PDA

View Full Version : WOW, and I complain about tix prices

indygeezer
06-08-2007, 06:55 AM
Out of the LA Times today
+++++++++++++++++++
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-plaschke8jun08,0,6562828.column?coll=la-home-sports

How can you be happy about it?"

The guy was angry, bitter, sarcastic, couldn't stop talking about the most galling Lakers announcement of the summer.

Kobe Bryant's demand for a trade?

No, the Lakers' demand for higher ticket prices.

"The team is dull, uninteresting…. We're going to be seeing a lot of bad basketball."

The guy was upset at a team moving down in the standings while moving up in ticket cost.

The guy was wondering why he has to pay an extra $4,100 more per year, per ticket, to watch a team that is seemingly so hopeless, even a lifelong fan like Bryant couldn't take it anymore.

"It looks like a dynasty all right — a dynasty of failure."

His name is Joe Smith, he has owned Lakers season tickets since they moved to town 48 years ago, and, man, he's mad.

So mad, he's going to renew his four season seats.

So mad, he can't wait for October.

"What can I say? I love being there," he said with a sheepish laugh. "And I'm not the only one."

P.T. Barnum should have owned a team in this town. Its general manager could have been ***an. Its nickname could have been the Grifters.

Only in Los Angeles can major professional sports teams have awful seasons and hopeless futures and still raise ticket prices.

Only in Los Angeles will the fans whine and gripe … then secretly hope the guy sitting in front of them will give up his seats so they can sit closer.

"Many years ago, Jerry Buss asked me what I thought about raising prices from $200 to $250," recalled Smith, a former record mogul. "I told him, in this entertainment town, nobody will blink. So he's just kept doing it, and doing it, and still nobody has blinked."

Even in the wake of the recent Clippers and Lakers season-ticket price farce, few have budged.

First, the Clippers, even though they were arguably the most underachieving team in the NBA last season, announced a stunning 10% increase in their average ticket price.

Fans threatened. Blogs roared. A story surfaced about an angry fan whose second-row seats increased $32,000 a year, to $70,000 overall.

And what has happened since then? Not much, really.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

:jawdrop:

2Cleva
06-08-2007, 08:15 AM
A look at ticket prices across the NBA

http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm?page=fci_nba_04-05.cfm

OTD
06-08-2007, 12:11 PM
I am tick headed, but like the Lakers is that per game for 4 people or 1 game per person. thanks

Naptown_Seth
06-08-2007, 12:27 PM
I am tick headed, but like the Lakers is that per game for 4 people or 1 game per person. thanks
4100 over 41 games (plus pre-season probably thrown in as "free"), so his ticket just jumped $100 per game for EACH seat.

Maybe his $500 ticket went to $600. The Pacers haven't jumped that bad down low, but they have gone up quite a bit. The front row floor on the sides run $500+ per game and I could see them jump to $550 in a single off-season, which would be about the same as this situation (they might have done that already).

It sounds crazy, but that is the extreme case and still isn't as bad in % increase numbers as it sounds in raw dollars.

You could hear that Trump made $20,000 more this year...then find out it was a .01% increase to his total income, our version of the 10 cent raise or something. :)
(ps, don't check my math there, I was just roughing it :) )

Naptown_Seth
06-08-2007, 12:31 PM
A look at ticket prices across the NBA

http://www.teammarketing.com/fci.cfm?page=fci_nba_04-05.cfm
BTW, if you paid $8 to park for a Pacers game give me a call. I'll meet you on Delaware and valet it for you for $7 (no tip required either). I could valet 5 freaking cars and make a pocket of change for basically driving/walking 2 blocks. :)

CableKC
06-08-2007, 12:46 PM
:confused::hmm::confused:

ABADays
06-08-2007, 01:38 PM
32 THOUSAND more to 70 THOUSAND!!!!!!!! You gotta be out of your freaking mind.

JayRedd
06-08-2007, 01:48 PM
32 THOUSAND more to 70 THOUSAND!!!!!!!! You gotta be out of your freaking mind.

Or just be Jack Nicholson.