PDA

View Full Version : Artest working out at the Pacersí practice facility

Unclebuck
06-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Let the rumors begin.

I'm sorry, this was just too much fun to pass up. I swear I did not doctor it at all, go to the link if you don't believe me

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/007316.html

Hey, Sam, where are all the Kings' men?
Question: How come the Bee doesn't track player movements during the off season? The fans still want to know what they are up to.

Answer: We do to a certain extent, but I can oblige as best I can. Kevin Martin has spent the past few weeks in his hometown of Zanesville, Ohio, and is now in Clearwater, Fla., with his personal coach David Thorpe.

Mike Bibby has been in Sacramento quite a bit, and was even seen working out at a Goldís Gym at the same time as Ron Artest, and - get this - former Kings coach Eric Musselman. Bibby has a local basketball camp coming up that I should have more details on soon.

Artest, by the way, has traveled from Sacramento to New York and Indiana Ė even working out at the Pacersí practice facility.

Quincy Douby, I was told, spent some time in his hometown of Coney Island. Brad Miller, as always, is probably fishing and hunting on his property in Kendalville, Ind. Kenny Thomas has been in Sacramento, as has Shareef Abdur-Rahim. And while I donít know the whereabouts of Francisco Garcia, heís apparently getting more and more comfortable in the area as he bought a new house. Thatís all I can think of for now.

Posted by tnegrete at 04:13 PM

Doug
06-13-2007, 09:24 AM
A friend of mine saw Ron at the gym last week, so he is in town for sure.

idioteque
06-13-2007, 09:27 AM
Whhhhhhy is this being allowed to happen? Erasing the memory of the brawl should be exactly that, not letting the player that more or less started it for the Pacers coming back to our practice facilities.

This is ridiculous.

Is Carlisle keeping his office as well even though he isn't with the franchise anymore?

:censored::censored::censored::censored:

Shade
06-13-2007, 09:36 AM
:wtf: :huh: :jawdrop: :confused:

FrenchConnection
06-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Is there an unwritten or written rule that NBA players are allowed to use any team's facilities in the offseason? It seems to me that you hear about this sort of thing a lot.

Robobtowncolt
06-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Not sure why this is a big deal/problem.

RWB
06-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Whhhhhhy is this being allowed to happen? Erasing the memory of the brawl should be exactly that, not letting the player that more or less started it for the Pacers coming back to our practice facilities.

This is ridiculous.

Is Carlisle keeping his office as well even though he isn't with the franchise anymore?

:censored::censored::censored::censored:

DC, I'm just the opposite on this and love that Ron Artest is working out in the Pacers gym. If other guys are working on their game here you want to play against hard nosed players. Danny Granger said a lot of his improvement his rookie year came because he played against a physical player like Ron.

Ron is no longer on the team so unless he kidnaps someone I don't see a problem.

Unclebuck
06-13-2007, 09:44 AM
I certainly don't think it is uncommon for NBA players to work out at other team's facilities in the offseason. In fact I hope Granger has been working out with Ron.

I cannot wait for someone "in the know" to put two and two together, maybe dig up a quote from Jim O'Brien from 3 or 4 years ago about how much Jim likes Ron's game. let the trade rumors fly.

Slick Pinkham
06-13-2007, 09:45 AM
:devil:

Sacramento Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Ron Artest
6-7 SF from St. John's
18.8 ppg, 6.5 rpg, 3.4 apg in 37.7 minutes

Incoming
Troy Murphy
6-11 PF from Notre Dame
10.3 ppg, 6.1 rpg, 1.9 apg in 27.2 minutes
Change in team outlook: -8.5 ppg, -0.4 rpg, and -1.5 apg.

Indiana Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Troy Murphy
6-11 PF from Notre Dame

Incoming
Ron Artest
6-7 SF from St. John's
Change in team outlook: +8.5 ppg, +0.4 rpg, and +1.5 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to Sacramento and Indiana being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Sacramento and Indiana had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Unclebuck
06-13-2007, 09:50 AM

Outgoing
Ron Artest
6-7 SF from St. John's

Incoming
Troy Murphy
6-11 PF from Notre Dame

Indiana Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Troy Murphy
6-11 PF from Notre Dame

Incoming
Ron Artest
6-7 SF from St. John's

Successful Scenario
Due to Sacramento and Indiana being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Sacramento and Indiana had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

You know something, and I fully realize I might not be let in the door at the next forum party for saying this, but I'd probably do that trade. Based solely on getting rid of Murphy and his contract of course

Evan_The_Dude
06-13-2007, 09:59 AM
I'm not even going to speculate because I think we know better.

