PDA

View Full Version : Jim Rome almost beat up

Moses
06-11-2007, 04:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

I just found this on some other sports forums that I browse and had to share it with you guys...since pretty much everyone who has any knowledge about sports knows Jim Rome is a complete idiot.

Shade
06-11-2007, 04:26 PM
That...was...AWESOME!!! :lmao:

Roaming Gnome
06-11-2007, 04:27 PM
That is still "classic" after all these years. My dad actually seen that live back in the day when we just got ESPN2. Pops came running up stairs hollering some dude just got slugged on the TV. Before, nothing like that ever really happened on the tube.

As for your blanket statement, "everyone who has any knowledge about sports knows Jim Rome is a complete idiot"....Well, making blanket statements like that doesn't do too much in presenting your own IQ!

For being a complete idiot, I think he is doing pretty good. Like Bill Walton, you can't take everything that he says as gospel and reallize that most of his schtick is for "entertainment purposes only". Anyway, acording to moses, I must not know anything about sports.

Robobtowncolt
06-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Hadn't seen that in a while, good stuff.

Shade
06-11-2007, 04:31 PM
I had never seen that before at all. Can't believe that flew under my radar for so damn long.

31andonly
06-11-2007, 04:31 PM
As a non-american I don't know Jim Rome.. Who's that and who's the other guy?

Moses
06-11-2007, 04:32 PM
That is still "classic" after all these years and I do like listening to Jim Rome!

As for your blanket statement, "everyone who has any knowledge about sports knows Jim Rome is a complete idiot"....Well, making blanket statements like that doesn't do too much in presenting your own IQ!

For being a complete idiot, I think he is doing pretty good.
I guess a complete idiot would be the wrong thing to say about him seeing as how he has his own show now. (who watches it anyways?) He's an arrogant jerk who thinks he's more important than the athletes hes interviewing (he's not).

FlavaDave
06-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Is this the Jim/Chris Everett thing? I can't watch at work.

Pacersfan46
06-11-2007, 04:34 PM
As a non-american I don't know Jim Rome.. Who's that and who's the other guy?

Jim Rome is just a guy who talks about sports on ESPN here.

Jim Everett is a former NFL QB. And Rome keeps calling him "Chris Everett", and if I recall correct that is a female tennis player. I haven't seen or thought about this in a long time, but that's what I remember from it. Someone correct me if I"m wrong.

-- Steve --

Shade
06-11-2007, 04:34 PM
I guess a complete idiot would be the wrong thing to say about him seeing as how he has his own show now. (who watches it anyways?) He's an arrogant jerk who thinks he's more important then the athletes hes interviewing (he's not).

Now that is something I think most of us can agree on.

Shade
06-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Jim Rome is just a guy who talks about sports on ESPN here.

Jim Everett is a former NFL QB. And Rome keeps calling him "Chris Everett", and if I recall correct that is a female tennis player. I haven't seen or thought about this in a long time, but that's what I remember from it. Someone correct me if I"m wrong.

-- Steve --

Yeah, apparently there was a female tennis player named Chris Everet at the time, and the reference was meant to be a putdown.

Rome was completely in the wrong, and has always been an arrogant ***, but you do have to admire his refusal to back down. Alas, there's a thin line between bravery and stupidity...

sig
06-11-2007, 04:51 PM
I feel old reading this thread. Hard to believe that people don't remember or know who Chris Evert is. Either that or no-one watches tennis.

avoidingtheclowns
06-11-2007, 04:52 PM
I feel old reading this thread. Hard to believe that people don't remember or know who Chris Evert is. Either that or no-one watches tennis.

well i'm 23 and i was stunned people didn't know who that was.

Naptown_Seth
06-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Let me guess without reading, it's Chrissy Everett, back when Jim was a real jerk as an interviewer. Amazingly now interviewing is the one thing he seems to do very well, it's hard to imagine him goading a guest like this anymore.

edit - yep :)

Ditto. This is not something I would consider vague or off the radar. Evert was a tennis superstar.

Shade
06-11-2007, 04:58 PM

This would be the category I fall into.

FlavaDave
06-11-2007, 05:05 PM
well i'm 23 and i was stunned people didn't know who that was.

Yeah, me too.

Kegboy
06-11-2007, 05:11 PM
I can't believe there are people over 25 who don't know about this. It's the first time I even heard of Rome, which is probably why I've always thought of him as a no-talent ***-clown.

avoidingtheclowns
06-11-2007, 05:19 PM
I can't believe there are people over 25 who don't know about this. It's the first time I even heard of Rome, which is probably why I've always thought of him as a no-talent ***-clown.
im sure you would have come to the same conclusion had you just watched his show first

Isaac
06-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Jim Rome a genius at marketing himself. Ever since that incident his career soared.

