PDA

View Full Version : Will Conley be there at 5?

Anthem
06-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Ok, so the top 2 spots are locked. After that, though, it seems up in the air.

If, hypothetically, we were to grab the #5 pick, would Conley be there?

naptown
06-09-2007, 01:18 PM
Ok, so the top 2 spots are locked. After that, though, it seems up in the air.

If, hypothetically, we were to grab the #5 pick, would Conley be there?

I think after the first two picks teams will be drafting for need. Players 3-12 could go in any order.

Hicks
06-09-2007, 01:21 PM
Atlanta seems to foolishly be picking another F with their #3 pick, waiting to grab whatever's left at PG with #11 if they don't trade it for Jarret Jack, so I think that gets him to #4.

That would be Memphis. I don't think they'd take Conley.

That would then put us at #5 and Boston. Telfair's out of the league basically at this point, certainly done with the Celtics. But they have West and Rondo too.

Kegboy
06-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Simple. If we go out and get the pick, he won't be there anymore. If we don't make a move, he will. :(

Seriously, I know the rumor is ATL will wait and get a PG at 11, but I don't see why they'd draft Brandon Wright when it seems like all they have are athletic 3-4's.

I just looked around and NBA.com has a collection of a bunch of mocks here: http://www.nba.com/features/draft2007_consensus.html

Out of 13 mocks, 4 have Conley going #3. None of them have Memphis taking him at #4, but you never about trades, especially with Portland.

Even if we were to move up and he wasn't there, you'll still have the likes of the Florida kids and the Wrights to choose from. But when you're effectively trading an All-Star for a draft pick, a local kid like Conley would be easier to swallow.

diamonddave00
06-09-2007, 01:33 PM
I see going to Bucks at earliest , he could well be there at 11. I know Conley is a fav to a lot but he's barely 6' with very limited shooting range. No way if I dealt JO for a high pick would I take Conley unless I got an above average big in the trade.

Anthem
06-09-2007, 02:06 PM
I see going to Bucks at earliest , he could well be there at 11. I know Conley is a fav to a lot but he's barely 6' with very limited shooting range. No way if I dealt JO for a high pick would I take Conley unless I got an above average big in the trade.
This is kind of assuming we do an LA trade, then spin Lamar to Boston. Put him at the 3 between Pierce and Jefferson, and you're in business.

diamonddave00
06-09-2007, 02:30 PM
I don't see the Celtics giving up #5 for Odom. Odom had shoulder surgery recently , now may need knee surgery plus wants a big money 3 year extention.

avoidingtheclowns
06-09-2007, 02:36 PM
see i tend to think they'd be more than willing to give it up since they're developing enough prospects, were they to get the #1 with oden then no they would draft greg but they have jefferson, west, rondo, green, allen, powe, gomes, perkins, ray that they are currently developing. they need a little more experience to play with paul pierce. i don't think they're interested in drafting anyone UNLESS they have decided to trade pierce. then they value that pick a great deal. the celtics realize they're going to continue to waste paul's talent on a developing roster if the don't get a vet.

BoomBaby31
06-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Rumor is: Portland is trying to get the #3 pick so Odom and Conley can stay together and it is very realistic because they have the talent. If not, Atlanta is suppose to take the pg (being Conley) because they are still mad about missing out on Chris Paul. So unless both those things fall through, I don't see him being there at 5.

sig
06-09-2007, 03:27 PM
I thought the hot rumor was Jarret Jack for number 11. I think Atlanta would be crazy to do that instead of take Conley. Conley has all the tools to be a very solid NBA PG. He will add a jump shot. Then again, maybe they don't want to put up with Josh Smith's antics. They have to make a decisoon to pay him or not. Brandon Wright would be a solid pick if they gonna move Smith.

sixthman
06-10-2007, 09:02 AM
If I were the Hawks I'd take Conley at "3". But if they feel one of the bigs is going to be an impact player, they will probably take the big, and maybe rightly so.

If I were the Griz, I'd also take Conley, if he's available. But if they feel one of the bigs is going to be an impact player, they will also probably take the big. They need one badly to pair with Pau Gasol. Pau with a young big, Mike Miller, and Rudy Gay is 80 percent of a good starting unit.

That makes Conley available at "5", and if he is, there is a good chance the Pacers and Celtics will be able to strike a deal.

Kegboy
06-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Pretty much everyone has Memphis taking Horford, unless Brandon Wright falls. Makes sense. But I can sure see them trading that pick, which concerns me.

mike_D
06-10-2007, 08:10 PM
If I were the Hawks I'd take Conley at "3". But if they feel one of the bigs is going to be an impact player, they will probably take the big, and maybe rightly so.

If I were the Griz, I'd also take Conley, if he's available. But if they feel one of the bigs is going to be an impact player, they will also probably take the big. They need one badly to pair with Pau Gasol. Pau with a young big, Mike Miller, and Rudy Gay is 80 percent of a good starting unit.

That makes Conley available at "5", and if he is, there is a good chance the Pacers and Celtics will be able to strike a deal.

If they like Conley so much I wonder if that would make Lowry available. From what I've seen of him I think he is going to be a very good starting pg for somebody.

Trader Joe
06-10-2007, 08:17 PM
If Conley is there at number 5, someone in the Atlanta front office needs to be fired immediately.

avoidingtheclowns
06-10-2007, 08:41 PM
^^ well they could like law more @ #11... but regardless of the draft everyone involved with the hawks should be fired.

idioteque
06-10-2007, 10:08 PM
Conley should go at 3. They've passed on so many PG's int he last few years or so that they're absolutely due to take a PG in the draft. They're stacked at most positions, but Speedy Claxton as your PG just isn't going to cut it.

Personally, if I were them I'd draft Law because I think Law will be a better player sooner, and I think that the Hawks have the talent to be a good team, if only they have a really good ready made PG like Law. Conley is going to take a year or two to reach his potential.

Kegboy
06-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Personally, if I were them I'd draft Law because I think Law will be a better player sooner, and I think that the Hawks have the talent to be a good team, if only they have a really good ready made PG like Law. Conley is going to take a year or two to reach his potential.

Along those lines, I read Sean Deveney's mock today, and he has ATL taking Horford and Law. He argues they have the best chance to contribute now, and Knight and Woodson are under pressure to win now or be out on the street.

DisplacedKnick
06-11-2007, 07:08 AM
Atlanta really needs to be working the phones. Their problem is they need to start winning pretty quick - and should be set up to do that.

So with the 3 pick IMO they need to take either Wright or Horford (Wright's the monster talent but Horford's more of a sure thing) - but first they need to have someone interested in Shelden Williams, who really came on at the end of last season (double-doubles his last 4 games). Then they have to figure out what they're doing with Josh Smith and Marvin Williams (who also finished strong).

They're set up with so many players who can initiate the offense that they don't need a monster PG - just someone competent.

I don't know where this all ends up for them but they have a ton of options. In fact, if there's one team with the pieces to get KG (picks, a good young player or two and filler) IMO it's Atlanta. They could offer the 3rd pick, both Williamses (or Shelden and Smith) and filler like Lue, Claxton, etc.