Gyron
06-13-2007, 10:01 AM
I think there is an unwritten rule that the players can work out at each others facilities during the off season as a matter of courtesy to each others teams.

Evan_The_Dude
06-13-2007, 10:02 AM
You know something, and I fully realize I might not be let in the door at the next forum party for saying this, but I'd probably do that trade. Based solely on getting rid of Murphy and his contract of course

Me too... My reason is because I'd love to see what Harter could do with Artest the player (not Artest the psycho).

Ragnar
06-13-2007, 10:08 AM
There is certainly nothing out of the ordinary for a player from another team to be in our gym or one of our players to be in another teams gym. We all know Jeff works out in San Antonio all summer. It is a little odd that Ron would come here. He is not from Indiana and he demanded a trade from here. Jeff is from San Antonio and usually you see players working out near their home town.

Trader Joe
06-13-2007, 10:18 AM

I HATE Murphy with a firey all consuming and passion and here is what I think about that trade...(In smiley form of course...)

:censored::banghead::cry::dead::crazy::giveup: :puke::sadbanana:wtf::suicide::bananadea

I think that about covers it. The Pacers need to be getting a restraining order against Artest not bringing him back here.

Mourning
06-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Meh. I couldn't care less about this :).

edc
06-13-2007, 10:23 AM
I still miss Ron Artest.

If he comes back to the Pacers. I will be happy

I will trade Jermaine for Kevin Martin, Ron Artest, players to match salaries and draft pick

avoidingtheclowns
06-13-2007, 10:31 AM
I certainly don't think it is uncommon for NBA players to work out at other team's facilities in the offseason. In fact I hope Granger has been working out with Ron.

I cannot wait for someone "in the know" to put two and two together, maybe dig up a quote from Jim O'Brien from 3 or 4 years ago about how much Jim likes Ron's game. let the trade rumors fly.

way to go buck, you just gave kravitz his next column...

Anthem
06-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Trade Ron for Murray, then cut Ron?

Works for me.

Doug
06-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Trade Ron for Murray, then cut Ron?

Works for me.

Trade Ron for Murphy, then flip Ron to the Lakers as part of the JO->Bynum/LO/Brown/Farmer/#19 trade?

Works for me.

We shed more salary. LA gets Ron and JO. Kings get rid of Ron and get a solid, but way overpaid, player in return.

Probably doesn't work for the Kings, though.

MagicRat
06-13-2007, 10:57 AM
It is a little odd that Ron would come here. He is not from Indiana and he demanded a trade from here.

I think Ron demanded a trade from Rick Carlisle, not from Indiana.....

Trader Joe
06-13-2007, 11:03 AM
I think Ron demanded a trade from Rick Carlisle, not from Indiana.....

Ok thats true if I am remembering correctly. He said something to the effect of, "I'd love to come back to Indiana under different circumstances." or something like that. I also believe his kids still live here or at least that he thought they would when he was traded. However there is no way TPTB would take Ron back. Right? RIGHT? RIGHT????

Dr. Goldfoot
06-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Wouldn't that be funny. Ron did demand a trade from Rick & JO, not necessarily the Pacers. Ron was the leader of this team not JO. He then handed the keys to Jack who in turn handed them to Jamaal. I'd take Artest back in a heartbeat if JO was on his way out.

TheLemonSong
06-13-2007, 11:35 AM
I think this is really non-news...guys practice with each other in the off-season, and I don't see any reason why they wouldn't use the best gyms available to them. I don't think that former teammates hate Ron, and as was mentioned it wouldn't suprise me if he was working out with Granger which is a good thing.

That said, *IF* there is some type of trade it will be a threeway trade where we give up someone like Murphy, Foster, or another role player, get Ron Artest, and then trade Artest to some floundering team in exchange for a draft pick. We get some cap space to sign a free agent and we get a draft pick, some team gets some rebouding, and some team (like the Knicks maybe...hey, they're stupid) get's Ron Artest and the crazy idea that they can change him.

How about something like this:
We give up Murphy for Artest, then give up Artest for a 2nd round pick from Atlanta.
Atlanta gets the best defensive player and gets fans in the seats, Sacto gets a decent backup to injury prone Brad Miller and (more importantly) gets to give up Artest, and we get a pick in a loaded draft and some cap relief.

Hey, why not?

mildlysane
06-13-2007, 11:37 AM
Remember, Reggie said that Artest wasn't THE problem in the lockerroom. MAYBE, THAT problem is either gone or going and now they want "Ronnie" back.

bambam
06-13-2007, 11:37 AM
He didnt like playing 2nd fiddle to JO, and hated playing for Carlisle. I dont think there is anything to him at the Pacers facility. I am sure he still has a good enough relationship with Walsh and Bird that they allow him to use the facility. They dont hate the guy...they just dont want him on the roster.