I respect the hell out of him.

CableKC
06-11-2007, 05:24 PM
Let me guess without reading, it's Chrissy Everett, back when Jim was a real jerk as an interviewer. Amazingly now interviewing is the one thing he seems to do very well, it's hard to imagine him goading a guest like this anymore.

edit - yep :)

Ditto. This is not something I would consider vague or off the radar. Evert was a tennis superstar.
I wouldn't put it beyond Rome to do this to a guest that is smaller then him.....but I doubt that he would do it again to a guest that is bigger then him.

Young
06-11-2007, 05:31 PM
ignore

Shade
06-11-2007, 05:34 PM

I didn't have cable TV for many, many years.

Unclebuck
06-11-2007, 05:44 PM
I agree with you Kegboy - some of you are either really young or you were living under a rock

I'm getting really old, and some of you are really young. That video was big, big news when it occurred. Rome was actually a much bigger jerk back then, he's really cleaned up his ways

sig
06-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Tennis is probably my 2nd favorite sport to basketball especially since the new Ana has burst onto the scene.

http://www.juiceplus.ch/anaivanovic/index.php?gid=media/gallery/photoshoot_2004&pic=9

ABADays
06-11-2007, 05:51 PM

That was my EXACT reaction. Yes Shade, there was a Chris Evert. Holder of innumerable tennis titles.

As for Rome, why the hell doesn't he just speak English. An average sports fan just turning in wouldn't have a freaking clue what he was talking about. Clones - sheesh :rolleyes: !

Bball
06-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Wow... I can't believe Chris Everret has been forgotten or faded so far away from the public eye. :geezer:

This was big news back in the day, what I don't know is exactly WHY Rome did it?

-Bball

Sollozzo
06-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Wow... I can't believe Chris Everret has been forgotten or faded so far away from the public eye. :geezer:

This was big news back in the day, what I don't know is exactly WHY Rome did it?

-Bball

Simple. To get publicity and attention.

FlavaDave
06-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Also, there was the whole "phantom sack" thing with Jim Everett. Rome was questioning Everett's manhood.

Isaac
06-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Rome had been calling him Chris on his show for a long time, because Jim would never take a hit. Props to Rome for not sucking up to him and ignoring that he had always ripped him and saying it to his face.

Jim Rome has a different style that is edgy and controversial. He knows what he's doing.

Shade
06-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Rome had been calling him Chris on his show for a long time, because Jim would never take a hit. Props to Rome for not sucking up to him and ignoring that he had always ripped him and saying it to his face.

Jim Rome has a different style that is edgy and controversial. He knows what he's doing.

Yeah, Rome sure looked like he had the situation under control from his defensive position on the floor. :laugh:

Hicks
06-11-2007, 08:00 PM
People like Jim Rome (at least circa that inverview) deserve to get pummeled often by the people they rip (especially when they do it to their face after it being made clear they did not like it).

Isaac
06-11-2007, 08:03 PM
I think getting tackled and maybe taking a few punches was worth the millions Jim has made since.

Bball
06-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Aha... the key part I've missed all this years. I didn't realize Rome had been calling him that on a regular basis and building the bad blood.

-Bball

pacerwaala
06-12-2007, 12:17 AM
Like most of you all, I do not like his TV show. But his radio show is very funny. If you just start listening to it, hang in there for a few days and you will find it funny. If you keep in touch with what is currently happening in the world of sports, you will find his show funny. The e-mails that clones send are very funny also. He tends to repeat himself a lot on radio which is a bit annoying but IMHO, he and the conternt/format of his radio show is entertaining overall.

I saw that thing between Rome and Jim Everett live. It could have been a publicity stunt by Rome, but it definitely worked for him. Rome is one of the leading candidates to take his syndicated show on to Satellite radio.

I can't believe that most people do not remember or realize who Chris Evert Lloyd was.

Arcadian
06-12-2007, 12:26 AM
I'm not sure which is the bigger surprise that people have forgotten Chris or remember Jim. Don't tell Jim I said that though.

BoomBaby31
06-12-2007, 01:51 AM
Yeah, Rome sure looked like he had the situation under control from his defensive position on the floor. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh: That's what I was thinking, not to mention him keep flinching like a little "female dog."

I remember this fool said the colts had absolute zero chance of getting to the superbowl let alone win it. Then comes superbowl he acts like he never said it, dogs Rex and post Superbowl first people on his show was Freeney and Sanders. If I was them I'd told him to kiss our booty.

robocop's cousin
06-12-2007, 02:19 AM
classic TV

SpADeD
06-12-2007, 02:22 AM
:laugh::laugh: That's what I was thinking, not to mention him keep flinching like a little "female dog."

