PDA

View Full Version : J.R. Smith seriously injured in car wreck

diamonddave00
06-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Nuggets player J.R. Smith injured in car crash

June 9, 2007

MILLSTONE TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP) -- Denver Nuggets player J.R. Smith and another man were seriously injured Saturday when the sport utility vehicle Smith was driving collided with a car.

Smith and the unidentified passenger were ejected from the SUV in the crash, which occurred around 5:30 p.m. on Stagecoach Road in Millstone Township, said Sgt. Stephen Jones, a state police spokesman.

ADVERTISEMENT

The passenger -- who had serious head wounds -- was airlifted to Jersey Shore University Hospital in Neptune, while Smith was taken there via ambulance.

Further details on their injuries were not immediately available Saturday night.

Smith's vehicle apparently went through a stop sign, Jones said, and collided with the other car. The driver of that vehicle and two other people in the SUV were injured and taken to CentraState Medical Center in Freehold, but their injuries were not considered serious.

The 21-year-old Smith was a star player at Lakewood High School and St. Benedict's Prep in New Jersey. He averaged 13.0 points in 63 games this season.

Hicks
06-10-2007, 12:50 AM
Always include a link, please. Thanks.

ajbry
06-10-2007, 12:57 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2899338

Considering the dude wasn't wearing his damn seatbelt and ran through a stop sign (putting other people in danger) - I'm withholding sympathy, considering SportsCenter said a little while ago that he's supposed to be released from the hospital tomorrow with "bumps and bruises."

Alpolloloco
06-10-2007, 03:33 AM
Although JR Smith has done some stupid things in his life, and this one is just an example, I much rather have him on the team than Stephen Jackson.

Major Cold
06-10-2007, 06:41 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2899338

Considering the dude wasn't wearing his damn seatbelt and ran through a stop sign (putting other people in danger) - I'm withholding sympathy, considering SportsCenter said a little while ago that he's supposed to be released from the hospital tomorrow with "bumps and bruises."

I understand that not wearing your eat belt and running a stop sign is not bright but come on...It was an accident...Its not like J.R. pulled a gun out and fired rounds at the oncoming vehicle..It was an accident and people were hurt..If people are seriously hurt he has that to deal with that...

ajbry
06-10-2007, 09:45 AM
No, if people are seriously hurt then THEY'LL have to deal with that. He obviously could care very little if he ran the stop sign to begin with.

If I seem a bit harsh, it's simply because I have very little tolerance for stupid and selfish drivers who take other people's lives into their own ******* hands. It's unexcusable.

Anthem
06-10-2007, 10:40 AM
Although JR Smith has done some stupid things in his life, and this one is just an example, I much rather have him on the team than Stephen Jackson.
Please don't.

MarionDeputy
06-10-2007, 11:00 AM
No, if people are seriously hurt then THEY'LL have to deal with that. He obviously could care very little if he ran the stop sign to begin with.

If I seem a bit harsh, it's simply because I have very little tolerance for stupid and selfish drivers who take other people's lives into their own ******* hands. It's unexcusable.

I agree, people who don't use seatbelts and die from getting ejected are a perfect example of natural selection.

LoneGranger33
06-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I agree, people who don't use seatbelts and die from getting ejected are a perfect example of natural selection.

Ummmm...

Hicks
06-10-2007, 11:44 AM
It's harsh, but it's true, too. You choose not to wear a condom, you might get someone pregnant. You choose not to wear a seatbelt, you might get thrown from the vehicle.

Stryder
06-10-2007, 11:50 AM
It's harsh, but it's true, too. You choose not to wear a condom, you might get someone pregnant. You choose not to wear a seatbelt, you might get thrown from the vehicle.

Just playing the Devil's advocate, but...

You wear a condom, you can still get someone pregnant.

You wear a seatbelt, you can still get hurt and/or die.

Hicks
06-10-2007, 12:00 PM

So because of that why bother?

Stryder
06-10-2007, 12:03 PM
So because of that why bother?

I agree with you, but I was just playing the other side.

Young
06-10-2007, 12:20 PM

How in gods name do you know if JR cared little about other people. He ran a stop sign and he messed up yes. But that doesn't mean he doesn't care about people's lives.

Stupid selfish drivers should not be toleraded but EVERYONE messes up when driving at some point in their lives. I don't know if you are or not but I highly doubt that you are a perfect driver because people drive to much to be perfect. At the very least I think that everyone has had some close calls that would have been their fault at some point in their lives.

This could happen very easily for a number of reasons. Maybe he didn't see it, he didn't know it was there, maybe something was distracting him you just don't know.

Anthem
06-10-2007, 02:34 PM

Sure, it's possible. But there's no reason NOT to wear a seatbelt. It takes, what, 2 seconds? Plus it's the law.

mildlysane
06-10-2007, 05:11 PM
I agree with the seatbelt thing....although not because it is the law....more because of the laws of physics. However, the running a stop sign thing is probably an accident. Happens hundreds of times a day. Trust me, I see it all the time (I am a courier). Not advocating it, just pointing out that it is a COMMON occurance.

hoopsforlife
06-10-2007, 06:11 PM
I agree with the seatbelt thing....although not because it is the law....more because of the laws of physics. However, the running a stop sign thing is probably an accident. Happens hundreds of times a day. Trust me, I see it all the time (I am a courier). Not advocating it, just pointing out that it is a COMMON occurance.

My son's drivers training instructor told him that stop signs with a white line around them are optional.

