PDA

View Full Version : O'Brien Chat

pwee31
06-13-2007, 01:33 PM
I know it was posted sorta in another thread, but that's mostly Carlisle stuff.

Did any of you send a question in or plan on following the chat today?

avoidingtheclowns
06-13-2007, 01:40 PM
I know it was posted sorta in another thread, but that's mostly Carlisle stuff.

Did any of you send a question in or plan on following the chat today?

i asked a fairly specific question about how he might use a dominant post player like O'Neal in his offense. i figured if he gives a thoughtful answer it could indicate that there is a real shot JO could be here next season, if he's vague it could mean a trade is coming. also maybe give some insight on ike's future here.

pwee31
06-13-2007, 01:46 PM
Yeah I was trying to figure out a way to get trade talk out of him, without asking about trade talk! haha. you picked a pretty goos route.

I went more of the roster route and asked depending too much on injury prone guys staying healthy

Hicks
06-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I asked him about his plans to use the 3 point shot given we don't have any great 3 point shooters.

Cobol Sam
06-13-2007, 01:54 PM
I just tried joining the chat, it hasn't started yet has it? I guess its not quite 2pm eastern yet.

avoidingtheclowns
06-13-2007, 01:56 PM
about 4 minutes... i'm not going to be able to join it because for some reason the new computer i'm working on won't allow me to install a flash plug in. sigh. hopefully someone will post it here.

indyman37
06-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Yipee! My question got answered!

pwee31
06-13-2007, 02:00 PM
It just started. You don't need flash, it's just an option!

hmm the 1st question doesn't make it appear like JO is getting traded

indyman37
06-13-2007, 02:02 PM

That was my question...

avoidingtheclowns
06-13-2007, 02:16 PM

eh... it seemed like more of a stock answer (JO, he's the star player, I'm excited to coach a star) to me.

i love his mangling of rick's last name.

indyman37
06-13-2007, 02:22 PM
thats it? that was like 6 questions!

pwee31
06-13-2007, 02:29 PM
wow, that was quick

pwee31
06-13-2007, 02:31 PM
That was my question...

Congrats on being one out of the handful!

avoidingtheclowns
06-13-2007, 02:31 PM
yeah... man of few words. bet we're not going to have a weekly radio show with J'Ob

indyman37
06-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Congrats on being one out of the handful!
Thanks...I didn't really get the type of answer I was looking for though.

MagicRat
06-13-2007, 02:33 PM
bet we're not going to have a weekly radio show with J'Ob

I actually sent a question asking if he is.

Maybe if mboyle1313 wanders in here he can enlighten us......

Smashed_Potato
06-13-2007, 02:33 PM

O'Brien has to comment on JO hes still on the roster as of now and coaches/GM's always have to act like there part of the team until that player is traded.

pwee31
06-13-2007, 02:40 PM
O'Brien has to comment on JO hes still on the roster as of now and coaches/GM's always have to act like there part of the team until that player is traded.

Yeah i know, that was just my 1st reaction. Indy man asked which player he looking forward to coaching, and it was JO even though there were trade rumors, and I was like hmm well scratch that.

Then I thought about it and was like... hmm wait a minute.... he had to say that.

NuffSaid
06-14-2007, 12:30 PM
For me, there are some interesting things of note:

1) Views JO as a key player on both sides of the ball.

2) Sees Tinsley as a key part of the offense and believes as many of you do that a more uptempo offense will actually benefit him.

3) Is very willing to develop the young talent, i.e., Williams, Ike and even Granger, MDjr and Harrison.

4) Unlike many, sees Harrison as a legit Center (backup minimum. Although he doesn't come out and say it, the fact that he does mention that Ike would have to compete w/Harrison for minutes speaks highly of Harrison's talents and the fact that he sees potential in him.)

5) Understands the importance of using a 3-pronged offense for a team to be truly successful:

a) low-post play.
b) perimeter shooting.

c) dribble penetration.
6) Understands the need for speed and quickness on both sides of the ball.

7) Will set clear standards as far as how the game is played, i.e., 3-second rule for getting the ball beyond half-court, defines a "standstill open 3-pter" as a good perimeter shot.

8) Has confidence in the core players: JO, Tinsley, Granger, Quis, MDjr, as well as the youngsters, Williams and Ike. He even sees players like Harrison and Murphy as key contributors.

I wish the session would have been longer, (Okay, truth is I wish he had answered a few of my questions; I submitted like 7 of 'em. :D ) but there was still some good stuff in that 20-30 minute spill.

pwee31
06-14-2007, 02:35 PM
I like some of the things he had to say, but I'm not sure if some of the things he said weren't just thrown out there to sound good, and make players look better to opposing teams

NuffSaid
06-14-2007, 04:11 PM
I don't see JOB as the PC type, not like RC was. So, it's very possible his comments concerning the players mentioned are genuine.

indyman37
06-14-2007, 09:16 PM
lmao at the blurb about the chat on the http://www.pacers.com homepage:

<BIG>O'Brien Discusses Variety of Topics in Chat</BIG> (http://www.nba.com/pacers/chat/obrien_070613.html)
In a lengthy chat with Pacers fans, Coach Jim O'Brien answered questions about most every key player and position on the roster, including Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley, as well as addressing potential roles for the corps of young players. Read the full transcript and see what O'Brien had to say to the fans.

Anthem
06-14-2007, 09:32 PM
If that's lengthy, I'd hate to find out what brief is.

Unclebuck
06-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Is anyone else like me. Whenever I see the name O'Brien, it seems wierd and it takes me a second to figure out that yes he is our coach

pwee31
06-14-2007, 09:49 PM
If that's lengthy, I'd hate to find out what brief is.

I'm here, let the chat begin. I want to thank everybody for their questions today, it's always a pleasure to interact with our fans and I look forward to doing this again soon.

avoidingtheclowns
06-14-2007, 09:58 PM
i guess i don't even understand why it was a live chat if it was going to be brief amount of time and the questions were pre-submitted... why couldn't he just do a posted Q&A on pacers.com? it seems like a lot of show for nothing.