PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone want Marion?

indyman37
06-12-2007, 11:36 AM
I know they are just rumors, but is anyone interested in getting Shawne Marion? I'm not sure what exactly it would take. But I would like to see if we could get him after a LA trade happens. We probably wouldn't have enough pieces to do anything, but I was thinking maybe including Lamar Odom. Odom's and Marion's contracts are almost exactly alike and they can even be traded for heads up. But I was wondering if any of you would like to have Marion on the team, realistically?

Trader Joe
06-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Suns are only going to trade Marion for massive salary relief over the next two seasons. Something we cannot offer.

Slick Pinkham
06-12-2007, 11:47 AM
yep, they want ending contracts and possibly draft picks.

ouch & ouch

avoidingtheclowns
06-12-2007, 11:48 AM
marion would provide defense (he can guard all 5 positions) and 3pt shooting, probably more of a #1 option that pacers fans would want. the only problem is that marion can opt out of his second year and while i think people would be okay with odom walking away, i think they'd have a tougher time letting marion walk. which then puts you in a problem if you haven't moved murphy or dunleavy at that point.

personally, i'd be okay with marion or AK-47 if we could solve our murphy and dunleavy contract problem

Young
06-12-2007, 12:28 PM
Suns are only going to trade Marion for massive salary relief over the next two seasons. Something we cannot offer.

Right on.

I think that they might be undervaluing what Marion does for them, I think he is nearly as important as Steve Nash for them.

But hey it's business.

Say they get the 5th pick from the Celtics then they could draft Corey Brewer or Julian Wright there.

Then there is the Bulls. A deal like Nocioni (s&t), P.J. Brown (s&t to a nonguaranteed contract just for salary purposes), Viktor Khryana, 9th pick, plus a future 1rst would be a decent deal for the Suns. I don't see the Bulls giving up Tyrus Thomas or Luol Deng and I can't see the Suns wanting Ben Gordon with Barbosa fairly similar as a combo guard.

The Pacers are not a team that would make a good trading partner with the Suns for Marion.

Will Galen
06-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Right on.

I think that they might be undervaluing what Marion does for them, I think he is nearly as important as Steve Nash for them.

But hey it's business.

Say they get the 5th pick from the Celtics then they could draft Corey Brewer or Julian Wright there.

Then there is the Bulls. A deal like Nocioni (s&t), P.J. Brown (s&t to a nonguaranteed contract just for salary purposes), Viktor Khryana, 9th pick, plus a future 1rst would be a decent deal for the Suns. I don't see the Bulls giving up Tyrus Thomas or Luol Deng and I can't see the Suns wanting Ben Gordon with Barbosa fairly similar as a combo guard.

The Pacers are not a team that would make a good trading partner with the Suns for Marion.

Why would PJ Brown sign a deal that wouldn't be honored?

As for the Pacers trading with the Suns, I looked at possible trades this morning trying to come up with something that would give the Suns some salary relief. I come up with one I like, and the Pacers would do, but the Suns wouldn't touch. JO, Tins, and Granger, for Amare, Marion, and Banks. It gives the Suns $6 million in relief.

The way I look at it;
JO = Amare
Tins is better than Banks for the Suns system.
Marion is better than Granger, but he is an up and comer, and the Suns get the $6 million relief.

NOTE; This wouldn't be possible until the new season starts.

Young
06-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Why would PJ Brown sign a deal that wouldn't be honored?

He may retire anyways, it may be a non guaranteed contract but i'm sure they could give him a little something to make it worth for him.

FlavaDave
06-12-2007, 01:20 PM
What about Danny Granger, Kwame Brown, and Jeff Foster for Marion?

Just putting that out there, not sure if I would do it.

It is worth noting that Marion LOVES Reggie Miller (so much so that he still wears #31).

Evan_The_Dude
06-12-2007, 02:05 PM
Granger, Brown, and Foster for Marion? I don't like Marion that much I guess. I hope he likes wearing #31 in Phoenix, because he sure won't be wearing it in Indiana. But for that deal, Phoenix can keep him or look at another team. That would prevent me from changing the channel when he shoots too.

Kstat
06-12-2007, 02:11 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns//articles/0611suns0612-ON.html?&wired

Marion trade rumors resurface Celtics, Pistons are the top teams in swap scenarios

Paul Coro The Arizona Republic Jun. 11, 2007 10:16 PM Just like the Valley heat, Shawn Marion trade rumors again are prevalent before the official start of summer.

One scenario has the Boston Celtics acquiring Marion in a trade that would give the Suns the fifth overall pick in the June 28 NBA draft, center-forward Theo Ratliff (whose contract expires after next season and would provide $11.7 million in salary cap space) and guard Delonte West.

A league source confirmed Celtics coach Doc Rivers' interest in Marion, and Danny Ainge, the Celtics' executive director of basketball operations, has been a fan of the forward since being his first Suns coach.

The Suns' interest in such a deal is unknown.

Coach Mike D'Antoni has said the Suns would not execute any move that did not make them a better team, and it is unlikely that a rookie, Ratliff and West would offset the loss of Marion.

However, the Suns could pursue an affordable free agent such as Orlando Magic swingman Grant Hill to make up for that sort of dynamic in a Marion deal.

A trade is being considered because Marion, 29, will make $34.25 million over the next two seasons.

Hill had a relatively healthy 2005-06 season and averaged 14.4 points on 52 percent shooting. He could retire (he already works as an ABC playoff analyst) but might want a shot at a title if his role were substantial.

