betts for kobe and get him here if you don't think the lakers would have to take young prospects.

the bulls are going to have to part with at least two of those guys (probably deng and gordon) along with duhon and whatever to make the $$$ work.

DaSMASH
06-15-2007, 10:55 AM
I still cannot fathom what Paxson is willing to give up to get Kobe.

For whatever reason, it seems that Hinrich and Deng are near untouchable......with Gordon being a logical piece to include. Nocioni can be a S&T...Duhon can be included.....and the 9th pick.....but after the negotiating "Artwork" that Paxson woven together to get what he got from Zeke for Curry and Crawford....I really wonder how much the Bulls are willing to give up for Kobe. Although its always great to get a player like Kobe....who should make a clear difference on the team....I just don't see how much better the Bulls would be ( at least compared to making some other move to simply get a Low-Post scoring PF while keeping the significant depth that they have now ) GIVEN all that they will likely have to giveup to get Kobe in the first place..

Your right!

The Bulls do not have the compensation or the contracts to make a Kobe trade work. Ben Wallace would surely have to be included as well as Deng and or Heinrich or Gordon. What would the point of getting Kobe be without those players?

This is just a bad rumor with no validity to try to scare other teams (Pacers) into making a bad trade.

Let the Games Begin!

Shade
06-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Eric Pincus has confirmed the video to be the real deal:

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_22362.shtml

Shade
06-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Having turned away a lucrative offer (by an unknown party) to destroy the tape, the group has put the video on the market to the highest bidder.

Translation: Kobe's efforts to purchase and destroy the evidence were denied.

CableKC
06-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Translation: Kobe's efforts to purchase and destroy the evidence were denied.
[/FONT]
Has he even commented on that? Maybe I missed it, but did he even come out and publically say that the video was fake? Did he even say suggest anything that remotely comes close to saying something like "that was all personal, not business" to salvage any negative PR fallout for the Lakers? I'm not saying that its significantly damaging to the Lakers, but its clear evidence that Kobe doesn't get along with the current GM ( and by extension....the overall Front Office ).

I really wonder what Kobe's mindset is right now. Everything he does...or does not do.....seems to limit if not erode the Laker's ability to negotiate any effective deal to keep him in LakerLand.

Maybe that is it. He really wants out of LakerLand and forcing the Lakers to choose between getting a crappier deal ( given that he is doing very little to convince people that he wants to stay ) or sending him out to Chicago or ( worse ) NY ( given that he these comments and previous "flip flop" comments that he keeps on making ).

I'm beginnning to suspect that he wants out...like what he originally said. He can't get along with Kupchek and is tired of carrying the load all by himself. If this is the case, what's worse ( for the Lakers )...given his No-Trade clause...he can even force the Lakers to ( in theory ) take a lesser deal ( as in a Duhon+Nocioni+Gordon+PJBrown S&T deal ) so that he still has a better supporting cast with Hinrich, Deng and...possibly Big Ben.

Of course, the only other option is to simply sit him for the year and wait til he chooses to opt out....which I suspect they won't do.

Shade
06-18-2007, 06:30 PM
I found part of the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kt9DBMMwCM

That's Kobe all right.

pwee31
06-18-2007, 06:48 PM
I could careless about the video. I'm just waiting for him to be traded or for Bynum/Odom to be traded. Until that happens... blah

carpediem024
06-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Here in this, this f**** up position.

BlueNGold
06-18-2007, 09:31 PM
I am beginning to smell a rat. I don't believe in Bigfoot, Martians or the Loch Ness monster. I also don't believe these trade demands nor this video.

This video and the trade demands are a FARCE! Merely a negotiating ploy.

avoidingtheclowns
06-18-2007, 09:35 PM
^^ yeah the guy is too close and too out in the open for kobe not to know the kid is filming.

pwee31
06-18-2007, 10:06 PM
I don't think the video is a setup. I'm sure Kobe knows it's being recorded, and I'm guessing he at least somewhat knows the who's recording it. It's not like he's gonna let a random fan or stranger just start recording his convo. It's doesn't have to be a farce, it's just Kobe reiterating that if the Lakers don't bring in some serious help, that he wants traded. All the video PROBABLY does (since that is just a tiny preview) is give the Lakers front office an ultimatum. By Kobe bad mouthing the front office and fellow players, he's pretty saying them or me, and leaving it where the Lakers front office can't beat around the bush.