Robobtowncolt
06-13-2007, 11:49 AM
:shudder:

31andonly
06-13-2007, 11:54 AM
I hate Ron, that's all I can say about all this stuff..

Please, stay where you are!

indygeezer
06-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Well, they did re-sign Dale Davis after he had demanded a trade. So anything is possible.

Funny thing, I could see the citizenry around here accepting Ron coming back more than Jackson coming back or Tinsley/JO staying.

Actually, I don't see the people accepting any of them wholeheartedly...but Ron more than the others.

avoidingtheclowns
06-13-2007, 12:07 PM
He didnt like playing 2nd fiddle to JO, and hated playing for Carlisle. I dont think there is anything to him at the Pacers facility. I am sure he still has a good enough relationship with Walsh and Bird that they allow him to use the facility. They dont hate the guy...they just dont want him on the roster.

i don't think they like the trade demand after they stood by him. they destroyed leverage for trading like kobe except kobe is a future hall of famer and ron artest was coming off a season-long suspension for causing the largest brawl in the history of the sport. donnie and larry should be ****ed if they're not.

ChicagoJ
06-13-2007, 12:15 PM
This thread took a frightening turn. How soon people forget.

All I was going to say was that every summer/ early fall in the nineties Chuck Person would work out with the Pacers players at NIFS or wherever else they went. And then he'd pack up right before training camp to whatever city he had been exiled to for that season.

In response to some of the wacky comments above: Ron is m e n t a l l y i l l. Why the :censored: would you want him back on the team? Do you want to see how much more damage he can do? That's sick AND twisted.

indygeezer
06-13-2007, 12:18 PM
This thread took a frightening turn. How soon people forget.

All I was going to say was that every summer/ early fall in the nineties Chuck Person would work out with the Pacers players at NIFS or wherever else they went. And then he'd pack up right before training camp to whatever city he had been exiled to for that season.

In response to some of the wacky comments above: Ron is m e n t a l l y i l l. Why the :censored: would you want him back on the team? Do you want to see how much more damage he can do? That's sick AND twisted.

For the record, I DID NOT say that I wanted him back.

RWB
06-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Funny thing, I could see the citizenry around here accepting Ron coming back more than Jackson coming back or Tinsley/JO staying.

Actually, I don't see the people accepting any of them wholeheartedly...but Ron more than the others.

Simply because people are already aware of Ron's emotional problems and that he should/has been on meds for it. Ronnie has a built in excuse of not being able to control his behavior while we assume others can.

ABADays
06-13-2007, 12:25 PM
In the spirit of the new Pacers slogan "Lowered Expectations" the Indiana franchise welcomed former Italian center/guard Ron Artesti to the fold with open arms. In a press release today, Larry Bird stated this was a slam-bang certain Euro signing. Conrad Brunner of Pacers.com said "no, this is not the Ron Artest that played with the Pacers - they don't even spell their names the same way". Indianapolis Star columnist Bob Kravitz cast a skeptical eye at the announcement. "Artesti huh? If it looks like Artest and acts like Artest - it's Artest. It seems as though the Pacers PTB think Hoosier memories expire after three years."

When questioned about why his client has been out of the game the past few years, agent Aint RappinNoMo stated Artesti had been working as a K9 nutrionist somewhere in Virginia.

grace
06-13-2007, 12:26 PM
The dude is a wack job and any team dumb enough to have him deserves all the trouble he brings.

Anthem
06-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Trade Ron for Murphy, then flip Ron to the Lakers as part of the JO->Bynum/LO/Brown/Farmer/#19 trade?

Works for me.
Oh, that's brutal.

NuffSaid
06-13-2007, 12:41 PM

This is ridiculous.

Is Carlisle keeping his office as well even though he isn't with the franchise anymore?:censored::censored::censored::censored:
I see your point, but relax, tough guy. It's no big deal. It's not like he's suiting up for the Pacers again.

Artest still has ties to the three cities mentioned - NY, Indy and Sac-Town. It shouldn't be a secret that he'd come to the Fieldhouse practice facility to workout or take in a scrimage game or whatever.

So, relax.

grace
06-13-2007, 12:44 PM
He probably lurks around here and realized that we weren't talking about him enough so he decided to shake things up by working out at Conseco. I wouldn't put it past him.

