PDA

View Full Version : New Pacers coach O'Brien reaching out to players

LoneGranger33
06-10-2007, 12:42 PM
I don't know how many of you read the Fort Wayne Sentinel, but here's another article about our new coach, Jim O'Brien.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssentinel/news/local/17338144.htm

He's gonna meet Tinsley in Atlanta next week, then he's planning a trip to New York to see Dunleavy and Murphy (who apparently are dating?). I know Murphy is from the NJ area, but I thought Dunleavy was a West Coaster. Anyways, some interesting quotes:

1) "He has met with three of his youngest players - Danny Granger, David Harrison and Shawne Williams - who are among the least likely to be traded because of their age and potential"

Yay, David Harrison! (the article later says "enormous potential"!!)

2) "O'Brien met with Williams on Tuesday and told him to be ready to run in a new up-tempo offense"

Yay, up-tempo!

3) "O'Brien expects Granger to be a top option this season"

This could be the make-or-break year for Danny; that is, All-Star future, or good third option.

Probably reading into all this too much, but without a draft pick or summer league team (hopefully both will change), I've got to look for something...

Frank Slade
06-10-2007, 12:57 PM
So even the FT Wayne Sentinel scoops our local media. Good find LG, thanks.
Good to hear about Shawne and Harrison. what about Ike ?

Roaming Gnome
06-10-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm sure The Star is just riding the wave here in Indy that, "no one really cares about the Pacers", so why write fluff pieces about them. Good job News Sentienal.

Unclebuck
06-10-2007, 01:07 PM
While it is commendable that he is meeting with the players individually - it pretty much standard operating procedure for coaches do to that especially brand new coaches.

O'Brien was on WIBC's morning show late last week and said that he had met with 7 current Pacers players and planned to meet with JO and Tinsley in the coming days. So I don't know why Indystar would not report this, but the again - it really isn't news

Hicks
06-10-2007, 01:07 PM
It said associated press, so is it still the locals up there? I've never fully understood how the AP works.

Kraft
06-10-2007, 01:43 PM
It could've run in any newspaper across the country. Or on any Web site that has the license to post AP copy.

Cliff Brunt is one two sports guys based in Indianapolis; he has a set coverage area, including Purdue sports. Another name you'll recognize in Michael Marot, who also has set coverage topics as well.

Kegboy
06-10-2007, 04:59 PM
then he's planning a trip to New York to see Dunleavy and Murphy (who apparently are dating?)

Yeah, didn't you know? They're actually more than dating (what did you think Murphleavy meant?)

LoneGranger33
06-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Yeah, didn't you know? They're actually more than dating (what did you think Murphleavy meant?)

Hahahahaha...I didn't realize it was legal in New York.

speakout4
06-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Yay, David Harrison! (the article later says "enormous potential"!!)..

Harrison is the perfect trade throw-in that we need to sweeten a deal that will give us a draft pick. Otherwise this guy with a lot of potential is going to get a long-term contract from the Pacers which we will regret. I have trouble imagining that this year he will do so well that he will reverse the negatives he generated over three years. I hope the new coaches don't fall for a new Harrison.

2Cleva
06-10-2007, 06:54 PM
A lot of praise on Harrison, which is rarely done by Indy media. Why do so if Indy was getting Bynum?

I'm not saying, I'm just saying....

Anthem
06-10-2007, 07:08 PM
A lot of praise on Harrison, which is rarely done by Indy media. Why do so if Indy was getting Bynum?

I'm not saying, I'm just saying....
TPTB want to send him to LA in the Bynum deal.

You heard it here first.

BlueNGold
06-10-2007, 08:38 PM

You heard it here first.

Pump and Dump. You will also hear praises for Tinsley.

OnlyPacersLeft
06-10-2007, 08:43 PM
granger possibly our # 1 option? oh man i gotta puke

avoidingtheclowns
06-10-2007, 08:49 PM

it beats foster and orien being our 1-2 punch

idioteque
06-10-2007, 09:58 PM

I think there is a difference between being a "top option" and the #1 option. To me #2 in a 1-2 punch would still be considered a top option.

LoneGranger33
06-10-2007, 10:17 PM
Orien for Threeeeeeee! I can see it now...and I love it!

Oneal07
06-10-2007, 10:42 PM

LOL, What The Hell

RWB
06-11-2007, 08:29 AM

You heard it here first.

Nah, the Pacers are too proud of David's new Kinetico water softner commercials to let let him go now.

Kegboy
06-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Nah, the Pacers are too proud of David's new Kinetico water softner commercials to let let him go now.

Yeah, what's up with that?

Roferr
06-11-2007, 08:53 AM
It's nice to see O'Brien reach out to his players right from the get-go. With his philosophy of earning minutes just highlights the need to have consummate team members who are willing to fill a particular role with reduced minutes without becoming a cancer on the bench. There are players who seem to think they are better than they are and think they should be starting and/or playing 40 mpg and if not, they become malcontents with rotten attitudes that permeate the entire team.

You can say all you want about Dun-Murph but we just relieved ourselves of two such players who didn't like reduced minutes and were very indifferent, to say the least, while riding the bench.

indygeezer
06-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Something about their water resembles his play, therefore it was a perfect match.

RWB
06-11-2007, 08:58 AM
Yeah, what's up with that?

It's my understanding they really wanted Murphy because when you think Soft, you think Troy.

However, after showing he could drink a glass of water like no other David won out.

Anthem
06-11-2007, 09:57 AM
It's my understanding they really wanted Murphy because when you think Soft, you think Troy.
I tip my hat to you.

NuffSaid
06-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Well, one thing's for sure JOB's setting the tone from the very beginning, and that's good. He's letting his players know right from the start what's expected of them. It's up to them to either measure up and meet the challenge or they're gonna ride the pine. And as the season progressess no one can say they weren't informed as to what the expectations were.

Old JOB has hit the deck running! I like that!! :happydanc

Naptown_Seth
06-11-2007, 04:06 PM
2) "O'Brien met with Williams on Tuesday and told him to be ready to run in a new up-tempo offense"Translation - boy, I like me some 3 ball and you got one ah the quickest, purist triggers from deep on the team. Hit the weights now because hoisting 6 a night will be par for course for you next year.
:D

Not saying I mind that btw, just saying.

While it is commendable that he is meeting with the players individually - it pretty much standard operating procedure for coaches do to that especially brand new coaches.

O'Brien was on WIBC's morning show late last week and said that he had met with 7 current Pacers players and planned to meet with JO and Tinsley in the coming days. So I don't know why Indystar would not report this, but the again - it really isn't news
I agree Buck. And I'm not being anti-JOB because I can see some merit in his hiring. I've been praising it so far, at least modestly. But this is a non-story. The story is "new coach doesn't reach out to roster, doesn't really give a s*** what they think".

Rick contacted JO right off the bat to smooth over the loss of Zeke, for example. This stuff is just his shot at an "end of season meeting" that Bird/DW/RC had with the team already. I hope to heck he wouldn't wait till camp to interact with these guys.

BTW, Mike Wells agrees with us

Jim O’Brien is going around meeting with each player face-to-face, which routinely happens when a new coach is hired.

Naptown_Seth
06-11-2007, 04:11 PM
I tip my hat to you.
I agree. RWB, that's going in my list of post of the year candidates.