Kobe or Bynum. That's the Lakers decision pretty much. Every all-star that the Lakers would want to help Kobe will require Bynum and salary pieces. It's that simple, and that's more then likely what Kobe will be cussing about. You can trade away this 7'0 kid that everyone seems love, put in players to make salary work and bring me some real help, or you can kiss my *** as I leave Lakerland.

Major Cold
06-18-2007, 10:54 PM
I don't think the video is a setup. I'm sure Kobe knows it's being recorded, and I'm guessing he at least somewhat knows the who's recording it. It's not like he's gonna let a random fan or stranger just start recording his convo. It's doesn't have to be a farce, it's just Kobe reiterating that if the Lakers don't bring in some serious help, that he wants traded. All the video PROBABLY does (since that is just a tiny preview) is give the Lakers front office an ultimatum. By Kobe bad mouthing the front office and fellow players, he's pretty saying them or me, and leaving it where the Lakers front office can't beat around the bush.

Kobe or Bynum. That's the Lakers decision pretty much. Every all-star that the Lakers would want to help Kobe will require Bynum and salary pieces. It's that simple, and that's more then likely what Kobe will be cussing about. You can trade away this 7'0 kid that everyone seems love, put in players to make salary work and bring me some real help, or you can kiss my *** as I leave Lakerland.

What happens if the players that you match salary with are a vital part to the offensive system. Kobe and JO without Odom leaves a slightly better offensive structure of Kobe and Odom. If Odom is traded and no other players are aquired this off season I don't see LA being favorites with just JO and Kobe. Odom works the triangle fairly well. What indication that JO can learn the system enough to compensate the lose of Odom.

pwee31
06-19-2007, 01:04 AM
What happens if the players that you match salary with are a vital part to the offensive system. Kobe and JO without Odom leaves a slightly better offensive structure of Kobe and Odom. If Odom is traded and no other players are aquired this off season I don't see LA being favorites with just JO and Kobe. Odom works the triangle fairly well. What indication that JO can learn the system enough to compensate the lose of Odom.

I'm not sure it will work either, but if it pleases your star, then it's a move you have to look into.
I think a JO and Kobe team, is better then a Kobe/Odom/Bynum team. I'm sure JO can work the triangle decent enough. Phil worked with the inside/outside presence of an O'neal and Kobe before and it was successful, so I'm sure it can get back to that.
JO can be a go to guy and put up points, he's just not one down the stretch and with Kobe, he wouldn't have to be. He also bring a better defense player to the table. Odom was decent, and Bynum blocked shots here or there, but he commited a lot of stupid fouls. JO improves that.

The Lakers now have a solid 1-2 punch. JO won't have to bang as much being out West and the 2nd option at most times. The Lakers still have a solid player in Walton who was playing really well before innjury. If Mihm is resigned, he should compliment JO. The Pacers maybe sending a player with JO as well. I know folks are down on Tinsley, but he showed he can stay pretty healthy last year, and aside from a couple off-court run ins, and bad shooting, he played pretty well. He can drive and score, can handle and pass. And may bring a different dimension for Phil to work with. If not Jamaal then Murphy. He was off and on in Indy, but the triangle should do him some good. He could be like a Grant/Horry and step out and knock down jumpshots. He should be able to rebound better with his injury behind him. With Kobe on the floor, he just has to knock down some open shots here or there.

The Lakers also have some solid 2nd round selections where players should be availible who can come in and fit a role! So I think the Lakers could be a lot better then some think with JO.

They'll be a lot better with JO, then without Kobe.

Naptown_Seth
06-19-2007, 09:03 AM
^^ yeah the guy is too close and too out in the open for kobe not to know the kid is filming.
Phone camera, he didn't realize it was video (ie, kid taking photo, so what), probably didn't think about it with a crowd of people gathering. He's a star, people gather around him all the time. Plus he's mad, it's not a secret conference, he's blowing off steam. Turn that camera around and look at the 16 people standing around taking pix, trying to get a sig, etc. I mean do I see a Walgreens or something back there, this isn't a private area.

