PDA

View Full Version : No Summer League for the Pacers?!

LoneGranger33
06-10-2007, 10:55 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/nba-summer-leagues.shtml

Insidehoops is reporting that, as of now, there is only slated to be one summer league, the one in Las Vegas, and there will be 21 NBA teams and the Chinese National Team. Sadly, the Pacers are one of the nine teams who won't be in attendence! What am I going to do with my summer!? And does this suggest we (TPTB I should say) aren't sure we're actually going to get a pick?

underwave
06-10-2007, 11:00 AM
omg. what the h*ll is going on?

Hicks
06-10-2007, 11:43 AM
I don't know what it means. It could very well mean no pick I suppose.

Roaming Gnome
06-10-2007, 01:12 PM
I'll miss summer hoops on TV, but at least I don't have to hear the over hype of players that looked ok in summer league, but couldn't even make the roster.

:twocents:

Anthem
06-10-2007, 02:31 PM
With the number of young players we have, I find that to be a bit stupid.

Ike and Shawne, especially, could use some game experience before the season starts.

Hicks
06-10-2007, 02:38 PM
The only thing I can figure is maybe they feel since they already know what they have (at least vs. anything they might learn in summer league) with our young guys, so why bother? But it stills seems strange. Is this some kind of cost-saving thing? Otherwise, I'm struggling to figure it out.

Swingman
06-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Maybe they would rather the team use the time to develop in the areas that Obrien has told them to develop.

Maybe instead of sending half the team to Las Vegas, they want to keep them together to work on the new system.

Anthem
06-10-2007, 04:46 PM
Maybe they would rather the team use the time to develop in the areas that Obrien has told them to develop.

Maybe instead of sending half the team to Las Vegas, they want to keep them together to work on the new system.
NBA rules prohibit that.

Swingman
06-10-2007, 04:50 PM
well ok, just work on their own game separately.

Kegboy
06-10-2007, 04:51 PM
I don't remember ever seeing us getting benefit from summer play. Invariably our only guaranteed players end up maybe playing a game, before sitting out with a minor injury. What ends up happening is a couple guys play well enough to get invited to camp, and they get built up so much on here that people get majorly ****ed when they don't make the roster.

I think we can get by without that. The only bright spot I ever remember from Summer play was Adrian Griffin, who we let sign somewhere else. :banghead:

Naptown_Seth
06-10-2007, 04:51 PM
The only thing I can figure is maybe they feel since they already know what they have (at least vs. anything they might learn in summer league) with our young guys, so why bother? But it stills seems strange. Is this some kind of cost-saving thing? Otherwise, I'm struggling to figure it out.
There is absolutely 100% no way that JOB "knows what they have" right now, not as it works in his system. I don't even know how he could have a system just yet in fact, you have to assume that whatever he does will still be adjusted to what the talent can best do as a group.

Shawne, Orien and Ike could really use some work especially. It's not like they got so much PT last year that they are burned out.

Maybe JOB just doesn't have the staff in place for the logistics of it all? Still it's strange to me too. As Anthem points out, this is the only way till camp to get some pieces officially together with the coaching staff to work on stuff.

Most guys still seek out other "camps" and gyms to gather and play games in order to improve what they want to work on, but it's not team supervised in a proper sense.

Naptown_Seth
06-10-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't remember ever seeing us getting benefit from summer play. Invariably our only guaranteed players end up maybe playing a game, before sitting out with a minor injury. What ends up happening is a couple guys play well enough to get invited to camp, and they get built up so much on here that people get majorly ****ed when they don't make the roster.

I think we can get by without that. The only bright spot I ever remember from Summer play was Adrian Griffin, who we let sign somewhere else. :banghead:
I think Danny improved last summer, and the year before he got to work with Ron who was shaking off some rust himself.

Guys play 4-5 of the 6-7 games typically, not just 1.

Yes, James White looked solid in the summer and ended up off the team, but that was because Rawle had not yet had a strong camp and wasn't with the Pacers summer team (could have used it though).

But it was clear even in summer that while Snap could score he couldn't defend.

You're right, it's not a disaster, but given the apparent minimal effort to participate it seems odd. Wouldn't it be nice to see how Shawne fares against Noah, stuff like that? We certainly got to see Shawne holding his own when rebounding vs T Thomas last summer, something that did seem to hold true in the season when Shawne got to play.

Kegboy
06-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Well, I seem to remember David Harrison abusing Andrew Bogut a couple years ago. So no, I don't take anything that happens in the summer league as worthwhile anymore.

Anthem
06-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Regardless of how they do in the games, Summer League seems appealing because the guys can actually get some coaching in a structured environment before the training camp.

It seems odd that there's only one summer camp this year. Usually there are 3 or more. In the past, some teams have sent their guys to two camps.

Kegboy
06-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Summer League seems appealing because the guys can actually get some coaching in a structured environment before the training camp.

Yeah, but when have we even taken it seriously from a coaching standpoint. Every year, we have somebody like Dan Burke out there. I seem to remember even having Mel Daniels do it.

While I think the argument can be made that benefit can be gained from it, I don't think the Pacers have ever taken it seriously.

Anthem
06-10-2007, 07:36 PM
Yeah, but when have we even taken it seriously from a coaching standpoint. Every year, we have somebody like Dan Burke out there. I seem to remember even having Mel Daniels do it.