Shade
06-13-2007, 12:49 PM
I still miss Ron Artest.

If he comes back to the Pacers. I will be happy

I will trade Jermaine for Kevin Martin, Ron Artest, players to match salaries and draft pick

Oh, Dear Lord... :headache:

Even if you ignore Artest's problems, you would trade our franchise player to bring in TWO MORE SFs?!

Larry, is that you? :hmm:

indygeezer
06-13-2007, 12:51 PM
So, does he have a parking pass, use on-street parking, or ride the bus?

Shade
06-13-2007, 12:51 PM

Works for me.

We shed more salary. LA gets Ron and JO. Kings get rid of Ron and get a solid, but way overpaid, player in return.

Probably doesn't work for the Kings, though.

Why would the Kings want Brad Miller Jr. when they already have the real thing?

Evan_The_Dude
06-13-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm not thinking anything is going on more than just him working out at Conseco. But I do question exactly how much of a problem he would be under a coaching staff all known as disciplinarians. He'd definitely fit in the "get tough" category we seem to be going for.

Shade
06-13-2007, 12:57 PM
He probably lurks around here and realized that we weren't talking about him enough so he decided to shake things up by working out at Conseco. I wouldn't put it past him.

Maybe we'll get extra lucky and he'll show up at next month's forum party.

I could always use some more lip balm.

Shade
06-13-2007, 12:58 PM
So, does he have a parking pass, use on-street parking, or ride the bus?

Ron doesn't ride buses. He merely flexes for them.

hoopsforlife
06-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Wouldn't that be funny. Ron did demand a trade from Rick & JO, not necessarily the Pacers. Ron was the leader of this team not JO. He then handed the keys to Jack who in turn handed them to Jamaal. I'd take Artest back in a heartbeat if JO was on his way out.

Me too. I hope he comes back but he should should be signed with 6 month (week)? contracts

Evan_The_Dude
06-13-2007, 01:10 PM
I think there's a lot more fans here that feel sorry for Artest than there are that actually hate him. They could probably get away with bringing him back more than they could get away with bringing Stephen Jackson back, or adding Rasheed Wallace to the roster. But it still wouldn't work well. There'd be too many skeptical fans that wouldn't buy tickets just because he's back. It would take another major superstar coming to this team to be able to pull off reacquiring Artest.

CableKC
06-13-2007, 01:25 PM

Even if you ignore Artest's problems, you would trade our franchise player to bring in TWO MORE SFs?!

KMart isn't a SF....he's one of the better "up-and-coming" SGs in the league.

If there is a way to get him...I would get him......unless the price tag was Artest ( of course ).

Doug
06-13-2007, 01:42 PM
Why would the Kings want Brad Miller Jr. when they already have the real thing?

I don't think they would. I was just expanding from Anthem's post with a unlikely and possibly cruel scenario.

On the other hand, weirder things have happened.

edc
06-13-2007, 02:43 PM

Kevin Martin is a shooting guard......

Sacramento got the 10 pick.

Jermaine for Kevin Martin, Ron Artest, players to match salaries and draft pick(10thpick)

I hope Artest is behave now.

idioteque
06-13-2007, 03:32 PM
I see your point, but relax, tough guy. It's no big deal. It's not like he's suiting up for the Pacers again.

Artest still has ties to the three cities mentioned - NY, Indy and Sac-Town. It shouldn't be a secret that he'd come to the Fieldhouse practice facility to workout or take in a scrimage game or whatever.

So, relax.

Artest is nuts. I just don't want him to be associated with the franchise in any way. This isn't a race/thug/whatever issue that often becomes the case on Pacer message boards, this is simply an Artest issue. The guy is mentally ill and I wish he wasn't working out and spending time with our players. However guys like Granger are grown men and I'm sure they take the good with the bad when it comes to Artest. At least I hope so. All I'm saying is that I'm not a huge fan of psycho working out with our team.

That being said, I'd actually consider the Artest for Murphy deal. For one thing, we're not going to win anything next year anyway and it's a good way to shed salary. If I'm not mistaken there is a team option on Artest's contract next year and we could just not exercise it and let him go. Maybe he'll average 16 a game or something next year, we'll take it, be done with it, and continue to rebuild.

The fact that Artest thinks that he can lead a championship contender team says volumes about how crazy this guy is. He averages around 16-20 a game and is a good defensive stopper. That's great, but he's no superstar. I think everyone besides Ron realizes that.

Yes, I know that was the biggest contradiction of all time, but whatever. :happydanc

avoidingtheclowns
06-13-2007, 03:43 PM
i think its a player option, not a team option.

edc
06-13-2007, 03:46 PM
I think Artest can guard Lebron one on one.