I hope no one seriously thinks its all just one big ploy. You know out in the world called reality people actually do get pretty PO'd with their bosses and coworkers, teams do actually talk to other teams about possible deals, etc.

The issue isn't if someone called Boston or Chicago or whatever, it's how much Peter Vescey takes "I saw Kobe at the pool" and turns it into "sources say Kobe considering retirement to pursue swimming career". Shred of truth with tons of Bill Walton dramatic embellishment.

Major Cold
06-19-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm not sure it will work either, but if it pleases your star, then it's a move you have to look into.
I think a JO and Kobe team, is better then a Kobe/Odom/Bynum team. I'm sure JO can work the triangle decent enough. Phil worked with the inside/outside presence of an O'neal and Kobe before and it was successful, so I'm sure it can get back to that.
JO can be a go to guy and put up points, he's just not one down the stretch and with Kobe, he wouldn't have to be. He also bring a better defense player to the table. Odom was decent, and Bynum blocked shots here or there, but he commited a lot of stupid fouls. JO improves that.

The Lakers now have a solid 1-2 punch. JO won't have to bang as much being out West and the 2nd option at most times. The Lakers still have a solid player in Walton who was playing really well before innjury. If Mihm is resigned, he should compliment JO. The Pacers maybe sending a player with JO as well. I know folks are down on Tinsley, but he showed he can stay pretty healthy last year, and aside from a couple off-court run ins, and bad shooting, he played pretty well. He can drive and score, can handle and pass. And may bring a different dimension for Phil to work with. If not Jamaal then Murphy. He was off and on in Indy, but the triangle should do him some good. He could be like a Grant/Horry and step out and knock down jumpshots. He should be able to rebound better with his injury behind him. With Kobe on the floor, he just has to knock down some open shots here or there.

The Lakers also have some solid 2nd round selections where players should be availible who can come in and fit a role! So I think the Lakers could be a lot better then some think with JO.

They'll be a lot better with JO, then without Kobe.

No doubt they will be at least slightly better, but will they be good enough. Lets say it takes 20 games to mesh well. With a record neting them a 5 seed around trade deadline and selfish Kobe could very well start something again. He tasted 3 championships and being slightly better is not going to answer his craving, just ask some of us Pacers fans who tasted the ECF too much.

Oneal07
06-19-2007, 10:43 AM
I found part of the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kt9DBMMwCM

That's Kobe all right.

So, they should have had a partin the vid that was controversial, cause theres noting special about that clip

Naptown_Seth
06-19-2007, 11:22 AM
So, they should have had a partin the vid that was controversial, cause theres noting special about that clip
They are trying to sell it I think, thus only releasing enough to give a taste it would appear.

avoidingtheclowns
06-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Phone camera, he didn't realize it was video (ie, kid taking photo, so what), probably didn't think about it with a crowd of people gathering. He's a star, people gather around him all the time. Plus he's mad, it's not a secret conference, he's blowing off steam. Turn that camera around and look at the 16 people standing around taking pix, trying to get a sig, etc. I mean do I see a Walgreens or something back there, this isn't a private area.

I hope no one seriously thinks its all just one big ploy. You know out in the world called reality people actually do get pretty PO'd with their bosses and coworkers, teams do actually talk to other teams about possible deals, etc.

The issue isn't if someone called Boston or Chicago or whatever, it's how much Peter Vescey takes "I saw Kobe at the pool" and turns it into "sources say Kobe considering retirement to pursue swimming career". Shred of truth with tons of Bill Walton dramatic embellishment.

certainly that is possible, but i also know that for as much as donnie likes to shut out the media, LA likes to use it to negotiate. yes people in the real world to get mad at their bosses and tend to both verbalize and vocalize that to others.

all i'm saying is that initially i assumed it was much more innocent as far as kobe not having any idea that some kid behind him was filming. this is in daylight and easily 5-10' away. so its more plausible that it could be the lakers using unconventional negotiating tools.