While I think the argument can be made that benefit can be gained from it, I don't think the Pacers have ever taken it seriously.
Can't argue with that.

mboyle1313
06-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Children,

Surely you are all aware by now that you believe everything you read at your own peril.

Rest assured, the Pacers will be fielding a summer league team.

MJB

skyfire
06-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Well, I seem to remember David Harrison abusing Andrew Bogut a couple years ago. So no, I don't take anything that happens in the summer league as worthwhile anymore.

Summer league is David's time to shine, no foul outs.

Hicks
06-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Children,

Surely you are all aware by now that you believe everything you read at your own peril.

MJB

Good to have you back, and coming out swinging no less. :D

speakout4
06-10-2007, 08:24 PM

I remember that too. Harrison's finest moment. And how great Snap was going to be. But these guys could certainly use the work. So all in all it's better for them to play under conditions that are not of their own choosing.

Some older pros could also use summer work such as Murphy who needs to be reacquainted with the paint area:D

owl
06-10-2007, 08:43 PM
Children,

MJB

Actually we tend to take info off the net and chew it until it is as fine as dust
and then we move on to the next partial piece of information. It is the internet way.
:-)

Thanks for the info.

avoidingtheclowns
06-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Children,

MJB

could you go to the vescey Laker trade thread and calm a few people down about the trade never happening, blah blah blah. i'm sure mal would appreciate it

OnlyPacersLeft
06-10-2007, 09:25 PM
orlando with no summer league aswell? WTF? dang...I guess the teams with not many rookies coming in don't need em? maybe the orlando summer league is still going to happen and that's where the pacers will be (like last year)

LoneGranger33
06-10-2007, 09:57 PM
orlando with no summer league aswell? WTF? dang...I guess the teams with not many rookies coming in don't need em? maybe the orlando summer league is still going to happen and that's where the pacers will be (like last year)

That's what I thought at first, but 21 teams (22 with the Chinese)...that's more than they ever have. I mean, that's a hell of a summer league. Orlando had what, six or seven? I want...I want to believe.

http://www.spinozist.us/wp-content/uploads/I%20want%20to%20believe%20small.jpg

OnlyPacersLeft
06-11-2007, 12:30 AM
yea...its magic,pacers,bulls,nets,bobcats and one other team i cant remember...I saw JO down here i was like wtf is he in sl now? LOL
but he said he was just working out with the team

grace
06-11-2007, 01:59 AM

He's probably available if you're intersted (altough I'm not).

Frank Slade
06-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Orlando is having a summer league, and the Pacers are again one of the teams. I don't know where all this info is coming from.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2007/06/a_few_tidbits.html

3rd paragraph

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-default/showthread.php?t=31622
:runout:

LoneGranger33
06-11-2007, 10:29 AM
I'll rest assured once it appears on the following page, but it's good to hear it anyways! http://www.nba.com/summerleague/

Naptown_Seth
06-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Well this is a true example, but he ALSO got tech'd up several times if you'll recall, including in that Bogut game. In summer ball.

So I'd say it was pretty accurate. Bogut was soft vs a physical offensive guy, and we know David can score the ball if he gets in the post. And we know that the reason he doesn't play has hella more to do with fouls and his horrible temper.

I see that summer situation as a prime example of why David frustrates us, he CAN be good but he won't help himself. I don't think the results were misleading at all in retrospect, just that some people overlooked the full picture.

And how great Snap was going to be.And as I also mentioned Snap proved BOTH summers that while he could score the ball he couldn't defend. I don't think anyone rational was suggesting that either he or David were proving that they were stars at the time. Of course I was at Star during most of this time and they don't keep their old threads. :(

I'll give you an even better example - Jamison BREWER played his way OFF THE TEAM in summer ball. It was his spot for the taking, back-up PG, and instead of shining he was a big mess. That's when he got dropped. I don't think anyone feels that this was a major mistake.

And while White looked better than Shawne in Orlando, back in Indy it was clear that Shawne was actually ahead of him. It's not like summer results are the end-all, be-all here. But why the heck would you not want to take every chance to look at players you can?

Naptown_Seth
06-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Children,

MJB
In my defense I did say it sounded strange and didn't make sense. :)

I hope Orlando tries to at least run a net feed of games again. It's not great quality but I still enjoyed it a little.

avoidingtheclowns
06-11-2007, 05:49 PM
I see that summer situation as a prime example of why David frustrates us, he CAN be good but he won't help himself. I don't think the results were misleading at all in retrospect, just that some people overlooked the full picture.

this seems to be an odd theme pacers players have had. you can say this about tinsley, sjax, artest...

LoneGranger33
06-11-2007, 08:06 PM
In my defense I did say it sounded strange and didn't make sense. :)

I hope Orlando tries to at least run a net feed of games again. It's not great quality but I still enjoyed it a little.

Not great quality!? Ok, yeah, it was a little crappy, but the announcers were great!

Roaming Gnome
06-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Not great quality!? Ok, yeah, it was a little crappy, but the announcers were great!

Yes, they were! The loudest silence I ever heard...

MagicRat
06-11-2007, 10:47 PM
You stay classy, Planet Earth......

Anthem
06-11-2007, 10:56 PM
You stay classy, Planet Earth......
Man, that was great. Worst announcers I've ever heard.

LoneGranger33
06-11-2007, 11:03 PM
Man, that was great. Worst announcers I've ever heard.

It could have been worst - "Boom goes the Dynamite" - no?