I use that information alot. :)

NorCal_Pacerfan
06-10-2007, 07:05 PM
It is possible that the stop sign was obscured from view. There are a few around here that people blow through all the time cause the city doesn't keep the trees trimmed back. Just saying it's possible.

Anthem
06-10-2007, 07:07 PM
My son's drivers training instructor told him that stop signs with a white line around them are optional.

I use that information alot. :)
When I took driver's ed, my instructor told me that if I ever missed a stop sign, I would have to pull the car over, walk back to the sign, and apologize to it.

Kegboy
06-10-2007, 07:39 PM
:laugh:

Anthem
06-10-2007, 08:40 PM
:laugh:
Hey, don't knock it. It worked. :D

Kegboy
06-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Hey, don't knock it. It worked. :D

See, I always figured that if you were gonna talk to a stop sign it'd be to criticize it's lack of punctuation. :shrug:

Anthem
06-10-2007, 10:51 PM
See, I always figured that if you were gonna talk to a stop sign it'd be to criticize it's lack of punctuation. :shrug:
Hey, new sig = new times. I haven't criticized anyone's punctuation in over a year.

There's that Graham character running around, but I hear he actually posts from a mental institution.

Naptown_Seth
06-10-2007, 10:57 PM
Okay, I thought about another thread, but I'm going to ruin the humor of this one instead.

The Nuggets are replacing the Pacers in terms of problems, at least since 8 Seconds. The NY brawl, now this, and then we add the latest...

Nuggets' Johnson charged with resisting arrest, interfering with police

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2899826

And he was Kandi-tazed for good measure. Congrats Nuggets, the Pacers are happy to hand you the torch. Just think AI didn't even have to pull one of his stunts (like tracking down his wife with a gun) to get this going.

Slow down guys, the Finals aren't even over yet, you gotta pace yourself.

There's that Graham character running around, but I hear he actually posts from a mental institution.:arrgh:

Kegboy
06-10-2007, 11:01 PM
That's too bad about Dermarr. I always liked him.

Still, another black eye for University of Cinncinnati. Between them and the Bengals, ouch.

Naptown_Seth
06-10-2007, 11:27 PM
That's too bad about Dermarr. I always liked him.

Still, another black eye for University of Cinncinnati. Between them and the Bengals, ouch.
This is why we won't go to King's Island anymore. I mean why risk it.
:D

ajbry
06-11-2007, 10:49 PM
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3220/l36559794fd2187a6fb53b9iy0.jpg

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2900023

Yeah, so this 21-year old is now dead. If our justice system is worth anything nowdays, Smith will be charged with involuntary manslaughter or something around that realm.

My condolences to Andre Bell's family.

SoupIsGood
06-11-2007, 10:53 PM
:(

Trader Joe
06-11-2007, 11:13 PM
RIP.

They say the good die young...

FlavaDave
06-12-2007, 09:13 AM
I read somewhere last night that J.R. blew around the car in front of him that was stopped at the stop sign. It was a two lane stop and J.R. flew around him into the intersection.

Can anyone back that up with a link? I can't find the article.

Moses
06-12-2007, 10:30 AM
RIP Andre Bell

If JR Smith had just followed the law and buckled him and his buddy up as well as stopped at the damn stop sign, his friend would still be here today.

Wu-Gambino
06-12-2007, 10:50 AM
This brings back bad memories of Bobby Phills' death.

indyman37
06-12-2007, 11:09 AM
Is there any information on how J.R. Smith is doing?

Trader Joe
06-12-2007, 11:12 AM
Is there any information on how J.R. Smith is doing?

Apparently alright, although the doctor's apparently can't find his brain.

Young
06-12-2007, 01:49 PM
I read somewhere last night that J.R. blew around the car in front of him that was stopped at the stop sign. It was a two lane stop and J.R. flew around him into the intersection.

Can anyone back that up with a link? I can't find the article.

I read the same thing and I think it was on ESPN but I am to lazy to check.

Half of this is obviously JR's fault, the other is his friend's fault for not wearing a damn seatbelt.

Since86
06-12-2007, 02:11 PM
I know reality about mistakes is harsh, but I wish some of you could tone it down.

After being around a fatality accident (3 in the past 2 years actually), where the driver was going 55 in a 30, lost control after hitting a curb on a slight turn, then hitting an SUV head on resulting in your best-friends death because he wasn't wearing a seltbelt has definately openned my eyes up to the term "accident."

Unless you've actually been in a similiar situation, there is no way to possibily imagine what someone goes through with something like this. Finding out his friend is dead is far and away worse than anything the courts could/can do to him, unless he just doesn't have a conscience at all.

RIP John Andrew Carter
RIP Travis James Smith
RIP Alex Shafer
RIP Andre Bell

Bball
06-12-2007, 02:23 PM
I know reality about mistakes is harsh, but I wish some of you could tone it down.

After being around a fatality accident (3 in the past 2 years actually), where the driver was going 55 in a 30, lost control after hitting a curb on a slight turn, then hitting an SUV head on resulting in your best-friends death because he wasn't wearing a seltbelt has definately openned my eyes up to the term "accident."

Unless you've actually been in a similiar situation, there is no way to possibily imagine what someone goes through with something like this. Finding out his friend is dead is far and away worse than anything the courts could/can do to him, unless he just doesn't have a conscience at all.

RIP John Andrew Carter
RIP Travis James Smith
RIP Alex Shafer
RIP Andre Bell

Amen

-Bball