Unclebuck
06-13-2007, 04:13 PM
Next awards season, I'm nominating this thread for thread of the year.

Doug
06-13-2007, 04:16 PM

It was evil of you to start it, you know.

Very evil.

:-)

MagicRat
06-13-2007, 04:26 PM

That's why you're Dat Dude. Or at least why you guys are two peas in a pod......

Lord Helmet
06-13-2007, 04:58 PM
:shudder: at this thread.

Ron can work out at our facility, I don't care, just no causing trouble, and no one is allowed to even think about trading back for him. Those are the rules.

:)

aero
06-13-2007, 05:48 PM
id do it...i wont say what but you know what im saying ;) Id do it.

obnoxiousmodesty
06-13-2007, 05:56 PM
:shudder: at this thread.

Ron can work out at our facility, I don't care, just no causing trouble, and no one is allowed to even think about trading back for him. Those are the rules.

:)
Seconded. The motion carries.

Gamble1
06-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Trade Ron for Murphy, then flip Ron to the Lakers as part of the JO->Bynum/LO/Brown/Farmer/#19 trade?.

All i have to say is just make sure you set the timer for after the all-star break so it doesn't look suspicious.

The real reason Roni is back is to restock his number 1 fan with more Tru Warrior lip balm and CD costers for the up and coming Pacers Party. Thanks UB for moist lips and good music.

OnlyPacersLeft
06-13-2007, 10:37 PM

Outgoing
Ron Artest
6-7 SF from St. John's

Incoming
Troy Murphy
6-11 PF from Notre Dame

Indiana Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Troy Murphy
6-11 PF from Notre Dame

Incoming
Ron Artest
6-7 SF from St. John's

Successful Scenario

ahahhah
DEAL! lol

gilpdawg
06-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Ron doesn't ride buses. He merely flexes for them.
You win the thread. I had forgotten all about the bus flexing incident.

Naptown_Seth
06-14-2007, 03:04 AM
I can't say I disagree, but I don't think I can go along either. Forget the dog thing since he might not have been the one that created that sitution. The fight with the wife isn't good, but in relationships tempers do flare on both sides sometimes (heck, the show Cops exists almost completely because of this).

What worries me instead is his continued bad attitude regarding his role with the team. He hasn't stopped being selfish about shooting and his role in the offense. He complained, he acted up in games a bit, and in general had a shot selection that would make you pine for Jackson.

He's not super crazy (I don't think), but he's not just misunderstood either.

I know RC is gone and I totally agree that perhaps with no history behind it this might be a good way to move our contract baggage for someone else's attitude baggage, but in this case I think it would backfire big time.

I would describe it as "almost a good idea", which still means bad idea (but with solid logic behind most of it). :)

Naptown_Seth
06-14-2007, 03:09 AM

Hey, isn't Grant Hill on the market? Is Larry secretly building his own version of the Quick? Perhaps to spite Zeke one last time?

Evan_The_Dude
06-14-2007, 10:22 AM
If we got Artest back, I don't think Carlisle would ever speak to Bird again. That would be such a slap in the face...

Shade
06-14-2007, 11:29 AM
I think this thread pretty much proves how short some peoples' memories are.

ChicagoJ
06-14-2007, 11:39 AM

And that's where you are 100% wrong.

What part of b ! p 0 l @ r - d ! $ 0 r d e r do you not understand? Especially the part about ultrarapid cycling? I do feel sorry for the guy, but I'm not convinced that even if he's on his medications that he could ever become a guy that teammates could rely on to show up on a dialy basis without brining a bunch of baggage from either the manic state, depressive state, or just the uncertainty of which state he'll be in each day.

Its just not fair to the rest of the team. Maybe if they brought him back to be the 12th man and it just didn't matter to the team how he was doing (think: Carlos Rodgers) then it could work. But not if he's got to be a dependable part of the rotation.

grace
06-14-2007, 11:44 AM
If we got Artest back, I don't think Carlisle would ever speak to Bird again. That would be such a slap in the face...

If we got Artest back the minute he did something stupid (like he always does) 95% of the fan base will go PFFL and run Larry out of town on a rail.

Shade
06-14-2007, 11:44 AM
KMart isn't a SF....he's one of the better "up-and-coming" SGs in the league.

If there is a way to get him...I would get him......unless the price tag was Artest ( of course ).

IIRC, Martin was backing up Ron at the 3 until he proved he was too good to be a bench player.

Shade
06-14-2007, 11:46 AM
If we got Artest back the minute he did something stupid (like he always does) 95% of the fan base will go PFFL and run Larry out of town on a rail.