Hill just finished a seven-year, $92 million deal, so money might not be a big factor for Hill, who has never won a playoff series.

Marion's name also has surfaced in trade rumors with the Detroit Pistons, who would send forward-center Rasheed Wallace to Phoenix.

This idea would be conflicting for Phoenix.

Wallace's skills are a good fit, but his on-court behavior contrasts with the club's emphasis on character.

Wallace, 32, is an ideal basketball piece, because he shoots and runs well at 6 feet 11 and keeps the floor spread (as Tim Thomas did with the Suns in 2006), is a top post defender (which would help Amaré Stoudemire), has been a popular teammate at each stop and played for Portland when D'Antoni was an assistant coach there in 2000-01.

But even if the Suns were ready to make that deal, would the Pistons be willing? Marion is a small forward, the same position played by Detroit's Tayshaun Prince, but could be asked to play power forward to make the Pistons more athletic.

Wallace will make about $3.65 million less that Marion in 2007-08 and has a deal that expires in 2009.

Marion, an All-Star four of the past five seasons, has been put off in the past when Phoenix has considered trading him.

On the day of the team's final meeting last month, Marion knew the rumors again would surface.

"This is a business, so I don't know what will happen," he said.

Evan_The_Dude
06-12-2007, 02:19 PM
That deal makes much more sense to happen with Detroit than it does with Boston. Wallace could really help Phoenix get over the hump, and Marion would be a good fit in Detroits offensive and Defensive systems.

Kstat
06-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Yeah, but we'd obviously have to make more deals to help the frontcourt, unless Joakim Noah or Spencer Hawes falls into our lap in the draft.

Shade
06-13-2007, 01:13 PM
That deal makes much more sense to happen with Detroit than it does with Boston. Wallace could really help Phoenix get over the hump, and Marion would be a good fit in Detroits offensive and Defensive systems.

I disagree. The Celtics trade is MUCH better for Phoenix than the Pistons one. Not even close, IMO.

Shade
06-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Yeah, but we'd obviously have to make more deals to help the frontcourt, unless Joakim Noah or Spencer Hawes falls into our lap in the draft.

It would only be fitting that my least favorite player in this draft ends up in Motown.

Shade
06-13-2007, 01:19 PM
As for Marion, I've always felt his defense was overrated, and his shooting mechanics make me cry in my sleep.

Young
06-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Wow, can you guys imange the Pistons with Marion on them?

Billups/Hamilton in the backcourt with a Prince/Marion forward tandem? Pretty nice.

Evan_The_Dude
06-13-2007, 01:23 PM
I disagree. The Celtics trade is MUCH better for Phoenix than the Pistons one. Not even close, IMO.

And I disagree. Reason: When you're a team that's as close as the Suns are to winning the NBA Championship, you don't take a step back and trade a key guy for a draft pick and a player to be determined a year later. You look to add a piece to the puzzle that has experience and can help you get over the hump. Rasheed helps now. The draft pick needs time, as does Theo Ratliff's contract.

diamonddave00
06-13-2007, 01:24 PM
If you sign a vet like P. J. Brown for a sign and trade it must be a 3 year contract , but only the 1st year must be guaranteed.

When the Pacers acquired Darrell Armstrong , he signed a 3 year contract to come here but only last season was guaranteed.

avoidingtheclowns
06-13-2007, 01:28 PM
And I disagree. Reason: When you're a team that's as close as the Suns are to winning the NBA Championship, you don't take a step back and trade a key guy for a draft pick and a player to be determined a year later. You look to add a piece to the puzzle that has experience and can help you get over the hump. Rasheed helps now. The draft pick needs time, as does Theo Ratliff's contract.

but they're also looking to get rid of salary. might as well just keep marion if the other option is wallace (marion can opt out after this season). it only frees them of 3mil.

Slick Pinkham
06-13-2007, 01:35 PM
A high class organization like the Suns will never trade for a classless character like Rasheed.

Evan_The_Dude
06-13-2007, 01:36 PM
but they're also looking to get rid of salary. might as well just keep marion if the other option is wallace (marion can opt out after this season). it only frees them of 3mil.

If it's only about the money then they do the Boston deal. If it's about getting that last piece, they do a Detroit deal. The Detroit deal makes a lot more sense for both sides. I don't see why Boston would want to rid themselves of an expiring contract, a lottery pick, and Delonte West for somebody that won't help their struggling franchise all that much. They're already in the youth movement and have some good prospects, I don't see what Marion does for them.

avoidingtheclowns
06-13-2007, 01:49 PM
If it's only about the money then they do the Boston deal. If it's about getting that last piece, they do a Detroit deal. The Detroit deal makes a lot more sense for both sides. I don't see why Boston would want to rid themselves of an expiring contract, a lottery pick, and Delonte West for somebody that won't help their struggling franchise all that much. They're already in the youth movement and have some good prospects, I don't see what Marion does for them.

because they don't need more youth, they need vets to play with pierce or they're going to waste away his last productive years (ala kobe in LA, JO here). its the same reason they've been mentioned as possibly interested in odom or JO. they give up a draft pick they give up yet another project player. its taken a couple of years for jefferson to start living up to expectations - they don't need to keep waiting on others. they have rondo in west's position so they've got some depth. they have green/ray/allen developing at SG, Jefferson/perkins/powe/gomes developing in the frontcourt. they need another vet to play with pierce. it makes perfect sense to me. were they to draft oden or durant? not worth giving up the pick... drafting horford, wright or yi? doesn't help them fast enough. you add marion to pierce and jefferson and suddenly you're in the middle of the East playoffs again.