I remember this fool said the colts had absolute zero chance of getting to the superbowl let alone win it. Then comes superbowl he acts like he never said it, dogs Rex and post Superbowl first people on his show was Freeney and Sanders. If I was them I'd told him to kiss our booty.

Isn't that what most analysts due when they are proved wrong? Try to cover their tracks.

RWB
06-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Rome showed no class that day and a tiger doesn't change his stripes. Still waiting for the day the former Purdue grad beats some sense into the wise @ss.

Kegboy
06-12-2007, 09:34 AM
He tends to repeat himself a lot on radio which is a bit annoying

That's my problem with him when I've tried to listen. Both him and Patrick just pound **** into the ground.

dubyacop
06-12-2007, 11:19 AM
I too am of the "man, I feel old around this forum sometimes" group.
personally, I enjoy Rome in small doses, with a year off between them, but he is a marketing wizzard, he saw wat worked and formed it into what he did. basically took the Limbaugh show and eventually molded it to his own style and added a degrading additude to it, I am not sure why that part worked, but it did.

this psudeo fight was, I am sure, planned on his part, and like others said, it rewlly put him on the map, but if I remember, it cost him his job, and he has become "somewhat"more professional I think. for those who don't know, when you hear Romie speak of the "incident", this is what he is refering to.

BTW oldsters, how many of you remember Chrissy's little sister... the big breasted Jeanie?... loved to watch her run... errrrr... compete

ChicagoJ
06-12-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm not sure which is the bigger surprise that people have forgotten Chris or remember Jim. Don't tell Jim I said that though.

Well, Jim had quite a college career in Indiana (even though he was playing for the bad guys), so I can see why he's remembered around here.

ABADays
06-12-2007, 11:42 AM
BTW oldsters, how many of you remember Chrissy's little sister... the big breasted Jeanie?... loved to watch her run... errrrr... compete

Wow - up until now I had forgotten about her. Ah yes - fondled mammeries - I mean fond memories.

naptownmenace
06-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Whether you really like his style or not, he has the best sports talk show on radio. His TV shows have always paled incomparison.

He's a great interviewer on either way but I've heard some of the best interviews I've ever heard on his radio show. His interviews with Pat Tillman, Gilbert Arenas, Don King, Isiah Thomas (when he coached the Pacers), Bernard Hopkins, Charles Barkley, and even Adam Sandler stand out in my mind. He's interviewed nearly every big name coach, player, boxer, ect.

dubyacop
06-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Wow - up until now I had forgotten about her. Ah yes - fondled mammeries - I mean fond memories.

:laugh:

very well put ABA

TripleThreat
06-13-2007, 09:49 AM
since pretty much everyone who has any knowledge about sports knows Jim Rome is a complete idiot.

hilarious find...

Rome is not an idiot, however...the idiots are those millions of morons out there who try and BE him every waking moment of their lives. He even calls them "clones", and they just continue to follow his schtick.

I listen to the show when I can, and LMAO at the stupid comments his listeners make. I used to work with a guy who would fax 25-30 pages a day to the Rome show with stupid comments on them in the hopes that ONE of them would get read, as if it somehow validated his existance.

grace
06-13-2007, 12:34 PM
hilarious find...

Rome is not an idiot, however...the idiots are those millions of morons out there who try and BE him every waking moment of their lives. He even calls them "clones", and they just continue to follow his schtick.

I listen to the show when I can, and LMAO at the stupid comments his listeners make. I used to work with a guy who would fax 25-30 pages a day to the Rome show with stupid comments on them in the hopes that ONE of them would get read, as if it somehow validated his existance.

Yep. Jim will say something like "No more OJ Simpson e-mails" and they he'll read a few and say "That's just wack. No more clones." And then he'll read some more.

The fact that I even know what goes on on his show is a testament to how bad Dan Patrick's show can be at times.

sig
06-13-2007, 12:50 PM
I thought Dan Patrick had a great show when Dibble was on it. It's gone down since and he likes to beat his own drum. I still like it for the guests he has but that is about it.

The only thing I like about Rome is he will talk some good baseball.

Moses
06-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Let's see how smart Jim Rome is without a teleprompter..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIlGZ1HRuR8&mode=related&search=

Ouch, talk about crashing and burning. "Other things...to talk about...in this..."

flakcatcher
06-13-2007, 01:58 PM
This is widely rumored to have been staged.

FlavaDave
06-13-2007, 03:19 PM
This is widely rumored to have been staged.

By Jim Rome's people, I bet.

If I looked like a cowardly ******* on national television, I would say it was staged, too.

If this was staged, Jom Rome would definitly have pretended to fight back.