Hell, if we get Ron back, we may as well trade the Bulls JO for Ben Wallace. Then Kobe gets to join JO in Chicago, and we get to watch a franchise literally implode in front of our eyes.

Slick Pinkham
06-14-2007, 12:45 PM
It was evil of you to start it, you know.

Very evil.

:-)

It didn't really get evil until I posted the Ron-for-Murph trade from real gm. Of course I knew it was evil and used the devil smiley.

I never thought anyone would seriously have any response ever than laughing or crying at the mere thought of Ron in blue and gold.

:stirthepo

Unclebuck
06-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Ron is super crazy - I still love him though - but he's crazy

MagicRat
06-14-2007, 02:53 PM
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/ronbomb.gif

Naptown_Seth
06-14-2007, 03:25 PM
Especially the part about ultrarapid cycling? I know it can get you a date with Sheryl Crow.

I think the disconnect is where you and I draw the line for "super crazy" (medical term btw). That doesn't mean not in need of meds necessarily, it just means that it's not ALL about just meds and things that normal people don't deal with.

He's also selfish (normal) and not the sharpest tack around (normal). Those factor in as well into his choices. In fact I'm LESS sympathetic because of those issues than because he apparently has a chemically treatable mental health problem.

Rat, that should be on a T-Shirt, seriously. That's money in the bank there.

It didn't really get evil until I posted the Ron-for-Murph trade from real gm. Of course I knew it was evil and used the devil smiley.

I never thought anyone would seriously have any response ever than laughing or crying at the mere thought of Ron in blue and gold.

:stirthepo
You've underestimated how much some of us don't want Troy on the roster (due to defense, rebounding softness and cost).

Yet another good reason to do this. Are you guys trying to convince me or what? :D

TripleThreat
06-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Rat, that should be on a T-Shirt, seriously. That's money in the bank there.

I'll buy one!!!

MagicRat
06-14-2007, 03:37 PM
Sadly, that picture made it's first appearance on PD 11/12/2004.

Somebody had a whole week to extinguish that fuse before he subloded.....

Robobtowncolt
06-14-2007, 03:42 PM
I'll buy one!!!

We should all buy one. It's up to us.

NuffSaid
06-14-2007, 04:00 PM
I can't say I disagree, but I don't think I can go along either. Forget the dog thing since he might not have been the one that created that sitution. The fight with the wife isn't good, but in relationships tempers do flare on both sides sometimes (heck, the show Cops exists almost completely because of this).

What worries me instead is his continued bad attitude regarding his role with the team. He hasn't stopped being selfish about shooting and his role in the offense. He complained, he acted up in games a bit, and in general had a shot selection that would make you pine for Jackson.

I know RC is gone and I totally agree that perhaps with no history behind it this might be a good way to move our contract baggage for someone else's attitude baggage, but in this case I think it would backfire big time.

I would describe it as "almost a good idea", which still means bad idea (but with solid logic behind most of it). :)
Okay, voice of reason here.

I like Naptown's post because it rationalizes the emotion many of us still feel towards Ron Artest, the only truely consistant offensive player and defender this team has ever had (or atleast in all the 16+ yrs I've been a Pacers fan), while also putting certain things in perspective. Still, I gotta add my 2-cents worth here.

Yes, Ron can practice @ the Fieldhouse. It's not uncommon for players to leapfrong from one facility to the next. Again, I'll remind folks that Artest still has ties to NY, Sac-Town and Indy. So, it's doesn't surprise me at all that there's been an Artest sighting @ the Fieldhouse let alone in Indy. As to bringing him back, for EVERYONE who shares this view, I've got one question for you:

ARE YOU FREAKING NUTS????

C'mon, people. This is the same Ron Artest who started the brawl. The same Ron Artest who committed so many flagrant fouls in a single season. The same Ron Artest who damaged equipment. The same Ron Artest who demanded to be traded. Now, let's talk about that, but this time from the "player-coach relationship" angle.

I said it when the news first broke that Ron's trade demand probably had more to do with his displeasure w/RC than anything else, and at the time felt (and still do) that the matter could have been resolved internally. This notewithstanding, what I learned after the fact was how problematic he was during practice sessions. I felt then as I do now that Ron was simply being a big *****. IMO, he couldn't take RC or anyone else riding him that he had alot to make up for, and he was being held to task for it. Still, enough is enough!

It got to a point where the Pacers had to part ways with this guy if only because his psycho behavior was too much for everyone concerned to handle - from his teammates, no matter how much they liked or respected him, to the coaching staff to management. HE HAD TO GO! because he became too much of a distraction within the locker room AND within the organization.

Now, if we could be assured that Ron Artest, the player, can keep his explosive emotions in check AND he showed attrition for his past actions, I might...MIGHT... be willing to welcome him back. But he hasn't, and he won't! No matter how skilled this guy is, no matter how 2-dimensional his game, he remains too big a risk.

No way do you welcome this guy back, not when the team is finally starting to recover from the very chaos HE created! No! Let him practice all he wants (as long as no studio cameras are around :p ), but you don't put him back on your roster, not now...and possibly not ever.

ChicagoJ
06-14-2007, 04:09 PM
I know it can get you a date with Sheryl Crow.

That's funny.

I think the disconnect is where you and I draw the line for "super crazy" (medical term btw). That doesn't mean not in need of meds necessarily, it just means that it's not ALL about just meds and things that normal people don't deal with.

He's also selfish (normal) and not the sharpest tack around (normal). Those factor in as well into his choices. In fact I'm LESS sympathetic because of those issues than because he apparently has a chemically treatable mental health problem.

Until he proves willing to take his medicines, long-term, its not treatable.

Its easy to see why his teammates may embrace him for a short honeymoon but begin to hate him very quickly. And that isn't Ron's fault. Its the GM's fault for putting him on the team.

Please remember that everything I say about Ron is not Ron's fault. I don't blame Ron for most of his actions (the brawl notwithstanding because it appeard for the first 90-120 seconds that Ron was surprisingly under control and then he snapped.) Rather, its Donnie's fault - later compounded by Bird - to subject the entire team to this chemistry-expiriment-gone-haywire.

If every remaining Bulls season ticket holder had heard from Jerry Krause about why the Bulls were shopping Artest, then surely Donnie had to know. I remember going to a suite at the UC while the rumors were hot shortly before the trade and when the lawyers there learned I was a Pacers fan those guys had a bazillion stories to tell me.

MagicRat
06-14-2007, 04:21 PM
http://chaos.able-towers.com/~magicrat/modelcitizen.jpg

TripleThreat
06-14-2007, 04:24 PM
http://chaos.able-towers.com/~magicrat/modelcitizen.jpg
i was walking through the airport in Dallas when I saw this on the newsstand...I bought it just to read that article. Amazing how his mind works (or doesn't, depending on how you look at it...)

NuffSaid
06-14-2007, 04:40 PM
All the more reason NOT to take this guy back. Anyone who thinks otherwise...

Well, I know a good doctor who specializes in shock therapy. :D

grace
06-14-2007, 05:09 PM
He was a model citizen if the civilization was Purgatory.

Anthem
06-14-2007, 05:22 PM
For Murphy? I'd take him back in an instant.

But he'd never put on the uniform again. I'd either trade him for peanuts or cut him. It would still be cheaper than cutting Murphy.

speakout4
06-14-2007, 06:47 PM
If someone said this I'm sorry to repeat it but all team facilities are very likely open to all nba players for the simple reason that no team wants their own players unable to work out wherever they go for the summer. No one is seriously thinking about bringing Ron back.

This team is about to rid itself of all players on the team at the time of the brawl with the possible exception of Foster. It will take about two years and both Tinsley and JO will be gone.

Lord Helmet
06-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Some of you are breaking the rules. No even thinking of trading for Ron.

I hate even typing that last sentence.

grace
06-14-2007, 09:01 PM
For Murphy? I'd take him back in an instant.

But he'd never put on the uniform again. I'd either trade him for peanuts or cut him. It would still be cheaper than cutting Murphy.

I understand what you're saying, but that's just way too much bad karma.

Note to mods: we need an anti-hex smilie.

MagicRat
06-14-2007, 10:19 PM
Time to rummage further through the Ron-Ron archives:

Ron pimps btown.......
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/ronbtown.jpg

UB's Ron-colored glasses.....
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/roncoloredglasses.jpg

Ron and David take out a crew of zebras.......
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/rondh.jpg

http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/rondh2.jpg

Ron with his Dopey award.....
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/RonDopey.jpg

Ron Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.....
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/ronflewoverthecuckoosnest.jpg

Ronfucius......
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/ronfucius.jpg

Half full or half empty?......
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/ronglass.jpg

Ronibal Lector........
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/ronniballector.jpg

Ron put on a little weight during his suspension......
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/ronniefat2.jpg

Ronnie Wan Kenobi......
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/ronniewan.jpg

Ronnie Pan.......
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/ronpan.jpg

Ron unimpressed......
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/RonUnimpressed.jpg

Ron getting an earful......
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/ronwife.jpg

Jason Artest.......
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/ArtestJasonFinal.jpg

Artest or a basket of muffins?.......
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/artestmuffins2.gif

UB's reaction to the trade.....
http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/ubandson.jpg

btowncolt
06-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Okay, this whole thread was worth it just to get those pictures again.

I'm still better than a plastic cup, too.

Trader Joe
06-14-2007, 11:25 PM
:lol:

indyman37
06-14-2007, 11:30 PM
There was a SLAM magazine cover with Artest wearing a "Free Ron Artest" shirt and there was a thing where you could try to win the shirt with his signature on it. You had to like write a rap with only 250 words explaining why Ron was innocent...

But I've been trying to sell his #23 jersey for a while now. If he's still there when I go next week, I'm gonna see if he'll sign it. Then maybe someone will buy it.

Naptown_Seth
06-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Jay, just to make sure it's clear, you do realize even my initial post said "no thanks" in regards to the trade.

I was just saying that I think some of the expectations with his "craziness" are blown out of proportion. It's like a problem isn't enough if it's only a 7 on the scale to 10. Everything has to be 11+.

Just like you got upset about my too harsh view of Dun's contract, which I backed off of somewhat because of your points, I get the same way about the cartoonish view of Ron and Jack.

Neither has to be a caricature in order to be a bad fit, or at least possibly worth trading (ie, Jackson). That was my point initially here. Ron could be on meds, could be at peace with his home life, could avoid flagrants the rest of his life, I'm honestly not that worried about that stuff.

What I'm worried about is his desire to become a Kobe-level star which in his words appears to require him being a Kobe-level focal point of the offense. That's why he wanted out of Indy, that's what he kept mentioning even in Sacto.

To me that supercedes the rest of it because that's bottom line, on the court caliber problems. If he was willing to do "what it takes to win" within the team scheme then I'd be happy to let him say goofy crap on the Today show and give bizarre interviews in ESPN the Mag about how he wants to fight Melo and is building his own cage octagon in his back yard.

But that's not how it would go. He'd still want to dominate the ball, would still be frustrated about his role on the team, and probably flip-flop on what exactly he did want from the team/coach. One day he'd be playing great, next day he'd be throwing up a 3 without looking at the rim because he "doesn't understand his role".

In other words, I think people are too spun up about the wrong things. It's like magic misdirection, and god help anyone if he "fixes" his image because he'll use that slight of hand to still come in and disrupt the team flow with his on-court philosophy.

ABADays
06-15-2007, 12:24 PM
What I'm worried about is his desire to become a Kobe-level star which in his words appears to require him being a Kobe-level focal point of the offense. That's why he wanted out of Indy, that's what he kept mentioning even in Sacto.

That's a good observation. Instead of trying to be the best Artest he can be he wants to be someone else.

ChicagoJ
06-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Jay, just to make sure it's clear, you do realize even my initial post said "no thanks" in regards to the trade.

I was only addressing your head-in-the-sand "He's not super crazy (I don't think)" comment. That's why that was the only part I quoted.

I was just saying that I think some of the expectations with his "craziness" are blown out of proportion. It's like a problem isn't enough if it's only a 7 on the scale to 10. Everything has to be 11+.

No. On a good day, he's only an 11 on the Richter scale.

Naptown_Seth
06-15-2007, 04:56 PM
I was only addressing your head-in-the-sand "He's not super crazy (I don't think)" comment. That's why that was the only part I quoted.

No. On a good day, he's only an 11 on the Richter scale.
Well it makes me ill to have to utter these craptastic words but...

agree to disagree. :)

He ain't coming back, we don't want him back, so really there is no problem. Neither of us would trust him to watch our house or kids or even make us an omelet.

carpediem024
06-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Maybe he's not done trying to promote his album with his TW chapsticks.

Anthem
06-15-2007, 05:52 PM
You know what would work? Murphy to the Kings for Ron, who goes to LA in a Lakers trade.

The Lakers would get Jermaine and Ron for Kwame, Odom, and Bynum.

ChicagoJ
06-15-2007, 05:59 PM
You know what would work? Murphy to the Kings for Ron, who goes to LA in a Lakers trade.

The Lakers would get Jermaine and Ron for Kwame, Odom, and Bynum.

:king:

Hicks
06-15-2007, 11:02 PM
I agree; bravo Anthem.

Naptown_Seth
06-16-2007, 07:52 AM
I agree; bravo Anthem.
It won't be a 3-way deal.

DaSmash has spoken.

;)